• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So while it seems Sony allows it now, are they just upset that they seem to be dragging their feet on the whole "beta" timeline of this?

Sony is maybe half allowing it now.

There's not really a need to be exclusive to the biggest games around when most cross play integration, going by developers, is super simple and requires very few resources.
No one should have to have a beta for a crossplay approval program - let individual games run actual in-game betas with the implementation if need be, but the way it is now is a non-solution to games that aren't fortnite or rocket league. Which is most of them.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another dev whose game was PC/PS4 exclusive/crossplay since day one is complaining when they decided not to go exclusive anymore and want ridiculous demands from a company that has already announced that they support crossplay and are in beta phase?
except there's actually no beta program or phase and it's all marketing bullshit so sony can say "don't bother us with this shit, we're in beta". if MS/nintendo can one day decide they're gonna allow it for any game that wants it, so can sony.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not stanning for Sony or shifting any blame I'm saying what I hope comes from this. Not sure how that stokes console warring. Can we not discuss how this could affect gaming when implemented? what we hope happens?

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.
Probably. Carry on and ignore my Schottky.

Apparently you missed "Don't publicly shame Sony!"

I'm sure you understand how partnerships work. It's a double edged sword: publically shaming a partner always turns out ugly. I wish they just created an "association of cross-play", sign petitions and present it to the public without singling yourself out.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm happy that crossplay is happening. The constant reminder by developers who are chasing crossplay for money is silly to me. We all know its about money to them, not the community.

None are here talking with the community, and are sitting their in their high horse writing PR articles about "We stand with teh communitay" when they stand with Benjamin Franklin and his green little face.

Everyone is about the money. Their game is losing traction and they sat down with marketing, crunched some numbers and said "CROSSPLAY! TEH NEW FAD! Fortnite must be successful due to crossplay!"

I will post shit with a shit eating grin while I take a shit in the shitter, and still get more shit out of my system. Shit talk, Randy.

uXpeOFY.gif
Jesus Christ the absurd fanboy drivel shitposting present here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Plattform holders hate big policy changes midgen (especially as market leaders) - we all know its coming but Sony probably want to make it somehow to PS5 before making it official for all titles.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Good on Hi-Rez. All these studios stating that they hope/plan to implement cross-play (and sometimes cross-progression) has given me life. I'm looking forward to seeing the follow-through on the devs side (with or without Sony in the cross console pool) and supporting the feature with my engagement.

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to carry right over the the PS5 which is where sony probably going to change their policy then during their ps5 big reveal. To build up moment for their new system. which is why its all quiet from their side.
That would be one hell of a wet fart if they try to unveil this as a feature.
Sony is still pretending that Cross Play is this insane challenge, when they've been proven liars by pretty much every dev and other platform owner.
That in itself isn't what's surprising to me. What's surprising is the legions of people ready to stan for them just so they can stay in their walled garden. Brainwashed morons.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
sony totally thought they could make this all go away by doing a 1 time deal w/ fortnite, and no real plans to open up crossplay for anyone else

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
100%, this issue has been grossly overblown because MS started using it as a "Look what we are doing and Sony is not". There are bigger issues with Sony like a lack of PSn refunds, yet we never see articles or barely any talk about it... After saying that Sony needs to stop this dragging their feet it's dumb. They are just giving themselves bad PR time and time again, and no one benefits.
Absolutely. Furthermore, how about tearing that payed wall for free games MS?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if Sony wants to pay me a share of their profit for using me to sell their ecosystem, I'll allow it.

I never thought my mere online presence in a 3rd party multiplat game would become a marketable commodity, yet here we are.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm happy that crossplay is happening. The constant reminder by developers who are chasing crossplay for money is silly to me. We all know its about money to them, not the community.

None are here talking with the community, and are sitting their in their high horse writing PR articles about "We stand with teh communitay" when they stand with Benjamin Franklin and his green little face.

Everyone is about the money. Their game is losing traction and they sat down with marketing, crunched some numbers and said "CROSSPLAY! TEH NEW FAD! Fortnite must be successful due to crossplay!"

I will post shit with a shit eating grin while I take a shit in the shitter, and still get more shit out of my system. Shit talk, Randy.

uXpeOFY.gif

If you're serious, you have a horrible view of the matter. It's odd how you want to call out a studio for supposed greed but you're OK with Sony blocking a feature that benefits gamers for greed.

