• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also on this journey right now and just beat Rikku the first time in Hollow Bastion. Honestly the game is easier and shorter than I remember from playing it on my PS2 as a kid o.o For me the "break-point" was the Jungle, I died a few times to the hunter (I forgot his name) but after that I haven't had any big issues, I'm playing on Normal though since I'm mostly in for a story-refresher. That said yeah that Ursula fight in the open-sea was annoying, in the end I used my PS2 cheese tactic because she kept spamming thunder endlessly. I just let Arielle and Donald do most of the damage, healed them and simply evaded Ursula till she had 1 HP and then gave her a final whack.

I'm currently level 36, will that be enough for Hollow Bastion or should I grind a bit?
I didn't grind but I'm at level 45 after finishing Hollow Bastion -- I was a lot lower when I entered (like level 38?)

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't grind but I'm at level 45 after finishing Hollow Bastion -- I was a lot lower when I entered (like level 38?)

Thanks, yeah same for me, I'm at like 45 now that I'm fighting Rikku Ansem and honestly I'm surprised at how easy Maleficent and Maleficent Dragon were o.o I mean yeah I play on normal difficulty but I remember the fights being tough as hell and taken me days as a kid on the PS2.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Just started KH1 last night! Played a few hours, got up to a boss in Wonderland that kicked my butt a couple times.

Holy crap did I get lost looking for all the raft parts and the whole destiny isle section.

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, yeah same for me, I'm at like 45 now that I'm fighting Rikku Ansem and honestly I'm surprised at how easy Maleficent and Maleficent Dragon were o.o I mean yeah I play on normal difficulty but I remember the fights being tough as hell and taken me days as a kid on the PS2.
Yeah, Melificent was super easy. The Dragon was a little more challenging but I was just doing it wrong.

Other question -- does the Gummi Ship rear it's stupid head in another game? What was the point of this?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Melificent was super easy. The Dragon was a little more challenging but I was just doing it wrong.

Other question -- does the Gummi Ship rear it's stupid head in another game? What was the point of this?

Hmm out of curiosity, how did you fight the dragon? And yeah it makes a return in KH2 but I don't know if it does in any other game.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I feel like it's a relic of that late 90s/early 00s adventure game formula where they had to include EVERYTHING, like how the Sonic Adventure games would have half-assed kart racing minigames.

It comes back in II and III though I'd say it's an improvement. In III it's practically optional.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing on Proud mode? I remember playing KH2 on that mode (to get the secret ending more easily), though I don't think I did in the first game. I don't really remember anything about the difficulty in it.

I didn't like Chain of Memories at first, but I actually warmed up to it and had some fun with the combat. It was a neat little portable game.

I just beat Birth by Sleep, and that probably had some of my most and least favorite combat in the series. The difficulty spikes were very strange and binary; the game was both easy and frustrating. I haven't played KH2 in more than a decade, so I can't tell if I just misremembered enjoying some of the combat.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
I'm also in the midst of a series playthrough (though taking a break w/ RE2 now). So far, I've completed KH1, Re:CoM, watched the Days cutscenes, and wrapped up KH2 a couple days ago. Here's my advice, OP:

• Don't play Re:CoM. Chain of Memories worked well on the Game Boy Advance, but it seems almost no effort was put into updating the gameplay from its portable roots to a full-on PS2 game beyond presentation (and even that feels like a direct-to-DVD follow-up compared to KH1's cinematics, thanks to numerous scenes consisting mostly of talking haircuts in flat white rooms). The card battle system of the GBA game just doesn't work in a fully 3D environment and as a result, battles are frustrating and the entire game feels like a chore; Riku's quest in particular.
  • Watch Days before playing Kingdom Hearts 2. It provides much-needed context for the prologue chapter in KH2.
  • Play KH2FM on Critical Mode. I was skeptical of all the praise for this mode at first, but it really is a big step up from Proud thanks to those extra abilities you get at the outset.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 is really rough compared to everything else in the series. Sure, the KH story is simple, but the Disney world stories are plain bad and the environments are pretty terrible. KH2 is a gargantuan leap from KH1.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I should reall jump in here and play along. I have tried to play CoM 3D and 2D a few times and haven't been able to get into it. It's sitting in my DS right now.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I'm doing this too! I finished BBS a couple of days ago, just ordered 2.8 so I can play DDD and Fragmentary Passage before 3.

