• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Hi-Ten Bomberman (The first HD video game ever created) disc has been acquired by Game Preservation Society

For those of you who don't know, this was a specialized version of Bomberman that was shown off at various events back in 1993. Allowing 10 player Bomberman matches on what were the earliest HDTV sets available at the time. (To give you an idea on how new this tech was back then, one unit running the game costed about 200,000,000 yen to make, or 2 million US Dollars.)

Unfortunately, the actual hardware the game runs on hasn't been acquired yet. Which could cause some issues in terms of making an emulator for this.

Apr 24, 2018
is it 1080p60fps though.....
1035i, as it would have had to follow the existing analog “Hi-Vision” HD standard that Japan had at the time. It might have *also* been quad field interlacing instead of dual field interlacing, but there’s no way of knowing without having the original hardware and seeing if it output Hi-Vision RF or direct RGB/Component.

Aug 20, 2018
w
1035i, as it would have had to follow the existing analog “Hi-Vision” HD standard that Japan had at the time. It might have *also* been quad field interlacing instead of dual field interlacing, but there’s no way of knowing without having the original hardware and seeing if it output Hi-Vision RF or direct RGB/Component.
so is it still using analog signals?

Apr 24, 2018
w

so is it still using analog signals?
Not anymore, of course. Hi-Vision was a super niche HDTV standard that Japan had in the 90’s. It was all analog, and had to be because digital video compression wasn’t even feasible for SDTV until 1991 or so when MPEG-1 got introduced, encoding and decoding hardware for MPEG-1 with enough bandwidth and processing for real-time 1080i would have been unobtainable. Being 1993, it was analog or nothing.

Nov 12, 2017
Not anymore, of course. Hi-Vision was a super niche HDTV standard that Japan had in the 90’s. It was all analog, and had to be because digital video compression wasn’t even feasible for SDTV until 1991 or so when MPEG-1 got introduced, encoding and decoding hardware for MPEG-1 with enough bandwidth and processing for real-time 1080i would have been unobtainable. Being 1993, it was analog or nothing.
What was the very earliest year that it was possible?

Oct 27, 2017
Apr 24, 2018
What was the very earliest year that it was possible?
Not too much later. There were already digital broadcast TV systems being developed, but none of them would broadcast until 1996, and all of them would use MPEG-2 instead of MPEG-1. There's not really any info out there on when what grade of encoder hardware became available when. The best guess I could think of is 1995.

Oct 25, 2017
Safe to assume that’s a 1080i projection CRT?

Not that it’s entirely relevant, but being “the first HD game”, being the first game to meet the HD spec is a bit of a technicality, as there were “SVGA” (blanket term for higher res monitors at the time) games at the time... just a different standard.