• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's amazing how caville can take a fairly understandable point and say it in as awful a way as possible, adding like ten layers of implications in the process.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Cavill has been known to be a desperate piece of shit in the past though. I guess the chase means something different to him.

On diversity in Hollywood he had this to say last year.

Nice attempt to run down the problem, Henry. Let's hear more of your thoughts on increasing diversity from last year.

Look. The guys just "asking questions" ok? That's definitely not a curious statement to make. But wait there's more on his views about catcalling:

Uhhhh. And then he kicks the ball ten miles wide with the follow up:

Okay, fuck off Cavill. You're a cheap Jon Hamm replacement and the world can do better than booking your chauvinism in the future.
Wtf? Other than the imgur post, these all sound fine.

"Don't say inappropriate things that may upset my gf!"

"fuck off Cavill!"

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he used a clumsy choice of words but I can see where he is coming from.

He could have the purest intentions in the world but that doesn't stop someone from making some shit up about him or embellishing events.

You're naive if you think people have no reason to be worried, so long as they are decent guys, after what happened to Aziz Ansari.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cavill has been known to be a desperate piece of shit in the past though. I guess the chase means something different to him.

On diversity in Hollywood he had this to say last year.

I mean, this is precisely the thing I was talking about. This reads exactly like a Facebook post a girl made about a friend of mine after he rejected her at a bar. I was with him the entire night. It may be true, it may be false, but in the case of my friend people knew she was full of shit. If it happens to a celebrity, true or false, some people will believe it.

I mean, if you want evidence of why Hollywood dates Hollywood look at this thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ch...-agents-of-shield-is-dating-logan-paul.54853/

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
It's amazing how caville can take a fairly understandable point and say it in as awful a way as possible, adding like ten layers of implications in the process.

It's funny given this earlier line in the article,

"It's better to step away," says Cavill when asked whether he reads his own interviews. "A lot of stuff, in the written word, sounds very different from the intention."

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Rather than learning about consent, boundaries, and not enabling corrupt sexual abuse he gets to THIS conclusion from #MeToo? Yep, sounds about right for a Hollywood guy.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
"magine being a woman--perhaps one who has suffered sexual harassment or assault--coming into these threads, and seeing all these posts about false rape accusations and lying women. It tells me, "I don't believe women." It tells me, "I believe all women are spiteful enough to falsely accuse a man of rape over the smallest insult." It tells me, "I have no empathy for women." It hurts, it does, and it's part of what drove so many women away from GAF, near the end."

This is literally my experience in every thread like this. Fucking gross that in every thread about rape or sexual assault dudes have to remind everyone how important it is that a VERY small minority of rape accusations are false! I don't even bother asking posters to be sensitive about it, or tell them that I've been sexually abused and raped because it's just ignored or hand waved and they go back to their tunnel vision narratives about lying women and "men have problems too!"

You would think after #MeToo they would realize just how rape and sex assault is, But nope, gotta make it about them evil lying women.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This story has so many layers to it that it's actually sort of fascinating.

But it's a really odd statement to make, is he expecting a wave of 'Hang in there, buddy, you're doing great' comments?

Custard

Alt Account
Banned
May 10, 2018
"magine being a woman--perhaps one who has suffered sexual harassment or assault--coming into these threads, and seeing all these posts about false rape accusations and lying women. It tells me, "I don't believe women." It tells me, "I believe all women are spiteful enough to falsely accuse a man of rape over the smallest insult." It tells me, "I have no empathy for women." It hurts, it does, and it's part of what drove so many women away from GAF, near the end."

This is literally my experience in every thread like this. Fucking gross that in every thread about rape or sexual assault dudes have to remind everyone how important it is that a VERY small minority of rape accusations are false! I don't even bother asking posters to be sensitive about it, or tell them that I've been sexually abused and raped because it's just ignored or hand waved and they go back to their tunnel vision narratives about lying women and "men have problems too!"

You would think after #MeToo they would realize just how rape and sex assault is, But nope, gotta make it about them evil lying women.

