• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
That's what I'm talking about (even in the OP). The quantity of games on a platform.
The person i was replying to talked about quality. And that it sold worse on Steam, because the game is bad.

So what, your argument is that there should be less games so that even the bad games could sell better?

If there was good curation it should mean that this game would be skipped, and if that happened it would get even less sales.

Oct 27, 2017
Streamers had a great time making videos of this game, because they could fill in the story beats, dead ends, and "failures" of getting caught or not coming up with a solution quickly enough. It was enough to convince my kid to use money he saved to buy it.

It has a lot of potential, but even my kid was surprised to run into the first story cutscene while playing...we don't know what was going on.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this game really bad?

At least that's what I remember seeing from the steam reviews.
The game is a confusing, awful mess of obtuse nonsense masquerading as puzzles. Like Snakes on a Plane, people latched onto it for the memes, but upon the actual full release, it's just bad.

OP
OP

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what, your argument is that there should be less games so that even the bad games could sell better?

If there was good curation it should mean that this game would be skipped, and if that happened it would get even less sales.

What a weird assumption to make.
You think this is unique to bad games?
What about all those great indie games?
They suffer form the same.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
The Steam storefront (and community) have needed a severe curation overhaul for years.
Indies will still release there, but it might become more of a secondary thing in the bear future compared to consoles.
What the hell are you on? As long as PC remains an open platform, I don't see it not being the premiere indie platform... Ever.

Bolsonaro2018

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Brazil
User was warned for this post: Platform wars post
PC gamers dont buy games, they prefer tô bought games at a sale on steam that support the dev.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC gamers dont buy games, they prefer tô bought games at a sale on steam that support the dev.
Yeah, no.

This game is garbage, PC players didn't buy it because Steam tells them about the bad reviews up front.

If a game is well received, PC players will happily pay good money for content. The PC market relies 90% on word of mouth.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it should be removed from Steam. I think Steam's quality control should be based off of "Okay, is this an actual sincere attempt at making a video game?" It'd be amazing how many games on Steam don't meet that.

Yeah, it's fairly sure some are enjoying this game.

What a weird assumption to make.
You think this is unique to bad games?
What about all those great indie games?
They suffer form the same.

Then you chose bad example. It's okay for bad games to fail.

I'm fairly sure you could find examples of good games failing on Steam (but not other stores), would make far better topic and more interesting to discuss why it failed.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Are people really going to try to use this really bad game as a reason why curation is needed? When it sold better on more strict platforms?

A bad game selling badly means it's getting crowded out by other games on Steam?!? So what? Get rid of other arbitrary games so this one sells better? I'm not getting the logical path here.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no.

This game is garbage, PC players didn't buy it because Steam tells them about the bad reviews up front.

If a game is well received, PC players will happily pay good money for content. The PC market relies 90% on word of mouth.
I would definitely say that compared to the consoles, Steam's interface is much easier to both write and read reviews. Plus the Metacritic score is right there.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Honestly surprised it sold that much. Nothing I've heard about it has lived up to its original promise.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should be glad it even sold that much considering the trash the final game turned out to be.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I was looking forward to it and bought it on released, it was pretty shocking. Like an early access game.
refunded

Dec 15, 2017
This proves that pc gaming is dead. I'd better sell my gear and buy a DRM box.

There you go ERA. Happy now?

Jokes aside, what was to be expected out of this: The game is terrible, it's 30 bucks which is quite a steep price for what's on screen. On pc you do not only compete with the latest and greatest you also compete with old masterpieces from the 90's that are sold dirt cheap, free mods that are as good as the base game and emulators of other platforms. New games need to excel or have a quite significant marketing/social media push behind.

I mean, looking at the sales right now you can get DS3 and Ashes of Ariandel plus more games for $12 in Humble Monthly, plus the Paradox bundle with Stellaris, Pillars of Eternity EU III , CK2... for $12. You can get Bastion for 2 bucks on Steam, The Wolf Among us for 3 bucks...

