• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Not a whole lot, really. He followed it up with, "So, did I catch you?"
I (kindly) told him no, I'm at work. He asked, "What about later?", I said I was in a happy relationship, and that was that. I don't remember what he said in response, but it wasn't anything story-worthy. He still ran around the store with his friends until we finally had to lock the doors and close, so he must not have been too beat up about it.

did/do you work at a video game store?

i always feel bad for girls that do. i had a young, very pretty co-worker at EB Games back in the day and I had to call security more than once.

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
did/do you work at a video game store?

i always feel bad for girls that do. i had a young, very pretty co-worker at EB Games back in the day and I had to call security more than once.

You got it. I worked at GameStop (for years) up until I was offered an internship in my field.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not a whole lot, really. He followed it up with, "So, did I catch you?"
I (kindly) told him no, I'm at work. He asked, "What about later?", I said I was in a happy relationship, and that was that. I don't remember what he said in response, but it wasn't anything story-worthy. He still ran around the store with his friends until we finally had to lock the doors and close, so he must not have been too beat up about it.
Did you get to make Master Ball references at him?

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...This is pretty simple if you have any social awareness.

Next time you go to check out with her, ask her if she'd like to grab coffee or dinner sometime

If she says sure, ask if you can text her later to set it up and grab her number. Success.

If she says no or isn't interested, say "no worries, have a great day!" And continue on knowing she wasn't into you.

No origami. No waiting around for her to get off work. No weird interactions. Jeez

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not going through 10 pages of this, but on average how many times per page page did we get "don't hit on people while they're working"?
Because don't do that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A++ extremely entertaining thread, would read again.

There was a little tension until I got to the post where the OP didn't go through with it, but the drama took this thread to the next level.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's healthy because it's realistic. You just need to see the statistics for domestic violence and mass shootings and murder suicides by intimate partners, where it's men being rejected by women or are misogynists. No need to bring up anecdotes, it still comes as justifying asking someone out while they're at work and generally it's not a good idea.
There was a staff post a few posts above yours that told me to stop so if you want to discuss this over PM I'd be fine with that.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Damn...This is pretty simple if you have any social awareness.

Next time you go to check out with her, ask her if she'd like to grab coffee or dinner sometime

If she says sure, ask if you can text her later to set it up and grab her number. Success.

If she says no or isn't interested, say "no worries, have a great day!" And continue on knowing she wasn't into you.

No origami. No waiting around for her to get off work. No weird interactions. Jeez
This, and only this. It doesn't have to be amazingly natural, awkward is fine but only to a degree and only for so long.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
- Hey, would you like to grab a coffee someday?

- Sorry I'm not interested

- Oh ok, have a nice day!

How can that little interaction be creepier than looking the person up in social media is still beyond me and (again) as someone who works with clients I'd say please don't do that, ever.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
- Hey, would you like to grab a coffee someday?

- Sorry I'm not interested

- Oh ok, have a nice day!

How can that little interaction be creepier than looking the person up in social media is still beyond me and as someone who works with clients I'd say please don't do that, ever.

Yeah, while I fully get why people would frown on asking someone out at their work, the responses of "Just figure out her full name and find her on Facebook instead" are making me feel like I don't understand 2019.

I'm going to chalk it up to "People on Resetera are weird."

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the way you've acted towards other users ever since that post and not realise how #notallmen/sealioning you come across, I'll pass.
So why did you quote me in the first place outside of putting words in my mouth? I've never even argued anything about men, I argued about women not all holding the same opinion. Me thinking being affraid of every man you come across is just making life difficult for yourself was never my main point. I'm happy for you that you were able to apply stereotypes to someone today to feel better about yourself, glad I could help out.

Last edited:

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
My fave thing about these threads is that men never have to think about the recent times where a man has gone on a shooting spree because a woman turned him down or because he couldn't get laid. Men are so privileged that they literally never stop to think about the fact that men can get angry or violent if you turn them down. I personally have more than a few examples of this, and I'm positive that 99% of women do too.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My fave thing about these threads is that men never have to think about the recent times where a man has gone on a shooting spree because a woman turned him down or because he couldn't get laid. Men are so privileged that they literally never stop to think about the fact that men can get angry or violent if you turn them down. I personally have more than a few examples of this, and I'm positive that 99% of women do too.
Yup. Men just need to ask any female person they know and just ask, if statistics don't do it for them. It's depressing how frequent it is. I asked my sister a few years ago, was saddened.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
"Ignore the women who tell you it's creepy and that we're made uncomfortable by guys doing this"

Is this peak mansplaining?

The reason people are saying not to do this:

You have no real connection with a person who is literally paid to be nice to you

It creates fear and anxiety. We can never tell if you're the next incel to kill a woman because you were rejected

If we decline, you can literally get us fired by complaining about something you made up, it's a fucked-up power dynamic

Women don't exist to be targets for every guy who thinks this is an original or acceptable approach

The problem here is, at root, the idea that men are entitled to a second of a woman's time just because they find them attractive. The entire concept neglects women's feelings just so a dude can "shoot his shot", as if it should be assumed men have the right to bother women where they work while women have no right to be left alone. It's toxic as fuck.
☝️☝️☝️

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Do y'all like... know how social media works? If you know their full name you can just add them. No "creep stalk" required!~
Good gods.... this is so wrong. >_<

Adding her on social media after they've interacted outside of her work (like gone on a date or whatever), sure. Before that? Fuck no. I'd be utterly creeped out in her place, way more than if he had just asked my number...
or even given me an origami with his number...

Please please do not add her on social media, OP.
Personally I think adding her on social media just because she was your cashier is way creepier than asking at work. I don't recommend asking her at work either, but if you can be sure without a shadow of a doubt she's being genuine with you and not out of professional courtesy, sure why not. Just be really damn sure lmao
Agreed with this.