Good post but we all know what kind of males think like this, the ones that have probably never spoken to a female in the real world and cannot fathom the seriousness of rape and assault.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
What a way of telling the public that he doesn't believe in women who have shared their harassment and rape stories because they're obviously false and that he thinks women are for some reason out to shame him with fake rape stories.
Because obviously the men in Hollywood who got burned by harassment stories weren't the problem. It's the victims that were the problem.

Shittiest superman confirmed. Send him back to fucking planet Krypton or something.

OP
OP

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Good post but we all know what kind of males think like this, the ones that have probably never spoken to a female in the real world and cannot fathom the seriousness of rape and assault.
Or the ones that are around women every day and are and have been in relationships...the problem isn't not being exposed to the real world; it's apathy. They don't give a fuck.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
9879.jpg

I wish I could just re-post this image over and over for half of the replies in this thread.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm reaaaaally trying to understand him here. Best case scenario id like to think in my head he was thinking something like 'because I'm in the public eye, if I go and flirt with someone and they happen to not like it or go to the press, the press will make a massive deal of it and i could inadvertently get pulled into the valid movement against abuses of power thats going on when all I wanted was consensual sex and a date as a single guy and my flirting got miscontrued'.

But no matter how many times I read his statement, it's an absolute fucking trainwreck and insulting to all the stories that have come out. Rape? Dude what the hell are you saying, stop talking

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
How the fuck you go from talking to someone to an rape accusation? Just dont touch people when they don't wanna be touched. Don't pursue people that don't want to be bothered. Fuck man.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Or the ones that are around women every day and are and have been in relationships...the problem isn't not being exposed to the real world; it's apathy. They don't give a fuck.
Yeah. Incel types are certainly a problem, but on a wider note it's just certain men who lack the ability to empathize with women. They don't even try to understand the female point of view, and all that's left to express is just the fear they'll be labeled a creep or rapist.

It takes valuable time away from discussing real issues surrounding consent, safe sex, etc and replaces it with bizarre hypotheticals which very rarely happen at all. The odds a woman will experience rape or sex assault during her life is a lot higher than the odds a man will experience a false rape accusation. Yet so much discussion is forced to surround that point. I'm beyond being frustrated. I'm just depressed about it.

There are a very large chunk of posters that are on the right side of things and it is heartening to see that. FWIW I appreciate what this forum aims to be, and a lot of the posters in it. It's just having to see the same points brought up predictably are tiring

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm reaaaaally trying to understand him here. Best case scenario id like to think in my head he was thinking something like 'because I'm in the public eye, if I go and flirt with someone and they happen to not like it or go to the press, the press will make a massive deal of it and i could inadvertently get pulled into the valid movement against abuses of power thats going on when all I wanted was consensual sex and a date as a single guy and my flirting got miscontrued'.

I think that's exactly what he's saying given the rest of the interview cut out of the OP but...

Oof.

Even my most drunken ramblings were more coherent than this. It sounds like he's dismissing all other accusations and downplaying harrasment. I don't think he meant it to come across like that, but it certainly does comes across that way.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 week): Unfounded fear-mongering about women filing false rape accusations.
I don't disagree with him. He's a public figure and in todays environment, when someone calls out rape, it's guilty until proven innocent. The way he said it though sounds like a 16 year old surfer dude.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
"Now? Now you really can't pursue someone further than, 'No'. It's like, 'OK, cool'. But then there's the, 'Oh why'd you give up?' And it's like, 'Well, because I didn't want to go to jail?'"

Shockingly, a more appropriate answer to the bolded would be: 'Bitch, you said NO!' or 'Stop playing hard-to-get!' or some combination of both.

"It's very difficult to do that if there are certain rules in place. Because then it's like: 'Well, I don't want to go up and talk to her, because I'm going to be called a rapist or something'.

Oh Henry . . . .

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
He worded that abysmally, but I understand what he's getting at.

Guys are afraid that their intentions will be misconstrued when all they're trying to do is woo a girl.
When you put forward your attempts to attract a partner as "chasing" them, maybe you need to look at yourself.

