• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new villain is a baby face.. :( I just cant take the actor seriously.
And who are the real life villians today? Alt right teenage baby faced white guys who shoot people up.

You can't take Kylo seriously when he looks and acts like most real world villains?

The villians of the world are mostly whiny baby faced white guys. Just like Kylo.

Which makes him the scariest SW villain to date in a sense.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've read that article and don't disagree. But these still a difference between as to what StarWars was addressing at the time through its pulpy Flash Gordon like lens, and did so less awkwardly. I'm not saying that StarWars shouldn't be poltical, I'm just saying that's there is a difference in the approach taken before and what was done in TLJ.

Really this becomes a problem more so when it is jarring and stupid like when Finn says 'at least we made them hurt' while doing nothing to actually upend the exploitative power system in place (in fact he just perpetuated it), or Rose says 'this is what really matters'. Like, um, no? It's not wrong to address these things, I just think that it is pretty clunky in TLJ.

It's going from more broad issues like inclusiveness and bigotry/Democracy and Authoritarianism to making definitive and overt commentary on capitalism and very specific causes and thinking that overt commentary is sufficient in place of sound storytelling.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In America? Hell no. Alt-right white teens who shoot people up are a WAY bigger threat and more of the representative of the modern day villian in todays America.

People in America are a heck of a lot more scared of white teen dudes who watch Info Wars and have access to their dads gun. They are the ones who cause all the mass shootings.

That is who Kylo Ren is.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
In America? Hell no. Alt-right white teens who shoot people up are a WAY bigger threat and more of the representative of the modern day villian in todays America.

People in America are a heck of a lot more scared of white teen dudes who watch Info Wars and have access to their dads gun. They are the ones who cause all the mass shootings.

That is who Kylo Ren is.

Why the hell are you all so fucking America-centered?!

FYI I'm French and ISIS is very real here.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell are you all so fucking America-centered?!

FYI I'm French and ISIS is very real here.
George Lucas made Star Wars to be an American myth. American politics is at its core.

It's always been about American politics. Star Wars is American to its core in its politics and themes. Blatantly so.

Alt right teens are a WAAAAAAAY bigger threat I America than ISIS. Star Wars has always represented American politics and Americas enemies.

So yeah of course they are going to be more interested in in modeling villians after the real domestic terrorist threat here.

There is a reason Star Wars clicked here more than overseas. In terms of big franchises it is the most overtly American centric in its politics and themes.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And who are the real life villians today? Alt right teenage baby faced white guys who shoot people up.

You can't take Kylo seriously when he looks and acts like most real world villains?

The villians of the world are mostly whiny baby faced white guys. Just like Kylo.

Compare him to Darth Vader.

It is just not there.

He's a cry baby, a wannabe, a utter chicken of a evil villain.

He just doesn't make the cut. He doesn't appear evil, or menacing, he just appears to be a big, eviliush, whining, baby.

And he looks like it. As soon as he takes of the helmet, it's like watching a whining, cringing baby.

Wrong actor for the role, so wrong. I would dare say, it's the worst casted villain ever.

The actor just doesn't match the villain, he's is just so wrong it's laughable.

He makes the Phantom Menace look good, all by himself.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It is just not there.

He just doesn't make te cut. He doesn't appear evil, or menacing, he just appears to be a big, eviliush, whining, baby.

And he looks like it. As soon as he takes of the helmet, it's like watching a whining, cringing baby.
Thats the point!!! He isn't Darth Vader.

He is a wannabe whiny self entitled alt-right brat. Because that is who the REAL bad guys here are now.

Look at those teenage baby faced Neo-Nazis who shoot up people?

They don't look intimidating. They don't look scary. They are whiny.

But they are the scariest people there is in the country. Exactly like Kylo.

The fact you think he is supposed to be an intimidating badass and thus was badly cast means you missed the entire point of Kylo entiey.

Real bad guys aren't scary looking intimating bad asses.

