• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
So, if it's not pre-rendered, why are there some cuts when going from a cinematic to gameplay ? The video playing could be a higher resolution kinda 180° render where you can still pan around.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, though I'm now not sure if that's the bit people are accusing of being pre rendered.

Think I'll just wait for the DF video

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
In that first bit with the boat, cant you move the camera? Can someone check?

If so cant be pre rendered?

If they are pre rendered, then they wouldn't want to do it too above the switch native performance as it you would be able to see the seams more

The transition to gameplay happens before the credits start appearing.

It then switches back to a video when Senua docks the boat.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see who else it could be honestly considering QLOC was behind DD and RE4 PC ports. They know their stuff and they're good at it.
Yes and they're also Capcom's go to PC port studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see them handling more Switch ports of the Capcom games they've worked on previously (RE5, RE6, DMC4 SE, DmC DE, USF4, Dead Rising 1, etc).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
y'all talking about pre-rendered scene and im like, the game is going to look like hell when there will be more than 1 ennemies...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
UE4 is a beast. It gets optimised in each iteration and can work on many devices. i wish that they would support more phones which are stronger than iPhones yet some UE4 games like Fortnite won't run on them.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I think they didn't use the highest fidelity for the cutscenes so that the fade out isn't as brutal. Though to be honest there are some scenes where the difference is brutal. There's a segment after a certain boss that looks pretty damn poor on Switch. It's just a two minute backtrack but boy that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Still massively impressed with the port.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that they picked settings closer to the Switch just so the transition isn't so jarring. The best tricks are the ones that are harder to notice.

Looks about what I expected from a Switch port. The cutbacks in fidelity are very clear to see. I don't think it looks "fantastic for the Switch", it just looks like your typical pared back port.

Keeping the hardware in mind when evaluating how it looks is a very fair way to judge this or any port. The game does look very good for a Switch port. If everyone used your line of thinking, no port would be impressive since they are all pared back.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a loss in clarity and detail, but for the hardware in question, this is very impressive looking. I'm just glad this game is reaching a broader audience. It's a masterpiece.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
My good, nice job there.
Just checked how long to beat it and it's 7-9 hours to beat/complete it.

Hmm, tough cookie for 30 dollars for me, but I'll keep watching it.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually impressed they managed to retain the fake Global Illumination. Makes the lighting look ahead of anything from the last generation. Docked screenshots look good to me, but portable... kind of rough. Let's see how it looks on the Switch screen.

Quite a few Switch games have global illumination. Snake Pass, Octopath Traveller, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fortnite, Doom, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, Kirby: Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces and Smash Bros Ultimate all immediately spring to mind!

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I wish they could have retained the "spark" in her eyes, at any cost. It's a game with a large number of close-ups around her face and now it looks sterile.

Commendable effort, still. This experience deserves a try, whatever the version and its limits.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Looks fantastic and anyone saying otherwise isn't saying so in good faith, lol.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That console war ain't gonna be won in good faith.

lol, aint that the truth.

I'm holding out on playing this game because I really want to play it on Switch...and I'm waiting for the rumored hardware announcements before I jump in on a Switch. It's getting harder and harder to wait every week with new awesome content hitting this system.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic and anyone saying otherwise isn't saying so in good faith, lol.

Oh yes that has to be it!

Or we actually watched the video without Nintendo tinted glasses on.

1k1mU3q.jpg

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

1k1mU3q.jpg

I mean, that's exactly it. People saying it "doesn't look good" are effectively ignoring all other factors (platform, mobile, etc). On a portable device and a portable screen, this is going to look fantastic comparatively to a lot of Switch games, and is impressive given the hardware. No one here is wearing "Nintendo Tinted Glasses". We're all just reasonable adults who aren't emotional invested in hardware companies.