I feel like this is having the exact opposite effect as intended. Having an internal conversation with Sony about this is one thing. Going on Twitter trying to publically shame them is only going to make them double down harder.

When Sony refuses to work with them, what do they really have to lose? Companies should be publicly shamed more often for bullshit policies.

The fuck you mean reach out to them? They've already hit all the official channels before resorting to the only thing that seems to work.

If you check the spoiler you'll see it was a joke. People in the previous thread were making similar comments, assuming they didn't attempt to work directly with Sony before taking the issue to Twitter.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simple solution:

When PS5 comes out, Devs should simply refuse to put a cross-play able game on Sonys system.

Sony will come around then.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Alright, I've finally had my coffee. I apologize for my shitpost.

Devs, start a coalition. Start an association. Associations make things work, it's how it always does.

Don't go singling yourself out and shitting on a partnership. Things change when people/companies band up for a common goal, and weirdly the common goal here is uniting the communities.

(I'll probably start a website focused on crossplay, which companies are pro-crossplay, and what their statements are).

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Simple solution:

When PS5 comes out, Devs should simply refuse to put a cross-play able game on Sonys system.

Sony will come around then.

I'd be surprised to see any big time publisher do this. Not sure I like throwing playstation players under the bus to achieve this either but I'd hope they have this shit sorted out before the PS5 to be honest.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even simpler solution:

Sony should allow crossplay

My idea would speed up Sony doing a full 180 on their current polices though

I'd be surprised to see any big time publisher do this. Not sure I like throwing playstation players under the bus to achieve this either but I'd hope they have this shit sorted out before the PS5 to be honest.

They won't, and if it's such a huge deal then refusing to put the games on PS5 would speed up Sony on rethinking their stance.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is running a cross-play beta for one of the biggest F2P games out there, but of course, they're gonna fast track their process for 2 much smaller instances because they're moaning on social media. That's exactly how business works.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's cool that studios are pushing for it, but the feature must be on beta for a reason, so it's also kinda pointless.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
They won't, and if it's such a huge deal then refusing to put the games on PS5 would speed up Sony on rethinking their stance.

I'm still not even sure myself how big of a deal to people at large but this is but it is something I want implemented between everyone and can only see the positives. They'd be dumb to drag it out into a new gen instead of reaping the positive press they'll get from opening up.

your idea fucks over people who game solely on playstation consoles

Sony could just, you know, allow crossplay

it's simple and it doesn't needlessly fuck over their own player base like you're arguing for

This is where I'm at

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
That would be one hell of a wet fart if they try to unveil this as a feature.
Sony is still pretending that Cross Play is this insane challenge, when they've been proven liars by pretty much every dev and other platform owner.
That in itself isn't what's surprising to me. What's surprising is the legions of people ready to stan for them just so they can stay in their walled garden. Brainwashed morons.
Going from launch PS3 to in-game xmb PS3 then to PS4. I've come to expect it from Sony to do it lol

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think it's pretty obvious what Sony is worried about, and why they are dragging their heels on this.

As soon as EA starts supporting crossplay with FIFA, Madden, Battlefeild, Apex Legends, and as soo as the big one, Call of Duty supports it, all barriers are down, and people have less of a reason to convince their friends to buy a PS4 to play with them.

Having said that, supporting crossplay isn't going to turn the tides of the console war, but it would be a remarkable win for gaming in general. I would especially love to see more services like Play Anywhere, it brings back split screen type gaming for people who own multiple systems.

Oct 26, 2017
Going from launch PS3 to in-game xmb PS3 then to PS4. I've come to expect it from Sony to do it lol
Ingame XMB was actually a huge effort since they had to rewrite the whole OS and due to their hardware design wasn't a trivial thing.
This however is just dragging out the inevitable with some of the flimsiest excuses ever. At this point it's just Sony playing favourites and delivering half measures to drag this out as long as possible.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
your idea fucks over people who game solely on playstation consoles

Sony could just, you know, allow crossplay

it's simple and it doesn't needlessly fuck over their own player base like you're arguing for

Unless another game comes along and garners the same backlash Sony received for Fortnite then I don't see Sony budging on this issue because they have no reason to financially.

But if they start to miss out on games as a result of their decision making that would definitely cause them to sit up and rethink things, and then we'd all enjoy cross play and Sony would get the games again.

Again it's just an idea that'll probably never happen anyway.

