Hi-Ten Bomberman (The first HD video game ever created) disc has been acquired by Game Preservation Society

Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me of how John Carmack programmed the Quake engine with an insanely rare and expensive 100lb 1080p CRT back in 1994/5:

Two things...

that must've been the only 1080p CRT, and mid 90's? What the heck? (medical monitor or something?)

Edit- I think there were some Sony PC CRT Monitors that were 1080p..could be wrong.

I wonder if I can find that Next Generation Shirt.

Oct 25, 2017
Two things...

that must've been the only 1080p CRT, and mid 90's? What the heck? (medical monitor or something?)

Edit- I think there were some Sony PC CRT Monitors that were 1080p..could be wrong.

I wonder if I can find that Next Generation Shirt.
VGA CRT monitors could go up to 2048x1536, which is common for 21" 4/3 monitors. I don't think bigger displays with higher resolutions were made. widescreen CRT monitors were very uncommon, but I believe 1080p was easily attainable. The ratio really took off at the same time as LCD panels, so CRTs never quite got the time to shine in that respect. Some widescreen CRT TVs could do up to 1080i and 720p, but they're TVs.

Oct 28, 2017
VGA CRT monitors could go up to 2048x1536, which is common for 21" 4/3 monitors. I don't think bigger displays with higher resolutions were made. widescreen CRT monitors were very uncommon, but I believe 1080p was easily attainable. The ratio really took off at the same time as LCD panels, so CRTs never quite got the time to shine in that respect. Some widescreen CRT TVs could do up to 1080i and 720p, but they're TVs.
Trust me I was ready to buy one of those Sony Monitors when the PS3 was out. I had the Sony 34" Widescreen CRT that had a built in Subwoofer..and yes 1080i/720p. This other poster (same TV) at the old place and I, were both holding out from getting LCDs...messenging each other, trying to stay strong... but eventually both "upgraded".

Anyway getting off topic..

Interesting that a traditional video game was the first... figured it would have been one of those animated Dragon Lair games.

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing.

Were there really no earlier PC games that supported arbitrary resolutions, though? That seems like the sort of thing that someone would have made at some point, even if they didn't actually own a monitor that could display the game in HD.

This reminds me of how John Carmack programmed the Quake engine with an insanely rare and expensive 100lb 1080p CRT back in 1994/5:
They were expensive, not rare. Super common in video production houses. I got one secondhand in the Detroit area in like 2006 for $200 or so.

Sold it when I moved to an apartment briefly in 2014 or so and went to LCD. Sigh. Still miss the old beast.

Nov 10, 2017
How impossible is this dream?

For someone at Game Preservation Society to read the the disc or extract the data, and find someone who could figure out emulation, perhaps by reverse engineering it.
Make it available for everyone to play on PC.