They are whiney white kids who shoot people up. They are Kylo Ren

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats the point!!! He isn't Darth Vader.
He is a wannabe whiny self entitled alt-right brat. Because that is who the REAL bad guys here are now.

Look at those teenage baby faced Neo-Nazis who shoot up people?

They don't look intimidating. They don't look scary. They are whiny.

But they are the scariest people there is in the country. Exactly like Kylo.

Real bad guys aren't scary looking intimating bad asses.

They are whiney white kids who shoot people up.

Except, this is Star Wars, with Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker, and the Emperor.

Then we get whiny babies. With a baby face look.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

It is just not there.

He just doesn't make the cut. He doesn't appear evil, or menacing, he just appears to be a big, eviliush, whining, baby.

Wrong actor for the role, so wrong. I would dare say, it's the worst casted villain ever.

He's supposed to come off as a wimpy kid acting like a tough guy. He is very inspired by real life villains who are whiny wannabe tough guys like Elliot Rodgers. An entitled man-child who thinks the world owes him and will do anything to get his way. Different type of villain than Vader, but scary in his own way.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except, this is Star Wars, with Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker, and the Emperor.

Then we get whiny babies.
Because the REAL villians of today are whiny white teenagers.

Don't you get it? Kylo Ren is meant to be a modern day alt-right Neo Nazi.

And he plays that part perfectly.

You want a comic book villain. JJ and Rian gave you a villian based on reality.

What a real modern day villian is like. And thus its all the more scary.

Because if someone is going to kill you or your loved ones in a mass shooting they will look and act a hell of a lot like Kylo Ren.

I don't get how you can say he is muscat when Adam Driver plays him exactly as intended.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because if someone is going to kill you or your loved ones in a mass shooting they will look and act a hell of a lot like Kylo Ren.

No, because the story isn't that, it's not a modern story, it's a ancient story.

They have effectively killed the entire extended universe allready, and now we get a big baby face villain?

We can just give the role of the emperor to the Gungans.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't get how you can say he is miscast when Adam Driver plays him exactly as intended.

Oct 27, 2017

Your identity politics is really ugly.

I didn't like the movie very much, but I didn't assume it was because they were racist.

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. The story IS that. That is where you are wrong.

Star Wars has always been about modern politics.

Be it Vietnam or Nixon. And George W. Bush. Star Wars has always had modern political messages and bad guys.

What are you on about? No, it hasn't.

It's always been about lessons lost and forgotten.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are absolutely dead wrong here.

Lucas has point blank said elements of Palpatine are based off Richard Nixon.

He said the prequels had a anti George Bush agenda and had Anakin literally quote George W Bush.

Lucas has explicitly said all this. Lucas has gone ON RECORD that Star Wars deals with modern politics and always had a modern political message (which broadly was always anti-Republican).

RoboticWater

Oct 27, 2017
When does Rey ever condemn Finn? She only begs him to stay before he takes off with the aliens in Maz' castle.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that Rey gets at least noticeably angry at Finn for wanting to leave. But regardless of how intense she gets, it's still strange that she would even beg him to help the Resistance, when her character is supposed to be married to the idea of waiting for her family.
That moment she touches the saber literally gets her captured by the FO. Had she never run off she wouldn't be alone in the woods or got abducted by Kylo (therefore almost delivered to Snoke himself).
And that failure is good, it just doesn't last long. In fact, it doesn't last long in two very critical ways. One, she almost immediately escapes using powers she didn't originally have and just magically learns, so there's very little narrative tension to draw from that mistake, but more importantly, her desire to return to her family is almost immediately forgotten. This flaw of hers doesn't loom over her, nor does it compel and character development. Rey never has to learn anything about herself to better accept the situation with her family, until TLJ where she's told her family is lame and dead, and she basically just says "yeah, I guess I always knew that." If this family thing is actually a flaw of hers, I her to struggle with it constantly.
TFA is very clearly filmed to show that Rey initially fails to resist Kylo's mind probe. She gives him almost everything he wants, aside from the vision of the map.
Wait, so everything except the stuff that's relevant to the plot? This particular scene isn't a huge sticking point, but everyone always mentions little scenes like these when I say that Rey never fails, and it's annoying. Rey gets mind-probed, but not only does she immediately turn that very scene to her favor, it's clear she never actually "lost" anything of great importance either. It's a big deal when the Empire tracks the Falcon to Yavin IV because the audience aware of the immediate impact this will have on the plot. Nothing nearly as plot-relevant or exciting gets sucked out of Rey's mind.
Then she slowly realizes that she has the power to not only resist him, but use his power against him. Again, her ability to adapt to survive fits in with her character in ways that it simply doesn't for Luke or Anakin, early on in their journeys.
I feel like I've said this scores already, but it might not have been to you, but I don't care if it makes sense because of general traits and space magic. It is a problem when your protagonist never encounters a problem that forces her to changer herself in order to progress.I like characters who are well-defined and encounter problems that they aren't suddenly equipped to deal with. That creates engaging drama.

