• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I Elope?

• Yay

Votes: 75 94.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So Era, my fiance and I have been engaged for some time now. And... Boy the cost of weddings are ridiculous. I mean, with what my family wants for a wedding it would cost close to 10K, and it would be a backyard wedding! And that amount of money, for a single party is ridiculous for myself and my fiance. So, we have actually talked about eloping.

It turns out, there are a ton of elopement packages, and it turns out we can get married, and have a week long honeymoon for around 5,000. And boy that sounds so nice. No pressures, no weird things family(family relationships are tense across the board), and no huge financial strain that will put us in debt. Plus, a year later, when the wedding date is "planned", we can just throw an amazing party for 1/5 the cost. We will get to throw a party for our loved ones.

A lot of people say though, that eloping is "selfish" or it negates family. Or all that sort of stuff. So I wanted to hear your opinions on the subject, or if you had anything to add. What are your experiences with marriage, or eloping, or all that stuff?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to elope, especially due to finances and the stress involved in planning an expensive wedding, then by all means go for it. You're not beholden to anyone. I do recommend having a little party sometime down the road to celebrate it with the people you love, but you're in no way obligated to have a wedding if that isn't what you and your partner want. Elope, enjoy it, and then plan a party for another time.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It you cant get it done on a low price (min and my wifes was 4k) then yeah just elope. Book a holiday and do it out there. The family will be pissed but they're gonna have to get over it it lose both of you.

Dec 6, 2017
US
As someone who had the big ass wedding for way too much money...

It's a great memory, it was a great party but if I had to do it again, I'd go with eloping and then having a private party for immediate family when we got back at someone's house or something along the lines. It was a fucking lot in every regard.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
A lot of people say though, that eloping is "selfish" or it negates family. Or all that sort of stuff. So I wanted to hear your opinions on the subject, or if you had anything to add. What are your experiences with marriage, or eloping, or all that stuff?

No one's entitled to get anything out of the relationship between you and your partner because it's your relationship, not your families.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Eloping isn't selfish. A marriage is to be enjoyed by the two people getting wed.

Go off, save some money and have some fun.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who had the big ass wedding for way too much money...

It's a great memory, it was a great party but if I had to do it again, I'd go with eloping and then having a private party for immediate family when we got back at someone's house or something along the lines. It was a fucking lot in every regard.
Our wedding was fairly small and cost efficient and even with that....I would elope and have a small party just like you (My wife agrees as well).

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
do what you and your fiance want, but you should know, SOMEBODY is gonna be upset. It might be entirely unjustified and wrong for them to be upset, but, they are gonna be upset.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Elope and have a reception when you get back.
This. My wife and I did something like this through a very circuitous route but it worked. We got officially married in a cigar bar with friends (one was ordained). Then we had a little ceremony 2 weeks later with just parents/siblings/one grandparent (the rest have passed), where we got dressed up and had a professional photographer. Then we had a party where she's from a month later, and a month after that we had a party where I'm from. It was great, and it would have been miserable trying to combine them all into one.

Don't let anyone tell you it's selfish. I felt bad about potentially leaving my parents out, so that's why we did a little ceremony, but you don't owe a huge wedding to like, your second cousins.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Nobody wishes they spent more money on their wedding.

We got married at City Hall and just had a party the next day. Wouldn't do it any other way.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I would be firm with your families that this is your wedding, this is your budget, and you are going to do it your way and have that wedding for 1/5th the price so they can be involved. You'd be surprised how long a mother can carry hurt in her heart over not getting to see her child get married.

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
My wife and I just went to the Justice of the Peace one day. Just us. That's what it's about. My brother was upset after the fact because "you have to" have a big whatever and say vows in front of family and God and whatever else. Forget that. It's about you two. Period.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
All my friends who've gotten married all said eloping and a small reception later should have been the way to go.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Eloping would be good if your family didn't approve or wouldn't go anyway. But if they would want to go there are ways to include them. You can still do a very cheap wedding. My wife and I got married in Vegas. Nothing fancy at all. Our close family and a couple friends came, the actual wedding was only like 30 minutes, then we all got to hang out in Vegas for a couple days. The whole wedding was less than $1500. The family still talks about how it was their favorite wedding ever.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You don't have to elope, just have the wedding you two want. Unless your family (assume parents?) are partial to putting on bitter frowns when they don't get their own way, then elope and don't let them ruin your wedding.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
My two cents, don't spend 10k on a wedding just because your family wants to. Don't spend 10k on a weeding at all really.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Do what you and your wife want, that's ultimately what matters most.

My sister in law and her husband dropped around $20k on their wedding (with a quarter paid for by the husbands family). My wife and I saw that and said fuck that noise.

