• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Vince Dicola's Transformers music has the distinction of being equally influential among Japanese, European and American game composers alike. Nothing feels quite as blatant as this one though (that isn't just note for note plagiarism like Turrican C64)

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how much this counts but several songs from the original Wild Arms were basically plagiarized from Ennio Morricone's western movie music.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This doesn't exactly fit the thread, yeah, this was super blatant for me. I remember the ridiculous defense force,

"She doesn't NEED to plagiarize"

But like bruh

They sound the same. Same genre, same vibe and choir. There's just no way Skyrim wasn't on the mind.

I think you mean Hydrean's Wrath, the piece that plays when fighting the Leviathan:

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
There is a song in one of the pokemon games, I think it was diamond and pearl, don't really remember, but it sounds exactly as "You've got to hide your love away" by the beatles.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Earthbound is pretty well known for its musical references and sampling.

There's actually a very good video about the sampling shenanigans

Special mention to the track "The Hill that Time Forgot", that track is incredibly unsettling.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

God Dammit, that's going to be stuck in my head all day now (I freaking love this intro)
I was going to bring up Doom, but I can't remember exactly what songs were "inspired" by what. Someone remembers...
edit: Ah, it's in post 37

Yeah. Kenji Yamamoto lost his job as a result of the blantant plagiarism. He was becoming the go to guy for Dragon Ball music before shit went south for him.

It seemed like everyone knew about it but didn't care until he started ripping off like Terminator movies and Avatar (the movie) rather than old obscure music from the 80s.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
How the fuck has Bye Bye American Pie from Doom 2 not been mentioned yet? It's like the most blatant ripoff I've ever heard.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a thread where I Can get this off of my chest after 30 years!!!

Zillion first level song is a rip off of MASK theme song (or vice versa depending on when Zillion II video game first hit)

That section is in the first Zillion and was actually in the theme for the anime.

Here is the better SMS version:

MASK is older but I think the songs are sufficiency different. I really like the Zillion music and I did enjoy just listening to the music on the MASK C64 game, though, so maybe that means something.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah! Something I just remembered that smacked me in the face when I was a kid when I noticed it.
Blake Stone music for the second level (I think it's the second level)
https://youtu.be/5eHkjPCGXKQ?t=10 Led Zeppelin "The Immigrant Song" (edit: tried two different videos, neither allow embeds)

I didn't know about this other song though, I've seen people say that the main riff is just a copy for this song from Bach Turner Overdrive which seems to check out.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I went to a Guns and Roses concert 3 times and every time they play My Michelle I remember of Megaman X.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Orbital Ring Systems Cargo Bay from TvC, which is probably the best song in the game:

It's basically Better Off Alone:

It also sounds similar to a song I'd never heard of until I read the comments called Played A-Live (The Bongo Song) but it takes a minute:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a thread where I Can get this off of my chest after 30 years!!!

Zillion first level song is a rip off of MASK theme song (or vice versa depending on when Zillion II video game first hit)

Can't hear it at all. There are like three similar notes, maybe, but there's no possible way one is a rip of the other.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
For some reason, a lot of the game music I've listened to has a melody that's a straight ripoff of The Flintstones theme song.

ROM

Dec 28, 2017
What's the song that sounds just like Mario's Starman? I remember someone from the old place it posting and blowing my mind.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah! It's weird how many songs totally steal from The Flintstones. It has to be the most widespread conspiracy I've ever witnessed.
I think this is just someone who remixed the original track to make it sound like Flintstones as a meme based on as you said, how a lot of them sounds like Flintstones, haha.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
The second part of the Vs. England track in Super Dodge Ball sounds like a variation on A Hard Day's Night, which makes sense because Britain. The first part is a faster variation on Get Back, though that wasn't immediately clear to me.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
There are similarities in the buildups in Seizure of Power (Resident Evil Movie Soundtrack) and BFG Division (Doom soundtrack).

It's only a quick 4-5 second thing, but when I listen to one it always makes me want to listen to the other.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
This doesn't exactly fit the thread, yeah, this was super blatant for me. I remember the ridiculous defense force,

"She doesn't NEED to plagiarize"

But like bruh

They sound the same. Same genre, same vibe and choir. There's just no way Skyrim wasn't on the mind.

To be fair, all songs of that type sound the same.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I have an opposite example. There was this shitty Mexican girl band from the 90's/early 00's called Jeans that totally ripped off the Grandia 3 Opening.