However, in this instance, it doesn't really make sense. How does nebulously "being a survivor" help with a force mind probe? All you can give me are general answers like "well, she's strong-willed and had to survive on her own," but how does that translate directly into being able to redirect a mind-reading attack and then translate that into the ability to control minds. Like, if I shot her in the face, should she be able to adapt to that? Clearly not. It just seems that many people are willing to chalk up anything anything short of getting shot in the face to "being an adaptable survivor." At some point it has to strain the reality of the film when she's "adapting" immediately to every problem she encounters. It certainly has to diffuse the tension too.
Well, not every single survivor has to be the same person, but they all have similar characteristics in that they learn how to adapt and survive in their environments. Rey repesents the good, like Luke. Just because you're simply a survivor doesn't mean you have to have X Y and Y for your all of your personality traits.
It doesn't mean you have to be anyone. I said as much. However, it strains reality when we see a character with a certain backstory not appear to have gained any specific traits from that backstory. How could a bleeding heart like her live on her own for all those years without acquiring any selfish, backstabbing, instinctual, or otherwise negative traits? What's nice too, is that those are interesting traits worth exploring in a film, especially one where this person has to become the hero.

Of course, again, I could ignore this if her altruistic character is engaging throughout the films. It just isn't
The force awakens inside of her, and she's on team good guys.
This, actually typifies her poor character development more than you think. The force awakens, she's team good guy, and that's it. No more questions. She's just a good guy.

Her morality, much like many of her talents, isn't shown to come from anywhere. She's just as good as she needs to be precisely when the movie needs her to be, and I mean good in both senses. She's just extraordinarily talented at things right off the bat, and she never seems grapple with the meaning of "good." If anything, she's the sole beacon of unwavering goodness that spurs Luke's character development in TLJ. In that regard, I'd actually like Rey's character. If she wasn't actually the protagonist, but rather a plot device–the perfect unwavering good to the Emperor's perfect unwavering evil–and another, more flawed, protagonist had to struggle with her perfection, then I'd be fine. But as it is, Rey just "gets it," always, and there's never any room for doubt, thus there's never any dramatic tension with her character.
That's why she's optimistic. We also see this optimism in her unwavering determination to wait for her family to return.
She quite clearly wavers when she excitedly leaves Jaaku, eager to join the Resistance.
Again, she's strong in the light side of the force. TFA and TLJ are evidence of this, and even outright tell the audience through either visual or verbal storytelling.
Look, I'm well aware that she's strong in the light side of the force, but that manifests in the narrative as a distinct lack of character development. Yes, the films are incredibly blatant about her abilities and altruism, but again, this leaves us with a character who doesn't have to struggle with anything, least of all herself. She just floats through the movie being capable of everything that she needs to be at the moment and succeeding every moral conundrum presented to her.
Again, as I said, she sides with BB-8 because she's a light side force user, and because she immediately identifies with his struggle. This is good storytelling. This is also given to the audience when she asks him "where do you come from"; we can use our inferential skills to realize "wow, he's just like she is.. BB-8 also is lost and wants to return to the people who care about him!", via this scene and others.
Yes, that little tidbit is good storytelling, and something that just about every vagrant hero character does. The hero stumbles upon (possibly downtrodden) sidekick, says something that establishes both of their orphaned or lost status, and we all collectively say "aww" to the newfound relationship between two misfits. This is storytelling 101. Unfortunately, whoever wrote the movie didn't stick around for the rest of the class, because when it comes to progressing this character in an arc.

