• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like HGC players were given no warning:

"My Life is In Shambles Now" - Pro Players Were Unprepared for the End of Heroes of the Storm Esports

"only found out today," says Joseph 'Nabby' Magdaong who coached esports organization Dignitas' Heroes of the Storm team. Dignitas was a top-performing esports team in Heroes and, according to them, a team that ended their Heroes of the Storm career as the second most successful team of all time in the esport. Surely if any team were to get a head's up from Blizzard it would have been one from the top tier. But, "like most the [Heroes of the Storm] community this news only got to me on the same day," says Magdaong.

Unlike Magdaong who worked for an established Heroes of the Storm, Lauber was kicked from a Heroes of the Storm team after the last phase in 2018 and worked his way up through the game's amateur Open Division with a new team. At the end of this open season the top performing amateur team has a chance to replace the bottom performing Heroes of the Storm team not unlike the Premier League system in European football.
Lauber and his team won and were ready to play in next year's season which Lauber believed to be in the works considering Blizzard reached out to him after his qualifying finals. "[Blizzard] asked us for information and stuff, then I had some follow up questions that they said they would get answers [to] me soon but never did," says Lauber. This was sometime in October 2018, just two months ago. After that it was "basically radio silence."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad news, HotS was my most played game of 2015-2017 and I had a great time for most of it! Decking out my favorite hero in a sweet custom get-up and kicking ass with my team in quick play always put a smile on my face.

After a few years of almost daily play I started having burnout - think it was around when Blaze released. One curious problem that I personally had with the direction of the game was the steady churning out of new heroes and I simply got tired of learning each one and adjusting to constant hero changes. It didn't help that new heroes like Whitemane, Yrel or Deckard just didn't call out to me at all. If things slow down a bit from a development point of view, this might be a blessing in disguise for me. Cancellation of the official tournaments really stings.
One of the designers posting over in the gaming side threads mentioned he heard from that the primary issue w/ HOTS was that they had massive issues with player retention, and that rang true to me as well.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
News is terrible. Hots is the only multi player game I play frequently. I assume a large portion of the player base will leave after this news......

Curious what are thoughts on how much Blizz will support the game going forward ? I understand no more pro players or tournaments or new characters. But what about new skins and just leaving the servers up for years to come? or are we talking about Blizz pulling down the servers in 2019 ?

Oct 26, 2017
The servers will be live for the foreseeable future, I think. I doubt Blizzard is really gonna pull the plug on this altogether. The servers for Diablo 2 and 3 are still running. I think HOTS will be fine in that regard.

In terms of future updates, we'll probably see something like 3-5 heroes next year, with a bunch of skins trickled in. No new maps.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the designers posting over in the gaming side threads mentioned he heard from that the primary issue w/ HOTS was that they had massive issues with player retention, and that rang true to me as well.

Me too. I love the game but I've not played now in many months. My largest problem with the game is a lack of progression, it just feels like I need to buy a stimpack in order to get decent rewards from playing. I don't mind buying cosmetics and I own a lot, but needing to buy XP boosters just doesn't sit well with me and its soured me on playing.

Sad to hear the news, I was hoping for the game to get better over time, not put into maintenance mode.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the whole situation but HOTS is in such great shape design shape that I think it'll be okay. I don't even know if the playerbase agrees with me on that, but I love how it's improved over time since i started playing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kaeo Milker statement-

Yesterday, we announced a difficult decision—the HGC will not be returning in 2019 and we'll be transitioning some Heroes of the Storm developers to our other game teams. While our extended Blizzard family working on World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch, and our unannounced projects will be getting an influx of much-needed, extremely talented Heroes devs to help them achieve their goals, it also means that we'll need to change the cadence of support for Heroes going forward.

So, I'm sad. I'm sad because I love this team and this game that we've built together, with all of you, and this past year has been such a great one for Heroes of the Storm. The HGC had its best year yet and I was so looking forward to the 2019 season. On the game side, we've had a steady stream of some of the most sought-after heroes, amazing themed events, and impactful reworks. We also made meaningful progress on improving core systems and features across the game. We truly hit our stride in 2018, so I'm disappointed that some of the exciting plans we had for 2019 will have to change.

