Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FIiU6dVXMAI1mAu
Takoyaki-Burger-Japanese-weird-food-review-photos-Tokyo-Dom-Dom-3.jpg

St-Hubert-restaurant.jpg
0c4b875a7010912c7eb0ef62203cc451.png

It feels so grotesque. Like they sided with the HUMANS while all its kin get taken to the chop shop. And they're cool with being a flesh devoured in a corporate chain. T_T

My mind wanders. Share some pet peeves?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, who has a long weekend?

I know people hate them but Chick Fil A having cows as their "mascots" in their commercials is pretty clever.

As a kid, the anthropomorphic Mayor McCheese and the like always weirded me out, and then they introduced the six piece chicken mcnugget kids... like these are not the ingredients but the actual cooked food that are talking and laughing (along with some purple blob).

And every time my dad took me to Chuck E Cheese he reminded me that they basically have a rat as a mascot, making pizzas in the back.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dreading the day of The Laughing Cow coming out with a Vegan option, I can see it happening soon and ugh. (I run Vegan groups, the arguments that day will require a bottle of vodka).

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
My favorite Barbecue place growing up had this. They have long been out of business, but I used to think about the cartoon pigs cooking themselves all the time as a kid.

bec9a54e03ded7287b42a0db69985140.jpg

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Isn't it good that people are reminded where their meat comes from, rather than further divorce the food from its source?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it good that people are reminded where their meat comes from, rather than further divorce the food from its source?
To a degree but does it work; case in point "The Laughing Cow" clearly no cows are laughing; be it the young or those who have had their babies taken away and eventually slaughtered.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
To a degree but does it work; case in point "The Laughing Cow" clearly no cows are laughing; be it the young or those who have had their babies taken away and eventually slaughtered.

I think it totally does. Veganism is on the rise because kids with empathy to spare care about animals. They can't forget that animal suffering goes into the production of their food. I say this as a joyful meat eater.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
This is a part of why I've always been a fan of the Harold's Chicken logo. That chicken knows what's up, and don't want any part of the process lmao.

hhj4mmsrvmcx1t7gmd4q

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
And basically every hole in the wall BBQ place has a pig with an apron on the sign.

Chick-Fil-A's actually pretty unique in using one animal to advertise eating another animal.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't view the use of an animal mascot at an establishment that serves that animal in a meta context. It's just a way to get you to recognize at a glance what the restaurant serves. "Zaxby's" as a name has absolutely no inherent connotation to chicken. Ergo, a chicken mascot makes perfect sense to throw up on a billboard.

What skeeves me out more though is when they do cross the line with commercial advertisements of the mascots essentially advocating for cannibalism. Most notable example is the fucking Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials:

What the FUCK is this?

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite one of these:

daves_logo_FONT.jpg

It's got a pig, but he's actually involved in cooking his kin! And he appears to be hungry.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
My pet peeve is not getting holidays.

(I have a lot of actual pet peeves, but I'm too bummed about the holidays to recall them at the moment.)

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
i hate when i go to the website of a restaurant, and the website forces me to start an online order before i can see the menu, just show me the menu

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I do you one better.

How about when the mascots are the food being advertised and they eat each other?

www.youtube.com

Adelphoi : Cinnamon Toast Crunch 'Lick' Commercial

Project: Cinnamon Toast Crunch 'Lick' CommercialProduction Company: Passion Pictures, LondonAgency: McCann Erickson, New York We produced the music and sound...

I don't view the use of an animal mascot at an establishment that serves that animal in a meta context. It's just a way to get you to recognize at a glance what the restaurant serves. "Zaxby's" as a name has absolutely no inherent connotation to chicken. Ergo, a chicken mascot makes perfect sense to throw up on a billboard.

What skeeves me out more though is when they do cross the line with commercial advertisements of the mascots essentially advocating for cannibalism. Most notable example is the fucking Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercials:

What the FUCK is this?

This one is a bit more subtle (starting at 15s)

Saw this commercial all the time before I noticed one of the worms eating another.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same about Eid al-Adha days. Social media will be filled with pics like these

Olvp4M8LHrJjf7qRZBz0am7YA3pyJ02Igo96ErK9.png

%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%B1-%D8%B9%D9%8A%D8%AF-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B6%D8%AD%D9%89-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%83-2021-%D8%AC%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF%D8%A9-%D9%88%D9%85%D9%85%D9%8A%D8%B2%D8%A9-%D8%AC%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%8B-4.png

Yes I'm sure those sheep will be smiling in slaughter house lol

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Must be from Boston (Patriots' Day, coinciding with the Boston Marathon)

I don't feel strongly but it's understandable. That octopus is cute as hell though
Or a different country. Not everyone is American. Canada has a long weekend. St. Hubert isn't American, its Canadian.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it is kinda demented. Most people learned to disassociate meat with the process that brings it to chain restaurants.

I know someone who worked at a slaughterhouse type job and it sounded like it was mentally draining on the staff as well as the animals. Its just this absolute nightmare industry that's right under the surface of a fun family trip to the drive thru.

Last edited:

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
A fish focused restaurant in Finland. More abstract, but they are swimming right to their doom.

original-20110928-110928kalakauppa.jpg

Last edited: