• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Currently #4 on the list when sorted by "Rank Change Over 7 Days."

z1QVq3O.png

Nice.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Kotaku/Lifehacker just put up an article on helping to research Covid-19 though Folding@Home, so it's good the word is getting out.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-assist-coronavirus-research-with-folding-home-1842270929

MacRumors put up an article yesterday as well. Unfortunately GPU folding isn't supported natively on macOS and coupled with so many of Apple's products already being a bit shaky in the thermals department I dunno if it's something I'd undertake on any of their notebooks.

But I bet those new Mac Pros can crank out some work units, boy howdy.

Well, under Windows or Linux anyway.

Last edited:

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any links to examples of how folding has had real word ramifications?

A lot of my friends do it who are into hardware building. I am sure it is a great cause, but just like researching charities, I want to be sure. Thanks!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I want to help, but I can't leave my PC on all day. Is it ok to turn it in only when I use my PC? Or is it not enough for anything meaningful?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Guys, I want to help, but I can't leave my PC on all day. Is it ok to turn it in only when I use my PC? Or is it not enough for anything meaningful?

How long are we talking? If it's about eight hours or more I think you're probably okay but it's less than a few hours a day it might not be worthwhile.

You're typically given decently long deadlines for work units. For instance, my current project was assigned today, but isn't due until the 22nd, so I as long as I get it done by then I should get credit.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Does anyone have info on the stress the Full mode puts on the cpu or the gpu? I want my 2080 ti and 8700k machine to contribute as much as possible, but I don't want to shorten my computers lifespan.
Running a 2070 Super and 3700X and my CPU at full load was running 160F-179F and GPU was running 130F-140F. I let it run for two hours like that and it definitely was warm where my computer was. I took off my glass panel on my case just to allow extra air flow. I'll probably just let it run on GPU resources because at full load it's only running my CPU temps up to 135F-145F with spikes to 155F on occasion.

Edit: 3800X excuse me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
Running a 2070 Super and 3700X and my CPU at full load was running 160F-179F and GPU was running 130F-140F. I let it run for two hours like that and it definitely was warm where my computer was. I took off my glass panel on my case just to allow extra air flow. I'll probably just let it run on GPU resources because at full load it's only running my CPU temps up to 135F-145F with spikes to 155F on occasion.
Thanks for the detailed temps. Appreciate it :) Gotta monitor mine the next time I let it run.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I've joined the cause. Gonna see if I can do some folding while the PC is just being used for browsing, streaming etc.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I'm not listed on the team's page yet, but I'm in. Thanks a ton for the thread. Happy to help a cause like this.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
We broke the chart for a second there. The number was outside of the range of what was plottable and the line pointed straight down.

production_hour.php

This is our highest hourly rate yet though.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Just joined, it's been a while since I've folded anything. Maybe it will take the edge off of this cold room at night. If only I had a Vega to spew heat instead of this RX 580...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like my computer is going to explode on medium, but I'm going to go find a parking spot so LET'S CRANK IT TO FULL!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Anyone have an idea on the wear-and-tear this has on GPU/CPUs? As I mentioned earlier, I stopped it from running on my CPU because of the temps were pushing above 160 at the upper limit. My GPU is currently running 115F-135F. Just want to know it's not going to ruin it in a months time.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have an idea on the wear-and-tear this has on GPU/CPUs? As I mentioned earlier, I stopped it from running on my CPU because of the temps were pushing above 160 at the upper limit. My GPU is currently running 115F-135F. Just want to know it's not going to ruin it in a months time.
135F is 57C. That's really, really cool, if not idle for a desktop class gpu. If it was 135C, you're blowing something up, lol.
165F is 73C, that's towards the hotter side for a cpu but not anything super serious (85C-95C+).

My 1080 Ti is running at 71 C (just fine) with a 899mv undervolt, and my 4770k 4.1GHz CPU ranges from 75C-88C (a bit hot).

For anyone concerned about their GPU heat output, this might be a good video introduction to undervolting:

As for wear and tear, most GPUs are rated to do a lot of 24/7 work for at least the usual 3-5 year business turnaround time at stock/reference voltages. A few years back, I put at least 2,200+ hours on a GTX Titan Black for a rendering project, and that's not even counting the hundreds of hours extra I spent on gaming during that time. If you have a "gaming" pc that's already well ventilated and has a 80+ bronze certified psu, you're more than fine.

If you are using a well worn gaming laptop (or general laptop), I'd be concerned about the battery+power brick and overall mobo power delivery if its over 3 years old or something, rather than the cpu+gpu independently.

If you spend the next 3+ months straight rendering 24/7, that's a different story.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
135F is 57C. That's really, really cool, if not idle for a desktop class gpu. If it was 135C, you're blowing something up, lol.
165F is 73C, that's towards the hotter side for a cpu but not anything super serious (85C-95C+).

My 1080 Ti is running at 71 C (just fine) with a 899mv undervolt, and my 4770k 4.1GHz CPU ranges from 75C-88C (a bit hot).

For anyone concerned about their GPU heat output, this might be a good video introduction to undervolting:

As for wear and tear, most GPUs are rated to do a lot of 24/7 work for at least the usual 3-5 year business turnaround time at stock/reference voltages. A few years back, I put like 2,200+ hours on a GTX Titan Black for a rendering project, and that's not even counting the hundreds of hours extra I spent on gaming during that time. If you have a "gaming" pc that's already well ventilated, you're fine.

