• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
annotation2019-04-092cuktl.jpg

Dangerous Driving is the latest game from Three Fields Entertainment who are a seven person team made up of Criterion veterans. It is a low budget spiritual successor to the (pre Paradise) Burnout games.

Building on their previous low budget titles, Dangerous Golf, Danger Zone and Danger Zone 2, Dangerous Driving is the latest game in their iterative attempt to continually release games with technology building on the previous game (Dangerous Golf introduced their destruction physics, Danger Zone introduced vehicle physics, Danger Zone 2 introduced open racing environments).

It's available on PS4, Xbox One and PC (Epic Games Store only though… so booooo and all that). It is PS4 Pro and Xbox One X enhanced. Unlike most games, these versions are based more on performance offering 60fps rather than trying to push higher resolutions. Xbox One is 30 fps at 900p, PS4 30 fps at 1080p. Pro is 60fps at 1080p and X is 60 fps at 1440p.

Metacritic is around 69 on all versions.
Gamerankings score is not too far off basing off the most reviewed version (PS4).

Main criticisms are general unpolished feel and lack of music.

Yes. There's no music other than a menu title, however if you have spotify premium the game has ingame support for using your own playlist.

Again, lets remember that seven people made this game.

Positives are how closely it recreates Burnout 3 style gameplay.

Here is a video.

Online multiplayer is not currently in the game, but it is planned for after launch. Split screen is not planned.

Here is a picture so you can see how much it looks like Burnout 3.

Maximum_new_3.png

Single player is a series of events based on car class. Winning medals unlocks more events. Winning head to head races unlocks new cars. Beat the final event (a championship of multiple tracks) to unlock the next car class.

There are seven 'locales' based on North American national parks, with various routes for each, making up 31 courses.

There are 27 vehicles spread across six car classes: Sedan, SUV, Coupe, Supercar, Hypercar and Formula DD. (I pretty much copied and pasted this bit from their website.)

Here is a picture of a car:

Car_Coupe_Prototype_1080.jpg

Game modes cover a large variety of Burnout classics, like takedown events, head to head point to point races, even including pursuit events similar to Criterion's Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. 'Heatwave' events are more in the style of Burnout 2, where emptying your 'heatwave' boost meter in a single go will refill it and give you a multiplier. You should know the drill.

Their last game came out less than a year ago. Personally I think it's pretty great what the devs are doing with this development model, even if I understand why many will be unhappy with the lack of polish in this title.

But for me at least, it hits the spot for Burnout style racing in HD.

Although that third head to head in the Sedan class had some really janky stuff going on with the other car teleporting way ahead of me, or somehow ramming me a split second after the game told me I was twenty seconds ahead of it. And boy did it ram me when that happened, catapulting my car pretty much over the horizon.

To the three of you that made it this far before this plummeted off the main page, thanks for reading this OP.

EDIT: I took out the words 'Super lazy' from the thread title, because I realized people might think I was calling the devs lazy. I was referring to my OT, not the devs who have done a huge amount of work for such a small team. Hopefully no one got the wrong idea!

Last edited:

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a steeper angle for the camera besides almost directly behind the car? I feel like the view in the trailer means I can't see far down enough ahead of me.

also, is there a bumper camera mode?

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Is there a steeper angle for the camera besides almost directly behind the car? I feel like the view in the trailer means I can't see far down enough ahead of me.

also, is there a bumper camera mode?
Bumper camera, yes. Steeper camera behind that car? No, sadly. I too wish there was a more Burnout 3-esque camera angle behind the car, with the camera higher up. That said, I didn't find it difficult to see oncoming traffic and turns, but yeah, I'd prefer something steeper as you put it.

It's not too bad when you aren't boosting... but like... that's pretty rare. When you boost it pulls back and the FOV changes and it occludes more of the road directly infront of your car.

To be specific, there are just two camera views. Bumper and chase.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for whipping the OT together. For what it's worth I like the game quite a bit as I mentioned in the other threads. It has its fair share of issues but the sense of speed is very real. Additionally it's cool playing a racing game with no XP bars or micro transactions. Multiplayer needs to show up soon though

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'll be keeping an eye on this game and see what patches add. As hyped as I was when it was first announced as a successor to Burnout 3, too many things about the game currently have made me decide to take a wait and see approach instead of going through with my preorder.

I hope everyone who bought the game are enjoying it though!

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I bought the danger zones so we could get here one day, kind of a shame it's not fully baked.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Thanks for whipping the OT together. For what it's worth I like the game quite a bit as I mentioned in the other threads. It has its fair share of issues but the sense of speed is very real. Additionally it's cool playing a racing game with no XP bars or micro transactions. Multiplayer needs to show up soon though
I just wanted to post about my weird experiences in the Head to Head 3 event in the sedan class, and when there wasn't an OT to put it in, I figured, what the hell.

