• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
IkKyBMR.jpg
dbIjUhQ.jpg
SLoEXZU.jpg

This honestly looks like way more fun than the other versions of Turok Evolution.

The concept is really nice, but it's too hard for my taste.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a bit of a stretch, but I always loved how the sort of port of Starfox in Warioware Smooth Moves looks

Especially at a locked 60fps, and with a resolution boost when played with Dolphin.

God I want someone to remake Starfox 1 in HD with the exact original artstyle but just slick as fuck. Seems like something a small indie team could pull off these days.

lionhats

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I have a couple I guess:

First, the 1990 NES version of Elite, which I consider to be unusual for being the only officially released console version of the game (it was only released in Europe). For those into No Man's Sky, Elite is pretty much what originally inspired that game. It used procedural generation to create a free-roam sandbox with (I think) a few thousand 3D star systems in less than 100KB on PCs in the 80's. You couldn't land on planets but there was plenty to do in pretty much the same development paths as NMS: you could trade, kill enemy ships for money, etc. The NES version is special in itself because it's the only version that doesn't have the benefit of a keyboard, so they actually had to streamline the controls. Ian Bell, one of the developers of the original BBC Micro version, considers the NES port to be the best 8-bit version.

There were also going to be ports for the SNES, Genesis, and other systems which would've been really interesting. One day I hope Frontier or somebody does a portable version of Elite for Switch or something. There are some mobile clones though

The development for Elite and it's sequels are awesome and fascinating and the NES version is arguably the best, outside of the upgrades the Archimedes Elite port got, like 'living galaxy' (can wander in on on-going fights) and purchasable ships. The NES has a 2 player same ship co-op mode which is fun! Just wish there was some chill music playing (think Shadowgate/Deja Vu) while flying about.

Heres a video of someone completing the entire game!

How about Ultima 3 on GBC, the entire game plus a whole new extra story! Has all the PC features like the SMS Ultima IV, whereas the NES versions are more stripped down.

lionhats

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Oh yeah! I remember this mobile version of EPIII. Was a fun game

All of this is fascinating. As one user said, I really, really recommend Stop Skeletons From Fighting's Youtube Channel. It has a whole series dedicated to this topic.

GBA and DS versions were awesome - the same, a golden axe-esque fighter, very fun powers. DS version had a cool multiplayer space fighter combat game too.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wario Ware broke my heart with that Star Fox micro game because I hadn't played SF in like a decade and didn't like it at all, but after playing the micro game I thought "hey, that wasn't half bad!" so I went back to the original thinking it ran as smoothly and boy, I instantly remembered why I don't like it.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
Rayman 2 is an interesting one as its the same game but quality varies widely by platform. A game that is regarded as a ~9 rating game on the best platforms and as low as 4 rating on DS.

- PlayStation: original version with shitty load times
- Nintendo 64: original version with no load times and washed out visuals
- Dreamcast: probably the best version
- PC: probably second best version
- PlayStation 2: added content and a new subtitle as Revolution
- Game Boy Color: completely own game
- Nintendo DS: port of the N64 game with added features and super glitchy
- Nintendo 3DS: 3D version and better visuals

The 3DS version is a port of the Dreamcast version. It also has an unlocked framerate, and plays at 60fps if you overclock a New 3DS with homebrew software.

don't know if this was already posted, not going through 6 pages to find out

this is definitely the ugly sister of the JSR family, i completely forgot this even existed until I saw this OP. Those ear bleeding renditions of the soundtrack make me want to die

there's also the GBA Space Channel 5 which doesn't look anywhere near as bad

I played through the GBA version of SC5 before the console one. There are some fun reinterpretations of the soundtrack in the GBA version.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
No idea if you'd consider it weird, but I I was recently surprised by the fact that a "port" of Il2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey exists on the Nintendo DS:

I was already surprised by the existence of Birds of Prey when it released on the PS3 / XBox 360, but never knew that there was a DS game released alongside those arcade-sims.

Last edited:

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
God I want someone to remake Starfox 1 in HD with the exact original artstyle but just slick as fuck.
YES! Yes, yes, YES!