The games definitely get better after 1, by the mid to end of 2 Sora is an absolute machine and the ridiculous combos you can pull of are really fun. Ditto with BBS, once you meld some high level magic that game is hilariously broken but still fun. I actually played and really enjoyed CoM, even though the general consensus seems to be to just watch the cutscenes online.

I didn't bother with the side story movies, just watched some 15 min overview on YouTube and I got everything I needed from those.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Ditto with BBS, once you meld some high level magic that game is hilariously broken but still fun.
That was actually more frustrating to me because so many of my moves felt useless against bosses due to being vulnerable right after or having a long windup. Then I'd just get stun-locked to death. I literally beat one boss through just guarding since that was more effective.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
That was actually more frustrating to me because so many of my moves felt useless against bosses due to being vulnerable right after or having a long windup. Then I'd just get stun-locked to death. I literally beat one boss through just guarding since that was more effective.

Shotlocks are you friends against bosses, they do crazy damage and you can basically spam em.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Shotlocks are you friends against bosses, they do crazy damage and you can basically spam em.
Oh, I definitely abused it to the max. But that was part of my issue with the game. They gave you tools like that which break the difficult, which is bizarre as a constrast to the ridiculously frustrating parts. It feels so wrong.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Everywhere I read has a different opinion...

358/2 before or after KH2?
Before.

It's clear in hindsight that Nomura would rather you get the emotional gut-punches that come from having context for KHII, rather than leaving KHII's prologue as a confusing mess that doesn't make any sense until you get context later, at which point you'll probably have forgotten the details from the prologue anyway.

The "mysteries" people think should be preserved by playing KHII are in large part still intact if you do Days first. You just witness the mysteries unravel from a different character's perspective.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'll be joining you on this quest when I eventually finish the RE2 B campaign (and a few other small titles). I figured that, with a lack of many other games coming out, playing through at least the first few games in a series like this would be fun. If it's OK could I post my thoughts here as well, OP?

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing this as well. I was going to buy the PS4 bundle that came with three, but I own all of the original releases and have my retro consoles hooked up and ready to go anyway so... Playing on original hardware. (Also means I won't fall down any weird Trophy hunting holes that pad things out).

Currently on KH1, I finished the first 3 worlds and am back in Traverse Town so seems like it's picking up finally.

Sort of playing the GBA version of CoM in my off time and KH1 on my PS2 at work during lunch hours so we'll see how this goes.

Deep Jungle was offensively bad. I really hope that was a low point.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I started my Kingdom Hearts journey at the beginning of January. I just finished up Birth By Sleep. The end is in sight... can't wait to finally dig into KH3.

Everywhere I read has a different opinion...

358/2 before or after KH2?
Definitely before. I played KH2 and watched 358/2 Days after that because everyone said that this was the "correct" order but I wish I watched 358/2 Days first. The beginning of KH3 is really confusing without the context you get from 358/2 and it makes it a drag to play through. If I knew about the story in 358/2 beforehand m, the prologue of KH2 would actually have been engaging and emotional.
The menu order of KH1.5+II.5 is correct, if you ask me.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna end up joining you on this OP.

My nephew took my copy of KH3 and I don't think I'll be getting it back anytime soon. Rather than buying another copy, I think I may use this moment to go through KH 1.5+2.5+2.8 = Math. Even though I've played the games previously, my memory is very fuzzy. Time I opened these games I guess rather than leaving them sealed only to wonder why I bought them 2 years from now.

Just 5 games and 2 video collections to get through. Phew. Can already tell this gonna take me months. Hey, bright side. Maybe by that time, there'll be a bunch of patches improving on KH3 stuff like the Pro performances and maybe some DLC.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna end up joining you on this OP.

My nephew took my copy of KH3 and I don't think I'll be getting it back anytime soon. Rather than buying another copy, I think I may use this moment to go through KH 1.5+2.5+2.8 = Math. Even though I've played the games previously, my memory is very fuzzy. Time I opened these games I guess rather than leaving them sealed only to wonder why I bought them 2 years from now.

Just 5 games and 2 video collections to get through. Phew. Can already tell this gonna take me months. Hey, bright side. Maybe by that time, there'll be a bunch of patches improving on KH3 stuff like the Pro performances and maybe some DLC.

lol yeah, I'm hoping that by the time I finish all these games Kingdom Hearts 3 will be performing better and maybe will have Critical difficulty (pls)

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm stuck at the Rikku Ansem boss in KH1, I have zero issues with his first phase but in the end he gets me down since I run out of MP after a long while and can't heal myself anymore.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend CoM over ReCOM. ReCOM just copies assets over from KH1 while CoM on GBA feels fresher in terms of presentation.

