• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Not supposed to be MGR? You can dodge spam in mgr as well. In comparison MGR dodge spamming is actually worse.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I just popped the difficulty down to easy or automatic or whatever since I didn't find it that fun and just wanted to continue with the the story.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
You gotta remap the control OT, I use L2 to fire weapons, so you pretty much always holding down the L2 button during combat, r2 to dash, R1 for special and r3 to log on. Default control scheme is not good imo.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
You're not. NieR's combat is up there as one of the best of 2017. The enemies just don't make you use the system to its full potential, but the depth is there.

The combo options are plenty. It's just your lack of creativity that you're using the same repeatable combo. Game is easy to play, but hard to master.

Exactly. This does lead to at least one of my only reservations with the system is that the enemy variety doesn't necessitate variety in combat, nor is there really any incentive to get players to want to experiment more with the combat. If there's anything lacking in Automata it's the reliance on the player's own experimentation with the combat, which if you're not familiar with character action games might lead people to just min-max and not get a full experience. Their loss perhaps, but if Square and/or Platinum are serious about making this a franchise they should probably place a bit more of an emphasis on how deep combat can be. Only say this as I've heard at least Square wants this to be more of a thing in their lineup.

bluemax

Oct 25, 2017
Just load up on crit and taunt and ezpz.

Also I played on Normal because I know Yoko Taro games are about the experience and the combat system being how it was is part of the narrative experience.

Exactly. This does lead to at least one of my only reservations with the system is that the enemy variety doesn't necessitate variety in combat, nor is there really any incentive to get players to want to experiment more with the combat. If there's anything lacking in Automata it's the reliance on the player's own experimentation with the combat, which if you're not familiar with character action games might lead people to just min-max and not get a full experience. Their loss perhaps, but if Square and/or Platinum are serious about making this a franchise they should probably place a bit more of an emphasis on how deep combat can be. Only say this as I've heard at least Square wants this to be more of a thing in their lineup.

But that would go against Yoko Taro's design goals...

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bruceleeroy 063080 said:
Huh I must be in the minority. I thought it had excellent combat. Certainly better than something like the Witcher
Loved the combat! It gives you so much freedom! Those purple orbs they shoot at you never bothered me, I saw people saying they're difficult to avoid, but what the heck they're so slow and easy to dodge, you can basically get away from them while walking.

Btw just uploaded a video for the OP to see what I mean, I hope it helps - like I said I never found it difficult, just pure fun! :)

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh I must be in the minority. I thought it had excellent combat. Certainly better than something like the Witcher

This forum and the old one is literally the only place I heard multiple people call the combat bad in a single thread. Mindblowing.

I'm about 7+ hours into Neir Automata and I'm having a hell of a time coming to grips with fighting enemies, which is a problem considering that's the meat of the gameplay. I'm constantly downing health kits, taking hits that I really shouldn't be taking, and none of the combat feels particularly satisfying.

Like, I don't know what determines when I can launch an enemy or not after countering with a small sword. Sometimes the counter attack will hit and launch the enemy up for an air combo, but lots of other times 2B is left hanging in the air flailing around because the enemy ignored it. Enemies seem to ignore a lot of attacks come to think of it. Against harder enemies I often find myself sitting back and pelting them with bullets because when I get close they super-armor through all of my attacks and take off half my life. But that's pretty much the opposite of fun.

I get that this isn't supposed to be Bayonetta or MGR. It's supposed to be a game that can be beaten by RPG fans, not just Platinum fans. But there really seems to be nothing to get a hold of here.

So please, is there anything I'm missing? Should I just grind levels to trivialize the combat?

Light's school of Nier:

0) git gud

0.5) Kids Mode?

1) You can cancel pretty much any animation at any time into a jump or dodge.

2) the dodge animation (the actual slide) has a TONNN of invincible frames. You will go straight through any attack that isn't still touching you when it's finished, and for the most part this can be spammed.

3) Learn to observe enemies, learn their attacks. Just because they attack doesn't mean they're finished. Just because they're not looking at you doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

4) You don't have to hit everything with a sword, that is stupid. Sometimes the danger is just too dense and you should play it safe.

5) You don't have to combo everything until it dies. Learn to get a few hits and back off if you aren't confident that you've got them staggered/launched.

6) If an enemy has Super Armor, #3 is your life. Sometimes, enemies have Super Armor that can be broken, making them vulnerable to projectiles.

7) Use the Pod charge attacks.

8-infinity) E V A D E C O U N T E R. The timing is lenient, the amount of frames is lenient, and once you start doing it you can LITERALLY keep spamming it until nothing is hitting you anymore. It is completely busted, get used to abusing it.

Nier Automata becomes a bit less difficult once you realize that 2B's defensive options make her broken as hell

If you still can't win...just invest in alot of Defense chips.

The combat is extremely satisfying, you just aren't very good at it atm

Edit:

Also, later in the game, there's a chip that quickly regenerates your HP after not taking damage for a while. Equip this and never unequip it.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly surprised at the dodge comments. I really didn't do it that often past the initial areas in the game, I guess once you find out how you can customize your chips, you can invest time into that to suit your playstyle. I made sure that my uber agressive, self healing, homing missile pod character dodged as little as possible. What helps is you can grind chips in the game to make them stronger.

This forum and the old one is literally the only place I heard multiple people call the combat bad in a single thread. Mindblowing.

Nier Automata becomes a bit less difficult once you realize that 2B's defensive options make her broken as hell

If you still can't win...just invest in alot of Defense chips.

The combat is extremely satisfying, you just aren't very good at it atm

Edit:

Also, later in the game, there's a chip that quickly regenerates your HP after not taking damage for a while. Equip this and never unequip it.

