• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting calls from somewhere in Ohio. He had called my three times in a row today. I was sleeping with do not disturb on so I missed it. I answer saying " Hello, please do not call this number." And he says "We're going to keep calling you until you give us a reference number."

What even does this mean? I tried asking but he won't answer. Who is this? Why is this?

Help

Edit:
I just got another one. He thinks I am Demitri. I tell him I have no idea who this is, but he is insistent that I am.

Edit x2:
Oh that was another caller. Never mind the Demitri part.

Edit x3;
HE DID IT AGAIN!
Avf1ZVH.jpg

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can you not block the number? Or do they deliberately call you with different numbers each time?

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A) I mean, just give him a number.

B) Can't you just block it? Preferably after giving him whatever bogus number

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a truck driver. In that case, you won't get through to him. I work in logistics.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Here is my wild guess: your number was spoofed and used by a telemarketer, somebody actually managed to talk to a real person and demanded they didn't call them anymore, but they hung up without confirming that their number had been taken off the list, and now the victim is calling you back demanding a reference number in case they call again

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of when a woman (accidentally?) used my number and some accounts she had went into collections. Unfortunately it's really hard to explain to a collections agency that they have the wrong number and that I'm not Maryanne or whatever her name was.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
I've done this a couple of times in the past when receiveing unsolicited phone calls:

Pick up the phone but don't make a sound... see what happens and how long it takes for them to hang up.

Make it as much a frustrating time waster for them as it is for you.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Ask them for their information; as much as they will give you. Name, number address, etc.
Then say; 'You phone me one more time and I'll be calling the police with this information. Stop harassing me, I'm not who you think I am. You are mistaken and are dialing a private number.'

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds more like an opportunity than a problem.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just give fake numbers, act like a Jack ass on the phone until they give up. You already have been civil, might as well make it a game and have fun with it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Tell them your Era dick size and make them regret having a reference number.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post their number here and let us all bomb him with calls. Not like it matters, let's record them and make to this an actual fun thread rather than yet another "why can't you people just be normal" thread.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
kdo123k434251146k627h7h26h42h6h662h46hk26h4h24646h62k246k4644h44433l3l3454277k7ll38l3l6l2l664j6hh46h64h64h6

(deep breath, more random numbers and letters)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a reference number, I can tell you I don't have it. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my phone number go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kiss you."

* note: do not add anything about hunting down random black people