Seriously though I had some crazy stuff happen in that specific race. I was more than 30 seconds ahead. I crashed. Then I was apparently 90 seconds behind. Took me a handful of tries before that event, even though really I should have won multiple times before it finally didn't glitch out on me. That's the only event that I had those kinds of problems on so far. I've unlocked the second class of cars at this point and I'm going to call it a day.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was excited until I read that you need a premium Spotify account. Going to pass sadly, as much as I want to support the devs.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying it a lot so far after getting through all of the sedan events. The rubber banding can be fucked, as I've seen a car randomly just shoot past me at light speed like it was Marty McFly returning to the present and I had to work to get back in first.

Don't take this as the game being riddled with bugs. The issues have been maybe two minutes of the three or four hours I've put into it so far.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'll probably get it in a few days regardless of the performance on the base PS4 and the overall roughness. Hopefully this is one of those games that becomes better with patches, have the devs commented about potentially adding new tracks later?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So far I really like it, closest we've come to burnout-like game since like Most Wanted 2012 (which was also made by Criterion)

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Only 7 people made this game???? Amazing how far technology has come.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Game looks great, OT looks awesome.

Sadly I really would have wanted them to at least get some generic electro music. I'm not a Spotify fan and hate the practices that have led to them robbing artists of well-deserved pay days because of their size. The game looks really good and I'll likely grab it down the line (or hope that Sony adds support for Apple Music).

Definitely think the title of the thread should be in usual OT standards complete with a funny subtitle.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally behind the devs for trying to make a new Burnout game, but from everything I've seen this just lacks that visceral "oomph" that I love about the real Burnout games.

Watching footage of Burnout 3 after watching videos of this, it just doesn't have the feeling of impact down as well as Burnout 3; the way the camera and the vehicles react when you slam them, the particles, the vehicle deformation, the sound effects, the explosions, etc.

I know their golf game (Dangerous Golf) didn't get the highest reviews (but not too bad), but that's one I've still always wanted to try it, and it has some impressive graphics here or there (like statues exploding). Might pick that up to support the dev to keep trying to eventually make a Burnout spiritual successor that fully lives up to what I want from a modern Burnout game, and in the meantime just replay Burnout 3 on my XB1 and the Burnout Paradise remaster on my PC.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently it's a far lesser burnout, without a proper soundtrack to boot.

Plus, you know, they must not have had much faith in their game since they took that sweet, sweet Epic payout.

Fuggem. Will pick up for steam when it's stuck in a humble monthly next year.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks for the OT!! I'm having a blast so far with this game. It's 100% old school fun.
It's right up there with Burnout 2 & 3 gameplay / controls wise (but easier to control drifting). The new "persistent wrecks" are really awesome, it definitely spices things up.
PS4 Pro version looks pretty good, it's definitely better looking in person than streamed on Youtube... Also, don't worry too much about frame drops, it happens mostly during long point to point races, in a straight tunnel, when streaming a new environment... Think Outrun 2.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Game looks great, OT looks awesome.

Sadly I really would have wanted them to at least get some generic electro music. I'm not a Spotify fan and hate the practices that have led to them robbing artists of well-deserved pay days because of their size. The game looks really good and I'll likely grab it down the line (or hope that Sony adds support for Apple Music).

Definitely think the title of the thread should be in usual OT standards complete with a funny subtitle.
If you're not into robbing artists, you should also avoid Apple Music.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Damn I hate to say this but I don't blame them for taking the EGS monies as this one will probably sell poorly all around.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited for this game. I loved the Burnout games ever since the first one, and haven't had anything close to it in so long. I was even ready to put up with some jank if it nailed the feel.

But sadly, it didn't nail it. Everything just feels off to me. Drifting, accelerating, the way the cars bounce off rails weirdly, all of that stuff just feels different. And don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a game feeling different, but it feels different in a worse way to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's so many ways in which it just feels off. Just little things that add up.

I also hate how I can't just do regular old races that easily. There seems to only be one race in the coup class, so what if I want to race on the other tracks before I unlock a new class? Well tough, you have to do other events on those tracks. I'm fine with having to unlock tracks and stuff, but at least give me an option to race on tracks I've played in the campaign, I'd even settle for a time trial mode or something.

