• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Can they even fire someone for being transphobic outside of work? As in, what would be the mechanism for termination? Although I guess it's a US company, and employment is at will, so you can fire someone for anything not protected, right?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Can they even fire someone for being transphobic outside of work? As in, what would be the mechanism for termination? Although I guess it's a US company, and employment is at will, so you can fire someone for anything not protected, right?
Social media activity is enough to be fired anywhere I've ever worked.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what state LRG operates out of. Not all states are at-will. But yes, as SpottieO pointed out, public social media activity can be grounds for termination, especially if you're acting in a capacity as a representative of your company.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
NC is an at-will work state. You can be fired for any or no reason as long as it isn't a protected one like race, sex, religion, etc..

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
The sad reality is that the majority of Americans probably have somewhat transphobic views. Between conservatives and older generations not getting it, a disturbing amount of people have some hateful views. Progress is certainly being made, but I'm not surprised someone with those views would have been hired initially.

Anyway wouldn't be surprised if it got enough attention and they got either reassigned or let go. You have to be a pretty outlandish asshole to share your backwards views on social media.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina is an at-will state, so you can be fired for any reason whatsoever.

avec amour

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 25, 2022
A tweet from 2016 and her following a bunch of people doesn't warrant a cancellation.

Although she does follow Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder, so maybe she does deserve the boot…

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every state is at will, no? Minus Montana, but only 15 people or so live there.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Men don't need to use self-identification to pretend to be women to sexually assault them, cutting back trans rights isn't going to prevent the men who want to do this from doing it.

Fight the real threat, the actual abusers.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head up their arse, and that's putting it politely.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
How does this person square that with some of the games they publish, I wonder?

(Major spoilers for a popular visual novel they publish) The House in Fata Morgana, for instance.

OP
OP
OaklandKao

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
A tweet from 2016 and her following a bunch of people doesn't warrant a cancellation.

Although she does follow Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder, so maybe she does deserve the boot…
I'm not trying to cancel her. I'm questioning why the fuck a community manager of the bigger Limited Print company likely wants me against the wall.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Wasn't there something about the owner as well or am I misunderstanding? I swear I heard something else along these lines before. How hard is it for people not to be shitty.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The chances become exponentially higher that they'll let slip something on the official social media and cause the company direct harm. That's enough of a reason right there.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Lol I mean why follow a who's who rogues gallery of some of the worst people on the internet if not reflecting your values? This isn't 2006, social media isn't a curiosity, it is how people build their lives and identities

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

In my experience most people who are brazen enough to post open transphobia on Twitter don't just "get over it" in a few years.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
Don't we have another thing bad about this company as well from the past? (I really don't rememeber what it is or if it is LRG, so if I'm wrong please someone correct me)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is par for the course with twitter now. The platform is owned and operated by a far-right activist and the platform itself leans more and more in that direction every day. These people are becoming the social norm in that space, rather than seen as outliers and extremists.

But yeah, pretty wild that they ended up working as the community manager. I think these things slip through the cracks in other roles but the community manager is the type of role where they look at your pre-existing engagement in social media spaces before hiring as they help to serve as your credentials for the role. So they likely looked at her socials and were okay with what they saw. The community manager should absolutely represent the values of the organisation they are managing the community of as they are the point of contact for the community. The optics on having a transphobic community manager are incredibly poor and imply that the organisation itself is transphobic as these are values that the rest of the organisation must at least tolerate for her to hold that position.

Robbydude

Oct 25, 2017
g8d1tsY.png

lol

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Going to need more info on this. The quoted tweet is 2016, and that's a long time ago. People change. I just scrolled through her following list on Twitter and couldn't turn up the names she's supposed to be following, but that's a lot to sift through and all I really did was page to the bottom and use the search function. My torch and pitchfork are secured and put away, but on standby just in case.

Here's a link to her Following tab on Twitter. If you see the mentioned people there let me know, but my search came up blank.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
The sad reality is that the majority of Americans probably have somewhat transphobic views. Between conservatives and older generations not getting it, a disturbing amount of people have some hateful views. Progress is certainly being made, but I'm not surprised someone with those views would have been hired initially.

Anyway wouldn't be surprised if it got enough attention and they got either reassigned or let go. You have to be a pretty outlandish asshole to share your backwards views on social media.
I mean yeah but following Libs of TikTok is supporting next level hate. Her and the bearded pedophile literally call for the death of LGBTQIA+ people.

OP
OP
OaklandKao

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Going to need more info on this. The quoted tweet is 2016, and that's a long time ago. People change. I just scrolled through her following list on Twitter and couldn't turn up the names she's supposed to be following, but that's a lot to sift through and all I really did was page to the bottom and use the search function. My torch and pitchfork are secured and put away, but on standby just in case.

Here's a link to her Following tab on Twitter. If you see the mentioned people there let me know, but my search came up blank.
I just double checked and she's still following Libs of TikTok.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020

We've had employees fired for posting much less offensive things on social media (in the US).

This is a very bad look for LRG.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Around Transphobia and Engaging in a Derail

I mean this is literally nothing. Let's not start demonizing anyone who's excited for the Harry Potter game. Being optimistic about a AAA game involving one of the largest licenses in the world isn't some sort of dog whistle.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will depend on the job.

A community manager is going to be active online. Their online activity might be under more scrutiny.

My cubicle coworker at some random office could be all in on right wing media and transphobic and racist stuff but as long as they keep that personal and private it doesn't really matter. You can't fire someone for laughing at libs at tiktok. You might be able to fire them if they bring that shit to work or start harrassing people online and it comes out.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

image.png

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Following Libs of TikTok for years, who go out of their way to get people killed, really doesn't much room for doubt does it? They aren't subtle about it either

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How does this person square that with some of the games they publish, I wonder?

(Major spoilers for a popular visual novel they publish) The House in Fata Morgana, for instance.

Doubt they played it. That game, while amazing, also doesn't show its hand in regards to its theming for a good while either, so it's not like it's immediately obvious.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Give Limited Run some time to respond. If they keep her and nothing changes, then we can get upset and start boycotting them, but we don't know how aware of this they are. There's a decent chance that they are just learning about this from the tweet. Do definitely @ them and let them know that you don't like this, though, and spread the word! The more people saying that this makes them uncomfortable, the more likely that action will be taken. I may just be overly optimistic or charitable, but I have a pretty good feeling that Limited Run Games isn't going to like this.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Probably unfollowed and removed it, there's no way she hasn't seen the tweets calling her out.

She does love promoting Harry Potter though.

5 year member with 11 posts?

I will never understand how someone can be such a longtime member of a community yet never interact with it.

Sometimes people do. One of my friends was just a lurker from Neogaf, he never really posted. Maybe had 5-10 posts in the 5-10 years that he was there. He just had the account to read headlines of threads and keep up with gaming news.

The other explanation tends to be that it's an alt of someone that's more active. No reason to think that would be the case here, but the low post accounts that have been around for a long time could be around because they were made shortly after that person's main account was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.