• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Don´t do it. Seriously, leave her alone.

I´ve worked in similar environments and people like you are the reason why customer service providers eventually realize that their lives are easier if they are cold and rude to people. Do you know how many times I´ve seen situations like this? It´s always the same: we are nice, make a couple of jokes once in a while and someone assumes they have a chance and has to make us uncomfortable because we can´t say "why the fuck would you bring origami to a complete stranger? Do you want to wear my face or what?". If she´s not interested she´s going to spend the next few shifts afraid the origami weirdo might show up. Leave her alone and meet people in places that are for meeting people, not in places that are for buying tomatoes.

Also, if you want to impress someone, use a skill or talent you actually have. It´s one thing to make an origami whatever for someone and a whole different level of creepy to LEARN origami just to impress someone, particularly when we are talking about someone whose name you only know because they wear a name tag.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
OP...
OP...
COME OUT TO PLAY...

SociableLastFowl-size_restricted.gif

Need to know
a) what happened
B) [for the love of god no] if she is asian

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
idk it seems weird people saying you shouldn't ask people out at their work. like their answer would change if you met them walking down the street?

well I guess the main thing is being able to tell if someone is being nice to you because its their job.
I mean, yeah. I has happened to me and it has happened to coworkers. And even worse when someone recognizes you on the street and approaches you and you have to be nice because they might complain to your boss. I´ve seen this shit many times.

Lots of people here who have never been in the situation of OP´s crush giving advice. You have no idea how many weirdos fetishize customer service workers, particularly women, and casually and mildly harass them. There are a few guys like OP every day in her life and OP needs to realize that.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been out the dating pool for 6 years now, and I didn't have any problems meeting women to date, but my off limits were women who were working. Even if you are 99.99% sure they are into you, just leave them alone. By default they have to be nice its part of their job.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Save origami for the 4th or so date, maybe something when you've been married for years and the kids are bored because it's raining outside and the internet is down.

If you already know each other well just ask if she wants to grab some coffee or lunch, or just set up a time to hang out and see if you two have chemistry. Who knows, maybe she has habits that you might not like, and the illusion/spell wears off. You don't want to go on a origami lesson, and put a lot of energy into trying to impress her to find out she annoys you after 30 minutes because she's obsessed with Korean boy bands and won't stop talking about them.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to end well. At all. Trust me I worked in a grocery store like this for years I know how it goes.

Just go to a bar or join tinder or some shit.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Seriously though, people are being overdramatic about the asking out shit. No origamis. If you're really interested, just casually ask if she's busy this weekend, or ask her Instagram or something. If you get a I'm busy, or a I don't have one or something like that, there's your answer. No need to make it extra awkward.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Don't know why any of us are even in this thread. OP is never coming back in here and is just going to act like this thread never happened.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Well, the origami thing is probably a terrible idea but people here saying that asking them out at work, which is probably the only time you get the chance to interact with her, is also a terrible idea. So, how does one ask her out then? Ask her out in social media? For that, you have to ask for her account in order to add her. Searching for her account and asking her out after is just creepy. Just asking because I'm genuinely curious at how people think they should go about it.
But what if they're the type that actually doesn't mind if they get asked out while working and you really like them (assuming you've interacted with her a bunch of times to be a familiar face)? Do all people, and I mean ALL people, think it's really inappropriate?

Just curious? Asking for a friend?

2256932_0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
China
Next time you're in line and have no one behind you just ask her something super casual and something super short.

I've worked retail and these guys are obvious, hanging back loitering around the tills until she has no queue before making a move. Even better when my till is free and I call them forward only for them to let the person behind them got first so they get served cute cashier.

We've seen it all and these moves are neither original or slick casual as these guys think they are. Ever.

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I read this whole thread. First thought was "oh god she's gonna be Asian, isn't she?" That twitter story made my night now I need to shower the awkward cringe away

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
MajulaDream If you're a shy guy who isn't a "nice guy" asshole, I hope you have empathy to see it from the customer service employee's perspective of how bad this looks.
some of this thread is ridiculous. It's certainly lacking context. If there is someone that you see regularly and you have a solid rapport with to the point that they know who you are, then asking them out isn't creepy regardless of if it's at work or in a gym or any other place that people regularly frequent.

OP the key is to be direct and low effort. Oragami is way too far. Just ask her out and if you are too shy then bring a friend to be your wingman
However, if he's a regular customer there, and if he is rejected it will be incredibly awkward to go there again and the employee would feel really bad that they're stuck in this situation that they didn't want to where a regular customer could hit on them.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
MajulaDream If you're a shy guy who isn't a "nice guy" asshole, I hope you have empathy to see it from the customer service employee's perspective of how bad this looks.

However, if he's a regular customer there, and if he is rejected it will be incredibly awkward to go there again and the employee would feel really bad that they're stuck in this situation that they didn't want to where a regular customer could hit on them.

I respect your opinion on this stuff, Era in general is very quick to dogpile people and assume the worst. You even did this in your post which could be paraphrased as "if you are a nice guy and not the ass I assume you are then leave her alone"

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
You might make their workplace really uncomfortable if she doesn't feel the same way OP. Asking at their work just seems like a bad idea.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
OP asks for advice about something he can look up online, including videos, ands it something that clearly isn't a good idea and is cringe. Then OP doesn't respond to anybody in a 5+ page thread where he asked advice.

Joke thread? Seems like bait.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Real anecdote to help you out OP.

