• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Here Is an Great Clip Of Streamer Destiny Explaining how Edgy Jokes & Memes Can have Bad Outcomes & normalizes racism/bigotry

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of responses to my comments but I'll respond to this one. I'm against a lot of the purity tests that public figures get put through. In the case of Destiny, I'm not. The difference is that Destiny directly profited directly from using the n-word, calling others homophobic slurs, etc. He was famous for it! The only reason people way back when would tune into his Justin.tv or his sc2 stream was to see it! That's a very rare case and really destiny is the only one I can think of that that applies to so I dont think the broad use of purity test works at all. I get that hes changed to extent where he wont use those words publicly. Fine(?). But him using those words before allowed him the platform (and still profit off of) for his famous debates later with the likes of Jontron. If he had never used the n word (or similar terms) to begin with he would never have gotten that opportunity so I still feel he is profiting off it and I dont like it.
He got popular for saying the n-word? And still profits off what he said years ago despite his audience being fundamentally different?
Ok, well I don’t know if saying the n-word actively made him popular, but sure being an gamer edgelord probably did. For the sake of argument, let’s say he hadn’t changed his prior views at all. Would you prefer he have a progressive platform debating alt-righters, or a platform defending racist, homophobic views?
The fact is that these people are gonna have viewers regardless of what you think. I’d much prefer to have someone debate alt-right youtubers on logic and reason to show the general public how much of idiots they are, rather than not at all. Destiny is doing good work and there are many cases where people/gamers have come out of these youtube hellholes because of him.

Last edited:

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of responses to my comments but I'll respond to this one. I'm against a lot of the purity tests that public figures get put through. In the case of Destiny, I'm not. The difference is that Destiny directly profited directly from using the n-word, calling others homophobic slurs, etc. He was famous for it! The only reason people way back when would tune into his Justin.tv or his sc2 stream was to see it! That's a very rare case and really destiny is the only one I can think of that that applies to so I dont think the broad use of purity test works at all. I get that hes changed to extent where he wont use those words publicly. Fine(?). But him using those words before allowed him the platform (and still profit off of) for his famous debates later with the likes of Jontron. If he had never used the n word (or similar terms) to begin with he would never have gotten that opportunity so I still feel he is profiting off it and I dont like it.
What if he used the n-word and f-word back then to build his platform off of 1000s of racists and homophobic gamers, and over the years, as he reformed, reformed them too? Isnt that great?

Or are you saying the audience who used to watch him in his racist starcraft days isnt the same audience who watched him now? In which case, your logic doesnt follow

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy his debating style and have learned a lot when it comes to engaging the right/alt-right.

Destiny has definitely held stances that offend me and his post on this forum was one of them but his willingness to engage and grow is extremely positive to see. There is still stances of his that I dislike and I hope with enough discussion he can change them but overall I think he is extremely helpful in deradicalizing some of the conservatives and centrists.

I don't expect others to enjoy him based off some of his stances and that is totally fair. When I read his post on this forum originally I hated him and wrote off all of his content since I had only bothered watching his Jontron debate. Once I started watching his other debates I was surprised at how much I enjoyed his approach and content. He is someone who has constantly shown change and for that I'm not going to write him off because some of his points aren't aligned with my own.

OP
OP
IceFireTerry
Mar 17, 2018
Destiny's entire thing, as he outright admits, is based on mental calculus where he's decided there is utilitarian reasons to combat white supremacy and bigotry, he outright admits he doesn;t actually care about minorities or women, his support of the "cause" hinges entirely on his mental calculus.

If he thought there was more utility in white supremacy, that's how he;d be.

That is a rocky foundation....
he cares a lot more than he is willing to admit, you can see it

OP
OP
IceFireTerry
Mar 17, 2018
Destiny's claim is that he has antisocial personality disorder, so he does not care about anyone, not specifically minorities.

edit: To be clear, I'm not defending him here. I think he is a useful ally, but his status as useful ally can be dropped if he changes his stance. But until he does, it makes sense to leverage him against all the alt right shitbags he trashes. Of course you may not feel the same way. It is a very sensitive subject and I respect people who feel differently.
Is that supposed to make me feel better or something?

Dude doesn't give a shit about us, dude wants to still use bigoted language cause it's funny.... but I;m supposed to what be grateful he talks to random shitheads online? And hope my human rights still meet his utility requirements 2,3 ,10 years down the road?
if has does have some kind of antisocial personality disorder it makes it more interesting. because even if he may not care on an emotional level (i believe he does to an extant) but he does choose to care about the problems, people with ASPD have a hard time with empathy & connecting with people (does not mean they can't)

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny: over 2 years, literally changing his stance on things like slurs and deplatforming into closer to what the left believes.
Posters: He NEVER changes! What if he gets worse?!

Uh, ok.

People aren't perfect, and I don't expect people to be. I also don't expect people to magically change all their beliefs overnight. But if in my eyes, they're growing towards what I consider to be good? I'm not gonna buy into the concern trolling.
Yeah, ERA can be fucking frustrating sometimes. There are people here who think people CAN'T change, and even if they see proof they go "well, they were POS, and I don't care if they changed".

Destiny has his fair share of problems, but as one of his viewers, every year I see his attitudes towards problematic things he deemed "OK" change for the better.

People are not fucking perfect, era.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, ERA can be fucking frustrating sometimes. There are people here who think people CAN'T change, and even if they see proof they go "well, they were POS, and I don't care if they changed".

Destiny has his fair share of problems, but as one of his viewers, every year I see his attitudes towards problematic things he deemed "OK" change for the better.

Reminds me of the people who came out against James Gunn when his recent controversy first started on here. They are blind to the wider context of the environment people are operating in.

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

As someone who will never believe in any redemption of people like Boogie, Jontron or PDP, you are absolutely right. At times, people are going a bit overboard, and I'm probably not innocent of this.

I'm fine with Destiny for the most part, but every time he goes on about "lefties" or "SJWs" it's getting kinda grating I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Definitely just want to say Ive seen this too, and it frustrates me just as much. I can't stand it, and its really common here.

Oct 22, 2018
a sunken pirate ship
I maintain that the spoiler in what I assume is his first tweet is obvious to anyone who saw the first five minutes of Infinity War

OF COURSE Tony Stark dies at the end. The intro of Infinity War where he's talking with Pepper he may as well say "I'm one day off from retirement" like the joke about what every cop that dies in a police drama says at the start of the film. It's not even remotely subtle. I haven't even seen Endgame and I knew that was a thing. I swear I've joked about it on this very forum and am only remotely surprised that I'm correct.