• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE:CoM players who are having trouble on human bosses: after awhile Sonic Blade doesn't pull off as much damage so try Lethal Frame Sleight. It's a Slow card and any 2 attack cards. It's even better than Sonic Blade :)

I wanted to do this at the end but I had three Stop cards total and it wasn't getting the job done.

This sounds horrifically painful.

It's been over a week now and I'm still not fully recovered. I hadn't had that much trouble on a boss since playing The Old Hunters my first time on New Game Plus, and Re:Com is no Bloodborne.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way, it's been a while since my 2 playthrough, do they ever explain why he comes out of the egg in 2 at all?

I'm playing 2 now and it is explained, but very briefly in a blink-and-you-miss-it sort of way. It's also not immediately detailed and the explanation comes in pieces over the course of many disparate cutscenes. Basically it's irrationally written and organized to the point that it may as well feel like nothing was answered. (Also having knowledge helped me identify clues, but to anyone that didn't touch CoM, they'd not pick up on any of it...it would sound like nonsense).

But honestly, 358 was to me even more helpful to understanding the KH2 intro as CoM. At least in terms of identifying more properly who Roxas is, whom the organization and their goals are, and what the impact of Sora's sleep is having on everyone else. What his purpose and intent of sleeping actually means.

Though the bridge between 358 and KH2 was terrible though.
The state of Roxas at the conclusion of 358 to his state at the beginning of KH2 is jarring af. It literally makes no sense and is never explained how amnesia suddenly hits him like a blunt trauma to the head, or how despite that he suddenly is interacting with the kids as close friends, or what house he is living in? What is all that stuff in his room and possessions? He spent the past year doing jobs with the Org and overnight has a whole new life and no memories of any of it just so they can conveniently transition into the opening of KH2? Bullshit! It's fraudulent writing.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Last night I slammed my head against Hades in Re:CoM for a good hour or so....

BEFORE realizing that when I hit him with fire magic I healed him.

I would get so close to killing him and he'd heal up and it was infuriating.

Removed all fire spells from my deck and beat him next try.

The story is keeping me going here, to be honest.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Last night I slammed my head against Hades in Re:CoM for a good hour or so....

BEFORE realizing that when I hit him with fire magic I healed him.

I would get so close to killing him and he'd heal up and it was infuriating.

Removed all fire spells from my deck and beat him next try.

The story is keeping me going here, to be honest.

Skip all Disney world cutscenes, they do not matter.

Only the inbetween Castle Oblivion cutsecenes and then everything from Destiny Islands onwards is part of the story.

The disney worlds are all retreads of KH1 with some MEMORY BS thrown in

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The state of Roxas at the conclusion of 358 to his state at the beginning of KH2 is jarring af. It literally makes no sense and is never explained how amnesia suddenly hits him like a blunt trauma to the head, or how despite that he suddenly is interacting with the kids as close friends, or what house he is living in? What is all that stuff in his room and possessions? He spent the past year doing jobs with the Org and overnight has a whole new life and no memories of any of it just so they can conveniently transition into the opening of KH2? Bullshit! It's fraudulent writing.

After Riku defeated Roxas, he took him to DiZ, where he was placed inside a digital Twilight Town for safe keeping so the Organization couldn't find him. (even though Axel ended up finding him anyway) So the entire prologue in KH2 takes place inside the digital Twilight Town. DiZ/Namine erased Roxas' memories and replaced them with new ones (Hayner! Pence! Olette!) so he wouldn't realize what was going on and try to break free.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
After Riku defeated Roxas, he took him to DiZ, where he was placed inside a digital Twilight Town for safe keeping so the Organization couldn't find him. (even though Axel ended up finding him anyway) So the entire prologue in KH2 takes place inside the digital Twilight Town. DiZ/Namine erased Roxas' memories and replaced them with new ones (Hayner! Pence! Olette!) so he wouldn't realize what was going on and try to break free.

source.gif

Whoa when was this explained?

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

So the issue for me was, Roxas disappears and Sora, Goofy and Donald appear in Twilight Town and they think they recognise Sora, but its not clear where Roxas went and this was a different place

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'd only played 1, 2, and DDD before. The story lost me after 1 of course.

Now going through them all in the full collection's order and having a blast. Just started KH2 and MAAAANNN, everything makes sooo much more sense after playing COM and watching Days!

