• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
#NeverEverForget

1365334150804s.jpg

Whew...this gen was great, but goddamn I still think Warhawk was the most fun MP experience I've had.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate this "if it ain't broke" approach here, no one is clamoring for Sony to change much about the 1st party output so I'm glad the focus will stay where it is.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness for that! PS4 gen Sony was in a different tier

and how quickly do some people forget! Guys do you not remember how it was leading up to the PS4 gen? People were worried about things becoming too focused on MP! We applauded when we received news of SP focused games. Right now we have such great diversity and I hope Sony continues to grow and do more of what they have been doing.

I also cannot take people who imply that Sony SP focused games do not have good gameplay. I just can't. God of War 2018 had one of the best combat systems of the gen. It was by far way superior in gameplay design to all 6 god of war games that came before it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool for the fans. Sony really is top shelf in their focus on AAA narrative spectacle games.

I've personally drifted from that style of game design, but I fully respect that Sony WWS are excellent craftsmen who bring joy to millions.

Over the years I've found myself more engaged with systems-heavy games. Genres like grand-strategy, colony management, business management sims and the like. It's just what triggers those endorphins these days.

I'm happy that Sony is finding success in their lane though.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly not seeing the context of Sonys games being "familiar". Only thing that's the same about them is that they all look incredible expensive to develop

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
God of war is not a good example to use as Storytelling over gameplay from Sony's big games. They took Months/years just to get the axe to feel right. GoW is definitely a gameplay focused game.

2 cents...

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The only JRPGs you're getting are Jim Ryan Party Gifs.

But LBP is more Dreams than Tearaway. And while GenDesign is a talented dev (hope they're working with Sony on something), Sony Japan in general works on really cool stuff in general, as does PixelOpus now that they have two games under their belt.

I'd also quibble with GOW, Horizon and Last of Us having "that" covered, thus no need for Days Gone. Days Gone didn't feel like any of them besides maybe Horizon, and in that case, only because you can hide in grass.

Overall, Days Gone was crazy fun top to bottom for me.

But ICO games are different from anything in this industry. Dreams isnt clicking for me, and I think unless they intend to allow creators to get paid thru donations, we wont see as much potential realized. Or at least allow players to make creations on PC using KBM. Everything I continue to see from Dreams looks "neat" but hardly "a game within a game". LBP's appeal was a strong SP component with likeable characters and customization and Dreams struggles with that and is hardly making waves outside of the hardcore LBP communities/PlayStation communities.

As for Days Gone, I get it branches into its own thing, but I am so sick of 3rd person games where you "hide in tall grass", "mark enemies", "distract with a thrown rock to disrupt the AI route", "hide in tall grass to escape enemies to reset their routes" gameplay

I absolutely hate stealth gameplay because the AI hasnt evolved for generations outside of "cinematic" additions like an AI calling out to his buddy. I hope games like Horizon really go deeper into the decision making, character/relationship building, etc. as opposed to being another TPS action game with RPG skill trees with NPC quests.

Im just personally wanting to see more perspectives I guess. Everybody looks and sounds the same too-- it annoys me to no end that characters in God of War have American accents like Atreus. I dont know, some of these games feel so "American" or share the same DNA in ways that I wish it would differentiate itself.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, not a fan at all. The cinematic third person story-driven adventure has become the Marvel of movies... I just got enough of those.

Good for them because those are selling well on every system, but I've grown tired of the formula and I am not interested anymore.

Oct 31, 2017
But ICO games are different from anything in this industry. Dreams isnt clicking for me, and I think unless they intend to allow creators to get paid thru donations, we wont see as much potential realized. Or at least allow players to make creations on PC using KBM. Everything I continue to see from Dreams looks "neat" but hardly "a game within a game". LBP's appeal was a strong SP component with likeable characters and customization and Dreams struggles with that and is hardly making waves outside of the hardcore LBP communities/PlayStation communities.

As for Days Gone, I get it branches into its own thing, but I am so sick of 3rd person games where you "hide in tall grass", "mark enemies", "distract with a thrown rock to disrupt the AI route", "hide in tall grass to escape enemies to reset their routes" gameplay

I absolutely hate stealth gameplay because the AI hasnt evolved for generations outside of "cinematic" additions like an AI calling out to his buddy. I hope games like Horizon really go deeper into the decision making, character/relationship building, etc. as opposed to being another TPS action game with RPG skill trees with NPC quests.

Im just personally wanting to see more perspectives I guess. Everybody looks and sounds the same too-- it annoys me to no end that characters in God of War have American accents like Atreus. I dont know, some of these games feel so "American" or share the same DNA in ways that I wish it would differentiate itself.