But all is not lost. The team that remains dedicated to Heroes of the Storm is a veritable Who's Who of developers who have been driving every facet of the game from the very beginning—from people you know and have seen speak publicly about the game for years, to those who have poured their hearts into it from behind the scenes. In short, we're continuing to develop the game with an incredible team that has the experience and passion required to support Heroes of the Storm well into the future.

The Heroes of the Storm team and I also have a unique opportunity to rethink things and reprioritize. Because now more than ever, our charge is to focus on taking care of you, our players, and to channel all our energy into keeping the game dynamic and fun. This means we're still committed to regular hero reworks, themed events, and even new heroes. We're setting our sights on the new goals and timelines for what we want to do with the game from here on out and we're eager to share those plans as soon as they're finalized.

So, I'm also excited. I'm excited for my teammates to bring their hard-won experience from making this game to the other teams at Blizzard to help their games be even better. And I'm especially excited for Heroes of the Storm to continue evolving with a renewed focus and purity of purpose.

Thank you for joining us on the journey so far, and please bear with us through these changes. Your feedback is as critical as ever, and continues to guide our priorities and decisions while helping us be better along the way.
Thank you,

Kaéo
New maps are dead, no surprise there.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably too late, but mod tools so that the community could make new maps would have given the game legs beyond blizzard's official support.

Given that it's based off the SCII engine I guess it might still be a possibility.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem I had with HOTS is that the newer heroes always felt like they made an older hero irrelevant.

That kind of power creep isn't healthy, you shouldn't feel like you're going to be worse because you only have Vala and not Hanzo

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Kaeo Milker statement-

New maps are dead, no surprise there.

New maps have been an absolute waste of investment in every possible respect. I actually believe they harm the game because players cannot learn the strategies for 12 maps at once.

It's one thing that always frustrated me - new maps, and reworking dead maps, was obviously a huge commitment of resources but it had basically zero impact on the game. Even if you loved the new map you'd only play it 10% of the time at best.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Life can definitely throw you curveballs, but this could have been handled better. Blizzard doesn't usually drop the ball with stuff like this.

You're assuming Blizzard is the one making the calls. I'm convinced the company has gone full blown Activission with it's recent behavior and decision making. I'm sure Morhaime saw the signs and dipped.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Reading up on some reactions to the esports part, yeah, Blizzard definitely lost the last bit of respect I might have had for them. (Not there was much left)

If it wasn't clear before, everything Blizzard likes to claim about themselves, how they care about players, communities and esports was thrown out of the window for good.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I never said it was charity on blizzard's part. They should still be grateful that blizzard enabled it to happen, not cussing them for taking it away.
they aren't cussing them for taking it away but in the fashion it was done. Many of them had realistic expectations of down sizing / cutting costs and eventual discontinuation.

It's not like these people were doing nothing since the end of HGC 2018 over 40 days ago, they were working on their future, a future blizzard somehwat assured them. There was a competition to get into it next year, the team that got in even had a respectable sponsor.
Many of the organizations that stuck to hots, which there weren't many of, called out blizzards unprofessionalism in how they went about it.

If you follow and read the tweets you'll find they are all overall positive on the people they worked w/, the experiences they've made and more.

And it's not like Blizzard has another game they can easily switch over to that could cost them for cussing them.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salary for the year was ~40K for the pro players. Paying 3 months severance to anyone affected by this is the right thing to do, it'll cost them, but they can afford it.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I never said it was charity on blizzard's part. They should still be grateful that blizzard enabled it to happen, not cussing them for taking it away.
Tomorrow your boss fires you, effective immediately, at no fault of your own, and with no severance — and the company is doing great, they just want to focus on other things so they discard you. You're grateful?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Salary for the year was ~40K for the pro players. Paying 3 months severance to anyone affected by this is the right thing to do, it'll cost them, but they can afford it.
Yeah something along the lines was the bare minimum of humanity that should have been displayed.