Really, really enjoying my time.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I'd only played 1, 2, and DDD before. The story lost me after 1 of course.

Now going through them all in the full collection's order and having a blast. Just started KH2 and MAAAANNN, everything makes sooo much more sense after playing COM and watching Days!

Really, really enjoying my time.
I fell like playing KH2 after watching Days is a better experience than otherwise. You start much more into the characters, specially as you play with Roxas. The beginning might have annoyed me a bit if I have gone from CoM to KH2, but coming from Days it is just superb.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Ah...I'm only up to Nightmare Before Xmas right now, so it must be explained later on.

Most of the explanation is there in the beginning, but it's very much something you have to piece together by reflecting back on everything you've seen, because the story is given to you out of order.

You're shown an unconscious Roxas being dumped in that lab with the computer that he later destroys in a rage and they say something about how he can't be allowed to recognize the reality of what's going on and it pans up toward a device directly over his body. Every time we see Roxas start glitching or questioning why things aren't making sense, the day just ends and it cuts to that same lab with DiZ looking up at that device that was directly above where they placed Roxas before. Presumably that's the hard drive they're storing digital Twilight Town on.

It's why he can't go to the beach. They didn't program a beach. So things keep showing up to make it impossible for him to leave the city, which is the full extent of his world that they're keeping him in while they rebuild Sora.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
3 worlds into Re:CoM and I am stuck on a boss (Hades) and fed up with this battle system - particularly not being able to heal myself because the enemy can block it. What kind of sadist came up with this? And I'm playing on easy mode, for all the good that's done me. I wish they had done a proper port of 358/2 and made this one cutscenes only.

Can someone recommend the best YouTube video to watch instead of playing Re:CoM? I took a look but there are handful of them ranging in length from 20 minutes to 5 and a half hours and I can't tell which one is ideal. I don't mind missing the Disney parts because they seem to matter not at all to the story.

Edit: In case this helps someone else, here are the ones I settled on. They skip all the unnecessary Disney stuff, while keeping the between floor stuff + Twilight Town, Destiny Islands, etc.
Sora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kUgv4KOn4o
Riku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaqIG6mB9ZU

Edit 2: It was no fun to experience it this way. I shouldn't have bothered.

I found this summary Youtube video for Chains of Memory that explains the story really good. Just finished KH 1 yesterday and I don't like the change of gameplay style in COM. Now to watch the 358/2 video and on to play KH 2.

Here is the link

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I thought I finished Re:CoM yesterday on beginner ( with this battle system, beginner my ass, took me 17 hours to finish it) and now there is another side of the story with Riku. Luckily premade decks are way more manageable.

So after this game, should I start KH2 or watch days first? What are the pros and cons?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man I thought I finished Re:CoM yesterday on beginner ( with this battle system, beginner my ass, took me 17 hours to finish it) and now there is another side of the story with Riku. Luckily premade decks are way more manageable.

So after this game, should I start KH2 or watch days first? What are the pros and cons?

Watching Days first makes the Prologue in II infinitely more interesting and engaging but spoils a mid-game identity reveal

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I personally found the mystery a lot more interesting than whatever emotional payoff there was supposed to be after 358/2 Days, but that's probably because 358/2 Days fell incredibly flat for me.

Both 358/2 Days and Coded have series-wide implications I am not a fan of.

OP
OP
Kaitos

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I decided I'm going to just watch Days first when I get through CoM.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I decided I'm going to just watch Days first when I get through CoM.

To be honest, there's no wrong answer here.

Watching Days makes the prologue super tense and interesting as a direct follow-up to Days' ending

Not watching it makes the Prologue a total drag that feels disconnected until the information you would've gotten in Days is revealed to the main characters, but then a certain dramatic identity reveal loses it's impact since you saw that character taking on the new identity in Days

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Days makes the prologue super tense and interesting as a direct follow-up to Days' ending

It also makes all the Organization stuff throughout KH2 more coherent and it helps to alleviate the problem of them withholding most of the big story beats until near the end of the game, which imo makes the overall story in 2 feel too slight.

a certain dramatic identity reveal loses it's impact since you saw that character taking on the new identity in Days

Are you talking about
Riku? Cause it's pretty obviously him, especially if you've played Chain of Memories.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018
To be honest, there's no wrong answer here.

