• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That would suck. When's the last time she did new bayonetta lines, Smash 4 or Ultimate, right?

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, ideas:

-You play as Jeanne (Bayo would still be in it though so likely not)
-It's a prequel so she's younger (recast)
-It's a prequel but you play as her mother
-It's a recast, period, in present day (a la Kiefer, yuck)

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
If she has a confidentiality agreement, she must've been hired, right? I wouldn't be too worried yet.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Could this be a union vs non union thing? I don't know if Helena is in the union or not.

But also, did she do any new Bayonetta recording for Smash?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta presumably stars in Bayonetta 3, and while some think she might be a younger version of herself in this game (apparently there were rumors to that effect long ago), I still think Hellena could have pulled it off. Makes me doubt a possible recast was a creative choice.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the only trailer we have open with Bayonetta getting cut in half? Maybe she's dead.

(They'd probably still have her for VO stuff, though. They might just straight-up not be at the point of recording dialogue yet, which would be baffling.)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Could this be a union vs non union thing? I don't know if Helena is in the union or not.

But also, did she do any new Bayonetta recording for Smash?
All of her dialogue in Ultimate was carried over from Smash 3DS/Wii U. And it would be weird if this game was non-union considering that Nintendo was starting to unionize their games recently.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i want to remain optimistic and think there's a reason behind a potential recast, or that hellena may possibly be playing another character.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The talk about confidentiality clause definitely makes it sound like they've been in contact with her regarding something to do as far as the game is concerned which doesn't seem like something they'd do if they just decided to get a different actor from the onset, but it's really hard to draw any conclusions. I'm actually shocked she's openly talking about it to this extent already, it makes me wonder whether Bayo 3 really is gonna be shown soon. My only two assumptions is either she really did get recast, or we won't be playing Bayonetta 3 as the "Bayonetta" we know (especially since she, y'know, dies in the teaser).

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
maybe Bayonetta gets possessed or something and gets a different voice

maybe the sun turns into a giant fish tomorrow

Nov 27, 2017
California
She ded in game
Lady Gaga took over as main voice
It's been nearly 4 years and they haven't recorded main voices
Cosplaying as Link took her voice away

choose your fate

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a different VA since we know the game has been in dev for a while. From the sounds of things it's just Nintendo that doesn't want to show it yet.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They probably wont start recording until close to the next showing of the game, that might not even be this year

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I was so happy when Bayonetta 3 was announced, now it just makes me sad

It was supposed to bring balance to the switch, not leave it in darkness!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
At this point I'm expecting the Metroid Prime 4 reboot to be shown and released before seeing a hint of this game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
She's pretty great in the role, her perfomance is huge part of the characterization and why I enjoyed Bayonetta as much as I did.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes actors with the title role ask for a bit too much money with a sequel, reasoning they're essential to the brand. Hopefully this wasn't a case of payraise hardball.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
You can sign confidentiality agreements if you were at some point privy to the details of a project, even if you were ultimately let go or not hired
Ah, right. We'll see then. Would be weird to me to hire her and then fire her, since they already have experience with her. Not like she was unproven and didn't work out. Unless the direction changed a bunch.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with a new va for old lady Bayonetta beating the hell out of angels and demons in a wheelchair with sawblade wheels or with a walker with no tennis balls on the feet

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the talks about Platinum wanting to change the formula for the series, I dread for this game to be reintroduced next year with no Bayonetta, brand new cast, different gameplay and for the fans to switch the narrative to "where is Bayonetta 3" to "we want a true Bayonetta 3".

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with a new va for old lady Bayonetta beating the hell out of angels and demons in a wheelchair with sawblade wheels or with a walker with no tennis balls on the feet
I lol'd at the walker with no tennis balls, haha 😆

Not even Platinum would make a game that crazy!!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 3 doesn't exist. She can't be a voice in a game that doesn't exist.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
the teaser trailer implies that she's dead no?
you likely play as someone else

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the game didnt have any trailer after announcement, I think it is very possible
We haven't had news for Xenoblade 3 either and yet we've gotten strong suggestions that they've already been doing VO for it. Nintendo just doesn't show updates on games with some exception unless it's near release, and Taylor implying her lack of presence despite a confidentiality agreement doesn't spell confidence in regards to it just being them not having done sessions yet.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had news for Xenoblade 3 either and yet we've gotten strong suggestions that they've already been doing VO for it. Nintendo just doesn't show updates on games with some exception unless it's near release, and Taylor implying her lack of presence despite a confidentiality agreement doesn't spell confidence in regards to it just being them not having done sessions yet.
Or it might be possible that xeno 3 is a much closer release, xenoblade 2 launched less than a year after the announcement, I wouldnt be surprised if xeno 3 release is even closer like a metroid dread type of deal

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This honestly feels like them cutting corners yet again when it comes to voice acting, which is a damn shame since we thought they were starting to make progress with Clubhouse Games & Age of Calamity. To be clear, I'm not trying to say that non-union actors can't put out good work. Just that this recast would be a damn shame.