I'm still not even sure myself how big of a deal to people at large but this is but it is something I want implemented between everyone and can only see the positives. They'd be dumb to drag it out into a new gen instead of reaping the positive press they'll get from opening up.

Considering next gen is about a year away from being shown off it's real unlikely they'll allow cross play before then. If they were going to change they'd want to save it for the PS5 showing along with backward compatibility.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I think it's cool that studios are pushing for it, but the feature must be on beta for a reason, so it's also kinda pointless.

I mean, if Microsoft and Nintendo can do it with limited to no issues then surely Sony can as well? Especially when you factor in that the heavy lifting for crossplay seems to be on the developer side anyway. The whole "beta" thing just seems like a shitty excuse.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Considering next gen is about a year away from being shown off it's real unlikely they'll allow cross play before then. If they were going to change they'd want to save it for the PS5 showing along with backward compatibility.
Microsoft is going to unveil their crossplay plan at GDC, which is a month+ play. I'm sure Sony will unveil their plan close to it or when they announce PS5 or its plans.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless another game comes along and garners the same backlash Sony received for Fortnite then I don't see Sony budging on this issue because they have no reason to financially.

But if they start to miss out on games as a result of their decision making that would definitely cause them to sit up and rethink things, and then we'd all enjoy cross play and Sony would get the games again.

yeah it's a pretty dumb idea. you're basically moving the onus off of Sony and onto developers at the expense of gamers. never mind that you'd be asking developers to limit the audience they would sell their game to, many of which need all the help they can get. we hear it all the time with indie game development where a game's success or failure determines whether or not those people can actually continue to make games and, you know, pay rent and eat and stuff. so yeah, pretty dumb idea. the simpler version is still for Sony to just allow crossplay because it benefits everyone. it shouldn't take some united front of game developers skipping their console. that you even think that is more reason to keep the onus specifically on Sony.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a fantasy doomsday scenario. It would probably work, but that's not something anyone should want before the alternative, which is just Sony giving the thumbs up. Get the fly swatter before the shotgun.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's a pretty dumb idea. you're basically moving the onus off of Sony and onto developers at the expense of gamers. never mind that you'd be asking developers to limit the audience they would sell their game to, many of which need all the help they can get. we hear it all the time with indie game development where a game's success or failure determines whether or not those people can actually continue to make games and, you know, pay rent and eat and stuff. so yeah, pretty dumb idea. the simpler version is still for Sony to just allow crossplay because it benefits everyone. it shouldn't take some united front of game developers skipping their console. that you even think that is more reason to keep the onus specifically on Sony.

That's a fantasy doomsday scenario. It would probably work, but that's not something anyone should want before the alternative, which is just Sony giving the thumbs up. Get the fly swatter before the shotgun.

Fair enough, I don't see Sony coming around until possible PS5's launch, and if they still haven't changed by that point then they never will.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if Microsoft and Nintendo can do it with limited to no issues then surely Sony can as well? Especially when you factor in that the heavy lifting for crossplay seems to be on the developer side anyway. The whole "beta" thing just seems like a shitty excuse.
I mean, there's no evidence of it being a "shitty excuse", so it's not something I have entertained. It's cool that Microsoft and Nintendo do it, but I wouldn't assume it's something "easy" just because they already do it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's no evidence of it being a "shitty excuse", so it's not something I have entertained. It's cool that Microsoft and Nintendo do it, but I wouldn't assume it's something "easy" just because they already do it.
It's "easy" in that Sony literally doesn't have to do anything but tell them it's ok to do. Games have "accidentally" had console cross play turned on before. Fortnite is doing it right now. They've been doing PC cross play all gen. I can't imagine what ducks they have to get in a row on their side besides to say "We'll allow it".

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hi-rez is a joke. They just want people to double dip on their games. I was initially excited about the prospect of playing paladins on my pc instead of my xbox but once i realized i had no access to my progression i immediately uninstalled. They can't claim its for any other reason than them wanting you to buy the same shit twice as well because they originally offered account merging, likely until they realized it was cutting into their sales. Now linking accounts is essentially pointless. Additionally they don't tell you crossplay is defaulted on, on consoles (without even telling you it exist) and if you turn it off queues become insane (additionally turning it off requires you find it buried in a long list of settings). Im not against crossplay giving a game more longevity, but Hi-rez just seems like their trying to suck every dime out of their consumers while at the same time being as deceptive/unclear as possible.