• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Isn't this cherry picking one poor looking scene and judging the whole video or game based on it? It's a given that certain parts will fall way short considering the gap is performance but as a whole it does look good for the hardware.

If someone can post png screenshots, we can do some pixel counts.

That very shot is framed closer and looks better and sharper in this video. (About halfway through) Idk if it's a patch or what it is.
I'm about to get home and buy/download it, pretty excited.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I highlighted it after being accused of bad faith posting being the only reason to not find the port "fantastic". I don't think it looks fantastic in comparison at all.

Now it may be a great conversion to the switch all things considered but the point of the video is a comparison and judging it on that solely is what I'm doing.

I don't understand that line of thinking even when comparing it to the PS4. There was no way it was ever going to be that close. The question should be how close did they get? While I agree that using pre-rendered cut-scenes is a serious cop out, I do think the hardware it's on has to be taken into consideration as well.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

That very shot is framed closer and looks better and sharper in this video. (About halfway through) Idk if it's a patch or what it is.

That's interesting...

Has to be they patched it, was just a one-time glitch or something. The scene is at the 11:30-ish mark. It looks like the same distance that is seen on other consoles.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I highlighted it after being accused of bad faith posting being the only reason to not find the port "fantastic". I don't think it looks fantastic in comparison at all.

Now it may be a great conversion to the switch all things considered but the point of the video is a comparison and judging it on that solely is what I'm doing.

You're still posting in bad faith if you expect ANY game to look fantastic compared to the PS4/XBO/PC version. The point of the comparison isn't to highlight how great the Switch version looks compared to the PS4 version but instead how close they got with the limitations of the hardware.

Either you missed the context completely or you're being obtuse just so you can crap on the port.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

I mean... you're still looking at the same lower-res model that lacks almost all facial animation that she used to have in this scene.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...in a way it's impressive that is running on switch. In the other hand it looks really rough, with many effects like AO, LOD, shadows and image quality being non-existent or really poor, resulting in quite the visual mess.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't think this game looks better than Doom or Wolfenstein 2, it doesn't have the be.

See, I believe this is the first visually impressive, 30 fps PS4 game to be ported on Switch. That's, kind of huge to me. I mean, the resolution is not even native on PS4 (900p). The only questions that matter are: does the game look adequate? Does it run consistently?

Personally, I used to think most of 30 fps PS4 games couldn't be successfully ported on Switch, but now I'm starting to think it's more possible than we imagined.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Holy at the console wars in this thread.

Pls stop comparing both version. The switch version looks nice for what it is.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
This port looks excellent and Ninja Theory's next game will almost certainly be shown at E3 in two months and has been developed for this generation of consoles. Hmmmmmm. Wonder if there's any chance that Microsoft would port Ninja Theory's next game to Switch down the road too.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're still posting in bad faith if you expect ANY game to look fantastic compared to the PS4/XBO/PC version. The point of the comparison isn't to highlight how great the Switch version looks compared to the PS4 version but instead how close they got with the limitations of the hardware.

Either you missed the context completely or you're being obtuse just so you can crap on the port.

You seem understand it's a comparison video and thread yet you want to put words in my mouth.

The bad faith poster is clearly you.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
In this shot you can see some small hairs on the bottom of her head. They fade out as the camera pans over
he3AxE4.png

Spu12ie.png

What I am guessing they did here was lower all of the assets/lighting/etc for it to run on switch and then rendered these videos in UE4's Sequencer using Senua's original high quality model. The video is probably playing on top of a more bare version of the scene (or they cull everything out when the video is playing) and it simply just fades in and out when needed to appear seamless.

There's a good few seconds in this video where you can see the fade happening slowly and you get two images at the same time
Fm4CooY.png

This isn't an artifact from motion blur. This fade happens while standing still. It almost appears that there might be multiple fades (the first part above with her model changing and then the second shot of the environment fading in.) Maybe they hide the character model switch during camera swings so they can hide it in motion blur and fade the environment in when the camera is still.

Who really knows. Its fascinating though!

This scene is at 18:23 in the above video.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
It's hard for me to Justify $30 for 6 hours of gameplay. As soon as a sales hits I will purchase.

Also Man this site reminds me of another site so much.

