• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well whether it's true or not I doubt we'll really know for sure until well after Aquaman is out. Wouldn't want to risk a loss of ticket sales from fans who are invested in the larger universe.

And while I read the word "confirm" in its many variations at least 3 times in the op, I fail to actually see any legitimate confirmation anywhere. Do you know how that word works?

In any case, I hope it's true. Never gelled with this meathead Batman and ineffectual Superman.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The worst part is both really were solid in their roles (cavill got stuck with a shitty snyder murdering psychopath version of SM so thats not really his fault). Please tell me that at this point theyre going to reboot this shit universe.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
What a shame, also what a mess has this been, ever since Man of Steel came out the DCEU has been on a downward spiral towards failure.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Literally the only thing that might save the character atm in the eyes of audiences.

Launch a Batman Beyond franchise with Bale reprising Wayne. Or do a TDKReturns style film with Phoenix stepping into Nolan's universe.

This would almost completely save DC right now but Nolan would never do it. Bale might.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its totally irrelevant who they replace them with.

Get in some good screenwriters and directors and stop studio interference.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
What a shitshow this has been ever since BvS.

Just go with a Wonder Woman trilogy, and start the whole thing again in 4-5 years.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely sad for both these actors the same way I'm sad for Andrew Garfield for being the Spider-man stuck in the worst Spider-man movies.

Yup, it's a very similar situation. All three of them could have been excellent in the roles but were never given a chance by the idiots driving the ship.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
This whole universe is shwarbage.

Time to Batman Beyond this shit. I've waited long enough.

The more I think about it, a Batman Beyond type thing with Christian Bale would be fucking huge even if Nolan wasn't involved. I know that Bale would do it if Nolan signed up, but getting Nolan onboard will be nearly impossible. But that really is the best way to do another attempt at the DCEU down the road, maybe in 5-10 years.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's too bad Margot and Gadot won over the audiences, or this would have been a great time to reboot completely after Aquabro flops

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Finally people can stop pretending that BvS, Man if Steel or Justice League are masterpieces. Snyder singlehandedly brought DCEU down. Imagine a world where Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman are being beaten by Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally people can stop pretending that BvS, Man if Steel or Justice League are masterpieces. Snyder singlehandedly brought DCEU down. Imagine a world where Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman are being beaten by Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

And the Guardians.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Cavill could have been fine with a good script. Batfleck was solid as a performance in BvS (aside from Snyder's decision to make him wantonly murdering everyone in his path), but Justice League being a goddamn mess and all of Affleck's personal problems just fucked it all up. Cavill ironically is the only one who came out looking like someone I wanted to see more of, even with MustacheGate.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
giphy.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it was the actors fault that the films were so poorly received!

WB just think they can emulate the success of the MCU without putting in the effort. Marvel made 5 films before teaming their heroes up for the first time.

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the Cavill recast? We've known they aren't doing a MoS sequel. Thread title is intentionally misleading. But hey I guess you wanted people posting in your thread?

Not speaking for Zatt here, but it seems the unofficial plan from WB is to just not make anything for Cavill to appear in as Supes and run out his contract before bothering to recast him. In the case of The Batman though, Reeves is set to start filming that in the spring and it's been reported repeatedly among the trades that he was looking for a younger actor to star as his new Batman.

There's no "Recasting Cavill" because WB literally is in no rush to bother with him. Their whole plan is forcing Cavill out quietly by running out the clock and then start from the ground up again with Supes in a few years' time.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Whatever they do next, we need a young Superman and Batman. 25-27, somewhere in there.They could also focus on establishing the legacy characters for a change as well, no reason we can't get Robin or Kid Flash down the line, and seeing Robin gradually become Nightwing or Wally replace Barry would be awesome

I've always thought DC's secret sauce was their legacy characters

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DC are idiots. Henry is the best Superman since Christopher Reeve and his talent has been completely wasted on terrible movies. They should have been finding new writers/directors, NOT new actors.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
takes a special type of incompetence to fuck up superman and batman in the golden age of superhero movies. kudos WB.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Not speaking for Zatt here, but it seems the unofficial plan from WB is to just not make anything for Cavill to appear in as Supes and run out his contract before bothering to recast him. In the case of The Batman though, Reeves is set to start filming that in the spring and it's been reported repeatedly among the trades that he was looking for a younger actor to star as his new Batman.

There's no "Recasting Cavill" because WB literally is in no rush to bother with him. Their whole plan is forcing Cavill out quietly by running out the clock and then start from the ground up again with Supes in a few years' time.

