• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a logistical nightmare. Surely Nintendo selling 40 million odd Switches ar a rate of 15+ million a year is all it should take for this kind of thing to happen.

It boggles my mind on a daily basis that we see more support from third parties / dev studios going to exclusive VR content than the Switch. Boggled beyond belief

But why would anyone do exclusive AAA games for Switch when even PS4 doesn't have any exclusive AAA games? AAA development is all about multiplatform games and when your base for the game is XBO/PS4 then depending on game you either can or can not port it to the Switch. It makes no sense to use Switch as a base when combined PS4/XBO userbase is like over 130 million not to mention then you would give graphical advantage for those competing games that use PS4/XBO as a base. It's not the fault of third parties that Nintendo constantly chooses way lower specced hw compared to MS and Sony. I mean obviously this is working for Nintendo but until they release similar hw to MS and Sony it makes no sense to expect similar AAA third party support.

Oct 26, 2017
Did you take your drugs on time? (not a joke -
if you don't, every once in a while everything starts looking blurry and glitchy, and it makes you think something is wrong with the graphics
)
Observer unfortunately isn't a very good port. It stutters, has massive load times, almost illegible text and can look blurry as hell at times.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Have you played it with headphone, because that changes everything
Yup. I always play games with headphones on for the first playthrough. The symbol puzzles were very tedious and annoying, and the combat was a chore and suffered from many of the same problems that God of War has. The game is gorgeous though, especially the final arena/battle area (I played it on the One X via game pass).

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's good for what it is I guess. Good for people that never played it, but it is rough. Trying to say that it's amazing might be lying to themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
After playing some more, I see some scenes where the game lacking ambient occlusion altogether really hurts the look. The PBR is there, the volumetric lighting is there, but in some scenes that combine very diffuse materials and interiors the look of the game really falls apart. Some scenes look damn near close to the "big versions" like the forest and beach at the beginning, and then others are looking really bad, kind of like a Wii game. I think ambient occlusion should be re-enabled, perhaps on a scene per scene basis, the resolution loss cannot be worse than just not having any ambient occlusion in those scenes. Same goes with wet materials, it really feels weird that some scenes have lots of reflective surfaces, volumetric lighting and SSR, and others where almost no effects seem to be at play.

Edit: yeah, that's definitely the case. Watching a video of the area I'm playing through right now, and obviously there is the mesh and texture differences that are nothing to write home about, but the game is relying on ambient occlusion to pull the look of those areas off, and without it it just doesn't work. There really should be ambient occlusion in this game.

Overall the performance is okay but yeah there are a few sections with horrendous performance. I remember one very short section with a single digit framerate.

Still loved the game, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't bothered by some performance issues.
Interesting. I'll probably have to bite.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Observer performance is...very bad lol

Overall the performance is okay but yeah there are a few sections with horrendous performance. I remember one very short section with a single digit framerate.

Still loved the game, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't bothered by some performance issues.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This game looked phenomenal on the One X, its remarkable to see how well these games scale between platforms.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kinda dissapointed that the game looks so blurry and not as sharp as in FMV sections the grain film doesn't help either, the difference is pretty noticeable.

It has been confirmed what is the base resolution for the game? It seems like it's dynamic like many Switch games.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda dissapointed that the game looks so blurry and not as sharp as in FMV sections the grain film doesn't help either, the difference is pretty noticeable.

It has been confirmed what is the base resolution for the game? It seems like it's dynamic like many Switch games.

It uses dynamic resolution on every console; so I'd expect Switch to follow suit.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Probably about 2 hours ish in (just beat the Fire guy, and getting ready to start the ice area). Maybe half that time was docked and half handheld.

I'm not a huge gfx person, and never played it on the PS4/XB1 so I cant say how it compares, but it is a very solid port from what I can tell. Docked it looks good and may be one of the best looking on the system, or at least up there. Undocked.. it works on the screen and is in no way unplayable but quality takes a dip. During the fire boss I noticed some big resolution drops (at least that's what I looked like to me) but again I didn't think it was in any way unplayable. But I also played XBC2 (Edit: UN)docked quite a bit so maybe I'm just trained lol.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Probably about 2 hours ish in (just beat the Fire guy, and getting ready to start the ice area). Maybe half that time was docked and half handheld.

I'm not a huge gfx person, and never played it on the PS4/XB1 so I cant say how it compares, but it is a very solid port from what I can tell. Docked it looks good and may be one of the best looking on the system, or at least up there. Undocked.. it works on the screen and is in no way unplayable but quality takes a dip. During the fire boss I noticed some big resolution drops (at least that's what I looked like to me) but again I didn't think it was in any way unplayable. But I also played XBC2 docked quite a bit so maybe I'm just trained lol.

