• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
There are a few hiccups, like how the tip of the paddle in the beginning is popping in and out of her hand, and one scene where she looks... awkward on Switch with the camera also being further away for whatever reason.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Having never played this before and not really knowing that much about it (beyond the fact that it's very psychological) are there any spoilers in this footage that I'd regret seeing? I'm already 100% buying the game.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Having never played this before and not really knowing that much about it (beyond the fact that it's very psychological) are there any spoilers in this footage that I'd regret seeing? I'm already 100% buying the game.

I dunno. :P The comparison vid isn't that long. Plus you can mute it if you want to not hear the narration.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
You definitely lost some shadows and texture quality in certain scenes but the overall quality of the look of the game doesn't feel lost. Incredibly impressive.

If this uses adaptive resolution, the rumored Switch Pro would do wonders for it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for Digital Foundry, but my first take is that that looks Panic Button-tier.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but my first take is that that looks Panic Button-tier
really? to me it looks much closer to the other console versions compared to what panic button does, plus it's basically the same frame rate as the ps4 version while panic button is only able to run the games on switch by cutting the fps in half.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Hellblade is 900p/30fps on PS4 it's a good step above IMO

really? to me it looks much closer to the other console versions compared to what panic button does, plus it's basically the same frame rate as the ps4 version while panic button is only able to run the games on switch by cutting the fps in half.

I was intending that to be a compliment! I don't think I'd seen anything yet beyond Panic Button's performance on a conversion, but I might have missed something at some point; I was trying to say that it was in line with what I was used to being the high watermark... but in light of these comments, maybe I should reappraise my high watermark!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Very impressive to show the graphical limitations of the Switch! Legit best looking 'realistic' game on the Switch?

I'd be curious to know the res and FPS as well (doesnt pro and X have an uncapped mode?)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still...

12bW.gif

I have no idea what trickery Ninja Theory or QLOC employed but this looks impressive as hell (no pun intended).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Still...

12bW.gif

I have no idea what trickery Ninja Theory or QLOC employed but this looks impressive as hell (no pun intended).

This is UE4 right? I wonder if they took more advantage of the 2x FP16 processing that the Switch employs, which is apparently really easy to take advantage of in UE4 compared to other engines.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the image detail abruptly jump to terrible quality at roughly the 1:00 mark in the first video? Is it pre-rendered up to that point or something?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
wow that conversion is mighty impressive. Solid port by Ninja Theory to get it to run on the Switch looking like that.

Probably one of the best looking games if not the best non-streamed game on the Switch

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was intending that to be a compliment! I don't think I'd seen anything yet beyond Panic Button's performance on a conversion, but I might have missed something at some point; I was trying to say that it was in line with what I was used to being the high watermark... but in light of these comments, maybe I should reappraise my high watermark!
oh, sorry. i thought you meant panic button tier as a negative :)
i do find their work pretty impressive too, doom was a blast on switch.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, quite impressive. Cuts are obvious, but the overal look is preserved. I'm really curious what it will be like in handheld mode though, because that's how I play Switch. If it can look similar to this, I'll get the game just as a visual showcase for a handheld.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, that confirms a buy from me. Even though I already own the game on PS4 (and Xbox One X with Game Pass) I really want to support these kinds of graphical showcases on the Switch. Incredibly work all around.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
wow that conversion is mighty impressive. Solid port by Ninja Theory to get it to run on the Switch looking like that

Its QLOC, great porters.

Honestly, the hallmark of an excellent downport is whether or not one would recognize the sacrifices made when experiencing the downported version in a vacuum.

This passes the test with flying colors from what i see there.

Yes the scale of the game is different from other AAA games and its primarily created as a graphical showpiece, but that's exactly why porting it to the Switch shines. Having modern GPU tech shows exactly the difference between Switch and Wii u/last gen

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Too be fair a youtube comparison is always going to favor the lower platform greatly. Maybe times ps3/360 games looked very similar to Xone/PS4 on YT, but in reality it was not the case.

That said what I saw there on switch looked good.

but my friend just told me the other day the game is bad, he said it was the worst fetch quests. he played it because it just came to gamepass.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
One thing that I always find a little weird is when ports (usually downports) have scenes that are just wholesale 'brighter' than in other versions. Take this bit, for example:

Sure there's downgrades in lighting but that doesn't really explain why the entire picture is a fair few shades brighter than in the other.

Maybe it's just capture differences, I don't know.

(Still a great port though)

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I always find a little weird is when ports (usually downports) have scenes that are just wholesale 'brighter' than in other versions. Take this bit, for example:

Sure there's downgrades in lighting but that doesn't really explain why the entire picture is a fair few shades brighter than in the other.

Maybe it's just capture differences, I don't know.

(Still a great port though)

That is typically because the layer of shadowing is missing. You can see that the picture in general has the same brightness, because the background is the same color. But her face is brighter, because it's missing AO or some other kind of shadowing/shading.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Even the framerate looks solid, I might get this game even if just to support the devs and encourage more games of this kind on switch.

Oct 26, 2017
They got about as close as they could've. Genuinely impressive. If someone showed me the Switch footage without any context, I'd struggle to tell you what system it's for

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. There are some unfortunate concessions being made, but it's a damn good port nonetheless. Keep on keeping, QLOC.

Dec 23, 2017
Its QLOC, great porters.

Honestly, the hallmark of an excellent downport is whether or not one would recognize the sacrifices made when experiencing the downported version in a vacuum.

This passes the test with flying colors from what i see there.

Yes the scale of the game is different from other AAA games and its primarily created as a graphical showpiece, but that's exactly why porting it to the Switch shines. Having modern GPU tech shows exactly the difference between Switch and Wii u/last gen
Yep. Seriously Nintendo has hit the jackpot with switch. Been saying for ever modern architecture over raw power. Hopefully Nvidia keeps them on the right path.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is UE4 right? I wonder if they took more advantage of the 2x FP16 processing that the Switch employs, which is apparently really easy to take advantage of in UE4 compared to other engines.

Yes, it's UE4. I don't know all about that technical mumbo jumbo but I do remember reading something about the Switch being able to reach "50%" of the XONE with proper optimization and this might be the first time I can actually see that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
That is typically because the layer of shadowing is missing. You can see that the picture in general has the same brightness, because the background is the same color. But her face is brighter, because it's missing AO or some other kind of shadowing/shading.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Shame that there doesn't seem to be a way to just 'lower the brightness' in that particular scene. Or maybe there is, I don't know lol

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yep. Seriously Nintendo has hit the jackpot with switch. Been saying for ever modern architecture over raw power. Hopefully Nvidia keeps them on the right path.

People have always underestimated advances in architecture through different forms of visual rendering and that's a real problem. It hit me like a ton of bricks when they did resident evil revelations on 3DS. That's still the biggest demonstration of the technique, taking something with the GPU power or less of a gamecube and making it look very similar to the last gen Resident evil games through nothing but how the game rendered its graphics through the more modern GPU featureset

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
thats some insane work, you can definitely see some downgrade but damn........on a switch screen its going to look insane

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it jumps from ballpark 1:1 to this, within seconds of the same sequence.

I am far from a graphics expert but my best guess would be the quick camera panning that happens right before there is causing a temporary drop in resolution, due to the lack of culling going on when basically 270 degrees of the world is in cute in a short amount of time.