You know what would be interesting? A story where she, a survivor, didn't save BB-8 almost immediately, but had to struggle with her instinctual desire to keep to herself and survive. Hell, I'd be more interested in a film where she didn't save BB-8 at all, but still decided to help the Resistance our of regret for her selfishness and unwillingness to help an innocent droid.
Did you happen to see the climax of TFA? She loses the only father figure she's ever known. Han is the closest to her life goal she's ever been.. to find her family. He gives her, in part, the belonging she seeks. Then guess what? Kylo says "fuck all that, I'm killing the past, I'm letting go of the light (even though this doesn't work). I'm murdering daddy". Rey is crushed.
Yes, Rey reacts, but she doesn't develop. You say that Han's death is crushing, and sure, we get a nice reaction shot from Ridley, but what effect does this have on her? Does she dip into the dark side? Does her insane abilities start to get scary? Does she become dejected? Lose faith, a little? No, she just acts as normal as she always would, and beats Kylo in a sword fight like any good, level-headed Jedi would. Again, no development. If family is such a big deal to her, then I need to see how gaining a father figure and quickly losing him affects her psyche.
much more so than even Luke in ANH with Obi. Why? Because for Rey, Han filled that void.. gave her more purpose than simply waiting around on Jakku. Kylo destroyed that for her. This feeds into her character development in TLJ. At one point in the film, she says "I'd never felt so alone"; she's continually searching for the belonging that Han gave her, in the form of her real parents.
She says that once, but I don't really believe that. For such a lonely, desperate character, she never does anything that's especially lonely or desperate. She barely even keeps looking for her. Even when she has the vision that promises her answers only to deny her anything, she doesn't seem all that phased. This flaw never seems to manifest in emotional struggle.
Kylo even tells the audience this, just in case you missed it. "It's your greatest weakness.. looking for them everywhere, in Han Solo, now Skywalker". Then, because of her naive hope and need to belong, she confides in Ben, after he tells her what happened between him and Luke. Her weakness almost allows her to be killed by Snoke and Kylo, and she ultimately fails to turn him to the light. Because of her weaknesses and flaws.
You say "her weakness," but what weakness other than "general weakness" are you talking about, because no specific weakness makes her weak to Snoke; he's just the big bad. There's nothing to her character (like Luke's impatience in Empire) which makes her fail to resist his power. Same with Kylo; it's not her flaws that prevent her from turning him. Kylo just has another movie to develop. It's not a character flaw that she's incapable of righting every single wrong present in the movie; that's just expected.

Despite being practically a toy to Snoke however, Rey is still incredibly strong-willed. Even after tortured, she's entirely resolute. That is the more important than any slight physical setback, and Rey just has this figured out from the start.
Just like Luke almost failed in ESB by being captured by Vader, but miraculously escapes.
Don't try to reframe that. Luke fucks up big time in Empire. No, he isn't captured (frankly, Vader seemed more intent to convert Luke than to hand him over), but he loses a limb, gets his psyche destroyed by his father, and loses the chance to complete his training. This has big implications on his character going forward. And yeah, he miraculously escapes, but unlike Rey who miraculously succeeds against her problems, Luke only miraculously doesn't die. There's a significant difference there.
We also see Rey get knocked the fuck out, and as a result, Finn almost dies. None of this would have happened if she wouldn't have gotten freaked out by her destiny and ran off, and would have eventually found a way to get back to Jakku to return to waiting for nothing.
So she never really fails that much. That's a lot of what are just setbacks and almosts, not failures.

