• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This reminds me of how John Carmack programmed the Quake engine with an insanely rare and expensive 100lb 1080p CRT back in 1994/5:

$
4wPjql.jpg

1080p, really? What was the model?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me of how John Carmack programmed the Quake engine with an insanely rare and expensive 100lb 1080p CRT back in 1994/5:

4wPjql.jpg

Two things...

that must've been the only 1080p CRT, and mid 90's? What the heck? (medical monitor or something?)

Edit- I think there were some Sony PC CRT Monitors that were 1080p..could be wrong.

I wonder if I can find that Next Generation Shirt.

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Two things...

that must've been the only 1080p CRT, and mid 90's? What the heck? (medical monitor or something?)

Edit- I think there were some Sony PC CRT Monitors that were 1080p..could be wrong.

I wonder if I can find that Next Generation Shirt.

VGA CRT monitors could go up to 2048x1536, which is common for 21" 4/3 monitors. I don't think bigger displays with higher resolutions were made. widescreen CRT monitors were very uncommon, but I believe 1080p was easily attainable. The ratio really took off at the same time as LCD panels, so CRTs never quite got the time to shine in that respect. Some widescreen CRT TVs could do up to 1080i and 720p, but they're TVs.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
VGA CRT monitors could go up to 2048x1536, which is common for 21" 4/3 monitors. I don't think bigger displays with higher resolutions were made. widescreen CRT monitors were very uncommon, but I believe 1080p was easily attainable. The ratio really took off at the same time as LCD panels, so CRTs never quite got the time to shine in that respect. Some widescreen CRT TVs could do up to 1080i and 720p, but they're TVs.

Trust me I was ready to buy one of those Sony Monitors when the PS3 was out. I had the Sony 34" Widescreen CRT that had a built in Subwoofer..and yes 1080i/720p. This other poster (same TV) at the old place and I, were both holding out from getting LCDs...messenging each other, trying to stay strong... but eventually both "upgraded".

Anyway getting off topic..

Interesting that a traditional video game was the first... figured it would have been one of those animated Dragon Lair games.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that guy on the bottom, he should have blown himself up like 8 times. Who plays Bomberman where you can't blow yourself up.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
That's incredible!

I wonder if anybody ever played it on one of those crazy expensive HDTV's at the time. I didn't even know they existed in the early 90's.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing.

Were there really no earlier PC games that supported arbitrary resolutions, though? That seems like the sort of thing that someone would have made at some point, even if they didn't actually own a monitor that could display the game in HD.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

They were expensive, not rare. Super common in video production houses. I got one secondhand in the Detroit area in like 2006 for $200 or so.

Sold it when I moved to an apartment briefly in 2014 or so and went to LCD. Sigh. Still miss the old beast.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Pretty great stuff here. I didn't realize it had ties to Saturn Bomberman either, one of my favorite games of all time.

Old photo of one of my many, Saturn Bomberman party set ups :)
73522_10150103981983989_1813119_n.jpg

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
How impossible is this dream?

For someone at Game Preservation Society to read the the disc or extract the data, and find someone who could figure out emulation, perhaps by reverse engineering it.
Make it available for everyone to play on PC.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one would think the recipient of this disk would've tried popping this thing in a drive to look at the data and reported it to Cifaldi before making this announcement?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I cannot help but feel hopeless about this game ever being recovered and one day emulated. It is one of those holy grails for me.

Is all hope really lost?

This is also my number 1 reason for hating Konami. I blame them for not preserving this treasure that Hudson created.

Oct 26, 2017
Check out this HD footage of New York. Captured with one of the first HD cameras in existence, in 1993:

Beauty and the Beast came out that year, and was only 5 years after Oliver and Company. So many people and architecture have come and gone since then surely. :( This was 26 years ago. Looks almost like it was filmed super recently, extremely ahead of its time.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I cannot help but feel hopeless about this game ever being recovered and one day emulated. It is one of those holy grails for me.

Is all hope really lost?

This is also my number 1 reason for hating Konami. I blame them for not preserving this treasure that Hudson created.
It was a different time back then. Zero thought was given towards game preservation because it was assumed no one would want to play old games after their generation had passed. That goes double for arcade and niche projects and triple for tech demos.

It's honestly worse that companies like Sega have lost the source code to a lot of games like the original House of the Dead since they weren't even handing it off to some other company or anything.

Games just weren't taken very seriously as an art form.

It reminds me of how back in the day a lot of films were lost because the film was recycled to save costs making new movies.

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
How will you feel when you find out Konami likely had nothing to do with how it ended up?

So many more things in game history can/should/will be recovered. Support the efforts. Dwelling on one artifact doesn't go very far.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017

Is all hope really lost?

Sadly Meijin hasn't commented about this since that day, so I guess this is on limbo again.

Also let's take in consideration that there is still a lot of things to do first if they find the HDD: as far as I know the game worked on an unique HD signal because at the time there were no HD standard, it isn't like you can just connect it with a HDMI port and that's it. They probably will need to find that TV too and I think it wasn't owned by Hudson but by the two game centers in Japan were they do the test (that doesn't exist anymore, both of them).

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sadly Meijin hasn't commented about this since that day, so I guess this is on limbo again.

Also let's take in consideration that there is still a lot of things to do first if they find the HDD: as far as I know the game worked on an unique HD signal because at the time there were no HD standard, it isn't like you can just connect it with a HDMI port and that's it. They probably will need to find that TV too and I think it wasn't owned by Hudson but by the two game centers in Japan were they do the test (that doesn't exist anymore, both of them).

I know it was a unique HD format, 1035i and analog not digital. AFAIK it was NHK's Hi-Vision HD standard used for television broadcast in Japan.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Is all hope really lost?

This year Team 17´s long lost Witchwood game was uncovered on an old Amiga 4000 someone had in storage in the US.

It's just a prototype since the game was canceled prety early in development but stuff like this is found all the time.

So there's always a sliver of hope

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This year Team 17´s long lost Witchwood game was uncovered on an old Amiga 4000 someone had in storage in the US.

It's just a prototype since the game was canceled prety early in development but stuff like this is found all the time.

So there's always a sliver of hope

That's cool, and I have hope that many other prototype games from the 16-bit era will be uncovered and given to us over time, as that happens fairly often it seems.

I suppose it would be far easier for a talented, passionate developer to recreate Hi-Ten Bomberman from scratch for modern hardware, based on the available footage and pictures that are out there--Rather than hoping the actual code is found, studied and emulated.