• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of responses to my comments but I'll respond to this one. I'm against a lot of the purity tests that public figures get put through. In the case of Destiny, I'm not. The difference is that Destiny directly profited directly from using the n-word, calling others homophobic slurs, etc. He was famous for it! The only reason people way back when would tune into his Justin.tv or his sc2 stream was to see it! That's a very rare case and really destiny is the only one I can think of that that applies to so I dont think the broad use of purity test works at all. I get that hes changed to extent where he wont use those words publicly. Fine(?). But him using those words before allowed him the platform (and still profit off of) for his famous debates later with the likes of Jontron. If he had never used the n word (or similar terms) to begin with he would never have gotten that opportunity so I still feel he is profiting off it and I dont like it.
He got popular for saying the n-word? And still profits off what he said years ago despite his audience being fundamentally different?
Ok, well I don't know if saying the n-word actively made him popular, but sure being an gamer edgelord probably did. For the sake of argument, let's say he hadn't changed his prior views at all. Would you prefer he have a progressive platform debating alt-righters, or a platform defending racist, homophobic views?
The fact is that these people are gonna have viewers regardless of what you think. I'd much prefer to have someone debate alt-right youtubers on logic and reason to show the general public how much of idiots they are, rather than not at all. Destiny is doing good work and there are many cases where people/gamers have come out of these youtube hellholes because of him.

Last edited:

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of responses to my comments but I'll respond to this one. I'm against a lot of the purity tests that public figures get put through. In the case of Destiny, I'm not. The difference is that Destiny directly profited directly from using the n-word, calling others homophobic slurs, etc. He was famous for it! The only reason people way back when would tune into his Justin.tv or his sc2 stream was to see it! That's a very rare case and really destiny is the only one I can think of that that applies to so I dont think the broad use of purity test works at all. I get that hes changed to extent where he wont use those words publicly. Fine(?). But him using those words before allowed him the platform (and still profit off of) for his famous debates later with the likes of Jontron. If he had never used the n word (or similar terms) to begin with he would never have gotten that opportunity so I still feel he is profiting off it and I dont like it.
What if he used the n-word and f-word back then to build his platform off of 1000s of racists and homophobic gamers, and over the years, as he reformed, reformed them too? Isnt that great?

Or are you saying the audience who used to watch him in his racist starcraft days isnt the same audience who watched him now? In which case, your logic doesnt follow

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy his debating style and have learned a lot when it comes to engaging the right/alt-right.

Destiny has definitely held stances that offend me and his post on this forum was one of them but his willingness to engage and grow is extremely positive to see. There is still stances of his that I dislike and I hope with enough discussion he can change them but overall I think he is extremely helpful in deradicalizing some of the conservatives and centrists.

I don't expect others to enjoy him based off some of his stances and that is totally fair. When I read his post on this forum originally I hated him and wrote off all of his content since I had only bothered watching his Jontron debate. Once I started watching his other debates I was surprised at how much I enjoyed his approach and content. He is someone who has constantly shown change and for that I'm not going to write him off because some of his points aren't aligned with my own.

OP
OP
IceFireTerry

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
Destiny's entire thing, as he outright admits, is based on mental calculus where he's decided there is utilitarian reasons to combat white supremacy and bigotry, he outright admits he doesn;t actually care about minorities or women, his support of the "cause" hinges entirely on his mental calculus.

If he thought there was more utility in white supremacy, that's how he;d be.

That is a rocky foundation....
he cares a lot more than he is willing to admit, you can see it

OP
OP
IceFireTerry

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
Destiny's claim is that he has antisocial personality disorder, so he does not care about anyone, not specifically minorities.

edit: To be clear, I'm not defending him here. I think he is a useful ally, but his status as useful ally can be dropped if he changes his stance. But until he does, it makes sense to leverage him against all the alt right shitbags he trashes. Of course you may not feel the same way. It is a very sensitive subject and I respect people who feel differently.

Is that supposed to make me feel better or something?

Dude doesn't give a shit about us, dude wants to still use bigoted language cause it's funny.... but I;m supposed to what be grateful he talks to random shitheads online? And hope my human rights still meet his utility requirements 2,3 ,10 years down the road?

if has does have some kind of antisocial personality disorder it makes it more interesting. because even if he may not care on an emotional level (i believe he does to an extant) but he does choose to care about the problems, people with ASPD have a hard time with empathy & connecting with people (does not mean they can't)

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny: over 2 years, literally changing his stance on things like slurs and deplatforming into closer to what the left believes.
Posters: He NEVER changes! What if he gets worse?!

Uh, ok.

