• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to post the ranked league changes from the PTR notes, anyway I gather they are live to the actual game today, along with the role overhaul and lootbox changes.

https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/...orm-live-patch-notes-march-26-2019-2019-3-26/
Storm League
  • Hero League and Team League have been merged into a single ranked queue: Storm League.
  • Players must have 16 or more Heroes available and account level 50 or above to queue for Storm League.
  • Additional Details
    • Players can choose their preferred roles in the Ranked menu, so other team members can understand their play style.
    • Players can see party members' win count under their rank badges on the Storm League queue screen.
    • The starting Matchmaking Rating (MMR) in Storm League will be seeded from the player's last known Hero League or Team League MMR (whichever is greater). The resulting value will then be clamped within a certain range to reel-in outliers.
    • Players will be prevented from queuing up in Storm League as a party together if their rank difference is more than 2 leagues apart.
      • There is a tooltip available to indicate this.
      • Exception: For players in a party of 5, any member outside the party's League spread maximum will not be counted toward matchmaking requirements.
      • Exception: Players who have not yet placed are able to play with anyone.
    • Leaderboards have been updated to reflect Storm League.

I would have loved a new map with this theme, but I'm just happy they're still supporting the game. Lots of positive changes, poking around the menu today I discovered you can buy shards with gold. My single player backlog is gonna suffer in a world where you can get any cosmetic by grinding.

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I HATE new Chromie. Her damage numbers are sooooooooooooooo low and she feels worthless since her Q is blocked by every god damn thing in existence.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

Kevin leaving Blizzard so soon after being reassigned is pretty sad.

Hots from what I can tell has been doing mostly fine but the slower cadence of releases is really kicking in right now.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kevin leaving Blizzard so soon after being reassigned is pretty sad.

Hots from what I can tell has been doing mostly fine but the slower cadence of releases is really kicking in right now.

I've heard Blizzard lowballs people pretty badly playing off their name/rep, which being on a project you love can mitigate, but won't do it if you get reassigned to something you don't.

Oct 26, 2017
Just now getting back into Heroes with a friend. I played maybe a year ago last time. Am I crazy, or is Sgt. Hammer pretty garbage now? I feel like tons of things outrange me, even with my talent to increase range, but more than that...my damage output feels pathetic. Even with bonus damage against heroes and attack speed, I feel like I do hardly any damage. I need to start playing around with new heroes, I suppose.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just now getting back into Heroes with a friend. I played maybe a year ago last time. Am I crazy, or is Sgt. Hammer pretty garbage now? I feel like tons of things outrange me, even with my talent to increase range, but more than that...my damage output feels pathetic. Even with bonus damage against heroes and attack speed, I feel like I do hardly any damage. I need to start playing around with new heroes, I suppose.
Hammer is much better now than she was before. Better defensive options and such... can be a huge nuisance in specific comps and maps.

Oct 26, 2017
Hammer is much better now than she was before. Better defensive options and such... can be a huge nuisance in specific comps and maps.
I guess I need to practice her more defensively then. I just about never go defensive in my build. Maybe I'll poke around online and look for build recommendations for her. Try something different.

Any suggestion on a healer? I love playing support and healing. I have Ana. Looking to try someone new though. I want to be as heal-y and annoying as possible.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I need to practice her more defensively then. I just about never go defensive in my build. Maybe I'll poke around online and look for build recommendations for her. Try something different.

Any suggestion on a healer? I love playing support and healing. I have Ana. Looking to try someone knew though. I want to be as heal-y and annoying as possible.
Ana is a top tier healer or at least was top tier healer as of patch before the one that got released this week (still probably top tier healer).

Most healers are generally pretty good like Malfurion, Tyrande, Brightwing, Lucio, Stukov, Whitemane etc.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised at how bitter I am over how Blizzard treated this game. From the disastrous Heroes 2.0 which changed nothing about the game but tried to lure in whales with loot boxes, to the sudden and extreme termination and almost excessive way they made sure we all knew it was dead. Long gone is the company that released patches for Diablo 3 years after it had stopped selling for no profit.

I've gone from a blizzard fanboy of 25 years to utterly non interested in their products.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised at how bitter I am over how Blizzard treated this game. From the disastrous Heroes 2.0 which changed nothing about the game but tried to lure in whales with loot boxes, to the sudden and extreme termination and almost excessive way they made sure we all knew it was dead. Long gone is the company that released patches for Diablo 3 years after it had stopped selling for no profit.

I've gone from a blizzard fanboy of 25 years to utterly non interested in their products.
I am in the same boat to be honest, though I still enjoy playing HOTS from time to time. But long gone are the days where I invest a large amount of my time and money into Blizzard games, they will get treated as how Blizzard wants them to be... as casual affairs you play ever so often and not to be taken too seriously.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, is a Discipline Priest class so is that or a hibrid dps/healer like Whitemaine, weird choice since BfA anduin still dont have the chance to use any ability to inspire a new kit

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a youtuber that shoutcasts high level play for this game? Trying to get into it now that it's dead and i used to like watching high level Starcraft 2 years ago. Thanks.