I do thin it's worth it- I genuinely enjoyed the gameplay during Riku's portion and the story was quite strong.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Do the games get better after KH1?

KH1 shows its age in a lot of ways while KH2 is still a really fun game to play.

My personal recommendation on the order is to machete it. Play KH2 until the prologue is over and then watch Days. You get both the mystery and the impact while it's still fresh.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
KH1 shows its age in a lot of ways while KH2 is still a really fun game to play.

My personal recommendation on the order is to machete it. Play KH2 until the prologue is over and then watch Days. You get both the mystery and the impact while it's still fresh.
Mmmm there's still a lot that 358/2 would spoil if you did it that way though. Better just to do it after 2.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmm there's still a lot that 358/2 would spoil if you did it that way though. Better just to do it after 2.

I mean the actual ideal thing would be to have played them in release order when they originally came out for the sake of mystery and then to be doing a replay through the entire series now in the lead up to KH3 where you play 358/2 before KH2 explicitly because of how much it helps to clear up so that you have a better understanding of the story being told as it happens.

But since it's too late now for that to be a realistic option, why not have some mystery and also some added clarity?

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the end of this game.

I just beat Chernabog, and now you want me to beat a Behemoth AND THEN fight off like 8 of the assholes who swarm me and wrap me in darkness? Fuuuuck youuuuu.

I also apparently have a boss gauntlet coming up. Ugh.

Last edited:

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Okay, I'm going down this hole too. Found a store about 30 miles away that has a copy of 1.5+2.5 HD Remix with all of the titles you stated in the OP.

Between this and the Waypoint podcast, I'm in full on Kingdom Hearts mode after laughing it off for 15+ years.

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be joining you on this quest when I eventually finish the RE2 B campaign (and a few other small titles). I figured that, with a lack of many other games coming out, playing through at least the first few games in a series like this would be fun. If it's OK could I post my thoughts here as well, OP?
Of course, the more the merrier.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
c26550bce669ca24291bffa2b6c3cc85_620_KR.jpg

It's $40.

It's sold out everywhere.

You can get a bundle with these and KH3 digitally for $99 on PSN though. I've been tempted to pull the trigger as I've never fully played any KH aside from a few marathons at sleepovers when I was like, 10, but I feel like it's just not going to hold up at all. I'm also eying a TES+ stick right now that I feel like I'd end up getting a lot more mileage out of that for $100. Tough decisions!

Pazmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Would it be better to watch the cutscene movie for Days or watch a youtube synopsis of the game? 3 hours of cutscenes seems rough, but I'll do it if it seems to be better.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
I got 1.5+2.5 collection for Christmas and I'm playing though all these for the first time. My thoughts on KH1 March the OPs exactly. I was really surprised at how basic and small the worlds are. I'm guessing this was a very early PS2 game?

I'm currently stuck at Riku 2. I can get him down to green health very slowly (my damage output is terrible no matter what I try) but then when he starts his superman moves I never have any time to get hits in. I can dodge all his stuff well enough but it takes so long I inevitably start losing the war of attrition. I tried for about 2 hours today and couldn't beat him :(

Maybe I'll leave and try to finish the Colosseum events as the keyblade from there seems essential to this fight (I also don't have counterattack which doesn't help).

I've been following a guide because fuck all the running around trying to figure out how to advance the story. Looking ahead at the boss gauntlet to come, I might not even bother finishing this.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I got 1.5+2.5 collection for Christmas and I'm playing though all these for the first time. My thoughts on KH1 March the OPs exactly. I was really surprised at home basic and small the worlds are. I'm guessing this was a very early PS2 game?

I'm currently stuck at Riku 2. I can get him down to green health very slow (my damage output is terrible no matter what I try) but then when he starts his superman moves I never have any time to get hits in. I can dodge all his stuff well enoigh but it takes so long I inevitablly start losing the war of attrition. I tried for about 2 hours today and couldn't beat him :(

Maybe I'll leave and try to finish the Colosseum events as the keyblade from there seems essential to this fight (I also don't have counterattack which doesn't help).

I've been following a guide because fuck all the running around trying to figure out how to advance the story. Looking ahead at the boss gauntlet to come, I might not even bother finishing this.