If you are using a well worn gaming laptop (or general laptop), I'd be concerned about the battery+power brick and overall mobo power delivery if its like over 3 years old or something, rather than the cpu+gpu independently.

If you spend the next 3+ months straight rendering 24/7, that's a different story.

Thanks for the reply, I have a case that is quite a tight squeeze for my GPU and thermal output but I can take off the front glass panel to help with the heat dissipation. I'll try and use it when I'm at work or before bed, but I will not be having it running 24/7.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How am I only just see this?! Definitely going to download it and put my 1070 + Ryzen to good use.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how the base vs. estimated credit works? It's got something to do with how fast it's completed, right? I submitted a WU with an estimate of ~45k but it's only crediting the base right now. If it makes a difference, I paused right after it submitted and the next WU was started so I could play a game on my PC. It was also my first WU on this account. I'm still happy the coronavirus simulations are being done, but I want points for the team dammit :p

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Anyone know how the base vs. estimated credit works? It's got something to do with how fast it's completed, right? I submitted a WU with an estimate of ~45k but it's only crediting the base right now. If it makes a difference, I paused right after it submitted and the next WU was started so I could play a game on my PC. It was also my first WU on this account. I'm still happy the coronavirus simulations are being done, but I want points for the team dammit :p

Not gonna lie...it is all a bit confusing and not particularly well documented. This explains some of it: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/

Once you submit your first 10 WU's there is a definite uptick in points earned as you start getting bonus points & QRB (Quick return bonus) which are a lot - if you are signed in with a passkey the web interface already adds on the bonus points & QRB (even when they are not yet active or earn-able).

Basically until you complete your first 10 WU's it will not look like you are getting as much as it states (because you will only get the base amount despite what the web interface might say) but after 10 WU it starts to increase a lot. For example I jumped from 70k -ish to nearly 300k very quickly when the bonus & QRB started to kick in.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
My GPU is stuck on download. It keeps attempting, but the download doesn't start. Anyone got any info on this? A google search didn't help.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
My GPU is stuck on download. It keeps attempting, but the download doesn't start. Anyone got any info on this? A google search didn't help.

Not just you. I was having issues this morning downloading a new WU, I reckon their servers are being hammered, it keeps pinging the IP but says it keeps failing to connect in the logs.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Not just you. I was having issues this morning downloading a new WU, I reckon their servers are being hammered, it keeps pinging the IP but says it keeps failing to connect in the logs.

Yep, same here :/

Time to smoke this Devil's Canyon.

EDIT: GPU is GO.

I'm contributing to
Project 11748

CORONAVIRUS PROJECT

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19 causing virus) protease in complex with an inhibitor
Further description coming shortly once we've dealt with the workload of getting these projects out, thanks for your patience!

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I was also having problems getting a project assigned to my GPU but then ended up with a SARS-CoV-2 one!

SchLosSraTTe

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow web control dosen't work for me anymore. It just reloads all the time. Advanced control works just fine. Someone knows what the problem could be?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to know how those new 64-core Ryzen Threadrippers work for Folding@Home, assuming the software is even equipped to recognize that many cores.

CPUs are always pretty bad at folding. Not only do they lack the sheer number of ALUs per dollar as the GPUs, the 3990X doesn't have the memory bandwidth to keep them fed cause it's a quad core memory architecture unlike the 8 channel EPYC servers. My 1080 Ti has 5 times the bandwidth of a quad channel 3200MHz setup. Even though the 3990X should be capable of >7 TFLOPs, because of the memory bandwidth limitation Linpack benches them at around 1.7 TFLOPs.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie...it is all a bit confusing and not particularly well documented. This explains some of it: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/

Once you submit your first 10 WU's there is a definite uptick in points earned as you start getting bonus points & QRB (Quick return bonus) which are a lot - if you are signed in with a passkey the web interface already adds on the bonus points & QRB (even when they are not yet active or earn-able).

Basically until you complete your first 10 WU's it will not look like you are getting as much as it states (because you will only get the base amount despite what the web interface might say) but after 10 WU it starts to increase a lot. For example I jumped from 70k -ish to nearly 300k very quickly when the bonus & QRB started to kick in.
Ah that makes sense. I vaguely remember a start-up period many years back when I ran F@H on PS3 and an old PC, but I don't think I was projected to get many bonus points because of the old hardware so I didn't pay much attention. I'll just let it chug along.

Interestingly, if the FAQ is up to date, the basis for all points payouts is a comparison between how quickly a machine can compute in relation to an i5 750. Even GPUs get compared to it. Seems a little funny to have the benchmark be static over 11 years, but moving the goalposts to more modern hardware might discourage people from running with older hardware that can still contribute.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I have some free VMs handy and now have 24 CPUs pointed at FAH, running 24/7. Don't have any GPUs, but hey I'm trying.

Don't see any options to point it specifically at COVID-19 in the web interface... Does anyone have an example config.xml of a FAH Client that's pointed at the right project?

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have some free VMs handy and now have 24 CPUs pointed at FAH, running 24/7. Don't have any GPUs, but hey I'm trying.

Don't see any options to point it specifically at COVID-19 in the web interface...

Neat, and don't feel bad, because all I have are CPUs running as well. (7 of various ages, assuming I can count correctly.)

Just set it to "Any" and it'll COVID-19 work units will eventually pop up. Right now they're mostly targeted at GPU users but supposedly CPU work units are coming down the pipeline.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I just signed up, and one of the projects running is only utilizing about 3% of the capacity of the GPU, is this common? Or something I can fix?

It's a vega 64 on Windows 10.

The CPU is running full out though.