Staff Post
Oct 27, 2017

Official Staff Communication
Let's drop the back and forth and metacommentary, and try and focus on this new switch release and how it holds up, rather than make assumptions about each other. Thank you.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Looks fantastic.

It's 30FPS on PS4 too? That's a very impressive port.

Suddenly it seems that even some 30FPS games can be ported to Switch and look good, not only 60FPS games.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone even checked the pc files to see if it also uses videos for some cut screens. I see over 50 videos in the content files so I am guessing yes it does.

I mean it's not uncommon for devs to use videos for cutscenes as doing real time cutscenes is harder and takes time and resources

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nice that it's most solid 30fps and it's amazing that they got such a game running on Switch to begin with, but yeah, gotta say, IQ and effects took a pretty major hit. Really doesn't do justice to the beautiful art direction of the game at all. I have't picked up this game on any platform yet, but I think I'll just go with the XB1 version when I get it. No aching need to play this on the go.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Looks fantastic.

Suddenly it seems that even some 30FPS games can be ported to Switch and look good, not only 60FPS games.
It has dynamic resolution on PS4, and it doesn't hold native 1080p on PS4, or 900p on the base XBOX, or 4K on Xbox One X/1440p on PS4 Pro.
I have to say, now that I bought it and played the first few minutes, it reaaaally looks good in portable mode. I'd say it's the best looking current gen title on the system.
Has anyone even checked the pc files to see if it also uses videos for some cut screens. I see over 50 videos in the content files so I am guessing yes it does.

I mean it's not uncommon for devs to use videos for cutscenes as doing real time cutscenes is harder and takes time and resources
Hmmmm, would really like to see that in detail. Maybe the game already uses the fading in the cutscenes technique in other versions for very demanding ones, though obviously this version uses more prerendered cutscenes in that case.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ohh the movies are mostly things she sees and some trickery for reflections it seems.these are usually combined with real-time sets.

That's pretty cool

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Looks good. Better than in some of the shots posted earlier. It's blurry, sure, but the look of the game is there. Colour me impressed considering how it does on the other base consoles. Doesn't seem like there are any significant cutbacks undocked other than resolution either.
It looks better because the video is rendered at 1080p. Undocked footage shown at 1080p is silly when the Switch undocked is rendered at 720p max. Not an accurate representation of undocked IQ.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Neither is watching in on a monitor though. That's why direct undocked footage is tough to show correctly as it will always look better on the Switch screen than a 27 inch monitor (as I'm sure you know).
True, but capturing/rendering undocked at 720p still gives a better idea than rendering at a resolution undocked can never achieve. I prefer capturing/rendering undocked at 720p -- especially with the Switch YT app being a thing now. I guess there is no universal solution.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
you have no proof that they are pre-rendered. also does it really matter? O_O
It doesn't really matter to anyone who is just buying it to play the game. I already own it on steam, and after I saw the trailer I thought it would be a neat game to buy on switch just to see what its capable of. I already know its capable of playing video files, so no reason for me to buy it.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
True, but capturing/rendering undocked at 720p still gives a better idea than rendering at a resolution undocked can never achieve. I prefer capturing/rendering undocked at 720p -- especially with the Switch YT app being a thing now. I guess there is no universal solution.

That's fair, and yeah I did forget about the Switch YT app.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Doesn't the YouTube compression ruin it? I would agree if it were high bitrate 720p, but youtube's 720p is kinda trash and does not make the game justice.
IMO, just the starting area is a clear improvement over, say, Wolfenstein II running on the Switch, and we are talking about a game that is significantly more demanding on other platforms. (Though more of the indirect lighting is lost here)
It doesn't really matter to anyone who is just buying it to play the game. I already own it on steam, and after I saw the trailer I thought it would be a neat game to buy on switch just to see what its capable of. I already know its capable of playing video files, so no reason for me to buy it.
It's still very impressive.

Last edited:

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The technical achievement of making this current gen game (30fps on PS4) available on a non-stationary system without sacrificing atmosphere is incredible. This sets a strong new benchmark for what is possible on the Switch. So QLOC is the new Panic Button now?

Have been looking forward to this, I was only hoping for a physical (currently there seem to be no plans for a module unfortunately).

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
That's fair, and yeah I did forget about the Switch YT app.
The true challenge is comparing graphically intense games in a docked vs undocked video. Undocked gets a minor favorable boost.

