• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
And to think this entire mess could have been avoided if they hadn't started filming Justice League as BvS came out. Even a few months to make some changes and course correct would have resulted in a much better and more cohesive final product.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Justice League in full for the first time the other day and I came away a bit more surprised about it than I expected despite how so much of the writing felt like an awkward attempt at exiting the franchise's own comfort zone (and a headache-inducing disaster of a third act with all of the hideous CG). It's far from a good movie but the second part of the movie where Superman actually acts like Superman made me actually think for the first time that "hey, maybe Cavill actually kind of sort of works in this role".

Too bad the well is irrevocably poisoned and that the actors won't get a chance to shine with a better director. Affleck in particular is a pretty big loss.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Shame, both did pretty well with what they had to work with. I don't like the idea the studio blame the actors / re-cast as if that solves the problem that the "runners" are creatively bankrupt and lack a consistent vision.

If they had got the right writers / director, and made DKR with Affleck and Cavill rather than what we got, it might have worked.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they were greedy. There was no need to do BVS or JL so soon. It would have been perfectly acceptable to have solo Batman, Wonderwoman, Aquaman movie before doing Justice league.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Please be more sensitive, guys.

Warners may need to soft reboot a lot of the DCU after middling results but please spare a thought for cinematic universes that never made it that far.

Pouring one out for the Dark Universe and the tens of millions that Universal lost on The Mummy never mind investing millions in a slate that will never be.

Fun fact, that picture was put together so quickly by a panicked Universal, in the face of the Mummy's soft tracking numbers, they had to take pictures of the actors and then photoshop them all into place to make it look they are all sitting together. Bless.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They'll definitely have a filmmaker in mind to reboot Superman (casting a new Clark and a new Lois) but they aren't moving on it at the moment because they'll let Reeves do his thing with Batman and then plan accordingly.

There's no way WB have a white board somewhere on the studio lot with Superman written on it and a thin layer of dust on it. He's one of the cornerstones of the DCU and he's even front and centre of the animated DC films logo that plays before the films.
I'm mostly talking about a Cavill movie or a man of steel sequel.

Feels like Cavill wanted to do a man of steel sequel, but WB just wanted him to keep showing up for cameos and team up movies etc. So he walked.

I'm not saying WB will never do a superman movie again, but certainly feels like it's been kicked into the long grass. Superman is being punished for Snyder's sins.

Kinda odd that even though he's such an iconic character, he's never had a solid run in movies. The Christopher Reeve movies lost their way, and all other versions have been failures to some extent.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm mostly talking about a Cavill movie or a man of steel sequel.

Feels like Cavill wanted to do a man of steel sequel, but WB just wanted him to keep showing up for cameos and team up movies etc. So he walked.

I'm not saying WB will never do a superman movie again, but certainly feels like it's been kicked into the long grass. Superman is being punished for Snyder's sins.

Kinda odd that even though he's such an iconic character, he's never had a solid run in movies. The Christopher Reeve movies lost their way, and all other versions have been failures to some extent.

I've read all these rumours and conspiracy theories but I feel like it's much simpler than that. Justice League being beaten at the box office by Thor 3 was a sore one for WB and the DCU as a whole to take. There was no guarantee that a second solo Superman starring Cavill would have done any better than Justice League never mind Ragnarok so WB just decided to start again. Between the box office and the moustache memes I think Warners saw this as a battle that had already been fought and lost.

Superman is an iconic figure and a major IP that the studio has still to get right and they couldn't have it run second to a Marvel sequel. With a new Batman film in 2020 I'd say that we'll see a new Superman a year or two after that. I can almost guarantee you that WB already have at least one big name director in mind for this new Superman film.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please be more sensitive, guys.

Warners may need to soft reboot a lot of the DCU after middling results but please spare a thought for cinematic universes that never made it that far.

Pouring one out for the Dark Universe and the tens of millions that Universal lost on The Mummy never mind investing millions in a slate that will never be.

Fun fact, that picture was put together so quickly by a panicked Universal, in the face of the Mummy's soft tracking numbers, they had to take pictures of the actors and then photoshop them all into place to make it look they are all sitting together. Bless.

I didn't even know this existed. Amazing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Shame Snyder screwed the pooch so badly, but it's never too late to rebuild and make a proper World's Finest.

WW84, Shazam, Gunn rebooted SS, Aquaman is such a solid line up you could totally build on that. Reeves Batman and a hopeful Superman made by a competent director will be massive hits - it'll just take a while I guess.

I do find the delusion amongst some of the stans funny, though - they chastised so many people for believing "anything negative about DCEU". I wonder if Variety is a good enough source for them to finally accept it.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ben Affleck needs to get his shit together as a human being first. He was starting resemble his character from that Superman movie he did. Sloppy ass drunk.

This is good, no one wants a geriatric/angry Batman.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Finally people can stop pretending that BvS, Man if Steel or Justice League are masterpieces. Snyder singlehandedly brought DCEU down. Imagine a world where Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman are being beaten by Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.
Who is pretending BvS, Man of Steel and Justice League are masterpieces? Surely nobody is that desperate to justify the DCEU?

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
Chances are that Aquaman will be horrible. They should have pulled the plug on everything except WW long ago.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The only good part of this is looking back at the weird corporate DCEU stans when they whine about posters who post in this thread when it pops up every 3 months. "How could anyone believe that source!" "Era hates DCEU so they just believe anything!"