How did it run in the fire heavy sections? I'm most curious on areas like that on the Switch.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
You know that off-screen footage seen from PAX?
D37DZi4U8AAfpQ4.jpg

This ain't no pre-rendered cutscene.

Edit: More screen captures for the unbelievers!
D37BjF9UwAAeD4x.jpg

D37BjF8VUAMPztQ.jpg

D37BjF6U8AAuYht.jpg

D37B1GhU4AArh9d.jpg

D37B1GvU0AAYKYZ.jpg
These are Switch real-time screenshots? Looks really good, but it does go down to a very low resolution at times, no?

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
How did it run in the fire heavy sections? I'm most curious on areas like that on the Switch.
I will say that I only played that area in undocked. Once I got to the "choose fire or ice door" is when I switched to undocked mode.

Saying that, I felt like the resolution probably dropped at those times more than at any other time. I never really noticed any heavy frame drops but I don't notice that as much as some people. Def was completely playable. Even though I felt the resolution dropped at those times, I didn't really notice it as much since you are sorta "rushed". Even in the one spot where you cause the fire stuff and have to like go through the few buildings and then have to fight 3 or 4 guys during it I never felt like the resolution was so bad that it was even close to unplayable. I feel like the artstyle hid a lot of the imperfections and the fact you are sorta rushed to complete those areas. Better then Doom undocked (pre all the patches, haven't played it since the patches) and def better than XBC2 undocked. I haven't played Wolf yet (still waiting on a price drop.. comeon! Same with Dark Souls.. come on with the price drops and sales lol)

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
These are Switch real-time screenshots? Looks really good, but it does go down to a very low resolution at times, no?
From my 2ish hours, docked I never noticed any extreme resolution drops. I felt those screens are accurate. Undocked there are times the resolution takes a good hit, but see my above comment, its mostly in very particle heavy areas (I may not have my lingo correct, mostly heavy fire areas).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Runs fine, and the resolution doesn't seem to drop docked. It runs just like before and after the section.
That area looks bad when there is no fire actually, because ambient occlusion is completely absent. They really should enable it. (Will post pics later to show)

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Runs fine, and the resolution doesn't seem to drop docked. It runs just like before and after the section.
That area looks bad when there is no fire actually, because ambient occlusion is completely absent. They really should enable it. (Will post pics later to show)
That's good. Docked mode I didn't really notice any resolution drops, but not like I was really looking for them (but I also don't think I fought anyone other than the guys at the door where you choose between fire and ice docked).

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of the trade-offs won't feel substantial when players are in-the-moment with things. The game is really effective at that throughout the game. I'd still be fascinated to see a DF-style breakdown comparison.
This is actually exactly how I felt I was so engrossed in the moment that even undocked when the resolution was dropping it wasn't like it detracted at all.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Played about 30mins in handheld mode.
Decided to stop and will get it on PC. I really liked what I've played so far, but the graphics/colors are a bit too ruff imo. DOOM is looking better.

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't notice any difference docked and undocked... It still looked like sub 720p early in the game when Senua left the boat.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 30mins in handheld mode.
Decided to stop and will get it on PC. I really liked what I've played so far, but the graphics/colors are a bit too ruff imo. DOOM is looking better.
How far did you get? I thought the color palette was pretty boring at the beginning but I wasn't sure if that was just the area since as I got further it seemed to get more colors.

And I didn't play Doom post patches, but pre patches this definitely looks better to me, doom was pretty blurry.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for this. Just bought it this morning and ordered a 400gb SD card for my Switch. That 128gb life just ain't working for me.

I'll definitely play this shit with headphones.

I've got a PS4 Pro and a high end PC but there's just something about about a Dev shoving a game onto hardware that shouldn't be able to run it well that really does it for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy this for another format, but I could on Switch. I can't really offer a great explanation.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
How far did you get? I thought the color palette was pretty boring at the beginning but I wasn't sure if that was just the area since as I got further it seemed to get more colors.

And I didn't play Doom post patches, but pre patches this definitely looks better to me, doom was pretty blurry.

doom post patches is great.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
THE best looking game for me is probably something from Nintendo due to the artstyle, but in terms of realistic looking games I think Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and possibly Warframe, Outlast 2 and Observer are better looking to me. At least in handheld mode, as I'm yet to try docked.
Wow, thanks for pointing me out to Observer! I simply didn't know about that game (not just that it's on Switch, I didn't know it existed)

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought this game because it was relatively cheap in the Mexican eShop and because of its psychologycal approach.