I'm just so disappointing in this. I think the fact that I let myself get hyped for it made it worse. It's a mediocre game that's entire sales pitch is "Hey! Remember that cool game from 2004?", and I fell for it hook line and sinker.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I was so excited for this game. I loved the Burnout games ever since the first one, and haven't had anything close to it in so long. I was even ready to put up with some jank if it nailed the feel.

But sadly, it didn't nail it. Everything just feels off to me. Drifting, accelerating, the way the cars bounce off rails weirdly, all of that stuff just feels different. And don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a game feeling different, but it feels different in a worse way to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's so many ways in which it just feels off. Just little things that add up.

I also hate how I can't just do regular old races that easily. There seems to only be one race in the coup class, so what if I want to race on the other tracks before I unlock a new class? Well tough, you have to do other events on those tracks. I'm fine with having to unlock tracks and stuff, but at least give me an option to race on tracks I've played in the campaign, I'd even settle for a time trial mode or something.

I'm just so disappointing in this. I think the fact that I let myself get hyped for it made it worse. It's a mediocre game that's entire sales pitch is "Hey! Remember that cool game from 2004?", and I fell for it hook line and sinker.
Once I got the hang of drifting so I didn't weirdly bounce of the rails (and it is weird) it started to click for me. Catching a series of perfect drifts while boosting through switch backs, swerving to avoid pedestrians and knocking opponents into walls hits the spot for me just as well as it ever did.

A quick race option is badly needed too like you say.

If anyone has figured out how to get the kind of start the other cars get let me know. Whatever revs I apply, when the countdown timer hits zero they seem to drop back to zero at that moment and I crawl off the line.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I've been enjoying it a lot so far after getting through all of the sedan events. The rubber banding can be fucked, as I've seen a car randomly just shoot past me at light speed like it was Marty McFly returning to the present and I had to work to get back in first.

Lol wow. I was watching the ACG review and he said the A.I. only ever boost when you do. Like at the exact moment you hit the boost, they do. If you don't boost, they don't. I think that needs fixed.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Are there any/many city tracks?
Everything I've seen are just big open roads and highways.
No city tracks which is a shame. Basically, they have a much higher density of detail and require a lot more man hours to create, so it was beyond this project it seems.

Lol wow. I was watching the ACG review and he said the A.I. only ever boost when you do. Like at the exact moment you hit the boost, they do. If you don't boost, they don't. I think that needs fixed.
Imagine getting rear ended by a car going at least that fast. Happened to me on one of the head to head races and my wreck went sailing out to sea.

Oct 27, 2017
Once I got the hang of drifting so I didn't weirdly bounce of the rails (and it is weird) it started to click for me. Catching a series of perfect drifts while boosting through switch backs, swerving to avoid pedestrians and knocking opponents into walls hits the spot for me just as well as it ever did.

If anyone has figured out how to get the kind of start the other cars get let me know. Whatever revs I apply, when the countdown timer hits zero they seem to drop back to zero at that moment and I crawl off the line.

Hopefully it will click with me too. I feel like I spent money on it so I need to keep trying. Maybe I just need to play it like it's its own thing, and stop comparing it to burnout.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017

Haven't tried it yet but someone on Reddit posted this:

- When the countdown starts, hold accelerate. Tap brake (then let go) so your wheels start spinning.
- Just as the countdown finishes, release accelerate and then immediately press accelerate again. You should boost and also have a full boost bar.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if I had to guess with a lot of the weird bugs involving boost and riding the rails that the devs didn't test much of the game while driving like newbie players.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Hopefully it will click with me too. I feel like I spent money on it so I need to keep trying. Maybe I just need to play it like it's its own thing, and stop comparing it to burnout.
The drifting is very different than Burnout, on most small corners there is no need to drift, you simply steer your car. The sharper corners you drift just enough, and then steer your car in the right direction, other wise you will oversteer. Everything else in the game is like Burnout, but without the polish of those games.

OP
OP
plagiarize

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

- When the countdown starts, hold accelerate. Tap brake (then let go) so your wheels start spinning.
- Just as the countdown finishes, release accelerate and then immediately press accelerate again. You should boost and also have a full boost bar.
I can confirm this works! Thanks! Makes a big difference.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017

This is how it worked in previous Burnout games, I'm surprised more people didn't know this

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I cant take this game seriously after seeing that rubberband gif.

Unless they fixed that shit, which I doubt.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
No real controversy in here, just people playing the game!
Myself included, only after receiving the game today. I do like that Danger Zone 2 is a separate application on disc instead of a code in the box.
I cant take this game seriously after seeing that rubberband gif.

Unless they fixed that shit, which I doubt.
I'm sure they will, on top of me randomly crashing whenever I graze on the railing for quite a while.