Back on topic, another title for the Atari Lynx : Steel Talons

It's probably a remake, because there's no way in hell anyone could port the original arcade code into the Lynx. Yet despite the low resolution and single-digit frame rate, it's surprisingly playable and decent.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved God of War: Betrayal on my old Motorola RAZR V3m. There's actually an open-source J2ME emulator for Android. They've released quite a few updates and God of War now works almost perfectly on my Nexus 6 :D
Thank you so much! I've been looking for something like this a while ago, I still have lots of old Java games I used to play in my Nokia 3200 and 5200. Loved the Gameloft titles from that era.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom rpg was a neat little retelling of doom on my old flip phone. Also had puzzle quest, but was essentially a boss rush mode.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No idea if you'd consider it weird, but I I was recently surprised by the fact that a "port" of Il2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey exists on the Nintendo DS:

I was already surprised by the existence of Birds of Prey when it released on the PS3 / XBox 360, but never knew that there was a DS game released alongside those arcade-sims.

Equally interesting is that the DS had 2 different versions of Trackmania, one of which was called Trackmania Turbo.

The Wii had a nice version too, including online sharing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Rockman Power Fighters for NeoGeo Pocket Color. It's the only port of both arcade games (aside from the unlockable extra in the PS2 Anniversary Collection). It demakes the game with NES style graphics.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rockman+neo+geo&_sop=15
T_T

I've known of this game for some time, and having gotten a Neo Geo Pocket some months ago...well I don't want to build an NGPC library, but this is a game I really want to get :S

What about the console port of Crysis 1? Sure the graphics were inferior, but it was actually running on a later version of the CryEngine (and thus had a few visual advantages over the PC original) and I hear they clipped or tweaked some of the later, weaker sections of the game. People actually want this version or something like it ported back to PC.
How so inferior? It had better lighting? They only dropped one level from the game.

TheMoon There is also Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for N-Gage, which evidently looks about the same as the DS version (Was released earlier i believe) aswell as Red Faction and Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm for the same system.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Wow, I gotta dig into the GBA library more. I always saw these ports as just cheap knock offs, but the unique aspects really has me interested.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
XCOM UFO Defense on PS1
XCom is awesome on PS1 (so was TFTD), but that's hardly exotic - both ports are basically 1:1 perfect to PC version, even slowdown occurs in similar places.

Anyway OT - it's not super-exotic, but DoA Paradise for PSP was a 1:1 port of 360 DOAX2, done in something stupid like less than 3 months. It's kind of fascinating it even runs at all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAL0Ib5zKEs

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The previous-gen versions of Star Wars: the Force Unleashed weren't too bad, despite lacking the technology that went into the 360/PS3 versions of the game:

I liked the animations in the then-current gen versions of the game, but it was surprisingly compent.

I found the DS port to be pretty interesting as well:

So obviously, no way the DS could run even a scaled down version of the then previous gen versions. The recreation is surprisingly faithful in intent though, including a combo system for the force powers (itself based on touch controls, allowing to use up to all six buttons), and some rather neat QTEs. Having to actually align your lightsaber to your enemy's is at least a bit more than just hitting the right button.

Ranma

Oct 27, 2017
Milan, Italy
did you know that there was a commodore 64 port of shadow of the beast? and it was astonishing...how could they do it?
only came out on cartridge

Oct 27, 2017
It was ok with the circle pad pro, but yeah the standard control scheme was...harsh.

Aside from the stuff mentioned in the OP, the 3DS version also had slightly better character models -for the main characters at least- plus an over the shoulder aim mode and i'm pretty sure it's only version of the game offering that. Unfortunately it was pretty rough performance wise. Framerate was bad, tons of aliasing and very aggressive grass pop-up.

Speaking of MGS...

it's not a direct port, but it's still based on MGS4.

I'm having flashbacks of the Carnival of Stupid.

Alone in the Dark 4 had a Game Boy Color port. It was technically impressive, the backgrounds were the same as the PS1 version.

PS1 :
reviewr1253-1.jpg

GBC :
aitdgb008.jpg

But it played differently with some kind of upper view random battles :
game_screenshot_9c34dcb6ab8d365c27a263f52e12e24d.jpg

The Dreamcast version is obviously the better looking one but I remember being super impressed at the PSX version and its light and shadows use and absolutely blown away by the GBC version in motion at the time.