• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Extensive history of 'lazy dev' rhetoric and port begging
They announced today that on top of Paladins, SMITE and Realm Royale are coming to the Switch;

- they all hit 60 fps,
- they will support Cross play and Cross progression for Switch, Xbox One and PC.
- they showed that it's totally possible to support 4 platforms.
- they added highly requested features like gyro controls. (and brought that feature even on PS4)

Which reminded me that for an entire year we've heard that it's tough to support 4 platforms, that Switch hardware maybe can't handle games like Overwatch (despite it runs on shittier PCs),... And here we are with a company significantly smaller than those delivering no big deal.

Food for thought.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is objectively hard to support additional platforms. That can change depending on what tools you use and such, but it's inherently always going to take more work. That's not a myth, just a matter of capability (if only in terms of having people/money to throw at it and not necessarily skill) and priority.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
It could also be because Hi-Rez is infamous for how bad they can manage their games so it really doesn't matter how many platforms they need to support.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Not to defend Blizzard but the recent update they pushed which made everyone basically reinstall the game (about 20 gigs) could be preparing for something in the future like supporting Switch.

We don't know yet. It could be just something that eases the devs life by making the engine more flexible to new stuff added.

We will see but OW is hopefully coming to the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying there is parity between say switch and the PS4 version, no downgrades? Because if not, the "complaints" are still valid.

Not saying it is impressive though.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One company does not mean all companies.

Some games running do not mean that games X,Y or Z will run.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Come on man. You can't compare Paladins and Smite to something like Overwatch. I'd be willing to bet money there's more going on under the hood in OW that isn't allowing it to be just a simple port to Switch.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People said Switch can't handle Overwatch? That's dumb. Do they not realize that lowering of settings exists?

That said, Hi-Rez isn't the best company to talk about support...

Shazbot :[

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hardly pointless.

Can RDR2 run on Switch? Assassin's Creed? Battlefield? No, that's why it's missing many big games.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games that run on laptops from 1 decade and a half ago run well on the switch?

What a revelation

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch mitigates lack of power with portability. It's a strategic decision that doesn't require justification or apology.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What point are you trying to make here? Plenty of games will run on Switch if the developer puts in the time and resources. And plenty of games will not run on Switch, no matter how much the developer would love to bring it over.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Kind of an odd analogy you're bridging here.

It would be like saying "Well, they ported NBA 2k to Switch, so Final Fantasy XV should be no problem".

Games that struggle to run 30 FPS on the base PS4 are probably not going to be #1 candidates for Switch ports.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly pointless.

Can RDR2 run on Switch? Assassin's Creed? Battlefield? No, that's why it's missing many big games.

You probably could get all of those games to run on Switch, the question is what sort of visual and frame rate compromises would be needed (and would buyers accept said compromises) and would they be worth the cost of porting the game especially with lower margins due to Switch card prices.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
It could also be because Hi-Rez is infamous for how bad they can manage their games so it really doesn't matter how many platforms they need to support.

Yeah, they released broken patch after broken patch for Smite on PS4 a while back and drove me away from any of their games. Them having multiple platforms they put all their games on doesnt mean they all receive adequate care.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quake's release on the Sega Saturn proves that complaints about its 3D hardware are overblown.
(/s)

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think hardware alone is the reason. I think companies don't think it's worth it to port things over to the Switch. It will likely take more work to downport games and the sales just might not be there, or the publishers don't think they will. Plenty were likely taking a wait and see approach to Switch hardware sales and we'll see more support going forward.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Come on man. You can't compare Paladins and Smite to something like Overwatch. I'd be willing to bet money there's more going on under the hood in OW that isn't allowing it to be just a simple port to Switch.
He's not wrong about it running fine on worse hardware. Overwatch runs fine on gpd win and win2 which are weaker than the Switch in handheld mode.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Switch hardware isn't great, but i love it. If i need ultra high end power ill just go to my PC, but most of the time i rather game in a relaxing position. I seriously feel the switch can do more hardware wise if more games were developed exclusively on the hardware by certain devs.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People said Switch can't handle Overwatch? That's dumb. Do they not realize that lowering of settings exists?

That said, Hi-Rez isn't the best company to talk about support...

Shazbot :[
To be fair, the PS4 version already has occasional struggles with Moira, Hammond, & now Ashe regarding the frame-rate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
What point are you trying to make here? Plenty of games will run on Switch if the developer puts in the time and resources. And plenty of games will not run on Switch, no matter how much the developer would love to bring it over.

I think Blizzard and others could have totally made their games earlier but they were in the "i don't know if i want to support the Switch" period.

Having said that, It's more than likely OW will come out next year.

Last edited:

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
None of what you pointed out invalidates any complaints. It just means not all games are the same. Some titles can do this some can't. Something like Battlefield or COD would have a much harder time doing of that. But sure given enough money and time they could make it happen. I mean we did get CoDs on Wii and Vita.

I think the fact HiRez makes free to play games is a huge incentive for them to be on as many platforms as possible which is why the system requirements even on pc are low.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
tbh with how optimized some stuff is I can see the switch running destiny or overwatch at a locked 30 for destiny, and 60 for ow.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
I'm constantly impressed by my Switch and really love the platform, but I don't think it could acceptably run Overwatch.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lobotomy had some of the best software engineers in the biz. I'm not sure that's an apt comparison to Hi-Rez.
The point is that a single game running well on a console might be because of numerous factors specific to that game's specifications and that developer's particular talent and it says very little about the ease of developing or porting a title to a console or the console's general capabilities relative to other pieces of hardware. My comparison is an inane as any that uses a single title to make general claims about development.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Not this thread again.

I'm sure you can make AC: Odyssey run on Switch by making it look like AC: Liberation on Vita. The question is: would you even want it if that was the case?

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I saw a thread here recently stating that nintendo themselves don't think the switch is not an appropriate platform for all third party/multiplatform style games.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Given the success of Diablo 3 on Switch, I imagine Blizzard is discussing an Overwatch port right now, if they weren't already.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend Blizzard but the recent update they pushed which made everyone basically reinstall the game (about 20 gigs) could be preparing for something in the future like supporting Switch.

We don't know yet. It could be just something that eases the devs life by making the engine more flexible to new stuff added.

We will see but OW is hopefully coming to the Switch.

I would play the shit out of that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Overwatch-

Reminder that we had a very reliable pre-E3 2017 leak that called two Metroid games, a Kirby game and Overwatch for Switch. Only Overwatch never happened for whatever reason. So the announcement was pulled for some reason.

There's no way it would even get to the state where it was on a sheet of paper with planned announcements if it couldn't run, so that has never been the issue. It's likely more to do with workload and patching an additional system.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For Blizzard I think D3 was testing the waters, I fully believe Overwatch is next on switch for Blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.