Look, I harp on this failure thing not because I need a specific kind of failure, but because this kind of failure guarantees character development. I want Rey to change her mind about things or brood over her limitations or meditate on her horrifying power.
You can still effectively utilize the force but develop as a character in other areas. TLJ is all about failure, and Rey's weaknesses causes her two personal failures.. her inability to bring Luke back to Leia, and inability to turn Kylo back to the light.
But within the context of that very film, those aren't failures. Rey still believed in Luke and still believed in Kylo. There was never any doubt there. The only reason she leaves Luke is because she's too altruistic to leave her friends alone. In Luke's case, her perfect goodness helps her succeed on an ever greater level than she was even attempting. She doesn't get Luke to come back with her, she gets him to reconnect with the force in a way that he never had and then save the Resistance.
Again, she saves the resistance in that moment by moving rocks, but her main failure was her inability to bring Kylo back to the light. I personally would have liked to see her struggle more with her feelings of loneliness and hatred for Kylo (that was my headcanon before I saw TLJ), but that is separate from her being overpowered in the force.
But it totally isn't. Part of this issue with her being so overpowered is that she suffers none of the emotional problems endemic to overpowered force users. Look, the prequels are hot trash, but at least I can understand, in theory, Anakin's struggle being space Jesus. If he wasn't so insufferable, that plot would've worked far better. Rey has the opposite problem; she's likable, but doesn't have a distinct enough arc to be engaging for two several hour movies.
I don't think you automatically need to use overconfidence as a weakness for Rey. There are far more interesting avenues to explore that make more sense for her character, like finding her place in both the galaxy and inside of herself. Coming to terms with letting the past go.. untethering herself from Jakku and her need to find her parents. They could have gone much further to drive this point home, IMO, and that is one of my criticisms of TLJ, but again, this doesn't have anything to do with her being a Mary Sue (spoiler: she's not).
Again, the film doesn't need to characterize her any specific way, but should characterize her in some way. "Finding your place in the galaxy and herself" isn't a good arc because that's generally what every hero's journey is about, and it's about that as a result of their other character development. Letting the past go would be a good one if the films ever showed her constantly failing because she can't let the past go. To reiterate, she only fails once because of that and only very shortly and she doesn't have to reframe her stance on the past in order to resolve that conflict. In contrast, Kylo Ren has very visible problems with his past which he actively has to struggle with throughout both films (TLJ just kinda repeats the same arc as the first unfortunately...) and only succeeds by developing his emotions on the matter.

I don't care what word you call it, Mary Sue or not, I think she faces nearly enough problems that she can't overcome without altering her morality. Not once in either films has Rey had to question herself to achieve victory. She just stick to her guns, and it works out, usually better than she ever expected.
There's still more story to tell in EP9. After the timeskip, she will have read the books and will probably return with a new understanding of what the Jedi are supposed to be, and how she will continue and evolve what Luke originally started, post ROTJ
I would love it if she gained any character development in the next film. It would've been nice in the first two parts of the trilogy but better late than never.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

http://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

Richard Nixon
Although there are parallels between Emperor Palpatine and dictators such as Hitler and Napoleon Bonaparte, the direct inspiration for the saga's evil antagonist was actually an American president. According to J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi," when asked if Emperor Palpatine was a Jedi during a 1981 story conference, Lucas responded, "No, he was a politician. Richard M. Nixon was his name. He subverted the senate and finally took over and became an imperial guy and he was really evil. But he pretended to be a really nice guy." In a 2005 interview published in the Chicago Tribune, Lucas said he originally conceived "Star Wars" as a reaction to Nixon's presidency. "It was really about the Vietnam War, and that was the period where Nixon was trying to run for a [second] term, which got me to thinking historically about how do democracies get turned into dictatorships? Because the democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away."