Dreams is more different than GenDesign games. In fact, stuff like that and Death Stranding are significantly different than most games I've ever played. I don't know what kind of waves to which you're referring, but my brother's 10 and 7 year old boys know about Dreams and asked for it for Christmas because a streamer they like has been playing it. They're hardly hardcore Playstation/LBP people; they don't even know what LBP is.

For Days Gone, there's quite a bit more to it than tall grass. The thrill of riding on your bike and just running into a horde and hauling ass away is one I won't forget anytime soon. xD

I also am not seeing things that look and sound the same? Deacon St John doesn't look like Kratos or Aloy or Peter Parker or Nathan Drake to me. tbh, I grew up with not too many big American games since so many at the time where DMC, MGS, Mario, Resident Evil, Tekken, Final Fantasy, etc. and we didn't have the same scope of American developers as we do now.

Horizon Zero Dawn, there's a great postmortem that Guerrilla did on it (many developers do them with other developers) and they talked about the RPG elements and melee gameplay. I can see a second game doubling down on RPG elements, improving human combat, making traversal varied and awesome, exploration, etc. Could be a GOAT contender of the gen if they expand on it in those ways.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a fan at all. The cinematic third person story-driven adventure has become the Marvel of movies... I just got enough of those.

Good for them because those are selling well on every system, but I've grown tired of the formula and I am not interested anymore.

Yup, I don't care for more wannabe cinematic movie games with an AAA budget. I know they sell really well, so I can't blame them for doing more, but I'd much rather take more Bloodborne, and Persona 5 types of experiences. Japanese games are essential for Sony for me, I hope to see Sony's change in attitude towards them this coming gen, but i'm not optimistic at all.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Your fault if you play Days Gone only that way xD

I mix stealth and offensive gameplay or set traps etc...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Was it ever in doubt.
Nice to here it from the new head of WWS though I guess.
Sony's exclusives are totally in tune with what I love about video games......they have a great combination of story telling,polish,gameplay and fun.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Isn't this exactly what Blue Point is doing?

No. BP has only worked on projects without altering their core fundamental frame work as it relates to level design, foe encounters, UI management, narratives etc. A reboot =/= neither remaster nor a remake (the latter is partially what SoTC was).

Games like Tomb Raider 2013, Wolfenstein TNO 2014, Doom 2016 and GoW 2018 are what I am alluding to when I mentioned resurrecting aforementioned IPs.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Their major games like God of War are only the natural evolution of action adventure games. This has the most consistently popular formula since the 8-Bit days. Cool character with cool moves & cool backstory, a nicely done set of challenging levels, the best graphics you can muster, and a big dollop of marketing. Vast chunks of people want this and always will. Including salty ones.

People genuinely not that interested exist. Like me. With that in mind, note the common sense: I can see the range of games is no more homogeneous than Tomb Raider to Red Dead to Assassin's Creed and I would have to try them before I really knew if I liked them. Secondly, it's plain to see that they make a ton more games than those ringers.

I really like wipeout, Astro bot, dreams, bloodborne and Gran Turismo. I hardly feel underserved. Sony is a big publisher now and they make many different types of games in a significant quantity. The centerpiece action adventure games are big because that will forever be a core genre in the wide world of games. The idea that sony studios can only make one type of game (one type that diminishes gameplay, no less) is a fairly transparent talking point.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. BP has only worked on projects without altering their core fundamental frame work as it relates to level design, foe encounters, UI management, narratives etc. A reboot =/= neither remaster nor a remake (the latter is partially what SoTC was).

Games like Tomb Raider 2013, Wolfenstein TNO 2014, Doom 2016 and GoW 2018 are what I am alluding to when I mentioned resurrecting aforementioned IPs.

I'm talking about their latest project which has been described as a reimagining of an older Sony title.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm talking about their latest project which has been described as a reimagining of an older Sony title.

Well, it is still in rumour land (Schrier is confident that it is DeS). As of right now no one knows how much will change from the OG game and who is supervising said change. If it is substantially different to affect the plot and other design elements in a substantive manner then perhaps, yes.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it is still in rumour land (Schrier is confident that it is DeS). As of right now no one knows how much will change from the OG game and who is supervising said change. If it is substantially different to affect the plot and other design elements in a substantive manner then perhaps, yes.

From the way Blue Point has talked about the project it sounds like it will be its own thing even if it's based on another older title. It does not sound like a straight graphical overhaul.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I miss when they made games like they used to make, with gameplay and fun at the core.

