• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 2, 2019
So long story short, I'm on a quest to have a full wireless gaming corner, wich of course includes retro systems. Up to N64 its really easy, the issue comes with PS2, where I can't find any decent solution that, at best, it's as expensive as a Wavebird.

I heard about the Logitech controllers, but the shipping costs usually fucks them up. Is there something that would work and not break after a month of use?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
8Bitdo or someone will come up with a solution eventually, but right now there isn't a great option.

Deleted member 48436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
wondered abt it myself since i saw some wireless options on aliexpress but from the reviews they look subpar

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Been waiting ages for 8Bitdo to make a PS1/PS2 controller, kind of mad that there's six million different wireless Nintendo controllers but none for early Sony consoles.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope something comes along. Trying to find bog standard PS2 controllers has been nothing but a pain in the arse. I bought about 10 on eBay and every single one, despite looking clean, was fecked in various ways despite either being "refurbished" or in "full working order", all refunded.

Only got lucky once by grabbing a completely brand new one off someone.

Hoping they get a modern one like seemingly the other old consoles do.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Get a fat, back-compat PS3 and call it a day. PS2 never had good wireless controllers, i found the Logitech wireless controllers lacking back in the day. Can't imagine them in a used condition being any better.
You could throw a couple bucks at some knockoff wireless pads on Amazon and hope for the best?

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Get a fat, back-compat PS3 and call it a day. PS2 never had good wireless controllers, i found the Logitech wireless controllers lacking back in the day. Can't imagine them in a used condition being any better.
You could throw a couple bucks at some knockoff wireless pads on Amazon and hope for the best?
..and then pray the machine doesn't die within a month like the two distinct units I bought did.

Deleted member 48436

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
CFW'd PS3 would prob be a better option, and it's still not the most accurate one.

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Been waiting ages for 8Bitdo to make a PS1/PS2 controller, kind of mad that there's six million different wireless Nintendo controllers but none for early Sony consoles.

8bitdo was where I looked up first and even emailed them, but they don't seem interested in tackling post-16 bit consoles yet.

I hope something comes along. Trying to find bog standard PS2 controllers has been nothing but a pain in the arse. I bought about 10 on eBay and every single one, despite looking clean, was fecked in various ways despite either being "refurbished" or in "full working order", all refunded.

Tell me about it. My actual controller looks new, but seems to have been used to death and some buttons are unresponsive. It's my 5th controller.

Get a fat, back-compat PS3 and call it a day.

I've though about this, but the YLOD scares me. Maybe I'll get a moddable slim, but I dunno about compatibility

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I also would love a new PS2 controller. The ones I have have stick drift or faulty button (my select button is busted). I like the suggestion of the Brooks converter. Might have to look into that.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They even have diy boards to adapt original or PS Classic controllers... they "only" need to make a PS receiver and use those or your DS3 if you want analog.
That's what we really need, then can avoid the crappy dual shock for good. I've been using the PS2 Saturn pad for all my 2D games on PS1/2 for 15 years now to avoid the terrible dpad for fighters and shoot em ups.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Do Brook (I think that's the name of the company) offer an adapter to use PS3/4 pads on a PS2?

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
Do Brook (I think that's the name of the company) offer an adapter to use PS3/4 pads on a PS2?

It has been linked in the thread. I just found it on Amazon spain

Price is a bit... steep considering i don't have a DS4 with me anymore, but i'll get it sooner or later.

I've been looking for both the Katana and the Fanatec official controllers, but they're hard to come by

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
That's what we really need, then can avoid the crappy dual shock for good. I've been using the PS2 Saturn pad for all my 2D games on PS1/2 for 15 years now to avoid the terrible dpad for fighters and shoot em ups.
One receiver and I wouldn't use anything other than the SN30 Pro+ since they haven't made Saturn controllers yet and I don't like the M30.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
PS3s are a bad way to play PS2 games.
  • They don't handle interlaced games properly (which is most of them) and the output is blurred.
  • They're also very unreliable hardware.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
There's a homebrew app called OPL PADEMU that lets you use PS3 and PS4 controllers on a PS2 using a usb bluetooth adapter.

Haven't tested it myself.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a blast from the past.

Reminds me of how magical the Wavebird felt that generation. Not sure if it was the first really good wireless controller but that is the first one I remember being as good as a first party controller. Thats standard now but it was a novelty in the PS2 generation.

I think Logitech had the best PS2 and Xbox wireless controller back in the day, but it was still not great.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have my entire PS2 library (which isn't a ton lol) on a modded PS3 Slim. Pretty much has full compatibility and the glorious wireless lol

OP
OP
Reinhardt Schneider
Jun 2, 2019
I currently have my entire PS2 library (which isn't a ton lol) on a modded PS3 Slim. Pretty much has full compatibility and the glorious wireless lol

I have taken a look at the compatibility list and precisely the Ace Combat games (Wich I'm currently playing) don't seem to run very well :/

Component cables to a RetroTINK 2x or an OSSC is your best bet.

This is what I'm going with. Component through Retrotink looks beautiful

Reminds me of how magical the Wavebird felt that generation. Not sure if it was the first really good wireless controller but that is the first one I remember being as good as a first party controller.

I didn't got one back then but I remember the word of mouth. Bought one for my GameCube recently and holy fuck its good (Sadly mine is a bit beat up. I wish I were able to replace the worn down stick)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't got one back then but I remember the word of mouth. Bought one for my GameCube recently and holy fuck its good (Sadly mine is a bit beat up. I wish I were able to replace the worn down stick)
I think the controller was pretty expensive. The Cube was cheap as fuck but the accessories really added up.