Vietnam War
The guerilla war waged by the Rebel Alliance against the Galactic Empire mirrored the battle between an insurgent force and a global superpower that was playing out in Vietnam as Lucas wrote "Star Wars". The filmmaker, who was originally set to direct to the Vietnam War film "Apocalypse Now" in the early 1970s before moving on to "Star Wars," said in an audio commentary on the 2004 re-release of "Return of the Jedi" that the Viet Cong served as his inspiration for the furry forest-dwelling Ewoks, who were able to defeat a vastly superior opponent in spite of their primitive weapons. As William J. Astore writes in "Star Wars and History," both the Viet Cong and Ewoks were well-served by their "superior knowledge of the local terrain and an ability to blend into that terrain."

Check Mate.

This is why it is fitting and makes perfect sense to model the sequels baddies after modern alt-right Neo Nazis.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are absolutely dead wrong here.

Lucas has point blank said elements of Palpatine are based off Richard Nixon.

He said the prequels had a anti George Bush agenda and had Anakin literally quote George W Bush.

Lucas has explicitly said all this. Lucas has gone ON RECORD that Star Wars deals with modern politics and always had a modern political message (which broadly was always anti-Republican).
For real, Lucas doesn't even TRY to hide the fact that he supports Democratic principles and candidates.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For real, Lucas doesn't hide the fact that he supports Democratic principles and candidates.
Lucas in a interview for ROTS said he explicity made the prequels to have a anti-Bush message and he purposely had Anakin quote George Bush. It wasn't even behind the scenes.

Lucas hits you over the head with how much he hates Republicans from day one in the movies. He is very public about that being a explicit message in the films.

The original film in 1977 was a huge fuck you to a the time modern Nixon Republicans in DC.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll are actually trying Star Wars is a-political. El oh fuckin' el.
I mean how the hell can you watch the films and not see Lucas's blatant (and modern at the time of each film) liberal political message in the films?

I mean by the time we get to ROTS he is having the bad guys quote George Bush word for word. He isn't even trying to be subtle at that point.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, y'all if Lucas directed TLJ, he'd probably spend a third of the film reminding the audience how much of a piece of shit Trump is, regardless of whether it was appropriate for the story.

The idea that a Star Wars isn't political is fucking lunacy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
the question is not about failure, the question is cause and effect.

[...]

the problem with TLJ is that the actions two important character, Poe and Finn has almost Zero cause and affect throuough 80% of the entire movie but were relegated to subplote sidestory status that had nearly no impact of movie the main plot forward or the culmination of the final showdown.
This is such a weird take. It's literally the opposite. Poe/Finn/Rose's failure is precisely what caused the final events to happen.

Remember the codebreaker guy? If they hadn't tried to sneak on Snoke's ship, the codebreaker wouldn't have blabbed about the cloaked transporters retreating to the crystal planet. The First Order had have no idea about Holdo's plan. It was only when the codebreaker sold out that information that they did and then pursued them on the crystal planet, used the big cannon, etc. and culminating in the final showdown with Luke.

No impact? Poe's plan being a massive failure is what caused the impact to be as big as it was.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh??? JJ Abrams has gone on record to state that Kylo Ren is based off modern day alt right Neo Nazis.

[citation needed]

Again, I just think the movie was disappointing.

I never accused it of being purposefully catered for people who are paranoid and racist, but it seems like that would be a feature to you, not a defect.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, y'all if Lucas directed TLJ, he'd probably spend a third of the film reminding the audience how much of a piece of shit Trump is, regardless of whether it was appropriate for the story.

The idea that a Star Wars isn't political is fucking lunacy.
Yeah. Rian and JJ clearly put in an anti-alt right message in the two films so far. Lucas would beat you over the head with any trump stuff ad nausiem.

We are talking about the guy who had Vader/Anakin quote GWB word for word in ROTS lmao.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[citation needed]

Again, I just think the movie was disappointing.

I never accused it of being purposefully catered for people who are paranoid and racist, but it seems like that would be a feature to you, not a defect.
It's a feature because it's ALWAYS been a feature of Star Wars.

AOTC and ROTS overtly had a anti Bush agenda.

A New Hope overtly had a anti Nixon agenda.

Star Wars always always always has had explicit anti-Republican overtones. That's why it's a feature. It's been part of Star Wars since day one.

