• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Game2Death

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys....

So I've come down with a pretty good cold. I had plans to play Battle Royale and COD all weekend to recover. (I did plan some time to read my book too.......I'm not completely terrible lol). And I take a nap, go downstairs, and my Xbox One won't turn on. Devastated.

So should I go to the store now and buy an S? or wait for an X? I have WWII preordered...I don't have a 4k tv and not planning on upgrading soon. Are those who have a PS4 Pro vs PS4 feeling like its worth it? Will there be better FPS on games or is it mostly resolution? I'm leaning on going to the store and buying an S.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Is there a troubleshooting on my Xbox One i missed? Unplug, use different outlets, etc.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It probably isn't dead. The same thing happened to me at one point. Unplug the console, then remove the power supply completely until the orange light turns off. Plug it back in and it should power on.

Oct 25, 2017
Preorder one to get it shipped to you and read quietly to yourself and a nice glass of hot tea as you wait to recover.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how fast you need and can get any replacement. The Xbox X is also something I personally would think about if I really want to spend that much money if a Xbox S is much cheaper.
If this happened to any of my consoles I probably would play some free game on PC/Steam to pass the time and make the decision without time pressure.

There certainly will be games that look and maybe run a little better, the hardware alone guarantees this. Question is, do you really need or want that? Also important is if you have the money to spare. I believe the difference is 300 dollars which can go a long way in a month.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PC isn't an option?

Either way, in your case, I'd probably pick up an Xbox One S since you probably already have a bunch of Xbox games and you can find a used one without any launch bundles/stuff for under 200.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
It probably isn't dead. The same thing happened to me at one point. Unplug the console, then remove the power supply completely until the orange light turns off. Plug it back in and it should power on.

This. And make sure your Xbox is plugged into a power plug directly and not on an extension. It might not be dead. It happen to my stepson xbox and its how we fix it and made sure it didnt happen again.

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys....

So I've come down with a pretty good cold. I had plans to play Battle Royale and COD all weekend to recover. (I did plan some time to read my book too.......I'm not completely terrible lol). And I take a nap, go downstairs, and my Xbox One won't turn on. Devastated.

So should I go to the store now and buy an S? or wait for an X? I have WWII preordered...I don't have a 4k tv and not planning on upgrading soon. Are those who have a PS4 Pro vs PS4 feeling like its worth it? Will there be better FPS on games or is it mostly resolution? I'm leaning on going to the store and buying an S.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Is there a troubleshooting on my Xbox One i missed? Unplug, use different outlets, etc.
Sorry about your Xbox friend, I personally almost enjoy those opportunities in a way because I like the feeling of tearing something apart and fixing it. I ripped apart several 360s and PS3s but I totally realize that is not for everyone. If you that is not for you I understand and I am sorry. If you would benefit from the extra power of the X like 4K go for that. Otherwise grab an S. Either way feel better.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want their games to run better - the real question is whether the improvement is worth the price tag. :)
The price tag plays a big role, that is correct. But even then it is often okay to enjoy a game if it still looks reasonable. There will be differences but not everybody cares that much about those.