• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
1t34347b0rr31.jpg

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I like Sonic Adventure and I have nostalgia for it, but I don't ever want a remake of it. At least one developed by Sonic Team. If it takes away resources that'd be better spent working on a new game.

I'm just sick to death of nostalgia pandering in this franchise and an SA remake feels like the epitome of that. I just want to see this franchise progress and grow beyond the failings of its past.

Sonic Project Hero is such a good example of how this franchise could move fowards.

I think the demand for a remake is just for the sake of novelty. That's the only reason I wanted it. I don't want it anymore.

The Crash & Spyro remakes felt necessary to re-introduce these franchises after they'd been so dormant for so long. I think the Resident Evil II remake is fine because that franchise is still showing signs of consistent quality. Same for FFVII and Link's awakening. These are franchises that are innovating and pushing themselves forwards. Sonic ain't doin that.

Besides, even the Crash fanbase is sick and tired of remakes and want to see something new at this point.

Sonic Adventure was exactly what this franchise needed in 1998. It's not what it needs now.

This is gonna seem bold but I honestly believe that if you're a Sonic fan and you passionately demand for Sonic Team to devote time, budget and resources to a remake, you're doing a massive disservice to the franchise's ability to improve and grow.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly both the Sonic Adventure games have aged like crap. Blows my mind that people still love them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Generally the point of remaking a game with flaws is to get rid of said flaws.

Hence making a good game even better.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
tl;dr Adventure fans are sour that Classic Sonic got a good thing while they get crap like Forces and Team Sonic Racing and feel they are owed something in return, and their own inherent nostalgia leads them to an SA Remake despite them calling out Mania on the same nostalgia card.

Or at least that's one potential take of many.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I didn't even realize this was something people wanted. I could see a simple up-ressed rerelease but people want a remake of these games? 🤔

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Because it has the greatest character of all time.

BIG THE CAT

I JUST WANT A CHAO GARDEN

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Honestly, Sonic Adventure 1 was the closest they got to a good free roaming 3D Sonic game I can kind of understand why there's interest in it.

But given Sega's history of making every rerelease of that title worse, I don't know why anyone would expect a remake to be any good.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Project Hero doesn't look like it does anything special. Just normal 3D Sonic gameplay in an unfinished world.

I'd like a remake of SA1 (and 2), but mostly for nostalgia reasons. I'd rather have a sequel or something new. 3D Sonic was the best it's ever been in the daytime stages in Unleashed...too bad the werehog overshadowed that.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I think the point is Sega needs to work their way into 3d gameplay again. Project Hero is a good tech demo but doesnt really offer anything in terms of level design. Do you really want the same people who just dropped Forces to just make a brand new game with a different play style that they havent done?

Sonic Team can remake the adventure games and then use the same engine and make something new after learning what works and what doesnt. Adventure remake is the first step. Project hero is the end goal.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
If a remake kept the Chao Garden and even expanded it, I would gladly buy it! But I rather have a remake of SA2...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd like it only if it's handled to another studio. SEGA needs to focus on the 2021 title

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sonic Adventure 1 is the best Sonic had felt in a 3D space. I love Generations, but the handling leaves a bit to be desired. Nothing beats the SA1 spindash.

I'll definitely agree that elements of SA1 have aged.. poorly, but it was a really ambitious game. I wouldn't mind seeing them take another go at it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whichever comes first for me. They seriously need to make a better remaster and do better with their ports, because the ports keep getting worse and worse.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Blind nostalgia. Its a mediocre game then and now. The 3D games are so bad now people are looking for any ray of hope.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I don't know I if I want a remake but Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the first console game I've ever played and maybe my most played game from age 10 to 14. But I haven't played the game since then.
So If there's a remake, I will buy it only for nostalgia.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
My personal experience is with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Gamecube. A lot of people didn't like it because you weren't always going fast, but I didn't have any of the 2D sonic nostalgia, so I found it really fun. I liked the characters & general vibe that it had, plus it had the Chao garden, where I spent dozens of hours.

Not sure what evolution of Sonic you're looking for though. That video you posted to me just looks like Sonic Adventure with a better camera & a sandbox rather than a linear level.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The game aging badly is precisely why people want a remake. Regardless what ERA think , Sonic Adventure was quite mindblowing at the time. People want to experience that again with all the jank being fixed and updated visuals.

Ever since they started making the Sonic Unleashed the 3D sections dont feel like they have that free roam aspect of the original Adventure games.

When people ask for a Remake they are usually referring to something on the level of FF7R or RE2make ( which are completely different games from the original ) , not a remake thats just updated models/textures.

It needs to be a brand new game but just uresuses the SA1 Storyline and levels , heck the levels don't even need to be 1:1 they just need to have some of the iconic set pieces from every stage like the Whale chase,Snowboarding..etc

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think the nostalgia argument really works against the Adventure games. The nostalgia that Sonic Team and SEGA tend to overdo is the Genesis stuff. Green Hill, Chemical Plant, etc. A full remake of Adventure would not be the same kind of nostalgia rehash.

Desperate after forces
People have wanted an Adventure remake for at least 10 years.

Honestly both the Sonic Adventure games have aged like crap. Blows my mind that people still love them.
There's still things to like about them. Not every game ages well but there's still stuff about SA2 that I enjoy though to be fair it's been nearly 5 years since I last played it. I don't know if that really matters if they were to remake it. Like not just an HD port but a remake.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that has really aged is the bugs, camera and the graphics. The level design was still pretty decent.
The bugs have gotten worse with every port too. They've even introduced new bugs with their sloppy ports. Oh and to add, with SA1, the quality of the textures have degraded with each port like when you see a jpeg image is constantly copied and recompressed each time.