I think it really really depends on what kind of non-work interactions they've had. It's possible that even such interactions were just her trying to be nice/doing her job and not really "genuine", though, no matter how sincere it seemed from his end, and the guy should always keep this in mind.
I have to admit, I am kind of surprised at the responses in this thread.

I would 1000x over rather have someone offer me their number on the inside of a small, very inexpensive homemade gift than wade through smalltalk while they slowly make their way towards asking me out while I'm working. In fact, those are the conversations I would dread as a cashier.

She has the option to not call, she doesn't have to reject OP to his face and deal with the usual outcomes that result from rejecting someone and feeling guilty about it... and if she's interested, she'll contact him. I don't claim to speak for all women, but as someone who has been in this situation thousands of times, I would have been so much happier to receive a kind gesture like this than the typical "let's make small talk with the very clear intent of my asking you out at the end" at work.
Thank you for your perspective. I never worked customer service, but I think I'd feel similarly. At least you can have a good laugh about the origami with your co-workers or something and laugh at the awkward nerd or whatever (sorry, OP... xD), whereas, depending on how a verbal interaction goes, it can be really uncomfortable.

What you definitely shouldn't do is throw a plastic Pokeball at your cashier and yell, "I choose you!" ...
. . .
oh my god lol

Update went to Whole Foods
OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
She was working the register today when I came through. I only asked her if she had any fun weekend plans. She got pretty excited and started telling me about a hike and camping spot she is visiting with her boyfriend..

My response was basically like "oh that sounds awesome, I hope you have a good time!" (inside I was kicking myself but thanking the gods I didn't bring origami)

Then she asked "What about you?" and my response was a bit of a mess I think lol. I said I was gonna relax and play some video games (sigh) I guess I could have mentioned I'm learning origami too, but oh well.. she's taken, that's that

Silver lining, I was able to discover this organically and without making her uncomfortable I assume

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
maybe she read the thread and took initiative

anyway, at least now you dont need to think about it anymore and can move right along into the rest of this life of opportunity!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
She was working the register today when I came through. I only asked her if she had any fun weekend plans. She got pretty excited and started telling me about a hike and camping spot she is visiting with her boyfriend..

My response was basically like "oh that sounds awesome, I hope you have a good time!" (inside I was kicking myself but thanking the gods I didn't bring origami)

Then she asked "What about you?" and my response was a bit of a mess I think lol. I said I was gonna relax and play some video games (sigh) I guess I could have mentioned I'm learning origami too, but oh well.. she's taken, that's that

Silver lining, I was able to discover this organically and without making her uncomfortable I assume
Phew, crisis averted!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

Good job having patience.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Don't let the fact that she has a boyfriend stop you OP. Win her away from her boyfriend by making a beautiful origami turtle. Wait outside for her to get off or if public places make you uncomfortable and want a more private moment to give it to her, follow her to her house and approach her as she is walking inside. She will most certainly fall in love and dump that loser in a heartbeat!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
tenor.gif

Bring it in OP. You did good, life will go on and you will have your moment.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
At least OP didn't do it but JFC do I feel bad for women who have to work in retail. Seriously can't even imagine what it's like for women just to be existing in the world and knowing there are men everywhere just like "oh she looked this way! Does she want me? Should I ask her out?"...Unreal what women have to deal with. And the people saying that it's paranoia when women say these things make them nervous and fearful should try talking to an actual woman about these things and hearing their experiences.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sorry about the bad news but at least it was a very organic way to find out about it. Better luck next time. If you stick with the origami you at least have an interesting future story to tell about how you learned it..

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest take away from this thread should be: Please respect people working in the services industry. If you want to conceive of and execute an elaborate romantic plan for your Doctor or Lawyer then please go ahead (hint: you probably won't) but leave people who have to interface with the public for their living (especially on low wages) alone.

Not at their services job or around their services job.

Gotta love the people who say "Yeah I asked someone out at their job and they turned me down and I went back and it wasn't a problem, no big deal, life goes on". NO.

Nobody is saying people shouldn't ask people out, no one is against romance but life is not like Pretty Woman. You are not Richard Gere. If someones capacity to react to you is hampered by their work then it's not appropriate.

Full disclosure: I'm saying this as a Man who was often belittled by Women when I worked in the services industry and honestly it wasn't that big a deal but I can only imagine what it's like for Women especially if they get some "Alpha", roided, gift to Women type; and they exist, trust me I've known many.

OP I think anyone who has read and followed your posts can tell you are a really nice guy, you just need to meet people with similar interests and as a current singleton I know that's not easy. I think we all know you have a creative flair so get out there and find like minded people. Social media is not the answer for everyone, I know it's not for me. Remember the more people you meet the more people you WILL meet.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody is saying people shouldn't ask people out, no one is against romance but life is not like Pretty Woman. You are not Richard Gere. If someones capacity to react to you is hampered by their work then it's not appropriate.
Are you saying that I shouldn't ask prostitutes for dates after sex? Romance truly is dead.

Oct 27, 2017
Good gods.... this is so wrong. >_<

Adding her on social media after they've interacted outside of her work (like gone on a date or whatever), sure. Before that? Fuck no. I'd be utterly creeped out in her place, way more than if he had just asked my number...
or even given me an origami with his number...

Please please do not add her on social media, OP.
This... seems like such a jump. If OP actually "kindled a friendship" with the person, why wouldn't he add her? I mean, that's me taking his post at face value, but it just seems weird to be bothered by a friend adding you on a social platform.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

thank god you discovered this organically rather than origamically.