• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
BNy4K5L.jpg

I live in suburban New England and every day I walk by a stone fence surround what used to be the Ma governor's mansion (circa late 1800's). In a section of the fence there are a uniform series of metal spikes/nails ending in a loop. I was thinking this might have been for horses, or a chain or something similar.

Any ideas?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
that is the gateway to narnia. you just need to ram through it with your head and you will arrive there guaranteed

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I thought it was for banners and the weird or to hang signs.

I also live in New England, and I dont have an answer.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Good luck, I asked for help identifying a bird skull but all of the comedians who couldn't hack it in stand up settled in my thread instead. The urge to troll even the most insignificant thread is apparently too strong to resist.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're for horses but probably just really old hooks used for hanging signs, christmas lights, and various decorations. You say it's the old governor's mansion so there has likely been a ton of events held there over the last century+.

Edit: Look on Facebook for your towns historical society and shoot them a message. There will be someone there who knows the history of the wall and house and everything else. Or maybe even just go up and knock and ask, if it's owned by someone they probably are into the historical preservation aspect of it and could answer or point you to someone who would know.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're used to string up the heads of the villages' enemies to warn people not to trespass.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Probably just decorations or signage then. Sounds too small to tie up animals on.

Is this wall at chest height? Waist? Over your head?
More than decorations, for sure. There are a lot of them in 3 rows. The fence is probably 7ft or so. Since they are uniform in 3 rows I was thinking a chain or rope was strung through them, but Ivy or some sort of plants sounds good.

Remember this was a governor's estate built in the late 1800's.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I love things like this, there is a Reddit for it and the folk in it are amazing. I've never gotten one unfortunately, sorry I can't help.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Looks like something out of a Robert Frost poem. I'm pretty sure it's by a big hayfield and a big oak tree at the north end of the wall. Check under that weird rock to see if there's something buried.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely for ivy, but I bet it's also good for hanging christmas lights

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so loops on walls are likely to be for vines? So these loops on a college dorm are probably for ivy? This would solve a 15 year mystery.
136857757p4jpv.png

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Wag, tear down this wall.