• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
After playing for a couple hours, my take is that it's a great port and it looks good, but it doesn't come close to being the best looking Switch game. I just find it impressive that they could successfully port such a demanding game in the first place.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's about what i would expect a switch port to run and look like. not to diminish the effort as it's a great port but if ninja theory made a hypothetical 360 port this is a give or take of what we'd get

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
People tend to forget that the 360 and PS3 only has 512 megs of ram where the switch has 4 gigs.

I also reinstalled this on my pc and played it on the lowest settings which are lower than the switch version.
I also found out that a lot of her visions on every version are FMV played over the scene. Anything where she recalls talking to people.

I hope df does a piece on this version it should be interesting.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could fund more exclusive third-parties by offering co-development with their in-house teams.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare. Surely Nintendo selling 40 million odd Switches ar a rate of 15+ million a year is all it should take for this kind of thing to happen.

It boggles my mind on a daily basis that we see more support from third parties / dev studios going to exclusive VR content than the Switch. Boggled beyond belief

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
it's about what i would expect a switch port to run and look like. not to diminish the effort as it's a great port but if ninja theory made a hypothetical 360 port this is a give or take of what we'd get

Not even remotely. The Switch is far ahead of XBox360 in terms of everything. Of course it would be possible to squeeze this game (and every other game) into a X360, but it would be hard to recognize afterwards, for starters it would be a nightmare for the developers to fit it in (almost) 512MB RAM (Switch has more than 6x RAM capacity of X360).

The Switch capabilities are much nearer to XOne than X360.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
After playing for a couple hours, my take is that it's a great port and it looks good, but it doesn't come close to being the best looking Switch game.
Im quite impressed with the videos I've seen, and can't think of some outright better looking game. Doom looks quite good too, but t's kind of boring looking compared to this (IMO). Then there are wonderfully colorful and crisp Nintendo's games like Mario Odyssey or Captain Toad, which are also 60FPS, but this looks more "current gen". What did you have in mind?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a logistical nightmare. Surely Nintendo selling 40 million odd Switches ar a rate of 15+ million a year is all it should take for this kind of thing to happen.

It boggles my mind on a daily basis that we see more support from third parties / dev studios going to exclusive VR content than the Switch. Boggled beyond belief
I think beyond bussiness reasons, bigger dev studios tend be more attracted to making games using the latest and advanced tech.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know but the gameplay parts look like ass so no point for me
Edit: saw some more screens that look pretty decent, maybe I was being too hasty to judge the first parts of the game I saw
You know that off-screen footage seen from PAX?
D37DZi4U8AAfpQ4.jpg

This ain't no pre-rendered cutscene.

Edit: More screen captures for the unbelievers!
D37BjF9UwAAeD4x.jpg

D37BjF8VUAMPztQ.jpg

D37BjF6U8AAuYht.jpg

D37B1GhU4AArh9d.jpg

D37B1GvU0AAYKYZ.jpg

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is bs. They do what the publishers say. Publishers are full of shit.
This pretty much sums up the situation most publishers have with Nintendo: If they don't see the money (or moneyhat for that matter), then it doesn't matter whether the system is capable or not.

With the Switch, tech was never the issue.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's looking really great for the Switch so far. Really impressed.

I loved the game when I played through it on the PC. The more people that get to try it out, the better. It's a really great experience.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This pretty much sums up the situation most publishers have with Nintendo: If they don't see the money (or moneyhat for that matter), then it doesn't matter whether the system is capable or not.

With the Switch, tech was never the issue.

"You want our new game on Switch? Then buy this inferior game that we brought just to see who the hell are you guys. We think Nintendo owners are bunch of kids and retro freaks who play nothing but Mario and Zelda, prove us otherwise. If this test game does not sell well, we won't even bother with Switch"

All those games sold really well and those publishers are now confused as hell. We're still waiting for them to make up their minds and bring continuous support. We will see if they will go for it or not.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
If cutscenes are pre-rendered then why there are some frame rate drop in them ? (just asking)

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Looks really nice, currently playing on the Xbox, game is good.

Might double dip in the future for a hanheld experience. If that holds up for the entire game, if anyone has sped through it in handheld please let me know =)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Could be that, it surprised me that it could impact playing videos.
Considering how good it runs, with virtually no dips (at least non that I could notice), with some really good lighting to boot, I can see them trying to frontload assets in-between these cutscenes.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played few hours, it's very solid with a good IQ but it's not better than Doom or Wolfenstein 2. Low level assets (except for the nain character), poor texture quality, aggressive LOD, low resolution… with just one character on screen. It works fine in the end, considering what the engine and the game have to do, but I don't call it as impressive.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Though the game has always been on my radar, I've not played the other versions -- it's one of the huge list of late-to-the-party games that I finally got round to on Switch. From that perspective, it doesn't feel visually compromised, I'm not feeling like I'm missing out as I'm playing (though I am of course aware that there are higher fidelity versions out there); it's still an absolutely striking game. These posters with "looks like ass" and "360 version" are straight trolling (like, absurdly so).