We invited our parents, my niece, 2 brother in laws, and my sister in law to our small wedding. Went to a local garden, had my brother in law marry us, then went to brunch at the garden. Couple hours, spent around maybe $300ish with entrance fees and the food bill, nigh zero stress. it was perfect for us.

Do what you guys want.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
How is a wedding in your backyard that expensive? We wed at Oshkosh air show and it was not that expensive. Granted it was not a huge wedding, just close relatives and a few friends. It was fun though and people really enjoyed it.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
"what my family wants"

Are they paying for it? No? Then it doesn't matter what they want.

My wife and I had to really put some close family members in their place while planning our wedding, for some reason everyone goes insane and gets pushy for weddings. We wanted a wedding so we persevered and planned what we actually wanted but if you don't, just go to the courthouse and sign some papers then if you want to involve family, host a generic family 'get-together' and be all "surprise we're married, celebrate with us"

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
You can have a good cheap wedding. Have it between 1pm-4pm. No meals expected, also no one expects an open bar. Have the ceremony at a small local church and only invite close friends/family. That's what my wife and I did.

That being said, her sister eloped without telling anyone. That didn't go well and some people are still holding grudges (Including her). If the purpose of the eloping is to save money, great. If it's to hide the relationship, prepare for some heartache.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do it. Do it and don't even think about it.

If your fiance is down for it and you are too, DO NOT let anyone else tell you to do otherwise. This is about you two. It's your family's job to support what makes YOU happy, not the other way around. Especially when you're the one paying.

You can have a good cheap wedding. Have it between 1pm-4pm. No meals expected, also no one expects an open bar. Have the ceremony at a small local church and only invite close friends/family. That's what my wife and I did.

That being said, her sister eloped without telling anyone. That didn't go well and some people are still holding grudges (Including her). If the purpose of the eloping is to save money, great. If it's to hide the relationship, prepare for some heartache.

This guy gets it. Eloping and doing a small cheap ceremony that is intimate with loved ones is great. Doing so to hide it from others is not good.

If they don't support your decision, then they should be the ones paying for a bigger wedding.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Talk to your fiance and ask what they want and discuss what you want as well and go from there. If your family wants all that, they can pay for it and that's okay too.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a couple has to throw a party for their families and friends is so incredibly entitled.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
You should do what the two of you want. If that's eloping, then do that. Your parents can always throw you a party if they want to celebrate with a bigger group.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Have you considered that maybe your family would at least like to attend? There's nothing wrong with a cheap wedding. Talk to them about it first and say that's what you two want. I'm sure if you bring that up, they will back down on their requests for an expensive wedding and work with you two more. That's what my husband and I did and everything worked out fine. If we eloped without his parents attending, they would have been heartbroken.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I have friends in this dilemma, especially because one side of the family wants it in one home country, and the other wants it in the other... They want something cheap and low-key but also don't want to piss off their families :/ Stuff like that can really get MORE confusing, and it sounds like they decided to have something small locally (but will most likely go visit their family in their respective countries for dinner or something at some point). Destination weddings can also be tough on the guests, too.

Takes the fun out when the parents want the big elaborate celebration more than the people planning it :x

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Me and my fiancé are doing this. We are just going somewhere, getting married, and coming back and just tell people we got married. We ain't doing receptions or anything. Just us.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So Era, my fiance and I have been engaged for some time now. And... Boy the cost of weddings are ridiculous. I mean, with what my family wants for a wedding it would cost close to 10K, and it would be a backyard wedding! And that amount of money, for a single party is ridiculous for myself and my fiance. So, we have actually talked about eloping.

It turns out, there are a ton of elopement packages, and it turns out we can get married, and have a week long honeymoon for around 5,000. And boy that sounds so nice. No pressures, no weird things family(family relationships are tense across the board), and no huge financial strain that will put us in debt. Plus, a year later, when the wedding date is "planned", we can just throw an amazing party for 1/5 the cost. We will get to throw a party for our loved ones.

If your family isn't paying for it, why would they have any say? Either way, do what you want.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP do what you want. Avoid the stress, be happy. Your families will eventually understand and if they don't, they don't get this isn't about them but what about what you two want.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
In your case it sounds like you should absolutely do an elopement. It's supposed to be about you all as a couple so do what makes you happy.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I managed to dodge this by having the wedding in a Registry office in the morning and booking a flight to my wife's country the same day that meant we had to leave at 2PM to catch the flight. No time for a big party and reception, no extended releatives were going to travel to just the wedding part for the morning without the free party and expected paid hotels.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with it. You should do what you and your fiance want. Weddings are super expensive.