• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

Ive always loved this song but I don't think I've seen a single movie where the Ennio Morricone scores appear for the first time (that includes the Clint Eastwood westerns). So everytime I'd hear this simple song I'd get chills but not know anything about this Nicola and Bart.

I kept meaning to look into Nicola and Bart mainly thinking they were some fictional duo, but curious nonetheless. I finally remembered to look them up and their story is incredible and it makes the song even more powerful when you learn the context of the lyrics at the end:

"The last and final moment is yours/
That agony is your triumph"

First an excerpt from wiki on who they were and what happened:

"Nicola Sacco (pronounced [niˈkɔːla ˈsakko]; April 22, 1891 – August 23, 1927) and Bartolomeo Vanzetti (pronounced [bartoloˈmɛːo vanˈtsetti, -ˈdzet-]; June 11, 1888 – August 23, 1927) were two Italian migrant anarchists who were controversially convicted of murdering a guard and a paymaster during the April 15, 1920, armed robbery of the Slater and Morrill Shoe Company in Braintree, Massachusetts, United States. Seven years later, they were electrocuted in the electric chair at Charlestown State Prison. Both men adhered to an anarchist movement."

"After a few hours' deliberation on July 14, 1921, the jury convicted Sacco and Vanzetti of first-degree murder and they were sentenced to death by the trial judge. Anti-Italianism and anti-immigrant bias were suspected as having heavily influenced the verdict. A series of appeals followed, funded largely by the private Sacco and Vanzetti Defense Committee. The appeals were based on recanted testimony, conflicting ballistics evidence, a prejudicial pretrial statement by the jury foreman, and a confession by an alleged participant in the robbery. All appeals were denied by trial judge Webster Thayer and also later denied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. By 1926, the case had drawn worldwide attention."

"On August 23, 1977—the 50th anniversary of the executions—Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis issued a proclamation that Sacco and Vanzetti had been unfairly tried and convicted and that "any disgrace should be forever removed from their names".

The song is from the soundtrack of the movie Sacco and Vanzetti. The following quote attributed to Vanzetti while in prison months before his execution, adds context to the four lines of lyrics and elevates a nice sounding song into something powerful and heart-rending:

"If it had not been for these things, I might have lived out my life talking at street corners to scorning men. I might have died, unmarked, unknown, a failure. Now we are not a failure. This is our career and our triumph. Never in our full life we could have hoped to do such work for tolerance, for justice, for man's understanding of man as we now do by accident. Our words—our lives—our pains—nothing! The taking of our lives—lives of a good shoemaker and a poor fish peddler—all! That last moment belongs to us—that agony is our triumph."

Gives you chills.

Last edited:

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard it for the first time in one of Kojima's games (can't remember which one, I think he's used it more than once) and when searching for the lyrics I came upon their story. Incredibly powerful and touching, as you said. It's one hell of a song.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I heard it for the first time in one of Kojima's games (can't remember which one, I think he's used it more than once) and when searching for the lyrics I came upon their story. Incredibly powerful and touching, as you said. It's one hell of a song.
MGSV Ground Zeroes played this song. It's where I heard it first as well.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
A beautiful song, simple yet so powerful.
I remember one time, I was humming it and my mother began to sing along. She knew and loved this song and I didn't even knew it at the time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know this song because of the end credits of MGS4. It's weird, because in the final game it really doesn't link up with the story at all, but if Kojima's staff hadn't stopped him from his original horribly dark ending (Snake and Otacon get executed for war crimes and only Sunny, Meryl, etc know the truth) it would've fit perfectly.

Beautiful song regardless of its appropriateness in MGS4, though.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First heard it through MGS as well during the initial skull man trailer. Been on my playlist ever since as a go to when I need a hip hop break.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I know this song because of the end credits of MGS4. It's weird, because in the final game it really doesn't link up with the story at all, but if Kojima's staff hadn't stopped him from his original horribly dark ending (Snake and Otacon get executed for war crimes and only Sunny, Meryl, etc know the truth) it would've fit perfectly.

Fits V pretty well, though.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got obssessed with this song after I heard it on Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes

I love it

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Life Aquatic is where I first heard it. It's great.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I also adore this song and probably listened to it hundred times or so before I went "oh wait, who the hell are these guys anyway?"

It was recommended on Spotify after I was binging hard on some Morricone. I had no idea that Kojima included it in some Metal Gear games.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It was actually first used in MGS4 so you probably heard it there too :)

Kojima was originally gonna end the game with Snake and Hal being wrongly executed, hence the parallel.

What the fuck?!
Thank god he did not George Lucas Metal Gear and thank god for his staff. I can't imagine the reactions at the time!

OP
OP
Dali

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
MGS4 version is really beautiful

Lisbeth Scott singing this version of the song is horrible. She is trying to stretch her vocal ability in parts which makes her have to sing other parts too quickly. Just follow the rhythm of the song. This is an especially slow version of it. It's ok to just sing with the rhythm.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Ground Zeroes is the P.T of Metal Gear.

In a very short time he managed to lay down the tone and direction Metal Gear V was going to be but then Metal Gear V had nothing of it. It was basically a playable trailer.

And now that song is stuck in my head again.