People aren't perfect, and I don't expect people to be. I also don't expect people to magically change all their beliefs overnight. But if in my eyes, they're growing towards what I consider to be good? I'm not gonna buy into the concern trolling.
Yeah, ERA can be fucking frustrating sometimes. There are people here who think people CAN'T change, and even if they see proof they go "well, they were POS, and I don't care if they changed".

Destiny has his fair share of problems, but as one of his viewers, every year I see his attitudes towards problematic things he deemed "OK" change for the better.

People are not fucking perfect, era.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, ERA can be fucking frustrating sometimes. There are people here who think people CAN'T change, and even if they see proof they go "well, they were POS, and I don't care if they changed".

Destiny has his fair share of problems, but as one of his viewers, every year I see his attitudes towards problematic things he deemed "OK" change for the better.

Reminds me of the people who came out against James Gunn when his recent controversy first started on here. They are blind to the wider context of the environment people are operating in.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

As someone who will never believe in any redemption of people like Boogie, Jontron or PDP, you are absolutely right. At times, people are going a bit overboard, and I'm probably not innocent of this.

I'm fine with Destiny for the most part, but every time he goes on about "lefties" or "SJWs" it's getting kinda grating I guess.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Definitely just want to say Ive seen this too, and it frustrates me just as much. I can't stand it, and its really common here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
this really doesn't have that much to do with the conversation or destiny, but I thought this was a funny tweet

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Spoiler Destiny is peak Destiny

XurrHso.png

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I maintain that the spoiler in what I assume is his first tweet is obvious to anyone who saw the first five minutes of Infinity War

OF COURSE Tony Stark dies at the end. The intro of Infinity War where he's talking with Pepper he may as well say "I'm one day off from retirement" like the joke about what every cop that dies in a police drama says at the start of the film. It's not even remotely subtle. I haven't even seen Endgame and I knew that was a thing. I swear I've joked about it on this very forum and am only remotely surprised that I'm correct.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Here's a very interesting video from NonCompete who you might remember from that video "the Pewdiepie pipeline" which is actually what brought my attention to Destiny just a few months ago.

Last edited:

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
So is anybody keeping up with the drama between Destiny and Hasan Piker? Goddamn it is fucking painful and pathetic to see it unfold.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is anybody keeping up with the drama between Destiny and Hasan Piker? Goddamn it is fucking painful and pathetic to see it unfold.

What drama? I thought Destiny and him just had a little back and forth about Hasan's video. Destiny was being overly nit picky and then Hasan took random comments in his chat to heart and ranted. Same stuff as always really.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
What drama? I thought Destiny and him just had a little back and forth about Hasan's video. Destiny was being overly nit picky and then Hasan took random comments in his chat to heart and ranted. Same stuff as always really.
It's needlessly escalated since then. There's honestly too much to link, but have a look at their respective twitters and Reddits. Destiny saying he's done with him, saying Hasan is homophobic for his whole 'Bootyjudge' thing etc.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's needlessly escalated since then. There's honestly too much to link, but have a look at their respective twitters and Reddits. Destiny saying he's done with him, saying Hasan is homophobic for his whole 'Bootyjudge' thing etc.
destiny called someone else homophobic!? hahahahaha oh wow.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, that's unfortunate if so. I'll have to check that out. Saw a bit of Hasan's stream yesterday but he seemed to be stuck in a loop so I stopped watching.

Last edited:

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this argument akin to people blaming artists when kids take their songs literally(I'm not including the racist shit tho, fuck anyone who thinks it's remotely funny)?

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is a god tier rhetorician but damn if he doesn't self-sabotage with his stupid takes on minor issues.
Hasan is a good boi for the most part but he rambles on for 20 minutes without making a clear point.

Hasan's views + destiny's rhetoric would be the perfect anti-reactionary youtube being. Sad that it's come to this. Destiny's already on shaky ground after spoilergate and this is only going to make him slide further since I expect more mudslinging between them.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is a god tier rhetorician but damn if he doesn't self-sabotage with his stupid takes on minor issues.
Hasan is a good boi for the most part but he rambles on for 20 minutes without making a clear point.

Hasan's views + destiny's rhetoric would be the perfect anti-reactionary youtube being. Sad that it's come to this. Destiny's already on shaky ground after spoilergate and this is only going to make him slide further since I expect more mudslinging between them.
Perfectly put tbh. Hasan is far too wordy and his rants are too scrambled but his politics are more in line with my own than Destiny, and he genuinely seems like a great, down to earth dude compared to Destiny's sociopathic and gamerbro tendencies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

it's weird he is only shaky ground for "spoilergate" but when he admits he is bigoted with his friends in private to where if chat logs were released his career would crater, it's business as usual.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Not sure exactly when Hasan comes on, maybe after an hour or so.

