• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Hmm. I feel bad more than anything. Not everyone can be a decent voice actor, and some people have an extremely hard time reading aloud, regardless of their overall reading ability. I suppose they agreed to do it though...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so pleased that we don't have to hear Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2 voice acting again, no matter 'amusing' they sounded like...

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
There we are, 3 pages in I was about to post it myself. Nothing will top Arc Rise Fantasia.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Fox Hunt

36926-Fox_Hunt_[NTSC-U]_[Disc1of3]-1491129476.jpg

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading most of this thread I still think Chaos Wars is the king of bad VA. Brom is hilarious too though.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Aren't those real players? I don't think we can judge their voice performances in that case.

Now, if it was all professional voice actors doing their jobs badly, that would be another story...
It's bad direction more than anything, FIFA has a mode like this and none of the players sound anywhere near this bad.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe voice acting from a 5 year old game is going viral now. Ya'll some slow pokes.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Still not as bad as ffx. Considering the size/context of the game.

Oh come on. FFX is fine- with professional VAs- and is not even in the same galaxy as shit like 'family members of the CEO' Chaos Wars or professional athletes that did a single take for sports games.

There's always someone bringing up games like FFX, Metal Gear Solid 2, or hell, even Horizon: Zero Dawn in these threads. I'm convinced it's just to dunk on popular games, but maybe they are vocal experts that consider that kind of work legitimately terrible?
If that's the case, this must be a very difficult medium to deal with on a regular basis.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Shit man its not even that they just arent good actors who cant memorize their lines, but they arent really good readers either because they clearly had 1 or maybe 2 takes and this was the best you got

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
People here probably wouldn't like to see it, but DSPGaming actually had this game as part of his worst games of the year montage at the time, and it was actually kind of funny, his outraged reaction at just how bad it was.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Oh come on. FFX is fine- with professional VAs- and is not even in the same galaxy as shit like 'family members of the CEO' Chaos Wars or professional athletes that did a single take for sports games.

There's always someone bringing up games like FFX, Metal Gear Solid 2, or hell, even Horizon: Zero Dawn in these threads. I'm convinced it's just to dunk on popular games, but maybe they are vocal experts that consider that kind of work legitimately terrible?
If that's the case, this must be a very difficult medium to deal with on a regular basis.
Mostly the FFX comments are from the dweebs who still cite the laughing scene as bad VA. Bad dubs mostly exist because of the voice director either not giving a shit or just being legit terrible at their job (and there are a lot of the latter). See: a lot of 90s anime, particularly from ADV.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Mostly the FFX comments are from the dweebs who still cite the laughing scene as bad VA. Bad dubs mostly exist because of the voice director either not giving a shit or just being legit terrible at their job (and there are a lot of the latter). See: a lot of 90s anime, particularly from ADV.

Exactly.

FFX's voice direction was done by Jack Fletcher, who has a long, successful career in the business (even VA directing for Hayao Miyazaki dubs). FFX's was ambitious because it was done on a scale that hadn't been attempted yet in the console JRPG realm. The amount of voice work is staggering- and although his main cast varies in overall effectiveness, I consider none of it to be anything worse than simply average (with some, like DiMaggio's Wakka, McKenzie's Auron, and Julia Fletcher's Yunalesca, being exceptionally fantastic).

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Exactly.

FFX's voice direction was done by Jack Fletcher, who has a long, successful career in the business (even VA directing for Hayao Miyazaki dubs). FFX's was ambitious because it was done on a scale that hadn't been attempted yet in the console JRPG realm. The amount of voice work is staggering- and although his main cast varies in overall effectiveness, I consider none of it to be anything worse than simply average (with some, like DiMaggio's Wakka, McKenzie's Auron, and Julia Fletcher's Yunalesca, being exceptionally fantastic).
TBH, I always forget DiMaggio is Wakka (and Kimahri) because most of the time he disappears into a character. You have rather obvious stuff that you can tell its him between Bender, Jake the Dog and the like, but he's got more range than a lot of people would expect. But, again, it goes down to the directing being good.

6 pages in and no mention of that scene in Final Fantasy X? Shame

Maybe, I dunno, read the thread first? 6 pages in and it's been mentioned and somewhat discussed, even.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire

Gringo?

I had to watch it again and it's still amazing.

"Hey you, random dude on the street. Do you you want to voice a video game character?"
"Whats a video game?"
"You're hired"

Last edited:

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Sounds like me and my classmates back in middle school drama class. Seriously though they obviously just picked regular joes looking for some cash, no actors.