• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Electronic Games preview and review
JJ94lJh.jpg

Computer Gaming World preview
YXwzlRW.jpg

Computer Gaming World review
h947lgP.jpg

Electronic Entertainment - PC Review
ojxVJXj.jpg

EDGE - PC Preview
rQ5KEgN.jpg

EDGE - PC Review
9x2fgt6.jpg

Dc5w2bY.jpg

EDGE - Doom II PC review
05zIdHt.jpg

AlTciB4.jpg

Computer and Video Games (PC)
6MeFkpG.jpg

Computer and VideoGames (PSX preview)

NyoBFkn.jpg

Computer and VideoGames (PSX review)
zx4DRw6.jpg

GameFan (SNES)
Rz0wd98.jpg

6lhxFSl.jpg

GameFan (32X)

IHCh0J9.jpg

aNsvwU6.jpg

GameFan (Jaguar)
WoctRaM.jpg

rK0Hw6E.jpg

qUyGAye.jpg

gN9hFtl.jpg

GameFan (PSX Doom)

2FSPPek.jpg

R4VTIe1.jpg

q8dfmzl.jpg

GamePro (PSX Doom)
vRZGYh7.jpg

c1Cf0rF.jpg

EGM (PSX Doom)
z4oBw9q.jpg

RUdTBkI.png

EGM (PSX, Final Doom)
pscPSKg.jpg

N3ZuOXZ.jpg

tQk3Ncl.jpg

55XW6cZ.jpg

Computer and Video Games (Final Doom - PSX, PC)

Nq7AKEa.jpg

xCouK3F.jpg

2GYQ4Lr.jpg

mzTuVZJ.jpg

GameFan (PSX, Final Doom)

gC65OzV.jpg

01zJZDN.jpg

IEdYYXy.jpg

GameFan (Doom 64)

lh1lV9u.jpg

FmwX5V6.jpg

gBEGaPe.jpg

Pj2gsnH.jpg

jIdcB7h.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly's coverage

Y6Scczk.jpg

8AUlZ4k.jpg

St2fwbf.jpg

EDGE and Next Generation
daaTZSc.jpg

Wutnv8F.jpg

VUDvbFz.jpg

Ultra Game Players
AkEHPSg.jpg

GamePro

3QGmXZ1.jpg

rV4yaLK.jpg

Computer and VideoGames

dJmkgo6.jpg

Nintendo Power
gztuXwZ.jpg

qbEhgG3.jpg

QTuqoLw.jpg

Q6Yh6Td.jpg

BhCKPaN.jpg

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Thread of the year right here. Also saying Doom 64 is better than the first one is heresy.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
This thread reminds me of that DF retro where that dude looked at all the console doom ports. It's a shame the DF retro is dead :(

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The saga of 3DO Doom is really something.
Great stuff. Here's the link for those who haven't heard the story (the DOOM stuff starts about halfway past the article). Really "holy sh*t" stuff to anyone who knows anything about game development...

Well, Randy [CEO of Art Data Interactive], because he did not know anything about game development, said, "Okay, we're gonna make the best game of Doom ever! We're gonna have new levels, new weapons, new everything."

As soon as he signed the contract -- the ink wasn't even dry yet. And he went onto a press tour telling everybody he has the rights to Doom, Art Data Interactive is gonna kick ass, they're gonna have new levels, new weapons, and everything.

He even had a friend of his draw mock-up weapons. Just draw them on Photoshop and so forth and give him these screenshots. And he was saying, "These is actual game screenshots."

Of course the press is going, "Oh my God! This looks great! This is awesome!"

Well, he then went to a developer and said, "Hey, can you just do a version for me?"

And they said, "Sure. What you want is gonna take two years and a budget of, like, $3 million."

He said, "Oh no, no, no. You're lying to me."

He went to another developer who, in turn, somehow he finagled them to start on the project but he actually was intending not to pay them.

And he was saying, "Why isn't this game running at 60 frames a second? Where is my new weapons? Where is my new stuff?"

And I'm like, "Do you have any idea how game development is done?"

Because he truly believed all you had to do to put a weapon in a game is to draw it.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Truly interesting stuff on the 3DO version. I remember I had it for my 3DO for a few days, then returned it because it was shit, and it made me feel dizzy playing it.

Then I bought a Jaguar and the 32X with their versions of DOOM. I enjoyed those quite a bit, until I got the PSX version which was awesome.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Great stuff. Here's the link for those who haven't heard the story (the DOOM stuff starts about halfway past the article). Really "holy sh*t" stuff to anyone who knows anything about game development...
The weirdest part is that the 3DO version had a really notable soundtrack because Randy Scott just happened to be a musician who had a band, so Rebecca Heineman was able to have him produce a totally unique arrangement of the soundtrack for it in lieu of having to convert the original one (especially since the Jaguar version she was porting didn't actually have music).

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nah, Doom 64 is full of confounding mazes designed only to get the player lost, whereas Doom is full is smart levels that are complex but logical.

Doom PSX has the most chilling soundtrack in all of videogames.
The original had plenty of levels that were just mazes designed to get the player lost. Frankly, I think DOOM 64 is a solid installment in the series, and it's arguably as good as or better than the original in most respects. It's a shame that it'll likely never be re-released officially, because it's a great game that a lot of people overlooked.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Last edited:
OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Since it's the 25th anniversary of DOOM, I decided to add more articles that I never quite got around to.

EGM Jaguar Doom
uxcWnFo.jpg

97hAAr6.jpg

ikOCxtk.jpg

gufOxuf.jpg

7dibOzD.jpg

EGM 32x Doom
bWOhMso.jpg

VUkehLJ.jpg

EGM2

fXtt3KI.jpg

Last edited:

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Interesting that this thread pops up not long after I find my old stash of Nintendo Power magazines. Guess I'll have to dig through them for anything on Doom 64...