And TLJ and TFA have an explicit anti-alt right message. Which follows the franchises political DNA.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

It is just not there.

I mean literally the only time he cries is when he sticks his lazer sword in his father and even that is just a bit of tears welling in his eyes.

There is not a single instance of him 'whining' in either film. Not even one.

Luke moaning to his uncle about having to do his chores or having to stay on another season at the farm is literally 'whining'. 'That's not faiiiir' etc etc.

Anakin moaning to obi wan about not being made a Jedi master even though he's allowed to sit on the Jedi council is 'whining'.

These characters were ACTUAL whiners.

Please, let's have an example of kylo 'whining' . I'll wait.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is all written after Extended Universe.
What the hell are you talking about? They quote George Lucas from 1981 saying Palpatine is based off Nixon!

This has to do with the writing of the OT. Not the EU. Wtf are you talking about man.

Not to mention Lucas had Anakin quote Bush in ROTS and admitted in the commentary that was done on purpose. What does that have to do with the EU?

Liljagare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
http://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

Check Mate.

This is why it is fitting and makes perfect sense to model the sequels baddies after modern alt-right Neo Nazis.

None of this makes any sense, the story makes no sense, it just happens to have been written out of the EA, and now, this is EA.

It's still bullshit, and the new villain, is still a big baby whining baby face.

He can't compare to Darth, wrong villain, wrong actor, big baby face.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of this makes any sense, the story makes no sense, it just happens to have been written out of the EA, and now, this is EA.

It's still bullshit, and the new villain, is still a big baby whining baby face.

He can't compare to Darth, wrong villain, wrong actor, big baby face.
You cant just say it doesn't make sense and is written out of the EU. You aren't making ANY sense.

Lucas is quoted POINT BLANK saying he bases the villians on modern day political villians.

Star Wars villians are based on modern politics. Lucas has said so.

And who are todays modern main enemies of America? Alt right racist teenagers with a gun.

Star Wars has been and always was based off the politics of the time for its villians.

Blame society for the rise of the alt right neo Nazis if you don't like Kylo. Not the film.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

That is who Kylo Ren is.

The weird thing is that Ben isn't a teenager. He's a 30 year old man.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I don't get how you can say he is muscat when Adam Driver plays him exactly as intended.

I agree with this but I disagree with what the ST is doing by trying to make you identify with Kylo Ren. I don't want to identify with a man acting like a teenage neo-nazi.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lucas said Dick Cheney was Palpatine, and Bush was Vader

Like, literally. Explicitly.

Cut and Dry.

Hell the writers of Rogue One called the Empire a White Supremacist Organization.

Outright.

How the fuck is this controversial?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me how Lucas stating his basis for Palpatine was Nixon is somehow EU that was "written out".

Haha what the hell? Are people really that bent out of shape that Star Wars has always been about politics of the day?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas said Dick Cheney was Palpatine, and Bush was Vader

Like, literally. Explicitly.

Cut and Dry.

Hell the writers of Rogue One called the Empire a White Supremacist Organization.

Outright.

How the fuck is this controversial?
We have someone saying those quotes not longer count because its "EU".

Haha what the actual fuck.

Quotes directly from Lucas stating who he based characters off of is "EU that no longer counts". Jesus Christ man.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
The weird thing is that Ben isn't a teenager. He's a 30 year old man.
People are going overboard with the gamer gate comparisons.

Kylo is the embodiment of youthful toxic masculinity but he's not actually modeled after some Pepe frog, racist sexist trump supporter. From what we know of him he's not even much interested in politics. He's more obsessing over his personal demons and the people he feels wronged him.

He's not like.....angry about minorities or getting enraged over the 'sjws' or anything. He's just young, angry and privileged.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, those gentlemen on twitter did reveal themselves to be fairly stupid men who probably shouldn't be writing for Star Wars. Palpatine never cared about *skin color.*

By canon, I mean, the Galactic Empire was certainly bigoted against non-Humans. See Wookiee slavery; see lack of alien officers other than Thrawn, see a bazillion other examples which may or may not have survived Disneyification.