The visual compromises that are there are smart and well-implemented. I sort of wish I didn't know about the pre-rendered video trick, because then I wouldn't be looking for it, but it does the job. For folks who don't dwell on enthusiast forums analyzing all the minutiae that we do, it'll be a marvel.

And I know everyone says it, but wear headphones. It's silly that Switch doesn't support Bluetooth headphones, but this game's audio mix alone is worth the $5 for an aux extension cable if you're playing docked.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Played few hours, it's very solid with a good IQ but it's not better than Doom or Wolfenstein 2. Low level assets, poor texture quality, aggressive LOD, low resolution… with just one character on screen. It works fine in the end, considering what the engine and the game have to do, but I don't call it as impressive.
Doom was 1080p/60 on PS4 though, this one is 900p/30.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Here's yet another comparison. This one with a GTX 1060 3GB. Seems very comparable with the PS4 one.

The cutscenes look very close (because they are prerendered?), in gameplay you however clearly notice the big cutbacks in resolution, textures, lighting and overall detail.
Still an impressive showing for a handheld!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
People tend to forget that the 360 and PS3 only has 512 megs of ram where the switch has 4 gigs.

I also reinstalled this on my pc and played it on the lowest settings which are lower than the switch version.
I also found out that a lot of her visions on every version are FMV played over the scene. Anything where she recalls talking to people.

Wait wat? So basically all version use pre-rendered cut scenes hahaha?

Also, for someone like me who travels a lot, sitting in a dark room playing a game for 5 hours straight ain't really possible; but I have a 10 hours plane ride this week end and with good headphones, while everyone will be sleeping, it's going to be a glorious experience to play this game.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom was 1080p/60 on PS4 though, this one is 900p/30.
I know, I considered this. Doom have lots of enemies on screen, Hellblade is about atmosphere. Diffent engines, different strenghts in different games. Overall I find Doom more impressive despite I admit Hellblade have a good quality itself.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
This is astounding! Amazing work by QLOC. More proof that "Can Switch run it?" is a dumb question. Ubi has no excuses if AC3 Switch is a mess.

After playing for a couple hours, my take is that it's a great port and it looks good, but it doesn't come close to being the best looking Switch game. I just find it impressive that they could successfully port such a demanding game in the first place.

What do you think is the best looking Switch game, out of curiosity?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Wolfenstein, while being a lesser game, was technically one good step above Doom in my opinion.
What impresses me here is that a 900p/30fps game with AAA level of graphics could be ported to Switch while retaining the visual identity and the overall experience. It'll hopefully help opening the gates for more games of that caliber.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018

Yeah I don't know much about this game but I was starting to suspect that the transitions were there all along and just became easier to spot on Switch because of the disparity in quality. The shot of her face in the intro after it pans back from her kicking the boat looks like it just doesn't have rigging, so it doesn't resemble her cinematic counterpart like it's intended to maybe. I'm curious to see an analysis as well.

Edit: Just realised you were talking about visions specifically, I misconstrued things based on the other comment

Here's some more handheld gameplay though.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Im quite impressed with the videos I've seen, and can't think of some outright better looking game. Doom looks quite good too, but t's kind of boring looking compared to this (IMO). Then there are wonderfully colorful and crisp Nintendo's games like Mario Odyssey or Captain Toad, which are also 60FPS, but this looks more "current gen". What did you have in mind?

THE best looking game for me is probably something from Nintendo due to the artstyle, but in terms of realistic looking games I think Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and possibly Warframe, Outlast 2 and Observer are better looking to me. At least in handheld mode, as I'm yet to try docked.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
THE best looking game for me is probably something from Nintendo due to the artstyle, but in terms of realistic looking games I think Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and possibly Warframe, Outlast 2 and Observer are better looking to me. At least in handheld mode, as I'm yet to try docked.
Oh my god, I didn't know about Observer, now I have to play it. It looks incredible!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Wait wat? So basically all version use pre-rendered cut scenes hahaha?

Also, for someone like me who travels a lot, sitting in a dark room playing a game for 5 hours straight ain't really possible; but I have a 10 hours plane ride this week end and with good headphones, while everyone will be sleeping, it's going to be a glorious experience to play this game.

Not exactly.. when ever she talks to someone like druth.. or remembers people. Those parts are fmv of real actors played over the real-time scene.
Some effects like her reflection in this particular shard during a cutscene is also fmv.