• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Let's be honest here, people are talking about a remake that fixes the numerous flaws of the original but has Sega demonstrated any ability to pull that off? After Sonic finally seemed to be back for good with Colors and Generations they followed up with Lost World and Forces so it doesn't look like they really learned any lessons.
tbh I think it's more tight deadlines and or lower budgets that hurt the Sonic games. I'd also say the constant need to try to be the hip new thing, I don't think it's a coincidence Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 came out around the same time gritty reboots were picking up in popularity and likewise Generations, Forces, and Mania AKA lighthearted affairs with callbacks to past entries were made when Marvel movies, PacMan Championship Edition, Megaman 9, among others were popular.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So long as they put the focus on pushing its underused 2D sequel physics model further instead of just making it into boost gameplay.

They nailed his jumping and overall feel in a way that the stiff boost formula never did, parts of his jump, movement, and float after a homing attack just felt right, or at least the best we've seen then achieve in a 3D Sonic.

Take what worked from Boost while pushing the actual physics model in Adventure 1 with an eye to capturing even more true 2D gameplay and actual platforming.

Last edited:

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Sonic game in the style of Adventure (the speed stages anyway), but I don't trust that Sonic Team currently has the ability to make a really good original game in that vein. An Adventure remake would be a good way for them to get reacquainted with making these types of games, so when they would make a new Adventure-like game, they could hone their skills and build on what they already learnt when making the remake.

With modern development tools, it would also be really fucking hard for them to screw up the remake and make a version that's worse than the original. Worst case scenario, we'd still at least get a better version of a classic game, even if the remake still wasn't what some might hope it was.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've always agreed with this. When people speak of liking the Adventure games they're usually talking about the running stages, which only make up a third of SA2 and a little more of SA.
Yes, and really, what I'm saying here is that individual stages might be fun - I can even make the most out of Sonic 06 by simply selecting "Sonic -> Stage Trials -> [FAVORITE LEVEL OF WHICH THERE ARE 5], it has good music, homing mechanics and speedrun strats - but by playing either Adventure 1 or 2 from a clean slate, where you have to go through the campaigns, it isn't even a great game, just a pain in the ass with cringy music and anime writing.

Mario never stooped to such a self-indulgent level as the Adventure games do. I think the story in SA1 is technically true to Sonic, for the last time, but it's just all a bad mix of bad story indulgence and wonky game quality and questionable direction.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Chao Garden needs its own game
Forget SA1. I want a Sonic Adventure 2 Remake with an expanded Chao Garden.

In fact, I'll take just the Chao Garden.

Gimme my Chao Garden SEGA!
We just want the game tweaked and fixed to be the great game we all know it can be.

Also Chao Garden.

edit: SEGA if you want money just make a dedicated Chao Garden game. Literally the easiest money and guaranteed successful game right there.

16mnIGA.png

That's really all I want. It would be the perfect mobile game and I'm already trying to come up with excuses to tell my wife why our vacation funds are empty for the slight chance that a mobile Chao Garden game ever comes out. SEGA could suck me dry with the inevitable microtransactions and gacha mechanics....

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
tbh I think it's more tight deadlines and or lower budgets that hurt the Sonic games. I'd also say the constant need to try to be the hip new thing, I don't think it's a coincidence Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 came out around the same time gritty reboots were picking up in popularity and likewise Generations, Forces, and Mania AKA lighthearted affairs with callbacks to past entries were made when Marvel movies, PacMan Championship Edition, Megaman 9, among others were popular.
I don't see whatever causes these bad games going away for an Adventure remake.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
It's like some of yall don't want me to experience the knuckles Halloween level Rap again or something?

What's wrong with you

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If they remade it like re2make?

Ooohhh shit! That would be godlike. New engine. New enemy types, new power ups, better camera!??!! Come on! That's sick!

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Looking back at the OP I think some people, myself included, got a bit off track. Seems that the OP is worried that the idea of a SA remake is a bit derivative and doesn't push the series forward in a meaningful way. The fact that OP shares Sonic Project Hero shows that they don't necessarily think 3D Sonic has to be bad.

I guess my hope behind a remake would be that it would remind the team about having physics always playing a part in Sonic. However SA doesn't always take advantage of said physics so I understand why the OP would be concerned about the idea of a remake. I think a "remake in spirit" but not a one-for-one remake would be ideal.

I don't see whatever causes these bad games going away for an Adventure remake.
I don't think that's what he's suggesting. Nothing will make bad games go away. I think he was trying to say Sonic's tone changes with the times.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The problem with Sonic Adventure in my opinion is the other characters. I would accept a remake of Sonic Adventure if they were willing to change things up to improve the gameplay instead of recreating it in HD. Though I'm sure the fans disagree with me.

For Sonic Adventure get rid of the requirement to beat every character. Make Sonic the only required character to beat in order to see the full story. If people really love Big the Cat they can fish with him for medals.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
The problem with Sonic Adventure in my opinion is the other characters. I would accept a remake of Sonic Adventure if they were willing to change things up to improve the gameplay instead of recreating it in HD. Though I'm sure the fans disagree with me.

For Sonic Adventure get rid of the requirement to beat every character. Make Sonic the only required character to beat in order to see the full story. If people really love Big the Cat they can fish with him for medals.
As someone who has come to re-love Sonic Adventure, I would be remiss to say that they aren't disproportionately mostly garbage. I like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in SA1 and just Sonic and Shadow in SA2. I think it would be more interesting for them to have every character playable in every stage but they traverse it differently based on their inherent abilities. Like how 2D Sonic does it. I think Tails in SA1 is good for this reason because your racing Sonic in his stages and your encoraged to jump off the main path and use Tail's ability to fly to create your own short cuts.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
As someone who has come to re-love Sonic Adventure, I would be remiss to say that they aren't disproportionately mostly garbage. I like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in SA1 and just Sonic and Shadow in SA2. I think it would be more interesting for them to have every character playable in every stage but they traverse it differently based on their inherent abilities. Like how 2D Sonic does it. I think Tails in SA1 is good for this reason because your racing Sonic in his stages and your encoraged to jump off the main path and use Tail's ability to fly to create your own short cuts.

Tails is the only other character aside from Sonic I beat in SA1. I like your suggestion though. I would welcome such a choice in a potential Sonic Adventure 3.
They could even bring Big the Cat back. Instead of fishing let him use his fishing hook as a grappling hook (like Umihara Kawase). Knuckles could climb walls and break through cracked walls to discover shortcuts. Amy could be a glass cannon type character who can't get hit at all but can dispatch foes with a single hit from her hammer.

There's so much potential use for Sonic and his friends and Sega just plays the safest most boring bet each time.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I gotta say though is the real-time cut scenes in SA1 were good for their time. Actual facial animation in real-time cut scenes in video games was still a pretty new thing.