• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

For those of you who don't know, this was a specialized version of Bomberman that was shown off at various events back in 1993. Allowing 10 player Bomberman matches on what were the earliest HDTV sets available at the time. (To give you an idea on how new this tech was back then, one unit running the game costed about 200,000,000 yen to make, or 2 million US Dollars.)

Unfortunately, the actual hardware the game runs on hasn't been acquired yet. Which could cause some issues in terms of making an emulator for this.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit! We need more people like this dude who actually wanna preserve shit instead of hording it. Awesome.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
is it 1080p60fps though.....
1035i, as it would have had to follow the existing analog "Hi-Vision" HD standard that Japan had at the time. It might have *also* been quad field interlacing instead of dual field interlacing, but there's no way of knowing without having the original hardware and seeing if it output Hi-Vision RF or direct RGB/Component.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
facts_rumors_htb_04.jpg

Amazingly thin bezels for the time

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
w
1035i, as it would have had to follow the existing analog "Hi-Vision" HD standard that Japan had at the time. It might have *also* been quad field interlacing instead of dual field interlacing, but there's no way of knowing without having the original hardware and seeing if it output Hi-Vision RF or direct RGB/Component.

so is it still using analog signals?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
w

so is it still using analog signals?
Not anymore, of course. Hi-Vision was a super niche HDTV standard that Japan had in the 90's. It was all analog, and had to be because digital video compression wasn't even feasible for SDTV until 1991 or so when MPEG-1 got introduced, encoding and decoding hardware for MPEG-1 with enough bandwidth and processing for real-time 1080i would have been unobtainable. Being 1993, it was analog or nothing.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. I had no expectations that this would ever see the light of day again.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Not anymore, of course. Hi-Vision was a super niche HDTV standard that Japan had in the 90's. It was all analog, and had to be because digital video compression wasn't even feasible for SDTV until 1991 or so when MPEG-1 got introduced, encoding and decoding hardware for MPEG-1 with enough bandwidth and processing for real-time 1080i would have been unobtainable. Being 1993, it was analog or nothing.

What was the very earliest year that it was possible?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
HOLY SHIT! Takahashi-meijin is the GOAT! And I wouldn't use that stupidly over-used term lightly.

THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING! I'm hyped beyond belief!

I'm not even the biggest Bomberman fan out there, lol.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
What was the very earliest year that it was possible?
Not too much later. There were already digital broadcast TV systems being developed, but none of them would broadcast until 1996, and all of them would use MPEG-2 instead of MPEG-1. There's not really any info out there on when what grade of encoder hardware became available when. The best guess I could think of is 1995.

M-PG71C

Oct 29, 2017
One step closer in seeing it get re-released through emulation. It would be insane to play it lol

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
this game reminds me of playing 12 player bomberman on my saturn (i have no idea how i was able to get ahold of 12 controllers back in the day, let alone 11 people for couch-coop)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Safe to assume that's a 1080i projection CRT?

Not that it's entirely relevant, but being "the first HD game", being the first game to meet the HD spec is a bit of a technicality, as there were "SVGA" (blanket term for higher res monitors at the time) games at the time... just a different standard.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm more surprised that Takahashi Meijin himself contacted the organization! He was quite a famed celebrity back in '80/90s Japan.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me of how John Carmack programmed the Quake engine with an insanely rare and expensive 100lb 1080p CRT back in 1994/5:

$
4wPjql.jpg