Not watching it makes the Prologue a total drag that feels disconnected until the information you would've gotten in Days is revealed to the main characters, but then a certain dramatic identity reveal loses it's impact since you saw that character taking on the new identity in Days
I think the build up to 2 is more interesting than dumping it onto people and experiencing the plot twist. With the build up approach, you learn more about the world and character motivations at more steady pace and KH2 ends up being the dramatic conclusion to a lot of what CoM and 358 setup. Whereas with the mysterious approach, you're given a mystery that isn't even solved until you play the other games.

I think it's best exemplified by how Axel is perceived between the two methods. By playing the 1.5 approach you have a story of a character who makes and loses his friends, and sacrifices himself to save what remains of his last friend. By playing the release order approach you meet a character that sets up interesting questions but the dramatic importance of his actions is lost until you play the games that set up his motivations.

To me, 358 Days/2 felt like a game that said "Hey now that you've played this, go and give KH2 another playthrough now that you understand the context" but thanks to 1.5 there's no need to do another play through.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's best exemplified by how Axel is perceived between the two methods. By playing the 1.5 approach you have a story of a character who makes and loses his friends, and sacrifices himself to save what remains of his last friend. By playing the release order approach you meet a character that sets up interesting questions but the dramatic importance of his actions is lost until you play the games that set up his motivations.
Yeah, again I feel like I should emphasize from the perspective of playing 2 before Days existed, KH2 Axel made no sense and felt like a completely different character apropos of nothing coming off of CoM where he was a ruthless villain.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think the build up to 2 is more interesting than dumping it onto people and experiencing the plot twist. With the build up approach, you learn more about the world and character motivations at more steady pace and KH2 ends up being the dramatic conclusion to a lot of what CoM and 358 setup. Whereas with the mysterious approach, you're given a mystery that isn't even solved until you play the other games.

To me, 358 Days/2 felt like a game that said "Hey now that you've played this, go and give KH2 another playthrough now that you understand the context" but thanks to 1.5 there's no need to do another play through.

Oh I agree. I'm #TeamDaysBeforeII

But I can see why people think it's best to play after II

Yeah, again I feel like I should emphasize from the perspective of playing 2 before Days existed, KH2 Axel made no sense and felt like a completely different character apropos of nothing coming off of CoM where he was a ruthless villain.
100% true

Last edited:

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019

That's perfectly on point. I understand that some people who played them in release order may disagree, but many of them had time to digest the story and talk about the game between releases. If you are beating one KH after the other in 2019, Days > KH2 is just a better experience.

Deleted member 51957

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
About two hours into KH1 for the first time -- I have just made it to Traverse Town. Is it possible to feel nostalgic for something you have never actually experienced? I don't have any concrete memories of playing this game, but the main menu piano theme provoked something in my brain. Aptly enough, the game then opens with these lofty ramblings about dreams and actuality from a 14 year old. I was in from the jump, lol.

Combat is mashy and the camera is straight up bad (should I be on 'auto' or not? Can't tell what is best.) but I am loving the world-building and extravagance of it all. The juxtaposition of these kids pensively staring out on the ocean questioning their fate and Donald Duck/ Goofy yuckin' it up is hilarious.

Very excited to see how the story and combat systems open up going forward. Any tips and/or recommendations for a first timer are definitely welcome -- I don't want to miss an early boost if I can get it.

Random asides:
  • Love that interactions on the island are either 1) sharing polite single sentences or 2) beating the shit out of each other
  • Sora (and the rest of these kids) have parents ??? My jaw dropped when someone called him down for dinner. Please no more mention of this.
  • I'm 4 and 3 with Riku. Not sure if this actually does anything, but I must defeat him and win Kairu's paopu.
  • The ominous, hooded figure disappearing in the mystery cave and the island Mario Party music returning to full volume made me laugh -- Sora is totally unphased by this creepy stranger. Is anything even real to these kids (or any kid ?)

Nov 4, 2018
About two hours into KH1 for the first time -- I have just made it to Traverse Town. Is it possible to feel nostalgic for something you have never actually experienced? I don't have any concrete memories of playing this game, but the main menu piano theme provoked something in my brain. Aptly enough, the game then opens with these lofty ramblings about dreams and actuality from a 14 year old. I was in from the jump, lol.

