Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Damn. Their final offer to her was $4000 USD. Taylor is asking people to boycott the game and donate their Bayo 3 money to charity instead

Bokoblin

Banned
Sep 14, 2022
This is outrageous. 4000 is nothing. But that ain't reason enough to boycott the game imo.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
$4000 for a voice acting gig as prominent as Bayonetta is insulting. I feel horribly for her for that.

That said, asking fans to boycott the game because of that and saying you'll do it "if you care about people" comes across as kind of exploitative and gross.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
$4000 for the 3rd game in a role that she completely owns

Not to mention her times performing in Smash and in the movie. GTFO with that shit wtf

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand stuff like this. Like Jennifer Hale certainly didn't work for $4000. Why not just pay appropriate salary to Hellena Taylor?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard such a heartfelt call to boycott a game. Definitely feel like I need to reevaluate now....

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
That low ball is insane, what the hell. Woooow. That's just awful. They have the money, just pay her properly what the hell??

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, are voice actors always fleeced like this? How is this a sustainable career otherwise?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
$4000 for a voice acting gig as prominent as Bayonetta is insulting. I feel horribly for her for that.

That said, asking fans to boycott the game because of that and saying you'll do it "if you care about people" comes across as kind of exploitative and gross.
I don't think she's the one being exploitative in this situation

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
$4,000 for a third installment in a renowned game series that she's been tied to for 13 years.
A game that will make millions mind you. Ridiculous.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking insane. Do we know whether that's on Nintendo or Platinum themselves?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Voice Over stuff is currently hell at the moment. Many of your favorite VO's are getting paid absolutely scarps.
This is one hell of a move made by her and it hope it shakes some things up, even if it's just Nintendo/Platinum re-evaluating a few things on their end.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Geez that is appaling. I wonder how much a leading role in a AAA game usually gets.

On another note totally separate from Bayonetta, I've always associated Platinum with cheesy stories and voice acting so if you tell me the reason for that is very badly paid voice actors then I'd believe you.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4000, her Voicework was only worth the equivalent of under 70 copies of the game, what the fuck.

This is a million selling series, if they were fucking her so hard, how little did they offer everyone else.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
This is dumb, how much was she payed for the two previous games? I don't know why she would be offered less for a role she already aced when probably they had to pay Hale more (since she's more famous IIRC)

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I love how some people boycott games for the smallest of reasons like a feature not being in or something bigger like no 60 FPS. But when its a game they really like they take pause in boycotting for the continuing mistreatment of VOs which is miles bigger than the amount of framerates and a feature being removed imo.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Not that we'll ever know, but considering who they hired I suspect the low offer was to dissuade her from wanting to return so they could get who they actually wanted. Which is completely shitty if that's the case.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also disgusting that they offered her such low pay and then tried to sell us on this excuse

Director Yusuke Miyata said it was due to "overlapping circumstances" and added, "Jennifer's performance was way beyond what we could have imagined."

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
$4,000 for one is the most iconic voice roles is wild. She is Bayonetta.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
So they decided they did not want to work with her and offered her a measly sum hoping she would decline?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
English voice acting for games and anime is going to come to a head soon, people can't continue to be paid pennies for all the work they do.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
$4000?!?

Yeah fuck off Nintendo/PlatinumGames. I'm gonna skip this one for now.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Nintendo is notoriously cheap with voice acting and Bayonetta is a pretty small series.

Wonder what the current actress got paid

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
$4,000 lol, I can afford to pay her at that level of compensation. This is just shameful and I don't blame her for not coming back.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
$4000 is shameful. Her performance is worth more far more than that and the franchise is definitely successful enough.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
I can totally get her call for a boycott, shitty VO treatment will continue to persist if this shit doesn't stop. These VO actors are constantly in a state of pay to pay check lifestyle unless you are one of the big dogs.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
There's no fucking way Hale settled for that low either

So they must have lowballed Taylor cause they really wanted to recast??

I don't get it, are voice actors always fleeced like this? How is this a sustainable career otherwise?
The dirty little secret is if you're not a major VA for western animation or Japanese anime, the reason why you have so many VAs do so many roles is specifically because the pay sucks otherwise. Video games have gotten a teensy bit better than anime dubs in that regard, but not by much and certainly comes with the caveat that it's the folks doing the big performance capture projects that get the better pay and benefits due to the physical aspect of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.