Oh wow you have exactly the same issue at exactly the same enemy. Even with MP Rage and all other kind of MP gain abilities once Phase 2 starts I'll slowly arrive at the point where I'm eating more damage than I'm recovering MP for healing.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the Mulan part on kh2, man what an improvement over 1 so far, I'm talking a Mass Effect 2 or assasssins creed 2 transformation here, loving this game a lot more

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I started my Kingdom Hearts journey at the beginning of January. I just finished up Birth By Sleep. The end is in sight... can't wait to finally dig into KH3.

Definitely before. I played KH2 and watched 358/2 Days after that because everyone said that this was the "correct" order but I wish I watched 358/2 Days first. The beginning of KH3 is really confusing without the context you get from 358/2 and it makes it a drag to play through. If I knew about the story in 358/2 beforehand m, the prologue of KH2 would actually have been engaging and emotional.
The menu order of KH1.5+II.5 is correct, if you ask me.

I agree

Hype-Lord

Jan 8, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Finally dove in KH3 and oh my god this is such an amazing game. And it also expands on every previos installment strory wise — even those cutscene movies from browser KH game. I'm really glad that KH3 came out in time when consoles can show pixar-like graphics in real time, it looks like pure magic.

That said, KH3 is very easy. 13 hours in and haven't seen a single "Continue" screen on Proud.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Re:Coded might just be the dumbest thing in the series yet. Which worries me, since people say that it's DDD that really takes the story off the rails.

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Finished KH1 last night:

Still don't quite understand what happened at the end of the game (for some reason Ansem assumes Kingdom Hearts is darkness, but it's "light", but it's also full of Heartless????????????). Honestly the hardest part of the end of the game was Chernabog and then the room of Heartless you had to finish -- Ansem himself was fairly easy and I beat him on my first try.

I also guess I should've read the Ansem reports, because I was a little confused as to his relevance to the story.

Overall the ending was ridiculous and the game doesn't hold up as well as it should, but the battle system is fun and I had a good time. On to Chain of Memories!

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished KH1 last night:

Still don't quite understand what happened at the end of the game (for some reason Ansem assumes Kingdom Hearts is darkness, but it's "light", but it's also full of Heartless????????????). Honestly the hardest part of the end of the game was Chernabog and then the room of Heartless you had to finish -- Ansem himself was fairly easy and I beat him on my first try.

I also guess I should've read the Ansem reports, because I was a little confused as to his relevance to the story.

Overall the ending was ridiculous and the game doesn't hold up as well as it should, but the battle system is fun and I had a good time. On to Chain of Memories!

Yep, my thought on KH1 is the same, Chernabog then a gauntlet is bad design, esp. since Chernabog has that damned AoE that one shots you unless you get get lucky

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, my thought on KH1 is the same, Chernabog then a gauntlet is bad design, esp. since Chernabog has that damned AoE that one shots you unless you get get lucky
Yeah, once you learn the pattern it's not too bad, but he breaks it every once in a while and it's super annoying. The gauntlet was awful. I have NO idea what they were thinking -- there are so many questionable design choices in this game! Like, all of the Deep Jungle.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, once you learn the pattern it's not too bad, but he breaks it every once in a while and it's super annoying. The gauntlet was awful. I have NO idea what they were thinking -- there are so many questionable design choices in this game! Like, all of the Deep Jungle.

Being a 2002 game I slightly forgive the design choices, Deep Jungle was bad, its more the sense of direction and lack of any clues that get me, 2 already improves massively by just having that

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
On to Chain of Memories!

Pro tip: if you come across a Random Joker map card, save it for the final room of the final floor. The requirements for the final room are pretty insane and you might have to grind for - a while - if you don't have a Random Joker to get past it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished KH1 last night:

Things you should know.

1. That door was not kingdom Hearts, it was the door to the realm of darkness (the place that the heartless originate from)
2. Kingdom Hearts is indeed light, but it resides in the realm of darkness. Basically the closer to the light you get, the greater your shadow becomes.
3. Yes. You really should read the Ansem reports. They're important to more games than just KH1.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Did this myself over the Summer.

It's a really fun trip. One thing I will say is that a lot of stuff that makes no sense in one game will be explained in later games. The series has an issue of doing that but not making it clear that we aren't supposed to understand.

Also: Chain of Memories is an incredibly divisive game. Some people love it, I think it's a trash fire, etc. My advice is to play 5 hours and if you aren't having fun drop it and watch the cutscenes on YouTube. The game is incredibly long and vital to the series so do not force your way through it if you don't want to burn out.
I honestly feel like the folks who liked CoM played it on GBA, and the ones who didn't... Didn't? Though I have a crazy friend who played Re:CoM and enjoyed it.