• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, the origami approach has all of the makings of making you look like a creepy potential serial killer.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Man some of you are cruel as fuck. Did any of you start dating before Tinder was invented?

Sorry to hear about the bad news OP. At least you were casual about it and figured it out organically.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things I've learned from this thread. Some of you are super creepy. Far too many guys are making asking a woman out far too big a deal. There are a bunch of stalkers here. And very few have social awareness.

At least there were a decent amount of counter posts.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This... seems like such a jump. If OP actually "kindled a friendship" with the person, why wouldn't he add her? I mean, that's me taking his post at face value, but it just seems weird to be bothered by a friend adding you on a social platform.
But he doesn't know how friendly they truly are because he hasn't interacted with her outside of a context where she's paid to be nice

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What a ride.

giphy.gif

Thank you to the counter posts in this thread for picking up the slack of the rest of Era.

Dont ask people out in their place of work fellas, especially a service job where theyre paid to be nice. It's really not hard.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I can't tell which posts are the posts and which are the counter posts.

Anyway good on you OP for not jumping the shark with someone you don't really know.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Responses to this thread are about as bad as the idea of asking someone out at their place of work. People go right for the jugular telling the dude he's a creep and making it a shame-thread. Fat shaming doesn't work and this doesn't either. If you want to further contribute to making shy awkward people into incel alt-right assholes then carry on...

That's not what creates alt right incels dude

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalence surrounding bigotry
Doesn;t do that either

Extremists prey on the disenfranchised. If we go for the jugular and shame people who are just clueless instead of treating them like human beings you are setting up the ball for the first red-piller who comes along to nudge it into the hole.

People are obviously responsible for their own actions, ultimately. But we have to accept some culpability when we act to take people down instead of building them up. We have to stop abusing people for not having learned what we have.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I say this as kindly as possible. You are on the internet. The internet goes many other places than Resetera and one of them is google. Youtube also has a search function. It is also pretty damned creepy that you stalk this person and think that walking up and handing her a paper something or other will come off as anything other than creepy when you seem to not even be able to have a conversation with her.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just ask her out and move on if she says no.

A guy at work literally the other day said he was gonna try and pick up a girl (customer) by creating a contact in his phone, putting her name in (He knows her name) and putting the cursor in the phone number field and saying "check this out" and handing her the phone in the hopes that she figures out the puzzle.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
At least you found this in the least embarrassing way possible. Just take this as a lesson that someone who is paid to be affable isn't necessarily vibing with you.

Oct 28, 2017
He did, they were such close friends he didn't know she had a boyfriend... he does now though.

Ah man, I was only on page 3, spoilers.

This thread feels off to me. I get service folks are paid to be nice but in working in retail for years I saw it all the time and never gave it a second thought. Sometimes they say no but just as often if they are single and the person asking is attractive, they say yes. Doesnt seem like a big deal.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
She was working the register today when I came through. I only asked her if she had any fun weekend plans. She got pretty excited and started telling me about a hike and camping spot she is visiting with her boyfriend..

My response was basically like "oh that sounds awesome, I hope you have a good time!" (inside I was kicking myself but thanking the gods I didn't bring origami)

Then she asked "What about you?" and my response was a bit of a mess I think lol. I said I was gonna relax and play some video games (sigh) I guess I could have mentioned I'm learning origami too, but oh well.. she's taken, that's that

Silver lining, I was able to discover this organically and without making her uncomfortable I assume

oof....whelp maybe you can find a local origami group.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not agree with this. They have a friendship of some kind so thatbis even better.

No. No. No. No, that's not how this works. The OP claims he has "kindled a bit of a friendship" with the cashier, but they are not friends. They have never spent any time together outside of her customer service role. They have never had a conversation where she wasn't being paid to be nice to him. He didn't even know she had a boyfriend already.

I recommend you guys read this post for an example of how wildly out of control these situations can get when a man mistakes basic human interaction with a retail serviceperson as flirting. Now, I'm not saying the OP would do something like this...but we don't know. We don't have any idea who he is, and more importantly, neither does the girl he's talking to. "Excuse me, can I speak to a manager, the girl on checkout 5 was very rude to me just now..."

The ground rules here really aren't hard. Don't ask people on dates in situations where they're physically stuck with you. Don't ask people on dates in places where there are no witnesses around, like empty parking lots. Don't ask people on dates in situations where their job and livelihood depends on making you happy. This shouldn't be difficult. But of course it becomes difficult because every Stalker Sammy has a story about how his brother's friend asked out a girl at Starbucks and she said yes so maybe it'll work for him too. That's how stalkers operate; the slightest bit of "hope," even if it has nothing to do with their particular situation, is enough to keep them going even when all available evidence says the person is not interested or has even told them such repeatedly.

Oh, and...