That was a really fun and innovative generation. Dreamcast introduced online gaming to consoles, PS2 had the dvd player, Xbox had the hard drive which brought about the end of the memory card market the next gen, Cube had the first good wireless controller, etc.

All of those things are pretty much standard now but were really cool when they released at that point. Tech has gotten so advanced and user friendly it is getting harder to make those kinds of leaps.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Only got lucky once by grabbing a completely brand new one off someone.

Hoping they get a modern one like seemingly the other old consoles do.

Maybe try importing one from japan? Most everything I import from japan is in ridiculously good condition when it arrives.

Oct 29, 2017

That's probably partly because most people (even retro enthusiasts) don't actually play PS1/PS2 games on original hardware anymore. It's far more common to use PS3/Playstation TV/PC for PS1 games and to play PS2 games via PC emulation, or play the various PSN downloads for PS2 games on PS3/PS4. And of course, all of those platforms use wireless controllers already.

Original PS2 hardware is extremely unreliable (probably second only to Xbox 360 in that regard), and PS1 isn't great either. There isn't nearly as much demand, so I don't think that 8Bitdo will bother making something for PS1/PS2 for a long time, if ever...

I think that 8Bitdo's next obvious target is N64. It's absurd that we still don't have a Retro Receiver for the N64!

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the controller was pretty expensive. The Cube was cheap as fuck but the accessories really added up.

That was a really fun and innovative generation. Dreamcast introduced online gaming to consoles, PS2 had the dvd player, Xbox had the hard drive which brought about the end of the memory card market the next gen, Cube had the first good wireless controller, etc.

All of those things are pretty much standard now but were really cool when they released at that point. Tech has gotten so advanced and user friendly it is getting harder to make those kinds of leaps.
The PS2 is also indirectly responsible for modern eSports in that SOCOM spawned the website SOCOMBattles which became GameBattles.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The Logitech wireless controllers were the bomb diggity. Good ergo, weighty, great circular d-pad, just a great controller. Well, the original version. The gray button revision was sightly worse in all respects for sure. Wish I'd bought extras. Who the hell knew this would be an issue? Honestly, PS2 emulation is probably the way to go on this front, sad as that is.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Back in the day the Hori Anashin wireless controllers were the best ones available but finding some now might be real tough.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
If you have a modded PS2, a USB Bluetooth dongle and a PS3/PS4 controller, you can use them on the PS2 (with some configuration). I have it that way and I haven't noticed an issue input wise.

ferrismatic

Oct 29, 2017
I had one of these for PS2 and it wasn't half bad for the time. Looking it up I think it's called a Katana controller?
xZcw0Yx_d.webp

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
One receiver and I wouldn't use anything other than the SN30 Pro+ since they haven't made Saturn controllers yet and I don't like the M30.

The 2.4ghz wireless Saturn pad from Retrobit is actually really good. A batch did go out with stuck c buttons, but they will replace those for free, though at this point there shouldn't be any of those left in the wild.

There's a homebrew app called OPL PADEMU that lets you use PS3 and PS4 controllers on a PS2 using a usb bluetooth adapter.

Haven't tested it myself.

IMHO Stay away from bluetooth for vintage consoles. While modern stuff takes it into account, bluetooth has variable lag of up to a few frames, and that is something the PS2 isn't accounting for.

Is there a good HDMI solution for PS2?

Citrus3000PSI is working on one, though him and the other guy working on it are going to get the PS1 HDMI mod out first. They say they can take most of what they did on the PS1 and translate it over to the PS2 so it shouldn't be too long of a wait after the PS1 mod is out. At Too Many Games last year they were showing off the PS2 HDMI mod (this was before they decided to finish PS1 first) and it looked fantastic.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Learn how to play with the PS2 DVD remote. You'd be shit out of luck for games like Ape Escape, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for RPG type stuff.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
The 2.4ghz wireless Saturn pad from Retrobit is actually really good. A batch did go out with stuck c buttons, but they will replace those for free, though at this point there shouldn't be any of those left in the wild.

I'm actually waiting for that one to be available on Amazon Spain, since it's not officially sold here and I don't trust other retailers/importers if I had to use the guarantee.

I considered that for a while, but I don't have a Saturn controller I'd want to sacrifice.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Almost a year ago now I got a Blue Lake Performance controller and love it. I use it fairly frequently (a couple hours every week) on action heavy games (SoulCalibur II, Genji, and RE4) and it still works like a charm. They're $13 on Amazon.
61X1rlukjdL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
PS3s are a bad way to play PS2 games.
  • They don't handle interlaced games properly (which is most of them) and the output is blurred.
  • They're also very unreliable hardware.
Your second point, yes. Your first point, not according to My Life in Gaming. They did tests and found the output of PS2 games on PS3 rivaled that of the Framemeister, and you get a quality anti-aliasing solution that doesn't compromise sharpness and a straight digital output on top of that.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Your second point, yes. Your first point, not according to My Life in Gaming. They did tests and found the output of PS2 games on PS3 rivaled that of the Framemeister, and you get a quality anti-aliasing solution that doesn't compromise sharpness and a straight digital output on top of that.
I don't have a PS3 any more, but from what I remember: the PS3 can only output 480p over HDMI as its minimum resolution, not 480i, and it doesn't support 240p at all.
When outputting progressive from the PS3 you get combing in any game that runs interlaced because it doesn't do proper deinterlacing.
I had to run its output through a DVDO Edge video processor's Progressive ReProcessing feature to extract 480i from the 480p output and process it correctly. I believe it also had options to force the output as 240p rather than 480i.

As for the softening, there was a bad bug initially with the PS2 that was patched, but I seem to recall people saying that the output still had issues.
The comparison in that MLIG video does look good though, and so does the "smoothing" anti-aliasing option - though I'd like to see more of it. I don't remember the results being favorable at the time.