In fact, the two words I used above are polar opposites. Relationships should be about attraction. When you openly say you want to chase your women, then go "but I'm worried about doing so because of #MeToo" then the problem is with you, not them.

If you have to chase someone (As in turn a no into yes) to get them in a relationship, it's probably not going to end well.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what he's trying to say but wow he worded it super poorly.
...What's the right way of saying it? There are so, so many of people saying variations of this in this thread, but I don't get it at all. It's not the wording that's the problem here, but the sentiment behind the words--the idea that women who make up false rape accusations are so common and all over the place that he's hesitant to date because, due to how common he thinks those events are, that that's exactly the type of thing that would happen to him if he did date. There is NO good way of wording that. The wording ain't the problem. It's the entire sentiment.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get what he's saying. Basically he doesn't want to put himself in a situation where him and a girl are flirting out of fear of being a target (called a rapist) because of his status. Makes sense. He didn't say anything bad, he's just playing it safe (contacting previous girlfriend)

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
lmao dead

"There's a traditional approach to that, which is nice. I think a woman should be wooed and chased, but maybe I'm old-fashioned for thinking that."

"Maybe I'm just old-fashioned" says Henrold Williamsburg Regiford Cavill as he steps off his polo horse, sips some burdock root tonic and offers 2 shillings to a black boy to shine his oxfords.

"Now? Now you really can't pursue someone further than, 'No'. It's like, 'OK, cool'.

what a time to be alive

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...What's the right way of saying it? There are so, so many of people saying variations of this in this thread, but I don't get it at all. It's not the wording that's the problem here, but the sentiment behind the words--the idea that women who make up false rape accusations are so common and all over the place that he's hesitant to date because, due to how common he thinks those events are, that that's exactly the type of thing that would happen to him if he did date. There is NO good way of wording that. The wording ain't the problem. It's the entire sentiment.
Given the industry he works in, i mean. I'm sure it's scary for his ego.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
no means no dude lmao just accept it and move on. your way of approaching/courting women is outdated. girls who liked being "chased" are problematic (yes that word) too

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Well, I can sooooooort of understand Cavill in the sense that he would perhaps be at slightly higher risk due to his public persona, wealth, etc. Still is a kind of dumb way of saying this though.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get what he's saying. Basically he doesn't want to put himself in a situation where him and a girl are flirting out of fear of being a target (called a rapist) because of his status. Makes sense. He didn't say anything bad, he's just playing it safe (contacting previous girlfriend)
No...he isn't?

He's saying that if a girl days no, he will stop.

Not because no means no, but because if he carries on, that it puts him at risk of being accused of impropriety.

Like no means no, unless if you really want to chase them, because that's "old fashioned and what's wrong with that".

#MeToo is full of cases of people who tried to say no. The problem is when people start twisting it and say "well no doesn't mean no, people are just playing hard to get" as an excuse to pursue people who not want the pursuit.

Flirting is not chasing someone until they say yes, that's borderline (and often far beyond the line) abusive behaviour.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Cavill plays WoW so he probably has very little experience with women.

I hope he meant he didn't want to get called a cat caller or stalker and just went too far with the rapist line. I don't think he's dismissing anything.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say this but never get the wording (lol) right.

Thank you, thank you and thank you.

Yeah the sentiment behind this comment is so shitty and tone-deaf.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I don't think the idea is that it's common, more like that you can't afford it even once.

Let's be real here: the overwhelming majority of people have somewhat healthy relationships. False rape accusations are rare, very rare, expecially compared to real rape accusations, which are not rare at all, and far too frequent.

But that doesn't help a guy who thinks "I need this to happen just once and I'm screwed. 5% of rape accusations being false would be a nonentity in social discourse, but it means 1 in 20 and my life is over. That's super scary!".

People are saying Cavill's sentiment isn't unfounded or inherently vile. The problem is that is "fear" is much less justified than, say, that of a woman of actually being raped, and discussing it right now certainly doesn't help the important process that is happening and that is raising awareness among people. Cavill is saying "Things are changing and it's really confusing to me" and people are saying "Maybe you're not entirely wrong, but shut your trap. It's not the right time. It probably never will. Keep it for yourself."