Won't quit hots right away but I will be f2p going forward in heroes and hearthstone. I wasn't a whale but over the last couple years I've spent several hundred euros on these games.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
HOTS was the only MOBA I enjoyed. It was dumbed down, games were relatively short, I liked the map variety and games were focused on brawling.

Though I started to like it less when all the newer heroes were complex and even the reworks of simple heroes like Sylvannas and Raynor made them more mechanically difficult.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shame, I had some great moments in this game playing with friends, but I was always really on and off about it, the game just didn't seem to have anything to promote retention. That and some typical blizzard balancing and unnecessary gameplay changes.

Still, it was by an insanely large margin, my favorite moba. RIP.

That's life. They should be grateful they had this amazing opportunity that most people never will, not cussing them out because the opportunity ended.

lmao what is this bootlicking shit.

Vegeta

Nov 10, 2017
Been playing since tech alpha, this is the game that i basically play. It's sad what the outcome is.

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow your boss fires you, effective immediately, at no fault of your own, and with no severance — and the company is doing great, they just want to focus on other things so they discard you. You're grateful?

Yeah, at least publicly/outwardly, because that's what it is to be a professional, respectful person. Blizzard created this game, this entire sport of HOTS; they made it all possible. Hell yeah, I'd be grateful if I were in their shoes.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
He doesn't think playing games for 40 plus hours a week to be the best and compete is work. The mental work some games do is quite exhausting. Especially even after just 3 hours in one day

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't think playing games for 40 plus hours a week to be the best and compete is work. The mental work some games do is quite exhausting. Especially even after just 3 hours in one day

You don't think I know what it's like to work hard at something? Or does that for some reason justify you to act however you want? I never said it's easy. So your comment makes no sense.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When i came in for the OW crossover event for skins, i could sorta feel that this game was not one for long support...

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think I know what it's like to work hard at something? Or does that for some reason justify you to act however you want? I never said it's easy. So your comment makes no sense.

Neither do your comments - at all. At the very least they show you're completely ignorant of how actual employment works, and the worse you're an idiot.

Blizzard just sacked 150 + people who they told they would be employing next year. 10 days before Christmas. After stonewalling them for *months* and leading them to believe everything was fine.

That's the behaviour of a shitty, bad employer regardless of what industry you're in. To be claiming that people should be *grateful* to blizzard after being fucked over in that way is just staggering. In no other job would anyone try to defend blizzards behaviour here.

OP
OP
Mayordolo

Mayordolo

Oct 25, 2017
The matchmaking long wait time in qm is still depressing ...

We've not really had any issues with it since the event came out. Feel like they ironed out something in it, maybe that's part of the "expanded" message you get so quickly now.

Are you queuing as one of the three main roles, or characters outside of those roles? Seems that like in WoW/other MMO's tanking or having a tank in your group is the fastest manner of finding games. Beyond that we haven't seen much play either way picking heals or not in a duo.

Milly79

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neither do your comments - at all. At the very least they show you're completely ignorant of how actual employment works, and the worse you're an idiot.

Blizzard just sacked 150 + people who they told they would be employing next year. 10 days before Christmas. After stonewalling them for *months* and leading them to believe everything was fine.

That's the behaviour of a shitty, bad employer regardless of what industry you're in. To be claiming that people should be *grateful* to blizzard after being fucked over in that way is just staggering. In no other job would anyone try to defend blizzards behaviour here.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
You're assuming Blizzard is the one making the calls. I'm convinced the company has gone full blown Activission with it's recent behavior and decision making. I'm sure Morhaime saw the signs and dipped.
Blizzard is activision, activision is blizzard. Why do people act as if they aren't the same thing? This happened a long time ago.