EDIT:
Doesn't this game get worse every time they port it?

Sounds like a monkey's paw wish if ever there was one.
Didn't see this post above me. Yes. And it's mind boggling how they keep making the port worse.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes. Personally even with the jank, SA1 is one of my favorite games ever. A better looking iteration without the jankiness sounds wonderful.

Plus I NEED my choa garden back!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just nostalgia.

People are in denial of how mediocre both Adventure games are. They really do not hold up at all.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nostalgia is the only thing I can think of. It's not a good game and it's aging like milk.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It is amazing that, after all this time, they still need to relearn this engine.

The problem is that they never really kept an engine. It's not entirely their fault though.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 use the same engine but then the dreamcast died and the PS2 was struggling to use it so they moved to Renderware for multiplatform gaming.
Then next gen consoles and the wii dropped. Fucked up everything. Then eventually they started the boost stuff, side tracked with lost world, and then went back to boost and here we are.

So yeah, remaking Sonic Adventure is probably the way to go before original stuff

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want another 3D game with playable Knuckles and this is looking to be the only way I'll get it.

Otherwise I'd be fine with an SA1 remake or an Adventure 3.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
The adventure games are the best Sonic games. No surprise there's a demand for them.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Forget SA1. I want a Sonic Adventure 2 Remake with an expanded Chao Garden.

In fact, I'll take just the Chao Garden.

Gimme my Chao Garden SEGA!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure was in a lot of respects a genuine attempt at weaving many of the staple physics of the series up to that point into a 3D space, but it wasn't exactly flawless - from the way some levels were clearly given more care and attention than others, to how it was pretty damn buggy - which is on top of the fact that the only re-release we ever got of the game was in many ways an inferior version of the original. In an ideal world, a remake would go back and re-litigate some of those issues while, hopefully, managing to allow Sonic Team to reconnect with what it's like to build an engine that can accommodate Sonic to not only control well in a multi-layered environment, but to be fast when given the opportunity. I would also hope that in remaking the game, it would also allow them to remember what it was like to construct a coherent narrative that actually had a satisfying beginning, middle and end. Say what you will about that dark age Sonic had to go through in the mid-aughts, but the first two Adventure games have stories and narratives that hold up really well under the lens and kind of go unappreciated in a lot of ways, both on their own and in the context of the series at large.

Unfortunately I don't really think Sonic Team is so competent enough to be able to pull off "Adventure but better" yet again, but I've always felt that if you're going to remake a game, you should do it because the original was a product that was clearly not the most ideal version it could be. Remakes like Spyro and Crash are ones I can do without, the classics still hold up well and the only thing the new ones add are pretty graphics - but Sonic Adventure was a game that had issues despite its many flashes of brilliance, and I'd welcome a mulligan on that. I don't know why people get confused by others wanting a remake just because a game "hasn't aged well" or "wasn't very good in the first place" - that's exactly the kind of game that should be getting a remake.

Also, the multiple playstyles of Adventure weren't that bad. Big the Cat was kind of an outlier obviously, but I appreciate that all the multiple playstyles in some way maintained a fast tempo and encouraged you to tackle each and every level under some unique parameters while still feeling mostly uniform (this was something Sonic Adventure 2 got pretty wrong, and which Sonic 06 especially got terribly wrong).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The ONE thing that Sonic Adventure did best that the other 3D Sonic games haven't achieved is the control of Sonic in a 3D space. His momentum, run, ball mode, spindash to jump and homing attacks all felt very good. The level design didn't truly allow most of that mobility to work out (not counting that one beta version of Hidden Valley that we all love to look back on).

Sonic Adventure 2 played fine, although the spindash isn't quite the same as SA1. We all know how the rest went.

Other than that....nah don't need it.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sonic Adventure is in a weird place where they already made an "enhanced" port for the Gamecube and PC back in the day, and botched it by relying on an early buggier version of the code, replacing textures for apparently no reason with inferior ones, and introducing more bugs for the hell of it.
This version has been the baseline version going forward, so all current ports are based on it and not the original (and less buggy) release.

I'm not sure what they should do now, tbh, it seems like a lot of effort to re-port the original game or to remake it from scratch. Effort I can't see Sonic Team making.

I'd be happy if they just gave the SA2B Chao Garden its own game with a few new gardens / chao variations.
Off-topic - if anybody's interested, there's a fan-made chao garden mod for SA2B PC that fixes various issues and adds back in cut content. I think it's called "Chao World Extended" or something along those lines.
It's the closest we'll probably get to anything new at this point.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just want the game tweaked and fixed to be the great game we all know it can be.

Also Chao Garden.

edit: SEGA if you want money just make a dedicated Chao Garden game. Literally the easiest money and guaranteed successful game right there.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I don't really think Sonic Team is so competent enough to be able to pull off "Adventure but better" yet again, but I've always felt that if you're going to remake a game, you should do it because the original was a product that was clearly not the most ideal version it could be.

This is basically where am at , I want to see a fully realized SA1. The original while a great attempt for its time , had a lot of limitations and flaws. Many of those can actually be fixed now.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
People are desperate because the game is aging like shit but they want to recreate the same magic from September 1999 when they play Sonic Adventure.