Indeed. I also thought combat was brilliant but I messed with the chip system early on

Even getting the game over screen

And the game is just symbiotic. Items, chips, story the world and the eventual blacksmith make it all amazing.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am honestly surprised at the dodge comments. I really didn't do it that often past the initial areas in the game, I guess once you find out how you can customize your chips, you can invest time into that to suit your playstyle. I made sure that my uber agressive, self healing, homing missile pod character dodged as little as possible. What helps is you can grind chips in the game to make them stronger.

This depends entirely on which mode you start the game in.

I started in Hard Mode, need to become pretty comfortable with dodging just to clear the first level.

Tanking hits at all was completely unviable for most of the game...nearly every enemy had at least one attack that one-shot 2B, including the bullets.

like 80% of my chips were defense oriented and getting tagged still resulted in 70% of my HP being gone instantly. I dunno how much grinding exp helps (never bothered) but it was a pretty long time before I felt safe from being OHKOd due to chip grinding.

Edit:

That has nothing to do with normal mode playthroughs though. Hard Mode doesn't even have a Lock-On feature, I don't even know how it works....it's essentially a completely different experience.
Indeed. I also thought combat was brilliant but I messed with the chip system early on

Even getting the game over screen

And the game is just symbiotic. Items, chips, story the world and the eventual blacksmith make it all amazing.

I knew immediately after getting to the diagonistic with 9S that this game was something special lol

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Those purple orbs they shoot at you never bothered me, I saw people saying they're difficult to avoid, but what the heck they're so slow and easy to dodge, you can basically get away from them while walking.

They can be really scary on a very hard run :s

giphy.gif

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
You can kind of make it work for whatever works for you. I would just shoot and dodge 90% of the time. Melee the rest of the time when it make sense, but avoided it most of the time.

Dec 2, 2017
I had a pretty tough time with the game in the early going. Then when I got enough of a decent chip set a few hours in (wolverine health!) it suddenly became pretty easy. Also didn't hurt that I liked the gameplay and did every sidequest I could - with the xp up chip- so my level was pretty jacked when I went to do the story missions.

OP
OP
DrArchon

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Played for another couple of hours. Think I'm getting the hang of the combat better, but some bits are still grating. Like during certain boss attacks when the best option is to just dodgedodgedodgedodge again and again until the attack is over. They aren't hard, but it feels really braindead.

Really I think the big turning point was putting a heavy weapon on my light attack button and just doing a lot of hit and run.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
81e3d6dec977eb427f7e6783ef533593e2b9270c4004f4c03b135287e4c235fa.jpg

Edit: More specifically, with how fast pace the game can get, some players usually are patient until the enemy tries to attack. At that point, you can dodge and counter while getting in a couple of hits while making sure the enemy doesn't land a hit on you. Not the best way to describe the gameplay of Neir, but it is one of the core fundamentals.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Played for another couple of hours. Think I'm getting the hang of the combat better, but some bits are still grating. Like during certain boss attacks when the best option is to just dodgedodgedodgedodge again and again until the attack is over. They aren't hard, but it feels really braindead.

Really I think the big turning point was putting a heavy weapon on my light attack button and just doing a lot of hit and run.

Note that some dodge counters offer better i-frames than others (like that launcher one), and that you can stay in the air for longer using evade cancelling and jump cancelling moves. Some moves let you throw your weapons in front, and this is a safe way of attacking while avoiding damage.

So what I'm saying is you can turn a single dodge in to i-frame counter and then stay away to deal damage by throwing weapons, and other stuff. Just explore the system more and you'll find yourself having a lot more options.

Be aware that using evade and then pressing the attack buttons result in different moves as well.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Don't play Nier Automata for the combat, it's only there to serve you through the game.

When people praise Nier Automata, they will mention everything but the combat.

The combat is actually fairly deep for an ARPG, with dozens of combinations of weapons and movesets. There are gifs of people doing crazy combo chains where they use self-destruct to cancel into other combos and the Wire pod program to further chain attacks.

It makes stuff like FFXV which is basically holding one button and pausing the game to chug potions look pedestrian and somehow people find ways to appreciate that dumpster fire.

I'll really never understand people who say the combat in Nier:A sucks, it was never going to be Bayonetta or DMC which are aimed at hardcore action game enthusiasts and it's simple enough to be enjoyed by complete newbs as well. It's an enormous step up from Nier 1's combat, like what in the fuck did people want from it?

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watch the videos people are posting. Once you understand the intricacies of the combat, you'll have a lot more fun.

There's a ton of stuff the game never tells you.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I wind up relying on the Pods a lot. Once you get more than one you can charge your Pod weapons and they usually deal really heavy damage. Just make sure you aim correctly before firing them though. Experiment and see which ones work for you. Then during their cooldowns I get in and does a few combos.

Also having different chip configurations helps. I wind up having one offensive and one defensive, and one with high movement. I wind up using the offensive exclusively though because with its high damage output plus a Offensive-Heal chip I never have to worry about health, most of the time. The Auto-Heal chip is also good when you just need a breather.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I moved evade to L2/LT and shooting to R2/RT now you can shoot dodge and attac in comfort. the dodge is very generous so use it often and then i think there's a chip that does an attack on succesful dodges but i could be mistaking it with something else as it has been awhile since I've actually play it.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
I moved dodge to circle and interact to R2 and that works great for me. I really enjoy the combat, find a weapon combo that feels good and that has a combo attack you like, personally enjoy spear with a large sword for some stylish cc attacks. Slap on a deadly heal and you never need healing items again.