Shame Snyder screwed the pooch so badly, but it's never too late to rebuild and make a proper World's Finest. WW84, Shazam, Gunn rebooted SS, Aquaman is such a solid line up you could totally build on that. Reeves Batman and a hopeful Superman made by a competent director will be massive hits - it'll just take a while I guess.
In fairness I remember there was like a single rumor that Wonder Woman was a disaster behind the scenes and people ran that into the ground until the movie released and ended up being well received. So I can understand how some fans might be a little skeptical of leaks.

I do agree that the upcoming slate seems promising and should be more than enough to build off of if those movies do well. There doesn't need to be a hard reboot to make the universe work, just ignore the things that didn't work and build off the things that did.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Justice League is so infuriating. They had so many great actors, resources, and fantastic OST. And it ended up being a crappy CGI fest that felt rushed.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In fairness I remember there was like a single rumor that Wonder Woman was a disaster behind the scenes and people ran with that until the movie released and ended up being well received. So I can understand how some fans might be a little skeptical of leaks.

I do agree that the upcoming slate seems promising and should be more than enough to build off of if those movies do well. There doesn't need to be a hard reboot to make the universe work, just ignore the things that didn't work and build off the things that did.

I edited my post a bit but the sentiment is the same.

I think as long as you are a DC fan and not a Snyder fan the future is looking very bright. You're right in that there's no need for a hard reboot - things are already shaping up really well.

It is also important to be skeptical of leaks, but the tribalism and toxicity need to be called out.

I doubt it will be terrible but if it is being terrible hasn't done Venom any harm.

Wan is damn near batting 1000, I don't think Aquaman gets below 88% RT. Having said that, Venom has a brand recognition from the 90s that carried the film's BO.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So no standalone Batman film in this iteration of the DCEU?

We're going straight from the Dark Knight Rises back in 2012 to whatever future Batman film they do with a new Batman probably in the 2020s?

Pretty much a decade? Incredible.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Why not do something really different?

Put live action Batman back on TV and take him off the Big Screen for a while? Have him pop up in Titans and the CW shows etc, same with Supes etc seeing as he is on the show, and of course his own

Leave the movies for these other characters like Joker, Suicide Squad, Aqua Man and Wonder Woman, Harley, Birds of Prey etc

Then in a few years after a Cinematic break say 5-10yrs, bring Batman back to the bigscreen, without a reboot once again, make it Batman of the Future or one of the other Non Bruce Wayne's Batman, book cook up some Movie Arcs properly first if the feel they MUST have that Cinematic Universe, but not rushed.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
You'd think this sort of thing would be easy but every other attempt at a cinematic universe has thus far failed miserably.

The Conjuring cineverse has been a huge success and while the DCU hasn't hit the heights of the MCU it has done well enough to get this far. As far as I'm aware even the DCU's least successful film, Justice League, still broke even once everything was said and done.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Conjuring cineverse has been a huge success and while the DCU hasn't hit the heights of the MCU it has done well enough to get this far. As far as I'm aware even the DCU's least successful film, Justice League, still broke even once everything was said and done.
Yeah but you're not trying to just break even with an avengers type movie

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that Flash movie ain't happening either.

Finally people can stop pretending that BvS, Man if Steel or Justice League are masterpieces. Snyder singlehandedly brought DCEU down. Imagine a world where Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman are being beaten by Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.
Who's pretending that?

What people need to stop pretending though is that Batfleck i.e. Murderman was any good.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that Flash movie ain't happening either.

Who's pretending that?

What people need to stop pretending though is that Batfleck i.e. Murderman was any good.
Meh, lot of people actually
Batman had to be shit because he wasn't setup before BvS. Had to have enough reason for superman to hate him.

Polaroid_64

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will be terrible but if it is being terrible hasn't done Venom any harm.

I edited my post a bit but the sentiment is the same.

I think as long as you are a DC fan and not a Snyder fan the future is looking very bright. You're right in that there's no need for a hard reboot - things are already shaping up really well.

It is also important to be skeptical of leaks, but the tribalism and toxicity need to be called out.

Wan is damn near batting 1000, I don't think Aquaman gets below 88% RT. Having said that, Venom has a brand recognition from the 90s that carried the film's BO.

My bad, well hopefully that will be good then. I didn't recognize that director. Will have to check his stuff out.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last month, Affleck met with Warner Bros. They checked his health and rumors said there was an offer for new Batfleck role. Now... He goes to the gym for two hours a day, like his BvS times.

And Affleck's current shape,

C1DkdHb.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So in this mess only WW has remained standing.

I wonder if Nolan would ever direct Batman movies again. He really is the best thing to happen to Batsy.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of Cavill is a mistake. I feel for Affleck too. He messed up DareDevil and Batman. Still his Batman was bad to me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This the wrong solution. They hitched their wagons on Zach Snyder. What did they expect?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Last month, Affleck meet with Warner Bros. They checked his health and rumors said there was an offer for new Batfleck role.

And now... Affleck's current shape.

The operative word being rumour.

Affleck has an overall deal with WB that expands well beyond Batman. Up next for him are the basketball drama Torrance (formerly The Has Been rumoured for a Dec 2019 release) and a sequel to The Accountant. Both of those projects are starring vehicles, I imagine that he'll be looking for his next directing vehicle at some point too.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My bad, well hopefully that will be good then. I didn't recognize that director. Will have to check his stuff out.

He did Furious 7, The Conjuring 1 & 2 which shows off both his action chops and atmospheric directorial decisions.

Aquaman has a bit of that globe trotting adventure vibe + comic book action and I think Wan will totally nail it.