Combat is mashy and the camera is straight up bad (should I be on 'auto' or not? Can't tell what is best.) but I am loving the world-building and extravagance of it all. The juxtaposition of these kids pensively staring out on the ocean questioning their fate and Donald Duck/ Goofy yuckin' it up is hilarious.

Very excited to see how the story and combat systems open up going forward. Any tips and/or recommendations for a first timer are definitely welcome -- I don't want to miss an early boost if I can get it.

Random asides:
  • Love that interactions on the island are either 1) sharing polite single sentences or 2) beating the shit out of each other
  • Sora (and the rest of these kids) have parents ??? My jaw dropped when someone called him down for dinner. Please no more mention of this.
  • I'm 4 and 3 with Riku. Not sure if this actually does anything, but I must defeat him and win Kairu's paopu.
  • The ominous, hooded figure disappearing in the mystery cave and the island Mario Party music returning to full volume made me laugh -- Sora is totally unphased by this creepy stranger. Is anything even real to these kids (or any kid ?)
Have a guide ready when you need it. A huge flaw of KH1 in my opinion is that it is terrible with telling you where you need to go at moments, and part of me believes it was intentional so they could extend the game time by forcing you to explore the whole world to figure out where the next cutscene is. Atlantica and the Tarzan world were especially notorious for me and getting lost.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently back in KH2 trying to get this platinum trophy. got 5 more data fights plus lingering will. I'm on critical and i'm determined to beat them all. its so hard though. i'm very impatient.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm playing 2 now and it is explained, but very briefly in a blink-and-you-miss-it sort of way. It's also not immediately detailed and the explanation comes in pieces over the course of many disparate cutscenes. Basically it's irrationally written and organized to the point that it may as well feel like nothing was answered. (Also having knowledge helped me identify clues, but to anyone that didn't touch CoM, they'd not pick up on any of it...it would sound like nonsense).

But honestly, 358 was to me even more helpful to understanding the KH2 intro as CoM. At least in terms of identifying more properly who Roxas is, whom the organization and their goals are, and what the impact of Sora's sleep is having on everyone else. What his purpose and intent of sleeping actually means.

He gets false memories put in his head. Remember that Namine can change the memories
of those people connected to Sora(like Roxas) plus he's in a simulated town.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Have a guide ready when you need it. A huge flaw of KH1 in my opinion is that it is terrible with telling you where you need to go at moments, and part of me believes it was intentional so they could extend the game time by forcing you to explore the whole world to figure out where the next cutscene is. Atlantica and the Tarzan world were especially notorious for me and getting lost.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Deep Jungle

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
About two hours into KH1 for the first time -- I have just made it to Traverse Town. Is it possible to feel nostalgic for something you have never actually experienced? I don't have any concrete memories of playing this game, but the main menu piano theme provoked something in my brain.

I had the exact same experience when I played KH1 for the first time. Wild.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I still recommend playing through the prologue of KH2 first, stopping, and then immediately watching Days. Then resume KH2.

The sense of confusion isn't as frustrating when you know you'll find out very soon, but you still get a bit of the intended mystery.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Tarzan world has a lot of pointless meandering, but nothing is as egregious as the part in Atlantica when the game shows you to grab a dolphin, but it's not the one in the section it teaches you this, it's over in the next section.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Combat is mashy and the camera is straight up bad (should I be on 'auto' or not? Can't tell what is best.)
Manual is better, it still adjusts automatically when you attack, but it doesn't actively fight you like it does on auto.
Any tips and/or recommendations for a first timer are definitely welcome -- I don't want to miss an early boost if I can get it.
The part at the very beginning where you pick and give up "path of the warrior/guardian/mystic" actually influences your starting stats and what order you learn all the passive abilities as you level up. The personality questions determine the EXP requirements for leveling up, based on what the voice tells you afterwards. Dawn = level up quickly, then slowly after 40. Midday = baseline. Night = level up slowly, then quickly after 40.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This thread inspired me to pick up the The Story So Far collection once I've finished with DMCV next month, but it's already out of stock everywhere! :\

Nov 4, 2018
This thread inspired me to pick up the The Story So Far collection once I've finished with DMCV next month, but it's already out of stock everywhere! :\
Yeah, according to people who spoke with customer support, they didn't expect demand for the collection to pick up around KH3's release.