That said, take a look at the Chloe Bennet thread and realize that celebrities right now are (rightfully) terrified of "ordinary people".

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well this is rather unfortunate.

I get what he's saying but the way he expresses it is rather problematic.

It's perfectly fine to be anxious about approaching someone for the fear that you could be seen as harassing someone (even though its easily countered by simply stopping the attempt at a conversation) but framing it as 'they might say I raped them, lol' is really shitty.

It feels like men with attitudes like this simply don't understand how uncomfortable and unwanted a lot of attempted flirting is from men for women.

Women also don't just cry rape because a guy tried to flirt. Also it perfectly fine for women to call out creeps who don't know when to stop or how far to go.

His comment effectively equates women calling out guys for not leaving them alone of going to far with some idea that women just call you a rapist for trying to flirt with them.

Sadly it seems Henry is another wannabe gentleman who doesn't understand how problematic his opinions really are.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
You have to think about what he's saying as if you were a successful male in Hollywood. One scandal can end your career now.

It's easy to be anonymous and hit on girls when you're single.

He could've worded it better that's for sure.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shockingly, a more appropriate answer to the bolded would be: 'Bitch, you said NO!' or 'Stop playing hard-to-get!' or some combination of both.

I'm sure that the popular reaction to someone selling an interview in which she states Cavill told her "Bitch, stop playing hard to get!" would be delicious.

People needs to realize he's framing the discussion in the perspective of someone under the public eye. Again, look at the Chloe Bennet thread. I don't envy these people one bit. He was still wrong saying what he said, however.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a guilty pleasure for these kind of topics. It makes the forum idiots fall on their sword and thus Era is a slightly better place to be.

Good grief, do some of you honestly know how to talk to a woman? Because some of these responses make me think a conversation goes something like this:

Woman: "It's a lovely day, isn't it?"

Man: "Hold my penis!"

Worried about being falsely accused of rape, are you kidding me? Like somehow, women are not afraid to talk to men despite the much higher chance of being attacked/stalked/harassed/raped. Yet some men act as if every woman is out to get their mediocre ass. Bloody hell, either stop imaging stupid scenarios in your head; Actually stop being creepy, because it's probably is you; Or on the off chance you are constantly in fact falsely accuse you of harassment, find better women to hang out with.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to think about what he's saying as if you were a successful male in Hollywood. One scandal can end your career now.

It's easy to be anonymous and hit on girls when you're single.

He could've worded it better that's for sure.
But again, it's not the wording that's the problem. It's the idea that there are masses of women out there just waiting to falsely accuse him if he were to date, to the point that he's scared of dating. That's a very harmful idea regardless of wording that has no basis in reality whatsoever. Him being a star or wahtever has nothing to do with it, because there's zero evidence that it's any more likely to happen to celebrities than anyone else. There's zero evidence of some conspiracy that women are out in mass-force to take celebrities down and falsely accuse people of sexual harassment or rape to the point that anyone should be scared of such a thing.

It's not the wording that's the problem, it's the sentiment behind that wording. And that sentiment is garbage through and through.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a guilty pleasure for these kind of topics. It makes the forum idiots fall on their sword and thus Era is a slightly better place to be.

Good grief, do some of you honestly know how to talk to a woman? Because some of these responses make me think a conversation goes something like this:

Woman: "It's a lovely day, isn't it?"

Man: "Hold my penis!"

Worried about being falsely accused of rape, are you kidding me? Like somehow, women are not afraid to talk to men despite the much higher chance of being attacked/stalked/harassed/raped. Yet some men act as if every woman is out to get their mediocre ass. Bloody hell, either stop imaging stupid scenarios in your head; Actually stop being creepy, because it's probably is you; Or on the off chance you are constantly in fact falsely accuse you of harassment, find better women to hang out with.

No apparantly the conversation usually goes like this:

Man: "Good day, you look lovely"
Woman: "Officer! This man tried to rape me"