I get service folks are paid to be nice but in working in retail for years I saw it all the time and never gave it a second thought. Sometimes they say no but just as often if they are single and the person asking is attractive, they say yes. Doesnt seem like a big deal.

"Be attractive, don't be unattractive." Yeah, no shit. People are more willing to say yes if a person they're actually attracted to asks them out. Thanks for this bold scientific inquiry. The problem is that because you have no idea if the other person finds you attractive, you should not be asking them out in a situation where it is potentially unsafe for them to say no.

Oct 28, 2017
No. No. No. No, that's not how this works. The OP claims he has "kindled a bit of a friendship" with the cashier, but they are not friends. They have never spent any time together outside of her customer service role. They have never had a conversation where she wasn't being paid to be nice to him. He didn't even know she had a boyfriend already.

I recommend you guys read this post for an example of how wildly out of control these situations can get when a man mistakes basic human interaction with a retail serviceperson as flirting. Now, I'm not saying the OP would do something like this...but we don't know. We don't have any idea who he is, and more importantly, neither does the girl he's talking to. "Excuse me, can I speak to a manager, the girl on checkout 5 was very rude to me just now..."

The ground rules here really aren't hard. Don't ask people on dates in situations where they're physically stuck with you. Don't ask people on dates in places where there are no witnesses around, like empty parking lots. Don't ask people on dates in situations where their job and livelihood depends on making you happy. This shouldn't be difficult. But of course it becomes difficult because every Stalker Sammy has a story about how his brother's friend asked out a girl at Starbucks and she said yes so maybe it'll work for him too. That's how stalkers operate; the slightest bit of "hope," even if it has nothing to do with their particular situation, is enough to keep them going even when all available evidence says the person is not interested or has even told them such repeatedly.

Oh, and...

"Be attractive, don't be unattractive." Yeah, no shit. People are more willing to say yes if a person they're actually attracted to asks them out. Thanks for this bold scientific inquiry. The problem is that because you have no idea if the other person finds you attractive, you should not be asking them out in a situation where it is potentially unsafe for them to say no.

While I get what you're saying in the last paragraph, it is filled with ifs and fears and snark but I get it. I'm a dinosaur. The world moves on.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should've said 'lucky guy' when she mentioned boyfriend. Don't have to explain why you said just move the convo forward happily while planting a seed, clearly, that you are interested.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Well that was a wild ride. Nice job finding out in a genuinely natural way, OP. That could have been an awkward mess of a situation if it had played out a little differently.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
The problem is that because you have no idea if the other person finds you attractive, you should not be asking them out in a situation where it is potentially unsafe for them to say no.
This part cannot be driven home hard enough. Particularly in a retail environment, people tend to get this idea that if the associate they're dealing with is nice to them, they're friends. Or their available. Or they're dropping hints that they're attracted to you... Wait until you've had some sort of interaction with them outside of a place where they're trapped in a perpetual state of needing to be positive and friendly for the sake of their paycheck before you go assuming anything about your chances with a person.

Should've said 'lucky guy' when she mentioned boyfriend. Don't have to explain why you said just move the convo forward happily while planting a seed, clearly, that you are interested.
Ok, now that one is creepy. The origami thing is looking more and more charming by the minute.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Just don't make it the crux of the interaction. Say it with confidence and don't make it a big deal (because it's not). You can mask it with an anecdote about camping/outdoors and still let her know.

She is taken. She told him she's taken. Why does he need to let her know he's interested anyway?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Just don't make it the crux of the interaction. Say it with confidence and don't make it a big deal (because it's not). You can mask it with an anecdote about camping/outdoors and still let her know.
A charismatic, socially adept person could pull this off.

A person who's first thought after deciding they want to ask someone out is to learn oragami probably can't.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking yikes. OP just came in here looking for some advice he got a well deserved roasting but look it's no big deal to ask out a woman at any location( unless maybe a funeral). As long as you are perfectly respectful and if she says no take that rejection with grace. Good lord people need to realize that there are other avenues than Tinder to meet a new partner.
Well said. There are some embarrassing comments in this thread.

Nothing wrong with asking a girl out at her place of work, especially if you get along. Just be a little subtle about it. The origami is done weird shit though.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing wrong with asking a girl out at her place of work, especially if you get along. Just be a little subtle about it. The origami is done weird shit though.
Hard disagree.

You have to think about whether or not you will make them uncomfortable and making things awkward for the both of you. How is that going to affect future interactions? Will they avoid you? Will you avoid that location entirely?

If it's a place you frequent it's a bad idea.

Here's the other thing: women are constantly being hit on, asked out, creeped on, etc. They're at work, give them some fucking peace. Don't be that guy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

And if a woman says nah you're wrong don't ask me out at work, invite her to coffee where you can explain to her why she's the wrong one!!!!!

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Why is this thread still going? OP found out she's taken and just learned Origami, story is over