Oct 25, 2017

You can state your OPINION in a way that is not disrespectful and insulting. Buzz off with this calling me an idiot bullshit over an internet forum.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
You can state your OPINION in a way that is not disrespectful and insulting. Buzz off with this calling me an idiot bullshit over an internet forum.

You're literally saying that people who just got fired should be grateful for being employed in the first place. And that despite blizzard treating them in an appallingly shitty manner they shouldn't say anything negative in response apart from thanks to the people fucking them over. I mean, what they've done might not actually be legal in the EU but who cares about that, we have to be polite!

Civility and use of the word 'idiot' on an internet gaming forum is the real issue here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You're literally saying that people who just got fired should be grateful for being employed in the first place. And that despite blizzard treating them in an appealingly shitty manner they shouldn't say anything negative in response apart from thanks to the people fucking them over. I mean, what they've done might not actually be legal in the EU but who cares about that, we have to be polite!

But yeah sure. Civility and use of the word 'idiot' on an internet gaming forum is the real issue here.

I don't work for Blizzard, so stop misdirecting your anger. I see you talking over discord.

"
I also suspect he thinks they just got paid to play a game once a week

rather than the fact its a full time job
"

Stop acting like you know something about me, that you clearly do not. I did nothing to you to deserve your anger. Grow the fuck up.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean

Yeah basically. "I don't care about the legitimacy of the grievance, they should've been nicer/more professional/less vocal about it!" is pretty classic defense forcery.

Yeah, except that's bullshit. I stated an opinion that is clearly unpopular and ya'll just want to pile on, twist my words, and that doesn't change shit about the situation but if it makes you feel better, okay.

OP
OP
Mayordolo

Mayordolo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, except that's bullshit. I stated an opinion that is clearly unpopular and ya'll just want to pile on, twist my words, and that doesn't change shit about the situation but if it makes you feel better, okay.

I don't think anyone twisted anything.

You're saying the upset pros should take it better despite the fact they got led on (along with all the rest of us, I might add) that their job was secure for next year. All while discounting the circumstances around their sudden unemployment, the manner in which it was delivered, and last but not least the age range and job experience of said players (aka very young and probably nothing out of retail/fast food). They aren't exactly fully developed adults in many cases.

It's just a weird hill to make a stand on.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone twisted anything.

You're saying the upset pros should take it better despite the fact they got led on (along with all the rest of us, I might add) that their job was secure for next year. All while discounting the circumstances around their sudden unemployment, the manner in which it was delivered, and last but not least the age range and job experience of said players (aka very young and probably nothing out of retail/fast food). They aren't exactly fully developed adults in many cases.

It's just a weird hill to make a stand on.

Hell yes it has happened. People are also adding in facts and assumptions about what I said or what I know. Some people assuming I have no clue what it takes to be a pro player, assuming I not recognizing the bad situation they're in, that I think the way they were fired is swell or otherwise negligible, or have no sympathy for the situation they find themselves in. I never said they can't say anything negative in response, that's bullshit. People have the freedom to say whatever is on their minds, if they feel they've been wronged, go for it. If they think blizzard broke the law, okay act on that. I don't think Blizzard handled the situation in a very effective manner. But they should still be grateful because blizzard literally created this sport for them to play in.

Ya'll want to conflate my opinion that professional sports players should act better to be something it simply isn't.

I also want to point out that it's funny that someone makes the analogy that the company is doing great. The stock price is down by like 40% over the last 3~ months. Isn't HOTS it's weakest earner? Why wouldn't they shift resources to future projects?

And another note is that these players don't work for Blizzard, at least based on that article posted earlier where they're saying blizzard only provides the game, venue, prizes, etc..

I think one thing we can maybe agree on is that HOTS esports was heading down this road. They apparently never got big enough. It could have been big. Blizzard provided that opportunity. I am not saying they were perfect either. HOTS is a pretty good success story despite this, I think, considering the fact that they originally set out to only make a mod for sc2. Sucks that they couldn't get the player retention or get it to be a major esport. I am not excusing how they handled the situation. I don't even know all the facts here, just what an article or two has said about the situation.