Ah, I haven't finished Hasan's Cop-Mala Harris video, but this should be interesting to watch. Thanks!

I really wish Hasan was better at forming arguments. I watched the Nick Fuentes/Carl Benjamin/Destiny/Hasan debate on Trainwreckstv and Hasan was getting double teamed by Fuentes and Benjamin for a nice chunk of it.
Basically this, although I think Destiny is on-the-money most of the time. He's got some pretty shit takes on some things.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Hasan was completely destroyed by Destiny in that debate, every single point he brought up Destiny was able to break apart.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hasan was completely destroyed by Destiny in that debate, every single point he brought up Destiny was able to break apart.
Of course YOU would say that, CopMala Harris

I haven't watched the debate yet, but yeah, Destiny is excellent in rhetoric. Stands to reason he would body Hasan in a debate

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
While I kind of agree, it all just seemed so pointless. Destiny was *really* nitpicky and seemed to go after semantics more than anything.

It just fucking bums me out that it got to the point where they're even debating. You're both on the same fucking side in this guys, and you're fighting over fucking Kamala Harris instead of focusing on the genuine evil on the right.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
While I kind of agree, it all just seemed so pointless. Destiny was *really* nitpicky and seemed to go after semantics more than anything.

It just fucking bums me out that it got to the point where they're even debating. You're both on the same fucking side in this guys, and you're fighting over fucking Kamala Harris instead of focusing on the genuine evil on the right.
it just seems the toxicity of the 2016 Dem primary is going to be much worse this time

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I'm no expert on debate, so I'm going to need some other opinions on this:

Do you think that Destiny steelmans the people he debates against? Like, do you think he paints the most charitable depiction of their arguments and then dismantles them? And if so, isn't he doing Hasan a favour, by helping him create stronger arguments?

Again, the video you linked for me is 3 hours and I haven't watched it yet (debating about starting that or Stranger Things, if I'm being honest), so maybe Destiny isn't doing any of that here and I'm just really misguided.

But I think Destiny--and good faith debate in general--helps people create stronger arguments in the long run.

tl;dr: Do you think Destiny debating people who, for all intents and purposes are on the same side as he is, is beneficial to discourse?

Oct 25, 2017
...I wasn't trying to refute you.
Yeah no that's my bad, I should say that this discussion is more geared to be in the Leftist OT, which is an active thread, rather than this one where it's a bit off topic.

My take on the topic though is that while Hasan did same some pretty dumb shit through the discussion, Destiny being unable to concede to Hasan's fundamental belief of the powers of the DA shouldn't overreach. Putting up moral framework arguments when Hasan is essentially saying that it's the responsibility of other parts of government is just shitty. Neither of them were really on the same page.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert on debate, so I'm going to need some other opinions on this:

Do you think that Destiny steelmans the people he debates against? Like, do you think he paints the most charitable depiction of their arguments and then dismantles them? And if so, isn't he doing Hasan a favour, by helping him create stronger arguments?

Again, the video you linked for me is 3 hours and I haven't watched it yet (debating about starting that or Stranger Things, if I'm being honest), so maybe Destiny isn't doing any of that here and I'm just really misguided.

But I think Destiny--and good faith debate in general--helps people create stronger arguments in the long run.

tl;dr: Do you think Destiny debating people who, for all intents and purposes are on the same side as he is, is beneficial to discourse?
Oh trust me, I'm no expert either lol

To your point though, I think it *could* be beneficial, in the right circumstances and over the right topic, but to me, this isn't one of those instances. I'm paraphrasing here, but one of Destiny's critiques of Hasan's Copmala Harris video was Hasan saying 'schools report kids to ICE and get them deported'. Destiny's take was 'No they don't, it's the cops working within the schools that report them to ICE'. To me, that's a distinction without a difference (when viewing Hasan's point as a whole), and even if there is a difference, is it worth spending like a fucking hour going over that semantic argument, losing a friendship and starting all this drama?

Last edited:

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no that's my bad, I should say that this discussion is more geared to be in the Leftist OT, which is an active thread, rather than this one where it's a bit off topic.

My take on the topic though is that while Hasan did same some pretty dumb shit through the discussion, Destiny being unable to concede to Hasan's fundamental belief of the powers of the DA shouldn't overreach. Putting up moral framework arguments when Hasan is essentially saying that it's the responsibility of other parts of government is just shitty. Neither of them were really on the same page.
It's all good. Tbh I didn't even know there was a leftist OT but I'll be reading that shit from now on so thanks for the heads up!

And I'm pretty much in agreement with your take on it. Destiny can be far too pig-headed at times.