• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This also ignores all the stuff that doesn't look like GoW or TLoU... of which there are many.

I guess?

Tell me this...What do you imagine when you think UbiSoft?

Is it their tent-pole franchises like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, Rainbow Six, Division, Far Cry...or is it Valiant Hearts and Child of Light?

Which of those former games share a common DNA?

That's kinda what it feels like with Sony these days.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess?

Is it their tent-pole franchises like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, Rainbow Six, Division, Far Cry, or is it Valiant Hearts and Child of Light?

Considering Valiant Hearts and Child of Light came out in 2014 I'm not sure this example is nearly as strong as you think it is.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
God of War? Dreams? Gravity Daze? Astrobot? Gran Turismo Sport? Drive Club? Death Stranding? Concrete Genie? Medieval Remake? Bloodborne? Until Dawn? Detroit? The Last Guardian? MLB? Everybody's Golf?
C'mon and realize THEY'RE ALL THE SAME! Stop living in denial, they're all carbon copies! lol

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess?

Is it their tent-pole franchises like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, Rainbow Six, Division, Far Cry...or is it Valiant Hearts and Child of Light?

But again, that's you ignoring the rest or your mind blending that together. That's like saying Microsoft is just a halo gears and Forza company and ignoring the other stuff they do.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
But again, that's you ignoring the rest or your mind blending that together. That's like saying Microsoft is just a halo gears and Forza company and ignoring the other stuff they do.

Not really.

The entire premise of this thread is HH saying, "Sony WWS are very committed to games we've been making: big, spectacular experiences with story & characters at the core."

It's Sony's identity at this point. There's nothing wrong with is and it's found them major success this gen.

There's no reason for them to change course for the foreseeable future as long as AAA prestige gaming is a popular venture.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
God of War? Dreams? Gravity Daze? Astrobot? Gran Turismo Sport? Drive Club? Death Stranding? Concrete Genie? Medieval Remake? Bloodborne? Until Dawn? Detroit? The Last Guardian? MLB? Everybody's Golf?
Not good enough! My narrative is being busted, halp.

Seriously beyond the games you mentioned, I still vehemently deny that TLOU and GOW play anything alike. If GoW had no story and shittier graphics people wouldn't even associate it with the "tentpole Sony genres" even if the gameplay was identical to what it is. People can't separate production values from gameplay. I'm convinced its just trolls and people with an agenda for the most part.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
ImpressiveElatedComet-size_restricted.gif

Every time I see posts like yours I'm glad nobody like you is running PlayStation. Guarantee they wouldn't have made it to 25 years. Cinematic games and Sony's particular focus on them is one of the best things to happen within the video game industry. Now resume back into your bitter corner and play the Ouya.
Shiiiiit man. I forgot that thing even existed.

As for the whole "gameplay is the only thing that matters discussion. I find it absolutely ridiculous to think that. Gameplay is just one aspect, audio, story, music, lore, setting, visuals, design, art all play a role in how good a game is and how fun it is. Many examples were mentioned about story driven games with excellent gameplay. Suggesting that its either one or the other absurd

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I love Sony's first party output this gen and I'm glad they'll keep it going the next gen but I do miss their multiplayer shooters. Stuff like Warhawk, Killzone, MAG, and SOCOM were all great.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything that guy said, Sony couldn't have me more in the bag.

Big spectacular looking games with story and characters at it's core is all I ask.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I still hope he will green light the order 1886 sequal. The whole setup has soon many good things going for it seriously.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
The entire premise of this thread is HH saying, "Sony WWS are very committed to games we've been making: big, spectacular experiences with story & characters at the core."

The premise of the thread is a fairly long GIBiz interview, of which a choice quote designed to fire debate has been used in the thread title.

I mean this quote wouldn't fit in the OP:

Hermen said:
There has never been this diversity of experiences -- from massive AAA online games that explore future worlds, to deeply personal Indie projects that explore the human condition. As PlayStation, we need to provide a platform that includes all those different voices, all those different experiences.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What is wrong with their position on that? Granted I love RPGs, Sony exclusives and etc. I see their PoV as well

Because it honestly doesn't make sense to limit what games can or should be. Over the decades in gaming we've seen it become more and more diverse. No matter what you like you should be able to find some game that suits your tastes these days. Because of that we've seen more and more people start playing games. How's that ever a bad thing? Why would anyone ever want to limit that?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like music to my ears. I hope to see a bank heist/robbery/crime IP from Sony next gen in addition to something involved in espionage.

Bring on more Uncharted and God of War tho! I love it! Bring Chloe and Nadine back pls.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between not being a fan of games with a cinematic flare, and dismissive stuff like "if I wanted story and characters, i'd read a book". There seem to be some that really want to narrow what a game can actually be.
And acting like Sony doesn't do anything different.

Despite example after example being posted.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog had to come out and state they're going to make a multiplayer game after the incredibly negative reaction to it being dropped with TLoU2. Its coming and I'd be willing to bet it will be another multiplatform title.
But it's too narrative, 3rd person, over the shoulder, etc, etc. Not enough gameplay.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
sad but not suprised at the number of reactionary old farts who want to go back to the mythological good old days

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Dreams, Ratchet and Clank, Concrete Genie, Astro Boy, knack, LBP, entwined, hohokum, and more. It's not like they've been ignoring them this gen
Thanks for the list, I'll try to check those out too! I took a peek at Ratchet and Clank on the PS Store but ended up getting Tearaway Unfolded and Gravity Rush instead 'cause they were on sale. From what I understand those two are also first party titles although they originated on the Vita. In any case they're both good examples of the kind of games I find cute and appealing. It seems whenever someone brings up must-play Sony titles nowadays it's all about stuff like The Last of Us or God of War and while I understand most people are into that style it's just not the kind of games I can get excited about.