• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello good people of Do-Over Age,

I am making this thread because I need your help. I have had a significant technical issue regarding microphone input on my PC for months now, but the problem has become exacerbated now that my online multiplayer game du jour has added an excellent new game mode that heavily relies on team communication. Long story short, I have a headset, it's a cheap Corsair Void though I'm not certain which model within that line. It uses a jack that I'm not sure of the name of, but I had to use the included splitter to split it into 3.5mm input and output jacks. It is wired. Here is the issue: Windows can detect my headset just fine. When I enable talkback, I can hear myself through the OS, and when I speak, the microphone test menu displays that it's hearing me through that little meter. However, no chat programs whatsoever can hear me.

They detect my mic just fine, I can select it through the settings menu. But when I use voice activity, it doesn't detect a thing, and push-to-talk still leaves me broadcasting silence. This is true of every chat app I tried - Discord, Skype, Mumble, Teamspeak. I opened a ticket with Discord support only for them to, after a week straight of trying, close my ticket without solving it. I was pretty mad but I'm over it.

Here is a list of things I've done to try and solve the problem.

- Reset Discord settings.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Discord, and every other chat app, one at a time.
- Router fuckery, including forwarding various ports and turning off DMZ.
- Updating audio drivers.
- Uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers.
- Other things I can't remember but will update the OP with as people suggest them and I realize I already did them.

There is ONE THING I have tried that has ACTUALLY WORKED:

- Create a new user within Windows, install Discord from that account, and then use it from there.

This is obviously not an option unless I wanna redownload all my games again, onto an account which has no administrative privileges, which is like: nah.

So any chance any of you have any advice? I'm pretty much at my wit's end here.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! Our support reps will check your message and forward to the best person when necessary. We'll get back to you within 48 hours.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on Windows 10 feature 1803? They made it so you have to allow apps to use the microphone in the privacy section under settings. It was pretty stupid that they did that.
b57e923176.png

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Are you on Windows 10 feature 1803? They made it so you have to allow apps to use the microphone in the privacy section under settings. It was pretty stupid that they did that.

This is a good call, worth looking into Privacy settings. Microphone was turned off somehow post update and it blocked _all_ of my audio in, took me ages to figure out why I couldn't record from my cassette deck.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
That mic privacy thing is good to know, but on the off-chance it is not that, it sounds like an application running at your log-in may be take exclusive control of your mic and preventing other applications from accessing it. Though this seems like something you may have tried.

RTZCYnT.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello ResetEra, let me tell you the story about how I'm a dumbass.

This fine young poster here has successfully pointed out that my enjoyment of my precious video GAMES has been diminished for literal months because of a single switch in my settings. I fixed the problem in three clicks. I'm amazing at computers. Just the best.

Anyways, gonna report the OP for a lock, thank you to everyone who attempted to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.