The game looks good.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

1k1mU3q.jpg

Both of those look pretty blurry in that screenshot. That's what happens when you take a screenshot from a moving camera scene in a video, you get motion blur. There are plenty of screenshots being shared in this thread which look very impressive.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's exactly it. People saying it "doesn't look good" are effectively ignoring all other factors (platform, mobile, etc). On a portable device and a portable screen, this is going to look fantastic comparatively to a lot of Switch games, and is impressive given the hardware. No one here is wearing "Nintendo Tinted Glasses". We're all just reasonable adults who aren't emotional invested in hardware companies.

The game looks good.

Well unfortunately this video and thread is about comparing hellblade Switch to another version of hellblade not some other switch games, and no it does not look good as presented in the video.

You accusing other posters of bad faith is ridiculous, as if we aren't capable of viewing a video for what it is and forming an opinion.

Both of those look pretty blurry in that screenshot. That's what happens when you take a screenshot from a moving camera scene in a video, you get motion blur. There are plenty of screenshots being shared in this thread which look very impressive.

Blurry is your take away from that comparison? lol okay.

Mar 11, 2019
Its pretty sad when people who express their opinion by stating that it does not look good are marked as console warrior. To me Senua's character model on the switch looks really great and I was surprised by how good it looks. But anything outside that, in part by the lighting and lower resolution looks bad. And this is me going off on youtube videos and comparing to the playstation version, I am sure it looks better irl. And even if I would not compare it to the ps4 version I would have come to the same conclusion.

If you are asking if it is impressive that this game is running on a switch, then I would agree considering it is a port from a significantly more powerful console. But there comes a point where the downgrades will slightly take away from the experience and simply make the game not look that good anymore. However if mobility is important or the switch is your only console then it is really great to have the option to play this game and other games such as mk11.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just put a couple hours into it. Never played it or even seen it running on other consoles before. Went in blind just bought on a whim.

My impressions:

Graphically it's more than adequate. I'm not a graphics whore though and I think pretty much any game looks plenty good from the past 10 -15 years or so, as long as they don't actively look bad, if that makes sense. Like I still think RE4 looks amazing on GC so I'm not really a picky person. So Hellblade mostly looks great to me. I had one part where a rock texture in a pile of rocks didn't load, so they all had texture and then one was just a smooth n64 looking cube type thing on the ground, that was ugly. Also her hair freaked out for like 10 minutes and kept twitching, don't know if those are switch problems but they don't look particularly good. The only way to stop her hair from going nuts was to enter photo mode in the game.

The rest has been great. Audio is great. Played with headphones and the game docked. Controls are fine, not too complicated, I hate games that make me push hella buttons to do anything.

Overall I don't think there is anything to complain about when playing docked, my standards aren't the highest sure, because I really only care if the game is fun, and so far Hellblade has been fun. Graphics of course won't be as good as other machines but if that ruins the game for you I guess that's your own issue. It's definitely not the best looking game on Switch and I wouldn't buy it to show off what the Switch can do graphically.

As a side note, I started playing God of War the other day, and I think the camera perspective, setting, and gameplay are roughly similar, and I can honestly say that while GoW technically looks better, it also made me want to vomit with its excessive motion blur and camera shake. I turned down the motion blur but I still couldn't play the game for very long without feeling sick. I'd guess, though again I haven't watched Hellblade on other consoles, that the graphical effects possible with "good graphics" on Hellblade might even make for a worse experience, if it's anything like GoW.

After Hellblade I'll try GoW again because I'd like to understand the hype, gonna dive into the menu again and see what other things I can change to make it work with my stomach.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Just put a couple hours into it. Never played it or even seen it running on other consoles before. Went in blind just bought on a whim.

My impressions:

Graphically it's more than adequate. I'm not a graphics whore though and I think pretty much any game looks plenty good from the past 10 -15 years or so, as long as they don't actively look bad, if that makes sense. Like I still think RE4 looks amazing on GC so I'm not really a picky person. So Hellblade mostly looks great to me. I had one part where a rock texture in a pile of rocks didn't load, so they all had texture and then one was just a smooth n64 looking cube type thing on the ground, that was ugly. Also her hair freaked out for like 10 minutes and kept twitching, don't know if those are switch problems but they don't look particularly good. The only way to stop her hair from going nuts was to enter photo mode in the game.