And that would be fine to say, there's nothing confirmed about it though, which is my main issue with the thread title and OP. It's ridiculously click-baity and ERA has higher standards than this.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Whatever they do next, we need a young Superman and Batman. 25-27, somewhere in there.They could also focus on establishing the legacy characters for a change as well, no reason we can't get Robin or Kid Flash down the line, and seeing Robin gradually become Nightwing or Wally replace Barry would be awesome

I've always thought DC's secret sauce was their legacy characters

Agreed.

I don't even think it's about running Cavill's contract, it's more about that the DCEU has failed and they are figuring out how to move forward. I like Cavill as much as the new Superman fan out there, it's just that time is cruel and I don't see this universe "surviving" as it is. I don't think WW1984 will be bad, I think it'll be astonishing and will have other sequel, but I don't see Gadot getting to be the missing link between these movies and the "DC Rebirth" phase. At this point, just "Crisis on Infinite Earths" the whole thing and start fresh.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
They cannot just immediately start over, but I would not be shocked if they reworked the next few films into stand alone releases.

Such a shame this all turned out the way it did, especially as the majority of the DC animated films have been pretty good all this time too.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Synder balls-up'd the entire Universe.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that would suck but I'll wait for a confirmation from WB.

The closest thing to a "confirmation" you'll get anytime soon from WB is a press announcement next year of who the new Batman actor will be.

An official confirmation that Cavill is out- as in a press release from WB themselves- won't ever come. At most, they'll announce the new actor in like 3-4 years time, but won't comment at all on Cavill.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The BvS / Justice League disaster is a blessing in disguise if it leads to Gunn having dominion over the properties moving forward.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The closest thing to a "confirmation" you'll get anytime soon from WB is a press announcement next year of who the new Batman actor will be.
Well yeah, that's basically what I mean.

Same with Cavill. WB and DC change their minds about everything all the time. Sure, I believe that right now, they have zero plans to use him ever again. But maybe 6 months for now they'll greenlight a Krypto trilogy with him as a guest star. Who the fuck can predict their moves. So unless we get a press release, my official response will always be "eh".

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cavill looked the part in stills, but he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. He just never carried the decency of Superman - even his smiling looked awkward. Affleck was good, but they're better off recasting him.

None of it matters though if the scripts and directors are trash (like they've been so far.) Give me Aronofsky's Superman. You can't beat Marvel at their own game, but you can sure as hell make better films.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah, it was the actors fault that the films were so poorly received!

WB just think they can emulate the success of the MCU without putting in the effort. Marvel made 5 films before teaming their heroes up for the first time.
It doesn't matter how many movies come before a team-up if you fundamentally don't understand or care who the characters are. Snyder doesn't understand Superman, or is outright disinterested in him judging by how both BvS and MoS seemingly don't show any desire to explore him as a person. His perspective, his wants, his reasonings... the movies have plenty to say about him, but seemingly never from his own mouth.

There is plenty of merit to Batman standing in for humanity's anger in the face of an all-powerful alien. Less so when him outright murdering goons is never challenged, his personal history and supposed descent is barely explored, and every time he kills someone just feels so distasteful. But by Justice League, he feels like a fundamentally different person. Not someone who is redeemed, but just a completely different guy who they try to make all charming and jokey.

WW atleast got a movie where she felt like a superhero.

There is no shortage of ensemble films with a half-dozen central characters. Hell, Aquaman, Flash, and even Cyborg are barely above ''supporting" roles. But when they are so shoddily written, they could have a dozen movies before Justice League and it wouldn't matter. Because there was no true vision over this universe, and the one who was supposedly kick-starting it all was the same guy who said his Batman movie would include Bruce getting raped in prison, and thought superheroes were shit because nobody was fucking or killing each other.

Last edited:

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? Fuck suicide squad just give batman to Gunn. He should be at the helm of one of the greatest comic book characters and bring him to life like nobody has. Give me some batman Animated series vibes and bring Dave Bautista as Bane.

FQHt8qi.jpg
Y'all are so weird lmfao.

What makes any of you think dude is capable of delivering a decent Batman flick or spearheading a new DC universe? Almost everything he's touched ended up as quirky action comedies.

He (mostly) succeeds telling stories about weird misfits and that's his lane. SS2 will probably be good with him at the helm, but let's not forget before he did Guardians he did Slither and Super which where not as strong. Doubt he could tell a straight faced dramatic or romantic story without a cum joke to save his life, mans cynical heart beats in everything he has a hand in lmao.