Doesn't the YouTube compression ruin it? I would agree if it were high bitrate 720p, but youtube's 720p is kinda trash and does not make the game justice.
IMO, just the starting area is a clear improvement over, say, Wolfenstein II running on the Switch, and we are talking about a game that is significantly more demanding on other platforms. (Though more of the indirect lighting is lost here)
YT compression is an obstacle that can't be overcome. The issue is that undocked footage rendered above 720p often loses some of the blur the game has. It isn't completely inaccurate but it does paint the game in a slightly better picture. There's no simple solution, but I still prefer a undocked being shown at 720p.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic.

I know they are not exactly impressive looking games, but the Switch versions of Rime (after patches) and Yooka-Laylee look good and are 30fps, just like in other consoles.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Looks like a damned impressive port, certainly one I am going to add to my wish list.
Though it's always preferable to have everything rendered in-engine,from a "purist" point of view, using pre-rendered footage for non-interactive sections is the common sense approach and should be applauded rather than derided.
As a port this reminds me of the fantastic work Nixxes did with their port of Rise Of The Tomb Raider to the Xbox 360, where they used similar sorts of "shortcuts".

Should we list the hardware spec of the Switch here so some of the naysayers can actually see what these developers have had to work with in comparison to the Big Boys Toys?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The game runs fantastic in real-time. NOT cutscenes.

D35s_ldU8AEUKO-.jpg

D35cl5gUcAATv2A.jpg

D35cl5oVUAADCxf.jpg

Docked using screen capture feature of Switch. Haven't tinkered with photo mode yet.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The whole game isn't prerendered lol

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The game runs fantastic in real-time. NOT cutscenes.

D35s_ldU8AEUKO-.jpg

D35cl5gUcAATv2A.jpg

D35cl5oVUAADCxf.jpg

Docked using screen capture feature of Switch. Haven't tinkered with photo mode yet.
I hope the Switch Pro can pull off docked visuals in handheld, because this looks fine. But the low resolution of handheld right now kills it for me.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great, if I didn't own it already on PS4 I'd not hesitate to pick it up

Makes you wonder how far the Switch could be pushed. Third parties are basically just doing out house ports, what if someone actually did a ground up made for Switch AAA exclusive? I'd guess we'd see something that would really blow people's minds!

Dec 23, 2017
This looks great, if I didn't own it already on PS4 I'd not hesitate to pick it up

Makes you wonder how far the Switch could be pushed. Third parties are basically just doing out house ports, what if someone actually did a ground up made for Switch AAA exclusive? I'd guess we'd see something that would really blow people's minds!
Imagine that. You would think it's oresenc in the market would make this possible. Sadly not going to happen.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I hope the Switch Pro can pull off docked visuals in handheld, because this looks fine. But the low resolution of handheld right now kills it for me.

Yeah, that would be lovely. My hope is keeping the 720p screen (for cost/battery life purposes) -- what Senua's got going on in Docked Mode displayed on that 6-inch screen would be beautiful. And for games that are able to run at higher res than 720p on in a "pro"-version's Handheld Mode, downsampling does wonders (as Hyrule Warriors does in handheld mode on the current Switch). Given how many games on Switch use dynamic resolution, the rumored "pro" version has a whole lot of potential to instantly upgrade games without the need for a patch, and that's really exciting.

Back to the topic, I think I'm in for Senua on Switch now that I've got a 400GB SD card. Will probably download this weekend and bust out my UrbanEars Plattan ADVs. Still wincing at the icon, though.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo could fund more exclusive third-parties by offering co-development with their in-house teams.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This game looks like a solid port. Just bought and downloading now. Just watched Spawn Wave's video and it looked good. Was debating between this and the PS4Pro version...but I'm not stationary enough to enjoy most games anyways.

Have no issues with them doing pre-rendered rather than in-game for non-player controlled sections. The sections that are playable to me look fine for what the Switch is and how I'll play this game in portable mode like 90% of the time anyways lol

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Have no issues with them doing pre-rendered rather than in-game for non-player controlled sections. The sections that are playable to me look fine for what the Switch is and how I'll play this game in portable mode like 90% of the time anyways lol
The playable sections actually look very impressive as you can see from my screen caps. At times though you can notice the TAA being agressive but overall it avoids looking smeared or blurry unlike most other games that rely on a similar AA technique (i.e. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 base game).