• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
www.thenational.scot

Here are the five cruellest parts of the Tory 'anti-refugee bill'

THE UK Government has described it as a comprehensive reform for a "broken system" that will tackle illegal immigration while dealing with…
THE UK Government has described it as a comprehensive reform for a "broken system" that will tackle illegal immigration while dealing with "underlying pull factors into the UK's asylum system".

And it's the cornerstone of Home Secretary Priti Patel's new plan for immigration as she seeks to be seen as tough on migration amid soaring levels of English Channel crossings.

But to its critics, which range from refugee charities, human rights lawyers, to the United Nations, the Nationality and Borders Bill is a "cruel" and "hateful, anti-refugee bill" which will "criminalise" refugees.

It will come under renewed scrutiny in the House of Commons on Tuesday and Wednesday as it goes through Westminster's report stage.

READ MORE: SNP warn Nationality and Borders Bill will destroy lives of vulnerable people

But why is the law so controversial? Well, here are five parts of the bill opponents are saying are unnecessarily cruel.
The National: The Nationality and Borders Bill could penalise people seeking refuge in the UK via English Channel crossings
The Nationality and Borders Bill could penalise people seeking refuge in the UK via English Channel crossings

Criminalising 'unofficial' ways of entering the UK

Priti Patel's bill will create a "two-tiered" asylum system that will penalise those seeking asylum via "unofficial" means.
The UN Refugee Agency states that restricting access to asylum by introducing a two-tiered approach in which only those who come to the UK through so-called "safe and legal pathways" will deny many refugees their rights guaranteed under the 1951 Refugee Convention.

Here's the TL:DR

1 - Unofficial means of entry criminalised

2 - Up to 4 years in prison for those entering illegally including channel crossings

3 - Removal/deprivation of UK Citizenship without warning.

4 - Offshore refugees to British equivalent of Guantanamo.

5 - No access to public funds for asylum seekers/refugees.

We are on the fast track to fascism and that evil hypocritical ghoul Priti Patel is doing her damnedest to make it happen.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They still don't get it. Apparently it's language, family and basically jobs are easy to come by because there is no legal checks and a black market exploitation of sorts so it's very appealing as you get going day one. So they basically ignore those which solves nothing. It's almost intentional I would say.

Cruelty does get them votes though sadly. This sounds mostly like headline never happening nonsense and stuff that doesn't even apply to appease their base of racist fucks.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
This is just depressing. Coincidentally I just watched Children of Men and seems like the refugee camps from the movie will be reality in UK at this rate.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Terrifying.

The stripping of citizenship is the type of thing that would keep me up at night.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
There's so much in this bill that's dog-shit, but essentially ensuring a good number of PoC born in this country are second-class citizens who can have their citizenships revoked at will might just take the cake.

I find it incredible that the government has looked at the Shamima Begum case, and thought "let's make it easier to do that again".

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Removal of citizenship without warning? Fucked up to the core.

Sadly this is a vote winner for a large portion of this country. Talk about WHY immigrants come over, or what can be done to stop exploitation of said workers (As well as British born workers) and you're met with shrugs, if not outright vitriol.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 could be anything like you did bad thing, noted.

2-4 would never past muster except maybe 3 since they managed to do that to the girl who fled.

5 - Again this could be anything, I don't think we do benefits so nothing to cancel and well public funds to feed and put people somewhere, well you have to so I don't think that is anything more than red meat to the base thinking immigrants get freebies, benefits, a house when they land.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
1 could be anything like you did bad thing, noted.

2-4 would never past muster except maybe 3 since they managed to do that to the girl who fled.

5 - Again this could be anything, I don't think we do benefits so nothing to cancel and well public funds to feed and put people somewhere, well you have to so I don't think that is anything more than red meat to the base thinking immigrants get freebies, benefits, a house when they land.

It's worth remembering that the Tories are still riding high with a huge majority from the last general election do sadly this has a strong chance of passing intact sadly.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The bill also fucks around with free movement throughout Ireland. It can't touch the rights of Irish people because of the CTA, but the CTA doesn't cover anyone living in Ireland without Irish citizenship, and the new bill requires them to get pre-clearance for crossing into the UK, including Northern Ireland.

Anyone with even minimal knowledge of Northern Ireland could instantly tell them that this requirement, if passed, could simply not be enforced in any kind of rational manner.

It's not the worst part of the bill (and the bill is so bad that it's understandable that it's not in a top five list, especially for a Scottish newspaper) but it is immensely stupid and capricious.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Using the Australian playbook I see. Well it 'worked' for us. Fark.