The rest has been great. Audio is great. Played with headphones and the game docked. Controls are fine, not too complicated, I hate games that make me push hella buttons to do anything.

Overall I don't think there is anything to complain about when playing docked, my standards aren't the highest sure, because I really only care if the game is fun, and so far Hellblade has been fun. Graphics of course won't be as good as other machines but if that ruins the game for you I guess that's your own issue. It's definitely not the best looking game on Switch and I wouldn't buy it to show off what the Switch can do graphically.

As a side note, I started playing God of War the other day, and I think the camera perspective, setting, and gameplay are roughly similar, and I can honestly say that while GoW technically looks better, it also made me want to vomit with its excessive motion blur and camera shake. I turned down the motion blur but I still couldn't play the game for very long without feeling sick. I'd guess, though again I haven't watched Hellblade on other consoles, that the graphical effects possible with "good graphics" on Hellblade might even make for a worse experience, if it's anything like GoW.

After Hellblade I'll try GoW again because I'd like to understand the hype, gonna dive into the menu again and see what other things I can change to make it work with my stomach.
Solution to your god of war issues...go play The Order 1866 for about 30 minutes then play GOW it'll feel smooth. Bring a barf bag to The Order!

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it in portable mode. The only really bad looking area are the woods after a certain boss. That literally looks like vaseline smeared all over it. Some of the later stages look very nice, and I was continually impressed with the performance throughout. Small hiccups here and there, but the framerate remained mostly solid, and even larger fights stayed perfectly playable.

Using good headphones in handheld mode is transformative... holy shit.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah the resolution seems to drop really low in undocked mode, that's the area they chose to "sacrifice" (bad pun). The transitions between prerendered video and gameplay can be pretty rough.
It's fine for me though, even xenoblade 2 wasn't an issue, I'll live with that.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow; that is a pretty amazing conversion! Is this one of those games which is streaming-only on the Switch? Nonetheless you would never think there's a huge gap in power between the two consoles by watching this footage!

Oct 27, 2017
My good, nice job there.
Just checked how long to beat it and it's 7-9 hours to beat/complete it.

Hmm, tough cookie for 30 dollars for me, but I'll keep watching it.

I bought it on PS4 when it was on sale for about £16 and felt like that was a good price. It's an extremely impressive game in terms of visuals and technical accomplishment, but also the acting and performances. I really liked the combat but it is pretty simplistic compared with similar games like God of War, and it has some really interesting puzzles and a lot of reality-bending headfuck stuff like a section that felt like it belonged in Silent Hill. If you like games with a strong narrative hook, the idea of a simplistic combat game with a lot of emphasis on puzzles and have any interest in the Celts or Norse gods, I would definitely recommend you pick it up. It's a stunning game in many ways.

Oct 27, 2017
The game and port itself is good. Some framerate issues here and there.

But lets be honest, the game icon is HORRIBLE

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Great to hear such good things. Will pick up today!

My 2 cents on the game length; Great! I'm happy this game isn't a bloated mess. Even seemingly simple games such as Yoshi's Crafted World are getting bogged down by weird and unnecessary padding. Happy to hear about a game that is succinct and knows what it is without trying to be anything more.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I don't see the issue with the icon, looks fine to me. Just a simple logo. I'd rather that than a close-up image of the protag's face.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

1k1mU3q.jpg

Isn't this cherry picking one poor looking scene and judging the whole video or game based on it? It's a given that certain parts will fall way short considering the gap is performance but as a whole it does look good for the hardware.

I'm more or less interested to know what the resolution of the prerendered videos are and how they're managing transitioning to game-play.

If someone can post png screenshots, we can do some pixel counts.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this cherry picking one poor looking scene and judging the whole video or game based on it? It's a given that certain parts will fall way short considering the gap is performance but as a whole it does look good for the hardware

I highlighted it after being accused of bad faith posting being the only reason to not find the port "fantastic". I don't think it looks fantastic in comparison at all.

Now it may be a great conversion to the switch all things considered but the point of the video is a comparison and judging it on that solely is what I'm doing.