In fact I'm surprised it sold that much copies.

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Sure that would explain overall low sales, but not exactly the platform skew.

The other platforms don't expose user review information/Metacritic so, yes, it definitely could.

I mean what about They Are Billions that had sold 500k on Steam alone? Dead Cells, PUBG, Stardew, etc. Certainly there are enough success stories that indicate Steam is healthy *if* you bring a good game.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? This game was a Let's Players wet dream for viewership. I guess viewers aren't Steam buyers I suppose?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, well, it's the same game on the other platforms. It has those same scores for other versions.... so that doesn't explain why Steam sold the worst.

Steam shows a variety of reviews and the metacritic prominently on the front page of the game.

Can you say the same for any other store listed in the sale breakdown?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Uh, well, it's the same game on the other platforms. It has those same scores for other versions.... so that doesn't explain why Steam sold the worst.

The Steam store page does more than any other digital store to let you know a bad game is a bad game. It's pretty in your face about it with red "overall negative" text or yellow "mixed" text, and top rated user reviews with a big thumbs down picture next to each one and a plot of the review scores over time, and a big red metacritic button. This is in comparison to say, three filled in stars out of five on the Xbox page.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Steam shows a variety of reviews and the metacritic prominently on the front page of the game.

Can you say the same for any other store?

It's still the same scores though. Not exactly hard to look up a review online. I assume most people do at least that before buying something. And the negative word of mouth thing he mentioned again affects all versions equally,

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's still the same scores though. Not exactly hard to look up a review online. I assume most people do at least that before buying something. And the negative word of mouth thing he mentioned again affects all versions equally,

So you are saying the Xbox store will prominently display the metacritic and has a aggregate of recent and all reviews right on the front sell page for every game? A bad metacritic on Steam is red and a mixed review is orange.

Can you show an example of this on Xbox compared to Steam, since I don't own an Xbox One.

The majority of sales are from impulse buys due to watching steamers and Youtubers.
Someone that goes to another site to read a review of it is a minority of sales. Thus Steams prominent display of reviews would easily kill impulse sales.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

The game was marketed mostly through Twitch/YT. It became a "meme" and it was really popular with kids. Most of those people watch that YT/Twitch stream and then go on to buy it because "lol so random funny". On Xbox One they wont see much. On Steam they then directly see the metacritic and the mostly negative reviews and think twice before buying it...

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, honestly looking at this game concerns me for Yandere Simulator's future. It has a lot of the same circumstances going for it.

Chiefly, game that became a "Meme Game" with YouTubers and a large underage fandom before the actual game design properly came into its own during pre-alpha builds, published by TinyBuild.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
So you are saying the Xbox store will prominently display the metacritic and has a aggregate of recent and all reviews right on the front sell page for every game? A bad metacritic on Steam is red and a mixed review is orange.

Can you show an example of this on Xbox compared to Steam, since I don't own an Xbox One.

The majority of sales are from impulse buys due to watching steamers and Youtubers.
Someone that goes to another site to read a review of it is a minority of sales. Thus Steams prominent display of reviews would easily kill impulse sales.

Please show me anywhere in my post where i said that.

Just an FYI man, strawman arguments are against the rules here.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam seems to do its job just right, bad game not selling millions of copies like consoles because there is actually fuck ton of good games to play instead.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Game had tons of promise and got pushed on Xbox and ended up sucking

A real shame. If anything the bad thing here is this selling so much on x1 when some other, better games don't get the same amount of sales. But oh well

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like in this particular case it's hard to look at this and objectively say "well this is proof that steam sucks as a release platform now" because this game specifically got really bad reviews, and the mixed reception on Steam reflects that. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of potential Steam buyers were turned off by the negative reviews on the store page.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So, a rather bad game sold badly on Steam. To me this seems like a success for the service as it managed to inform its consumers that the game isn't good and that they should spend their money differently.