• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'll boost any thread praising JSR. One of the greatest of all time. It always hurts my head when people complain about an arcade inspired, momentum and combo based time attack game being too hard and not being fun if you keep fucking up. Like, the levels have a short timer for a reason. You learn them and git gud, then you reap the rewards.
This post lays out why these games aren't for me. I like the concept of doing cool moves while sliding around the map and painting graffiti everywhere but the whole arcadey time attack aspect turned me off from the game.

I would love for a new JSR game to take the open world game design style of something like Sunset Overdrive. That would be neat and would make me enjoy the games a lot more.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I love playing cool games and one of the most important feeling for me in a game is being "cool" Here's my quick list if people are looking for a similar feeling
Jet Set Radio Future
Devil May Cry 3
Sonic Adventure 2
Furi
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
MegaMan Zero

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
To paraphrase Krejlooc, Jet Set Radio is just Stylish Pac-Man.

Pac-man.png

Tag graffiti instead of eating dots. Dodge cops instead of ghosts. Same idea, just a little more complex.

All of the sub-systems in the game gelled well with each other and encouraged a lot of replay to find optimal routes. Some types of cops would coalesce around specific tag areas at the start of the stage, while others would guard different areas once the stage was closer to completion. So, much of your path planning would start from there. The game was score-based, and the characters who granted the highest score bonus for tags also had smaller capacity for carrying cans (meaning that you'd have to double-back for paint more often and expose yourself to danger more frequently) and more complex tagging motions (meaning that you'd have to spend a little more time tagging and risk being tackled by cops more frequently). Small things on the surface, but they contribute a lot toward a satisfying loop of risk and reward, and it was increasingly enjoyable once you took the time to think and plan a few steps ahead. Learning how to maintain speed while grinding took a little bit of skill, and learning the levels well enough to traverse them quickly while also maintaining a continuous grind bonus were important. The controls and camera were janky, but with enough practice they'd cease to be an issue for anyone who bothered to put time into it.

Jet Set Radio Future is also Pac-Man, except they made the mazes roughly ten times larger and removed all the ghosts. There's hardly a "game" to be found there, and it rests firmly at the top of my lists for "dumbed-down sequels for simpletons" and "examples of Sega's utter inability to expand a solid arcade concept into a sprawling console game."

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
To paraphrase Krejlooc, Jet Set Radio is just Stylish Pac-Man.

Pac-man.png

Tag graffiti instead of eating dots. Dodge cops instead of ghosts. Same idea, just a little more complex.

All of the sub-systems in the game gelled well with each other and encouraged a lot of replay to find optimal routes. Some types of cops would coalesce around specific tag areas at the start of the stage, while others would guard different areas once the stage was closer to completion, so much of your path planning would start from there. The game was score-based, and the characters who granted the highest score bonus for tags also had smaller capacity for carrying cans (meaning that you'd have to double-back for paint more often and expose yourself to danger more frequently) and more complex tagging motions (meaning that you'd have to spend a little more time tagging and risk being tackled by cops more frequently). Small things on the surface, but they contribute a lot toward a satisfying loop of risk and reward, and it was increasingly enjoyable once you took the time to think and plan a few steps ahead. Learning how to maintain speed while grinding took a little bit of skill, and learning the levels well enough to traverse them quickly and while maintaining a continuous grind bonus were important. The controls and camera were janky, but with enough practice they'd cease to be an issue for anyone who bothered to put time into it.

Jet Set Radio Future is also Pac-Man, except they made the mazes roughly ten times larger and removed all the ghosts. There's hardly a "game" to be found there, and it rests firmly at the top of my lists for "dumbed-down sequels for simpletons" and "examples of Sega's utter inability to expand a solid arcade concept into a sprawling console game."

It's a genuinely interesting take. Thank you for that! It really makes me want to revisit JSR.

Last time I played this game it was on the Dreamcast. How is the quality of the port they made recently? Is the soundtrack still intact?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Last time I played this game it was on the Dreamcast. How is the quality of the port they made recently? Is the soundtrack still intact?
The HD version is definitely the way to play. You get slightly more control over the camera (right-stick manual control), although it doesn't completely fix it (camera reorientation and tagging are still bafflingly mapped to the same button). Almost all of the soundtrack is intact; they brought together all of the tracks from the US and PAL versions save for one song iirc. There are more graphical glitches than in the DC original (lots of z-fighting for example) and the game is still locked at 30fps, but cel-shaded games always benefit from a resolution upgrade.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
There's so many IP's SEGA needs to bring back, but JSR's by far the most prominent for me. It's an open market for skating games right now, so I think it's somewhat viable.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably one of my favorite game franchises...and yet I still have not played JSRF. I have the game, I just never owned an Xbox. One day...(and I still want another sequel, dammit)

I still remember being so excited about JGR on Dreamcast and finally sitting down to play it in my dorm room...believe it or not, I did not love it at first. The controls were just not clicking with me. I almost gave up on it, but at some point, I just settled in to how the game worked and it made it way easier. It's definitely got a learning curve.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's a great example of pairing stylized, awesome visuals with a legit good gameplay loop in a cool setting.

I had so much fun with it, and I miss it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God I fucking stan these games so much. The style, the characters, the music, the grinding from rail to rail, everything!

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I'm currently in the middle of playing through Future on my Xbox ATM. Haven't booted it up in awhile but it looks so good. Makes me sad to see no updates in a long time. That 60 fps.