Around the time my wife was leaving me I was doing everything to win her back. At some point I got the idea of making her something as a sign of me putting effort, work, and thought towards repairing what was broken between us. I got it in my head to make an origami bouquet. I looked up youtube videos on kawasaki roses and spent maybe 4-5 hours making a single one. It wasn't great and it was only one but it was good for a first attempt. I gave it to her the next time we met, we had a good date and she came back.

For a while at least. Not long after that, maybe a couple of weeks, she left me for good as I headed off to Afghanistan for a year long deployment. Maybe because I didn't want to admit my own faults I partially blamed my failed attempts to win her back on my shitty job at making the rose. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. Maybe I wasn't talented enough. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to detail.

For the next year I was there I had a lot of extra time to think to myself, especially on overnight guard shifts. During those shifts I would bring a stack of paper with me and make rose after rose after rose. I got my folding time down to 1 hour, then 30 minutes, then 15 to the point where I'd have a full bowl of roses at the end of every shift. I started getting the nuance of adding curved folds, wrinkling for natural effects, adding stems and thorns, and even effecting the shape to establish different bloom stages. I had to have made well over a thousand roses by the end of my tour. Regardless, she never came back.

A couple of years later I would be on my 2nd trip to Japan. While there I met this wonderful woman and went on a few dates with her. As I was leaving Japan for that trip we had our last date in a restaurant and I wanted to give her something as a keepsake to remember me. On the spot I quickly folded a kawasaki rose out of one of the napkins. It was as easy as riding a bike but it amazed her.

We've been married for 4 years now.

Moral of the story: OP don't do this. Don't bother service workers at their work by trying to hit on them.

Follow up, this good OP? I'm rusty but I still mostly got it down.

yHvChPz.jpg

Don't do this to people working OP...

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
It might not succeed in getting you a date, but I highly recommend just talking to her like she was a regular person. Be yourself, be kind and respectful, ask her about her day or comment on interesting things that she chose for herself. A funky bracelet perhaps. (Don't compliment her body, btw, compliment the things she chose to express herself with.) Chat her up. If she's interested or becomes interested, she'll make more of an effort to talk to you and maybe ask you for a low key coffee. And if not, well, you survive to see another trip to Whole Foods.

Because while you're rightly getting teased for the origami idea (and I'll add my voice to the chorus of "please, tell me she's not Asian") and rightly warned against asking CS folks out, I think your impulse seems relatively cute and earnest. Like, it feels like it comes from a good, though socially awkward and immature, place.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Just briefly ask her out and move on
Yeah. Ignore the "never at work!" people here. Just do your normal ceckout conversation, and ask. "hey would you like to get coffee sometime?" She'll probably say no. It's fine. You can still go to her line after and be whole food friends. Both of your lives will continue to be fine.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hahaha. LMAO.

But, seriously, I was curious as to how people here think they should approach the situation the OP is in since most people here think talking to her at work or outside is a bad idea. The gist of it is don't do anything.

If it must be someone that works at a place you frequent, become a regular and crack the smallest of small talk from time to time until they initiate an actual conversation. Then you've got a way to get to know them over time where they may reach a point to ask if you want to hang after work or you get invited to a group hangout or something.

Unless you're hot. Then different rules apply.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking do it OP, origami and all, if you fail atleast you end up with a funny story

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to ask her out in a very casual way, that is fine. Ask her out for coffee or a movie or something, but try to find a way to do it that doesn't put a lot of pressure on her.

Do not bring her weird gifts and presents. If she is interested in you, it doesn't matter whether or not you bring her gifts. If she is not interested in you, it doesn't matter whether or not you bring her gifts. Your origami creation is really not going to sway her one way or another.

Not doing it
OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back.

Wow this thread blew up.

I was going to post a pic of my progress with an origami flower design I found.. but yeah... I'm having second thoughts after reading through the feedback. Some interesting posts aside, there is some really good constructive criticism from posters which I do actually appreciate. Thanks.

To answer a recurring question, no the person is not Asian lol. You can breathe Era lol.
Pretty sure she's Romanian or Russian. Eastern European. I think she's great, I like her :)
But I have to face up to the fact that there's no way my plan is great or would be acceptable as I earlier envisioned.. its fun learning how to do something new at least (origami).

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I become more convinced Era is mostly shut ins by the day. I'm a huge introvert and I still wouldn't have any problem asking someone I liked out on shift. Chances are if you get along well then you'll have a good read on whether it's just the professional niceties or genuine rapport. It isn't like it has to be a hammy awkward proposal either. Asking people out on a date in real life isn't hard or abnormal or creepy if you're a normally adjusted person who isn't trying to pick up randoms you've just met.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
If it must be someone that works at a place you frequent, become a regular and crack the smallest of small talk from time to time until they initiate an actual conversation. Then you've got a way to get to know them over time where they may reach a point to ask if you want to hang after work or you get invited to a group hangout or something.

This is my thinking too. Asking someone out is Ok as long as you've become familiar and comfortable to have a conversation with to them. But if you just talked to them like 2 or 3 times, yeah, asking her out is a big no. Also, that origami thing is a no unless you're already friends.

Unless you're hot. Then different rules apply.

LMAO.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back.

Wow this thread blew up.

I was going to post a pic of my progress with an origami flower design I found.. but yeah... I'm having second thoughts after reading through the feedback. Some interesting posts aside, there is some really good constructive criticism from posters which I do actually appreciate. Thanks.

To answer a recurring question, no the person is not Asian lol. You can breathe Era lol.
Pretty sure she's Romanian or Russian. Eastern European. I think she's great, I like her :)
But I have to face up to the fact that there's no way my plan is great or would be acceptable as I earlier envisioned.. its fun learning how to do something new at least (origami).
if we don't get a picture of your origami crane