Kinda regretting a bit since it seems very dull. And the graphics are good, but I think Warframe's are even better.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017

I've played til the first fight. Hmmm maybe I will continue and check if it gets better.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I've played til the first fight. Hmmm maybe I will continue and check if it gets better.
I could be wrong as I was a little buzzed up while I was playing it, but I found once you got to the "choose fire or ice door" (which I think is right where you are at) that the color palette got a little more varied. I mean it never turned into a color bonanza, but wasn't as grey/drab as the beginning areas.

Edit: I will add that in handheld mode its never really a amazing looker, but I felt its completely serviceable and easily better than what Doom was pre patches handheld.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'd say something about the combination of using film grain and TAA can tend to make the image look more "lower res" than usual. I tried taking a screengrab while moving around to see how bad it would look:
D35cl5gUIAA96dN.jpg

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'd say something about the combination of using film grain and TAA can tend to make the image look more "lower res" than usual. I tried taking a screengrab while moving around to see how bad it would look:
D35cl5gUIAA96dN.jpg
was this docked or undocked? This is about what I was seeing undocked from what I recall from last night.

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics are fine. If you grew up with bad SNES ports on Gameboy (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam and countless more) games like Hellblade, DOOM,... make my jaw drop.
The only thing I don't like about this port is the choppy framerate at some places.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Doom improved a lot post-patches.
D35cl5gUIAA96dN.jpg
The TAA solution of UE4 isn't great, imo. It creates loads and loads of artifacts. The one in idTech is so much better.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Graphics are fine. If you grew up with bad SNES ports on Gameboy (Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam and countless more) games like Hellblade, DOOM,... make my jaw drop.
The only thing I don't like about this port is the choppy framerate at some places.

This!! The power of 7 watts.. it's enough fidelity. Just played links awakening on my 1997 Gameboy pocket for 3 hours straight and then grabbed my Switch to play Hellblade for an hour. This is such an surreal, unbelievable jump in graphics...

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Here's some more handheld footage:

And a comparison to the Xbox One version -- biggest difference is draw distance, some missing textures, and slight performance hiccups.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a PS4 Pro and a high end PC but there's just something about about a Dev shoving a game onto hardware that shouldn't be able to run it well that really does it for me. I couldn't bring myself to buy this for another format, but I could on Switch. I can't really offer a great explanation.

This is me too, along with the inability to offer a great explanation either… :P

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I still really wonder why the Switch version is so washed out. Like the black levels weren't set correctly, everything that should be black is grey.

I noticed that in the videos, too. It has in-game gamma settings, so it's possible that the people recording the video have it set too bright, or brighter than the other versions. In my experience, I have the gamma set properly and the black levels are good.

I'm just an hour or two in (playing docked), and haven't noticed big resolution drops. If they're there, they're likely happening in the midst of a lot of action and movement, but that screenshot is pretty representative of how the game looks. In terms of current-gen Switch ports, I'd compare the image quality to single-player Warframe rather than Doom or Wolfenstein; the latter two, at least to me, were noticeably softer looking.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I noticed that in the videos, too. It has in-game gamma settings, so it's possible that the people recording the video have it set too bright, or brighter than the other versions. In my experience, I have the gamma set properly and the black levels are good.

I'm just an hour or two in (playing docked), and haven't noticed big resolution drops. If they're there, they're likely happening in the midst of a lot of action and movement, but that screenshot is pretty representative of how the game looks. In terms of current-gen Switch ports, I'd compare the image quality to single-player Warframe rather than Doom or Wolfenstein; the latter two, at least to me, were noticeably softer looking.
The fire boss looked great, honestly. Lots of particles, lots of reflections and so forth, and the resolution stayed where it had to, and good framerate.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Really fascinating video technique. With all the chat of FFVIII and X's FMV/models hybrid chat elsewhere on here, feels like an evolved version of that.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'd usually prefer an experience like this on a big screen (and am pretty snobby about image quality), but tried Hellblade in handheld mode just now out of curiosity. Over two years into the Switch's life, it's honestly still surreal to play some games portably -- Hellblade looks fantastic on the 6-inch screen. Yes, the image is softer, but the game has a good enough AA solution that it all works. Never expected playing Hellblade in bed to be viable, but it is. Absolutely one of the most visually impressive handheld experiences I've had.

(Also, if portability encourages more people to play this with headphones, that's a plus.)