Which is incredibly stupid in my opinion as the collection is a steal at $40 and anyone who wants to play KH3 and owns a PS4 is obviously going to want to catch up on a series notorious for it's complicated plot.

Give it a week or two and they'll probably be back in stock with new prints.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah, according to people who spoke with customer support, they didn't expect demand for the collection to pick up around KH3's release.

Which is incredibly stupid in my opinion as the collection is a steal at $40 and anyone who wants to play KH3 and owns a PS4 is obviously going to want to catch up on a series notorious for it's complicated plot.

I kinda love how KH3 had the Avengers effects where people go back to the old games to appreciate the new one

This very thread is proof

Deleted member 39903

Banned
Feb 13, 2018

There is absolutely nothing stopping Square Enix from putting this up on the PSN Store for the same price. They choose not to.

The non-sale price of 1.5+2.5 on PSN is $50. The non-sale price of 2.8 on PSN is $60. Total = $90 for the equivalent of The Story So Far. Both of them *individually* cost more than the bundle that included both of them.

They went on sale *just today*. 1.5+2.5 PSN sale = $33.49, 2.8 PSN sale = $40.19, total = $73.68 for the collection they were selling on disc for $40 MSRP a month ago.

It is worth noting that PSN also has an 'All In One Package' which is $100 for 1.5+2.5 + 2.8 + 3. So if you don't already have KH3, then you could effectively get everything pre-3 for $40 if you wanted to buy them all right now. But if you already own KH3 or want to wait to buy that one, then you are out of luck. There is no equivalent to 'The Story So Far' bundle on PSN.

They are playing games with the prices in order to maximise revenue. I won't pretend to understand the strategy, but it is no accident. This is why I don't expect a reprint any time soon, or ever.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Not porting them to Xbox One was still a weird mistake imo

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Random asides:

It's really weird how the characters don't seem to care about their family. Especially after people from Destiny Island ended up in other worlds after the first game's prologue. I won't be surprised if by the end of KH 5 or 6 we discover everyone's just playing a VR game and parents were never shown because they're not players lol

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Wow going through KH2 now and Belle just made the greatest football run from one end zone to the other. She carried that rose like a superbowl champ, hahaha!

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Played 4 more hours of Chain of Memories this morning. Finished up Monstro, HalloweenTown, Atlantica, and Neverland.

The story is really wacky.
Excited to learn how TF Riku got into Castle Oblivion and what's the deal with Nanime.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
And I finished Kingdom Hearts 2!

That was a fun wacky ride, luckily the XIII dudes at the end weren't even that difficult.

1 yes, 2 is holding up well so far for me

Same here, I loved the combat. For a game this old it was surprisingly great and aged well in my opinion. Especially when you have all the combo stuff and forms at your disposal. It was only the enemies that air juggled and stun locked you getting in the way.

A bit of a bummer KH2 didn't feature more Larxene, I lover her in CoM.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a Criitcal Mode playthrough of KH2FM for the first time.

Help me survive Beast's Castle. What do I do in crowds? Fat Heartless kill me constantly.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Just started a Criitcal Mode playthrough of KH2FM for the first time.

Help me survive Beast's Castle. What do I do in crowds? Fat Heartless kill me constantly.
Try pushing the lancers away from the fat heartless and deal with them first. Make sure you react with triangle against the lancers if they rush into you, which grants at least one easy kill. The fat ones you always get from behind. Start circling them whenever they are facing you to avoid being targeted. Be careful when they have their purple aura on as they get faster and better at targeting. I find it easier to be always on the move against them than trying to defend against their attacks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Try pushing the lancers away from the fat heartless and deal with them first. Make sure you react with triangle against the lancers if they rush into you, which grants at least one easy kill. The fat ones you always get from behind. Start circling them whenever they are facing you to avoid being targeted. Be careful when they have their purple aura on as they get faster and better at targeting. I find it easier to be always on the move against them than trying to defend against their attacks.

Alright. I guess I just need to tough it out until I get Thunder.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Alright. I guess I just need to tough it out until I get Thunder.
You end up learning your way through trial and error. One of the final fights in Olympus will be a great practice to become better with crowd control (took me a couple of tries yesterday to realize that sometimes you should stay away from the ruckus and assess the situation).

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I like playing with the camera pulled back all the way and not using lockon. It makes it easier to keep track of all the enemies.