• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tareskog

Oct 30, 2017
Trondheim
Good news. Have some good memories from this one. I wonder if I can use my old cd-key from the boxed edition I have to activate it on Steam.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
for some reasons I still have fond memories of playing the game - I kinda liked it back then
Is this gonna be a F2P return?

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Now there's a name I never thought I'd see again.

This feels like one of those IPs that THQ Nordic would've scooped up, honestly.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Does it include the online components? I still enjoyed it for a while even though it was disappointing after following it for quite a few years and the cut features.

Would be cool to see something new done with the IP too.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This is a reminder of a time when many players defended monthly subs for a hack'n'slash game just because Bill Roper.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Is this going to be single player only or multiplayer of some sort?

Remember, the original release of Hellgate: London was met with some really harsh criticism about its pay to win systems.

217509588_ZSzik-2100x20000.jpg

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
This game was Destiny before Destiny, right? I remember it being pretty cool when I played the Demo.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
I played either a demo or beta of this back in the day. I remember it being really badly optimized, or my PC specs were not up to the task. In the caverns of my memory, it is grouped with Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa for some reason.

And I recall really liking the aesthetics and armor designs of the game, however I never got any of that armor or weaponry. Whatever I played was janky and weird, with guns that had zero weight to them. But I am willing to try this again now, all these years later.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Wait what? That's one of the games I haven't expected to ever see again. I'm curious, but I remember trying to play it in singleplayer 5-6 years ago, and it left not very good impressions for me, level design was incredibly shitty (which is expected for randomly generated levels, but still) and way too repetitive overall.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I was actually looking at ways of getting this to run a couple of weeks ago. What a weird surprise

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
IIRC it had a second live in asia?

I remember it being hyped up as the first 3D Diablo killer and it became a jumbled technical mess when it finally released.
Did they fix it? Was it fun to play?

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
What a terrible game that was. (IMO) I think back then it was my biggest disapointment I experienced.

I'm glad if there's any fans out there that will be able to play the game again.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
"The return of a sensational game! Hellgate is an action RPG game you have been waiting for. Since its first release Hellgate won the hearts of thousands of fans and now it's time to refresh memories and dip into the near future of 2038. For all mankind!"

none of this accurately reflects how I remember the reception to hellgate london lol ...way back in the offline-era

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
IIRC it had a second live in asia?

I remember it being hyped up as the first 3D Diablo killer and it became a jumbled technical mess when it finally released.
Did they fix it? Was it fun to play?
It was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time. Tried to be Borderlands before Borderlands got it right.

It was HELLA fun too, the gameplay felt like a FPS RPG.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that is unexpected. I really liked the concept about the game and played it a bit. It was buggy as hell and gameplay didn't really click. If it came with full online component without having to pay I might jump in on it.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wanting this so badly. The cinematics they released were so good!

I think I played some sort of beta for it because I ended up canceling my pre-order.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Still the closest we got to "Diablo as a FPS". I really liked it, despite the bugs. Too bad thry never improved on the formular :(

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember playing the original version way back when, it was interesting but far from the "sensational game" they cite. Not sure if I have the motivation to go back to it though, especially without any MP. I don't remember the SP experience being that great?

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
So is it just an SP release of the game? It's not a remaster or anything otherwise?

I'm sorta interested in the premise though. Not a huge MP guy so I might check this out.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I loved this game as a kid

I remember only 2 things about

The ending was dogshit and there was a guy with a parasite on his head who was the comic relief

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Damn, despite the game being a half-assed, buggy mess at release, I actually found Hellgate to be a pretty enjoyable diablo-clone. Will buy again.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Was kinda excited until I saw they took out multiplayer. Why even bother at that point.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game was fun when it was released but they shouldn't have even bothered to released this version.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I didn't know this was coming back. Guess I'll give it a shot again, and now it kinda makes me wanna go and see if Requiem is still playable..

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie, I'll play it. There were some cool ideas, but they released it way too early because they were out of dev money and it was really buggy. I had dungeons get generated that were literally impossible to complete because the geometry was wrong. Not sure what changed once it became an overseas only game with the Tokyo release. Hopefully some issues were addressed.

Deleted member 1845

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my dipshit buddies I met playing WoW bought a lifetime sub to this game when it launched. Made fun of him then and still make fun of him now over that decision.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That time I convinced a friend buying Hellgate over the first The Witcher-game.
"Dude, this is like Diablo. We will play this for yeaaaars to come."

Uhm.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I never actually got the chance to try the original Hellgate despite wanting to so I'm curious to give this a shot.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Oh shit im gonna buy. I always regret missing out buying a Disk at J&R in mid 2000s when they were selling it for 20 dollars.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Didn't the company that made Hellgate go out of business ages ago? Who's supporting this release?