Their blockbuster titles always have top notch gameplay at the core. Just happens that they are better written and acted than 99% of other games out there so people parrot the 'cinematic' buzzword like it means anything.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
I can respect their position even if the lack of diversity of their portfolio is not very appealing to me (and before people cite every game in existence published by them, im just talking first party, mainly the ones that receive most of their support) if it is not broken, why change it? it is fairly obvious the type of games they make appeal to a very big segment of their audience and it is a working, even if a bit tired, formula.

Just wish they were more inventive outside of small projects that in no way relate to their main ips.

Oct 31, 2017
Their major games like God of War are only the natural evolution of action adventure games. This has the most consistently popular formula since the 8-Bit days. Cool character with cool moves & cool backstory, a nicely done set of challenging levels, the best graphics you can muster, and a big dollop of marketing. Vast chunks of people want this and always will. Including salty ones.

People genuinely not that interested exist. Like me. With that in mind, note the common sense: I can see the range of games is no more homogeneous than Tomb Raider to Red Dead to Assassin's Creed and I would have to try them before I really knew if I liked them. Secondly, it's plain to see that they make a ton more games than those ringers.

I really like wipeout, Astro bot, dreams, bloodborne and Gran Turismo. I hardly feel underserved. Sony is a big publisher now and they make many different types of games in a significant quantity. The centerpiece action adventure games are big because that will forever be a core genre in the wide world of games. The idea that sony studios can only make one type of game (one type that diminishes gameplay, no less) is a fairly transparent talking point.

I feel because their action-adventure and action RPGs (which Horizon is, even if it's light on it and there's plenty of room to REALLY bring out the RPG elements in a sequel) sell the best, there's a group who doesn't realize the breadth of what they've released. They're one of the most varied publishers.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprise, Sony is going to continue next gen what they've been massively successful doing this gen.

Oct 31, 2017
I can respect their position even if the lack of diversity of their portfolio is not very appealing to me (and before people cite every game in existence published by them, im just talking first party, mainly the ones that receive most of their support) if it is not broken, why change it? it is fairly obvious the type of games they make appeal to a very big segment of their audience and it is a working, even if a bit tired, formula.

Just wish they were more inventive outside of small projects that in no way relate to their main ips.

The ones they publish and own the IP to are first party, particularly since their pipeline helps make those games a reality (your Until Dawns, for example).

Even their own studios work heavily on that; they have one of the most diverse portfolios I can think of.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I think this is a smart thing to focus on, but it would be nice to see them diversify more often too. Can't argue that they're best in the business at what they do though.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Most of their "diverse" games are from first party studios like Japan, London, Media Molecule and Pixelopus.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit routine at this point. I'm tired of sad dad "mature" games that take place in open/semi open worlds. I'm glad Dreams and VR exist.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Big open worlds with sad/angry dads and a three branch skill tree and crafting at the core.
GOW and TLOU are not open world. Horizon has no angry dad. Uncharted not open world/no dad sim/no crafting. Days Gone, sad husband. The Last Guardian is unique. Then there are the first party games developed by external devs, which ofc are wildly varied. There's literally not a single Sony game doing these things you named all at once.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The only sad dads I can think of are Joel and Kratos, and the next game isn't even about Joel. Deacon, Aloy, Chloe, Ash, and Nathan Drake definitely aren't.

They're all player characters that follow plots that mimic your standard Hollywood blockbuster. It's pretty routine at this point. I'm not saying I dislike any of these titles—I'm just not particularly surprised anymore.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
GOW and TLOU are not open world. Horizon has no angry dad. Uncharted not open world/no dad sim/no crafting. Days Gone, sad husband. The Last Guardian is unique. Then there are the first party games developed by external publishers, which ofc are wildly varied. There's literally not a single Sony game doing these things you named all at once.
Yes it's a big Venn diagram with lots of overlaps in those areas, but no single game with all of them. I like Sony's AAA games and was just being a little glib about their commonalities.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
What do you mean by "the marvel of videogames"?
I mean they'd have a constant output of very high production quality titles that are increasingly homogenized and kinda lack in personality
Im not saying its a problem at the moment but could totally see it becoming one in the future. Most of their first party titles already have like 40% the same DNA:
3rd person action adventure, cutting edge realistic visuals, ton of setpieces, hyper serious emotional story, rarely innovating in the gameplay department...

Im not counting exclusives that do stand out like gravity rush or death stranding because I dont think they're part of Sony WWS(?). Even if they do, i feel like the article is talking about games like GOW, Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, days gone etc

I get it tho, they want to make games that appeal to a higher demographic and i just happed to not be part of their target audience. I just miss their old, more experimental self.