(There is of course a reason almost all the extras and bit parts in ANH were British, as well as Vader, Kenobi, Tarkin, and it wasn't just ooh white dudes = scary = nazi. Elstree Studios, amazingly enough, happens to be located...)

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Yes, those gentlemen on twitter did reveal themselves to be fairly stupid men who probably shouldn't be writing for Star Wars. Palpatine never cared about *skin color.*

By canon, I mean, the Galactic Empire was certainly bigoted against non-Humans. See Wookiee slavery; see lack of alien officers other than Thrawn, see a bazillion other examples which may or may not have survived Disneyification.

(There is of course a reason almost all the extras and bit parts in ANH were British, as well as Vader, Kenobi, Tarkin, and it wasn't just ooh white dudes = scary = nazi. Elstree Studios, amazingly enough, happens to be located...)
Yes I mean saying palpatine wasn't prejudiced because of thrawn and a couple others is like saying the Republican Party is inclusive because there's a black man here and there.

In the EU palpatine was most definitely prejudiced towards humans. There's even a bit of heavy exposition where they have to explain how remarkable it is that thrawn rose in the ranks despite his non human status. Of course, that's legends shit but it's not all we have to go by:

have you ever looked on the bridge of a star destroyer In the films? ALL WHITE DUDES. Then look at the rebellion and the resistance , men, women, aliens of all colours. It's pretty clear what the intent was there

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
You think the film wants you to identify with Kylo Ren?... How odd...
In a way I really do. At one time in my life, not even that long ago, I was that same, angry entitled White dude that blamed the rest of the world for my problems. I like to think I've changed and that's what makes kylos arc so compelling for me. I really do see the potential good in him, cause it was in me all along too

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
In a way I really do. At one time in my life, not even that long ago, I was that same, angry entitled White dude that blamed the rest of the world for my problems. I like to think I've changed and that's what makes kylos arc so compelling for me. I really do see the potential good in him, cause it was in me all along too

Hey, and that's fair. I totally get that, and I'm sure plenty of folks have felt the same effects.

I don't think the film is actively asking you to side with Kylo in any way, though. Which is what that poster seems to be suggesting. You come to gain some understanding of how he became the way he is... but there's not one second where the film suggests Kylo might be the one you should be rooting for.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
You think the film wants you to identify with Kylo Ren?... How odd...

Rian explicitly says it:

[
"I think Rey and Kylo are almost like a dual protagonist[.] You identify with Rey, but also you identify with Kylo in a way that you never did with Vader. I know I do. Because if these movies are about adolescence, Kylo is that anger of adolescence and that rejection of the parents, and wanting to screw over your dad; and that's something that all of us, to some degree, can identify with. And the idea of there being a bad guy who you identify with as much as you do the protagonist in some way, that's really interesting."

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I mean saying palpatine wasn't prejudiced because of thrawn and a couple others is like saying the Republican Party is inclusive because there's a black man here and there.

In the EU palpatine was most definitely prejudiced towards humans.

And have you ever looked on the bridge of a star destroyer In the films? ALL WHITE DUDES. Then look at the rebellion and the resistance , men, women, aliens of all colours. It's pretty clear what the intent was there

I mean... I just said Palpatine was prejudiced towards humans. I didn't like those tweets because Gary Whitta et al were making those comments about Earth and different skin tones on us Earthlings rather than the GFFA and different alien species. They had a clear and snide intent with those tweets.

I don't particularly want to argue with you about the GOP, though I'm sure we won't agree on much there either.

As far as the Imperial Fleet; I'd say it's just consistency. They established the look and tone of stuffy British guys in monotone uniforms / armor immediately in ANH. Kind of like how A Mon Calamari Star Cruiser has a bunch of various colored fish dudes wearing shades of beige and white.

Now, if all you were saying is that a bunch of guys lead by a fascist dictator wearing dull uniforms and sending out "stormtroopers" was meant to evoke the Nazis... well, yes, of course they were. Nazis are cartoonishly villainous bad guys, why not evoke them?