OmegaSkittle

Apr 25, 2018
I like to fit in a few matches here and there against max level AI. Scratches the MOBA itch without having to worry about playing well if I don't want to.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I have played only a few games since Blizzard announced they were screwing over the e-sport players shortly after ensuring them there would be another official season. I never watch esports, but this decision really killed my interest in the game for some reason.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I have played only a few games since Blizzard announced they were screwing over the e-sport players shortly after ensuring them there would be another official season. I never watch esports, but this decision really killed my interest in the game for some reason.
I still follow a lot of them and one of them had an anxiety attack recently because of that.

A nicer story is that Zaelia (ex Dignitas) and YoDa (idk what team he was last on) ended up playing for Method in the Mythic Dungeon Invitational and world first attempts for raids.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This summer event has gotten me playing again, but only AI until I complete all the quests (the 400,000 healing one already takes too long when you win each game).

Even I have been surprised with how slow the content drip has been, especially the heroes, and you have to remember this is *with* a backlog of several heroes already finished. I'm 50/50 on them announcing all development will end on the game after Blizzcon. The fact that you can repeat this event's final quests for free lootboxes for the next 2 months tells me we're so very near the end.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
This summer event has gotten me playing again, but only AI until I complete all the quests (the 400,000 healing one already takes too long when you win each game).

Even I have been surprised with how slow the content drip has been, especially the heroes, and you have to remember this is *with* a backlog of several heroes already finished. I'm 50/50 on them announcing all development will end on the game after Blizzcon. The fact that you can repeat this event's final quests for free lootboxes for the next 2 months tells me we're so very near the end.

Rumor is they basically laid off or transfered most of the HOTS staff to other projects and a skeleton crew is bascially trickling out the remaining assets that were made before Blizzard dropped a bomb on HOTS.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the devs I'm following all post about their new projects now seeing the light of day.
Makes me happy though when I see their work recognized in other franchises like now Brightwing getting added to HS

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I still play regularly on my own and with many of my friends, especially during events. It's even precluded me from getting anywhere in Destiny 2.

Also went to the trouble of doing my ranked placements for the first time in a long while.

I've been trying to learn DOTA2 on the side though. (I've been spectating pro games for ages, but this years battle pass terrain is actually good.)

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I dove deep into HotS again for a while recently and had a blast, but now I'm playing the new WoW patch, Rise of Azshara. HotS Queue times were very healthy still just a few days ago. This game is far from dead. :)

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So, it appears there might be a new hero joining the Nexus, and people are speculating it could be an original character:

jul-28-teaser.jpg

Out of curiosity, did the people here like or dislike Orphea? She is one of my favorite heroes, but the subreddit seems to hate her and the idea of another original hero.

P.S.: Since the character in the pic is dark-skinned, of course the subreddit has its share of racist comments.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
So, it appears there might be a new hero joining the Nexus, and people are speculating it could be an original character:

jul-28-teaser.jpg

Out of curiosity, did the people here like or dislike Orphea? She is one of my favorite heroes, but the subreddit seems to hate her and the idea of another original hero.

P.S.: Since the character in the pic is dark-skinned, of course the subreddit has its share of racist comments.

Mechanically Orphea is one of my favorite characters in the game. The fact that she isn't related to a different Blizzard series doesn't bother me at all either.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

jul-28-teaser.jpg

I could have sworn there was an interview after the release of Orphea in which they stated they had no plans for more Nexus original characters, and it would be years away if ever again.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I could have sworn there was an interview after the release of Orphea in which they stated they had no plans for more Nexus original characters, and it would be years away if ever again.
Yeah, that's what some people are saying, that it can't be a new hero so it is probably an event. I don't have high hopes for an original hero, but I think it would be awesome if it were. I was just curious really to know what was the general sentiment towards Orphea.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what some people are saying, that it can't be a new hero so it is probably an event. I don't have high hopes for an original hero, but I think it would be awesome if it were. I was just curious really to know what was the general sentiment towards Orphea.

I don't think anyone really cares that much about Orphea being Nexus-original anymore. There was a fair bit of negative sentiment about it when she was unveiled at Blizzcon because a) Blizzcon seemed like a weird place to show her off, rather than a beloved character from their existing franchises and b) we were used to having 2-4 heroes unveiled at Blizzcon, not just 1.

She probably has legitimately the best ability art and effects in the game, and I think that quieted down some of the objections. And then the killing of the esports division and moving all those devs off of HotS happened and the fans had bigger things to worry about in the future of HotS.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think her character is very original for being an original character. She's female Alucard. Her dad is 'dracula' and she's rebelling against him. Even shares a gothic artstyle/theme.

It was kind of the most boring route they could have gone with if they wanted a character related to a level announcer.

It's really rough trying to keep playing this game on the regular without the regular 6 week injection of a new character and its been ages since we've had a new level...

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think her character is very original for being an original character. She's female Alucard. Her dad is 'dracula' and she's rebelling against him. Even shares a gothic artstyle/theme.

It was kind of the most boring route they could have gone with if they wanted a character related to a level announcer.

It's really rough trying to keep playing this game on the regular without the regular 6 week injection of a new character and its been ages since we've had a new level...

I don't think we'll ever get another map. The words about what developed content was still to come in the current state of HotS was very careful - they mentioned balance changes, reworks, skins, events, and 'even new heroes'. Maps were never mentioned.